• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

BeeDog said:
1) Do the enemies spawn differently from Normal?

Nope.

BeeDog said:
2) Is it the case of "lose more health from each attack", "enemies take more shots to kill" or both?

The necromorphs hit like a truck. Two hits at BEST will put you down. Don't get hit.

BeeDog said:
3) The ammo drop frequency for let's say the Plasma Cutter, is it the same or much lower?

The same. I went through it with two weapons to maximize the chance for ammo drops of just those two weapons.

BeeDog said:
4) Any particular weapon that works well on Impossible?

The line cutter is your friend.

BeeDog said:
5) Any other stuff I should know beforehand?

Stasis. Stasis. Stasis. Boss fights are punishing. Don't get hit. Learn when you MUST fight and when you can simply run away. Running away is good.

bigdaddygamebot said:
The necromorphs hit like a truck. Two hits at BEST will put you down. Don't get hit.
Does that mean they still take the same number of shots to kill as on Hard? Because on Hard I try not to get hit at all anyway.

The one bit I'm not looking forward to is the room
on the medical deck not long after you first meet the regenerator, where the regenerator is in there as well as a bunch of other necros, and you can't open the door to exit until all of the other necros are dead.
That room really messed me up on Hard, more so than anything else including the boss fights or quarantine rooms. That was the first time I had to bite the bullet and buy ammo from the store.

endlessflood said:
Does that mean they still take the same number of shots to kill as on Hard? Because on Hard I try not to get hit at all anyway.

The one bit I'm not looking forward to is the room
on the medical deck not long after you first meet the regenerator, where the regenerator is in there as well as a bunch of other necros, and you can't open the door to exit until all of the other necros are dead.
That room really messed me up on Hard, more so than anything else including the boss fights or quarantine rooms. That was the first time I had to bite the bullet and buy ammo from the store.

I'm worried about that part, too. I might just bite the bullet and use the stasis cheat for situations like that...

BeeDog

Thank you bigdaddygamebot. :(

But is it really true, can you use the cheats without losing the possibility of getting the achievement/trophy?

Bildi said:
How about doing your second run with plasma cutter only, and at the same time maxing out all your weapons. Just because you're maxing them out doesn't mean you have to use them. That way they'll be maxed out by the time you finish your second run or soon after.

You can probably get the remainder of your 30 kill-per-weapon achievements when you're doing the impossible run.

You might as well get the 30 melee kill achievement while you're doing your second plasma-cutter only run. The second run is also a good time to go for the "get grabbed by a lurker 10 times" achievement.

Thanks for the tip as well...will definitely try this

Dizzy-4U

Quick question guys: My copy of the game will be arriving next week along with the Downfall bluray. Are the animated comics inside the game as extras like Heavenly Sword?

I'm asking this because I want all the animated issues in a DVD, so I want to know beforehand if I need to download them from Gametrailers (low quality) and make a DVD out of it or if they are already inside the game.

Dizzy-4U said:
Quick question guys: My copy of the game will be arriving next week along with the Downfall bluray. Are the animated comics inside the game as extras like Heavenly Sword?

I'm asking this because I want all the animated issues in a DVD, so I want to know beforehand if I need to download them from Gametrailers (low quality) and make a DVD out of it or if they are already inside the game.

There not in the game ...you can either watch them via Gametrailers or PSN ...and yeah, they absolutely add to the story as a whole. Dare I say, they're even more important than Downfall

I beat the game a few weeks ago, was about to play through it again, but stopped after the intro sequence because I have a question...

So, basically, Isaac was living in denial or something to that effect about Nicole being dead and committing suicide in the video message? I mean, Kendra DOES ask "How many times have you watched that thing?" Just wondering.

Revolutionary said:
I beat the game a few weeks ago, was about to play through it again, but stopped after the intro sequence because I have a question...

So, basically, Isaac was living in denial or something to that effect about Nicole being dead and committing suicide in the video message? I mean, Kendra DOES ask "How many times have you watched that thing?" Just wondering.

read the last few pages as they answer/interpret this question

Dizzy-4U

AgentOtaku said:
There not in the game ...you can either watch them via Gametrailers or PSN ...and yeah, they absolutely add to the story as a whole. Dare I say, they're even more important than Downfall
Thanks. I'll grab them from GT then. They have the same quality like in PSN, right?

No45

Dizzy-4U said:
Thanks. I'll grab them from GT then. They have the same quality like in PSN, right?
No, the quality on GT is way down from those on the PSN (Actually this is a general statement on the quality of HD videos on GT, maybe these have been uploaded at a decent bit-rate?). For some reason the first episode isn't available in HD on GT either.

KingJ2002

i got to say this game is my GOTY... it surpassed gears 2 and tales of vesperia. everything about this game screams polish... and i was actually hesitant to turn corners at times because of the game creepy atmosphere (i usually dont get scared playing horror games.. usually they're terribly cliche so i just laugh my way through them... not this one though).

im not going to do a second / third playthrough (going to send it back to gamefly) but i did check out the prequel dvd and read the backstory... so im looking forward to the sequel.

this isnt really a knock to the game... but the influence from halo to resident evil is all over this game... in fact... you could say if you take resident evil 4 gameplay and halo's "flood" levels... smash them up... and give it a B-movie plot... then you got dead space.

I get the RE4 influence, but what does Halo have to do with this. I don't play Halo, it's just I found nothing similar to Halo at all.

anyway, although the shooting looks like it borrow from RE4, just the over the shoulder view imo, and many games use that nowadays. the atmosphere is all Dead Space's own trait, and I'd argue that is the biggest selling point. so I don't think just mashing RE4 with other game equal Dead Space.

akachan ningen said:
Why didn't anyone tell me how amazing this game is?! Just started it yesterday.

positive reviews, huge thread, not very or any major negativity toward the game... everything is in front of you...

do you want us to come and change your diaper too ? .. I kid I kid

Unregistered007 said:
positive reviews, huge thread, not very or any major negativity toward the game... everything is in front of you...

do you want us to come and change your diaper too ? .. I kid I kid

I blame the boring title for this thread.

masterkajo

Ok... I do not think I am a top player (no pun intended) and mostly lose when playing Halo 3 online (not without taking a lot of guys with me, of course). However, I do have some skills and dare to say I am a solid casual player with a lot of experience. I consoder myself above average, so to speak.

BUT I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO BEAT THAT ***** ASTEROID MINI GAME. Is there a trick to do this or do I just totally suck at it? The last line I always hear is: "Just one more minute..." (Does he expect me to really last one more minute? My shields are almost down the instant he says this...). Help me GAF?

Shodan

Banned
Game = AMAZING

Shidoshi was right when he said this game feels like (in a way) a successor to System Shock.

But that movie...yeah that has got to be the worst animated ANYTHING I've seen in my life. I've watched fan made hentai with better plots.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dyno said:
Anyone seen/got pictures of what the new armours look like?

I keep checking this thread for answers. I'm willing to try Impossible mode if one of the DLC packs ends up looking fuck awesome.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
masterkajo said:
BUT I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO BEAT THAT ***** ASTEROID MINI GAME. Is there a trick to do this or do I just totally suck at it? The last line I always hear is: "Just one more minute..." (Does he expect me to really last one more minute? My shields are almost down the instant he says this...). Help me GAF?

The only achievement I will not end up getting is the 50% survival of asteroid game. I have all the others(minus that and Impossible mode completion...which I will do eventually)

Dyno

Brandon F said:
I keep checking this thread for answers. I'm willing to try Impossible mode if one of the DLC packs ends up looking fuck awesome.

You and me both man. You and me both.

PICS!!! Unitology demands pics!

Also a related question: I heard there was a glitch that if you finished a game then the military suit might be available to you at the higher difficulty once you get to the store. Anyone know about this? Did they finish it on Hard and the military suit was available when they played on Impossible?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Brandon F said:
The only achievement I will not end up getting is the 50% survival of asteroid game. I have all the others(minus that and Impossible mode completion...which I will do eventually)
Yeah I'm beginning to think I won't get it either. My best score is 14%. :(

Jive Turkey said:
I don't know about my score but I did quite well in the PC version. I played with my controller but for that section I just switched to the mouse :D

Haunted

akachan ningen said:
Why didn't anyone tell me how amazing this game is?! Just started it yesterday.
akachan ningen said:
I blame the boring title for this thread.

And that, kids, is why we need long and elaborate official thread subtitles.

Ngamers said:
I don't know about my score but I did quite well in the PC version. I played with my controller but for that section I just switched to the mouse
:lol I did the same after dying twice with the 360 controller.

masterkajo

YES! I did it! 4% of shields remaining... but it took me like 34 times. That should really have been made easier. Well, on we go!

Morts

Dyno said:
Also a related question: I heard there was a glitch that if you finished a game then the military suit might be available to you at the higher difficulty once you get to the store. Anyone know about this? Did they finish it on Hard and the military suit was available when they played on Impossible?

I don't know if it's a glitch, but when I started Impossible I was already wearing the level six suit from my playthroughs on Normal.

djkimothy

Jive Turkey said:

Keep trying! It took me 10 tries just to get that trophy.

At normal you start off at 85% but it's just barely enough. You just have to get lucky with the placement of the asteroids. A good tip would be to quickly use both laser muzzle withe the big asteroid that splits up into 3. Just do a quick tap twice and the big asteroid with it's split off will be taken down easily. You just have to be quick with it.

The best thing you can do is play the percentages. There will always be a group of asteroid plus 1 that's no where near the group. Obviously you want to focus on the group rather than the 1 or 2 loner asteroid.

I managed to finish the trophy with 52%! So it's possible.

I do admit that the acceleration of the turret doesn't help much.

KingJ2002

Callibretto said:
I get the RE4 influence, but what does Halo have to do with this. I don't play Halo, it's just I found nothing similar to Halo at all.

anyway, although the shooting looks like it borrow from RE4, just the over the shoulder view imo, and many games use that nowadays. the atmosphere is all Dead Space's own trait, and I'd argue that is the biggest selling point. so I don't think just mashing RE4 with other game equal Dead Space.

i didnt mean "Halo" but "Halo's Flood"... The necromorph remind me of the flood.

masterkajo said:
Ok... I do not think I am a top player (no pun intended) and mostly lose when playing Halo 3 online (not without taking a lot of guys with me, of course). However, I do have some skills and dare to say I am a solid casual player with a lot of experience. I consoder myself above average, so to speak.

Stay in the center panel... only veer into the sides for sure things. When you have a big asteroid coming at you, use both triggers (to fire both sides of the cannon), otherwise, just use one trigger (ammo lasts longer that way).

I played through that section abou 30 times before I got it... just don't give up.

Bildi

Yeah, stay in the middle, start shooting early before you see them and also shoot around the middle if you happen to get a break (you'll destroy a few in the distance before they show up), and watch particularly for big asteroids and fast asteroids coming up in the middle.

I can't remember if I used one or two triggers but I recall two streams of bullets so I must have done it with two triggers. It took me several goes before I didn't die, and in all probably around 20-30 goes to get the achievement.

No45 said:
No, the quality on GT is way down from those on the PSN (Actually this is a general statement on the quality of HD videos on GT, maybe these have been uploaded at a decent bit-rate?). For some reason the first episode isn't available in HD on GT either.
The PSN versions are generally better quality, but they have the profanity censored out (unlike the GT versions).

BeeDog said:
But is it really true, can you use the cheats without losing the possibility of getting the achievement/trophy?
I'm told that's the case too, although I haven't the guts to try it. I guess it comes down to the fact that the cheats (except for oxygen and stasis recharge) can only be used once per 'game file' (i.e. only once, even if you do multiple rounds). I fully intend to use every cheat I can get my hands on for Impossible, plus exploit the
Military
suit glitch if I can :D

TChirath

Neo Member
Just tried out a bunch of new DLCs today. Some suggestions --

If you want to get the most out of DLC without wasting MS point, get Tank and Heavy Damage pack.

If you already have either of those 2, Military pack is a waste since the upgrade overlaps with Tank pack (I tried both and did not notice any difference in power). Speed kill pack is for variety and provides a good set of fast-firing guns if you want completeness. Steam punk gun is also another option that doesn't overlap.

So, any of these combination is fine --

1. Military pack (all guns upgrade, no armor) - 320 MS
2. Tank + Heavy pack (all guns upgrade + the best armor (60% armor rating compared to the lvl 6 suit's 30%) - 320+240 MS

Again, if you are already getting either Tank or Heavy, do not get Military.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Whoever thought the Shooting stuff with the ship cannon was fun needs to say sorry.

Seriously wtf, the 1st one is unbelievably frustrating, the 2nd one is even worse AARRHHSHRHHAS-BFasnkd gvkjasb foçvb ajklsdfb jklanfv. mbnad.flvb asdnvbklasdnlfkbnadf

I wanna brake the disk in half. Seriously.

WrikaWrek said:
Whoever thought the Shooting stuff with the ship cannon was fun needs to say sorry.

Seriously wtf, the 1st one is unbelievably frustrating, the 2nd one is even worse AARRHHSHRHHAS-BFasnkd gvkjasb foçvb ajklsdfb jklanfv. mbnad.flvb asdnvbklasdnlfkbnadf

I wanna brake the disk in half. Seriously.
I agree with the 1st one, but the 2nd one? The 2nd one was insanely easy, I did it on my first try and got the achievment :D.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
WrikaWrek said:
:__/

How? Teach me pleaaaaase

it's very easy. shoot on the glowing bits, but concentrate on the ones in the middle. If the thing throws shit at you, you can shoot that too to avoid being hit.

got the achievement first try too. getting it on the first segment, that's something else

WrikaWrek

Banned
Darunia said:
it's very easy. shoot on the glowing bits, but concentrate on the ones in the middle. If the thing throws shit at you, you can shoot that too to avoid being hit.

got the achievement first try too. getting it on the first segment, that's something else

What i did was, focus on 1 at a time, and go from left to right. Instead of trying to kill multiple at the time.

Finished the game.

Overall, i guess it's really not my kind of game, but it's well done, if a bit repetitive. The end Boss is probably the most visually stunning boss i've seen in a game yet, but it might be because i just played it :lol

Story is weak, it's too gamey, and the ending cutscene didn't need to end with a cliche of the genre.

But it wasn't bad, the game that is. It's a really good looking game too.

vpance

Finished the game, pretty soured on it by the end. By Chapter 7 it really drags. Story was horrible, and some characters are built up for nothing really. Monster closet shit was annoying as fuck so I cheesed them back sometimes by going to a corner and waiting for them to all come out of a vent. Played this on Hard which was probably the wrong choice since it's so gamey and spawn trigger happy.

It's good for a Doom style game though, I guess. Wouldn't dare compare it with certain other great 3rd person shooters though.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
WrikaWrek said:
What i did was, focus on 1 at a time, and go from left to right. Instead of trying to kill multiple at the time.

Finished the game.

Overall, i guess it's really not my kind of game, but it's well done, if a bit repetitive. The end Boss is probably the most visually stunning boss i've seen in a game yet, but it might be because i just played it :lol

Story is weak, it's too gamey, and the ending cutscene didn't need to end with a cliche of the genre.

But it wasn't bad, the game that is. It's a really good looking game too.

Yeah, I'm on Chapter 6 and the game's starting to lose my attention. It's certainly no Bioshock, and it's certainly no Gears of War--but it's certainly a Resident Evil 4 :D.

I'm having a problem getting scared: I can't get scared anymore. I try to immerse myself in the sounds and sights to make me tremble with the game's purported amazing atmosphere, but it's just turned into a kinetic shooter now, it seems. The scares in this game seem to be of the "jumpy" variety, as opposed to Silent Hill's psychological terror which I'm more interested in.

I don't know. Maybe I over-hyped myself for this and now I'm constantly questioning how much fun I'm having and how scared I'm getting at every juncture.

And the story is too cliche for my liking. The manner in which it's presented is obviously very much like Bioshock and as such, very grabbing in that regard, except the content is nowhere near as good. The back of the box pretty much summarizes most of the story you glean in the first five hours of the game. Pretty much all you need to know: aliens infect a ship of miners. Eh.

Still, it's fun, albeit not as fun as some other games I've been playing as of late (BK: N&B, LBP, NGII). Definitely amazing presentation and polish though--this game clearly had a lot of love poured into it and it shows.

Dave1988

atomico

the Maxed Out trophy is taking longer than I expected. I'm down to chapter 6 on my 2nd playthrough (on normal) and I still need 17 more power nodes

the suit upgrades ruined me :lol

kinda burning out on DS. I don't think I'll do the "impossible" round

Dave1988

endlessflood said:
Thanks for the pics Dave. Astro suit looks pretty bland IMHO - wouldn't mind seeing the Tank armour though.

I like the Astro suit because it looks like an EVA-002 ripoff :lol

The Tank armor is your normal lvl 5 outfit. The only difference is that it's white and covered in Unitology texts.

MMaRsu

So how do you kill the boss in chapter 6? I killed the first tentacles, then I ran out of ammo. Oh and I sold all my weapons except for the Plasma Cutter and got mad ammo for that.. Because I hardly ever use the other guns and I haven't put any upgrades in it..

Top Bottom