• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

MMaRsu said:
So how do you kill the boss in chapter 6? I killed the first tentacles, then I ran out of ammo. Oh and I sold all my weapons except for the Plasma Cutter and got mad ammo for that.. Because I hardly ever use the other guns and I haven't put any upgrades in it..

After the tentacles, shoot it in its stupid mouth. Just dodge the pods and aim for the orange bit.

Saya

MMaRsu said:
So how do you kill the boss in chapter 6? I killed the first tentacles, then I ran out of ammo. Oh and I sold all my weapons except for the Plasma Cutter and got mad ammo for that.. Because I hardly ever use the other guns and I haven't put any upgrades in it..

Shoot the tentacles, after that catch the things he throws at you from his mouth with kinesis and throw them back at him. That's how I beat him.

MMaRsu

Saya said:
Shoot the tentacles, after that catch the things he throws at you from his mouth with kinesis and throw them back at him. That's how I beat him.

Hmm I did that as well, after that another batch of tentacles went up and I was like -_-

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
So chapter 9...

Holy shit! There were so many enemies that I ran out of ammo twice during a couple of battles. One of those battles was the infirmary quarantine. I bought so much ammo at that once I managed to make it through alive. :lol Are there any good strategies for the "soldiers" that stasis does nothing to slow down? I pretty much just shoot them in the body. Also, does anyone have any tips for the tall, lanky guys that release the spider heads when they die? Those damn spiders always get me. I'm starting chapter 10 now. Is 10 or 11 much harder than 9?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
LunaticPuma said:
So chapter 9...
Twitchers do slow down with stasis...Whack them with that. Or just slap them with the line gun. As for the lanky buggers I used the ripper to finish off the spiders.

LunaticPuma said:
So chapter 9...

Are there any good strategies for the "soldiers" that stasis does nothing to slow down? I pretty much just shoot them in the body.
well
shooting of their legs will slow them down..

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
well
shooting of their legs will slow them down..
Yep but with the line gun you don't even really have to aim. Just shoot in thier general direction. They have low HP and a fully tweaked gun will kill them pretty much anywhere you make contact.

Jive Turkey said:
Yep but with the line gun you don't even really have to aim. Just shoot in thier general direction. They have low HP and a fully tweaked gun will kill them pretty much anywhere you make contact.
yeah, i'm just using the plasma though ;)

xabre

Banned
Finished the game. Definitely excellent, up there with the best of the genre. It's good to see games of this caliber being made by big western studios. The budget shone through with some real high production values and voice acting that is quite frankly the best I've heard in a game. Well told story as well, though a little cliché.

The last boss was easy, visually unreal, but easy. Beat it first go. That was a surprise considering that I wouldn't really consider this an easy game at all. Quite the contrary. Compare that with the Lvl 6 boss which took me an age to beat.

Great game, but I still can't bring myself to start it over again (first playthrough was on Hard) to try to get the remaining trophies. I'm still at 49% and I'm not reveling in the idea of having to play it through at least 2 more times quite yet, as great as it was the first time around.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No45 said:
No, the quality on GT is way down from those on the PSN (Actually this is a general statement on the quality of HD videos on GT, maybe these have been uploaded at a decent bit-rate?). For some reason the first episode isn't available in HD on GT either.

Should I watch them (PSN ones) before or after getting too far in the game? Do they spoil the game's story or do they make it more enjoyable to discover it as you play through the game?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it the other night - great game, and the closest we ever got to a proper Alien movie atmosphere since EA's own Project Firestart on C64.

I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end, final boss was indeed a sight to behold, but I still preferred the boss at end of level 6 for the sheer creepy factor.

What I liked the most though is doctor's pet creature, and both segments were you deal with it. Quite possibly my favorite moment in the game was
watching that damned monstrosity burn to crisp from the shuttle's engine fire
. That moment there is where it sealed it for me how much developers must have enjoyed making this game. The purple fringing color effect used during those several seconds is not seen anywhere else in the game, and is so meticulously crafted to look awesome, I was astounded. Also, the animation that plays there so perfectly conveyed the mindless power behind that thing dying in agony, but even then trying to kill whatever it was thinking was attacking it. Such a short, but such a perfect moment.

Also, the very last few seconds made me jump even though such scenes almost never do in the movies. I revisited that scene to try to figure out what was it that made it so effective, and I think it can be attributed to a great audio design, where in a split second you hear it being right-there-next-to-you, because of the excellent utilization of rear speakers, but also very well thought out distorted look of the familiar character and the way she was animated.

Rolf NB

Re the ending and overall story
"Make us whole again" is not real Nicole's wish for Isaac to fix their relationship, but is the wish of the hivemind, or rather whatever causes the hallucinations, projected to Isaac through a hallucination of Nicole. Other crewmembers suffered the same hallucination though, most prominently Dr Keyne you meet in chapters 10 and 11.

There are actually two options to consider as the source of hallucinations, it could either be the hivemind or the marker itself. The hivemind might want to be reunited with the marker, and thus made whole, but this seems to contradict the information given earlier that the marker would pacify the hivemind ... which it really doesn't, as seen at the very end: the hivemind is aggressive as all fuck, despite the close proximity to the marker. Dr Keyne gives this information to the player and he may well be wrong.

The marker itself could potentially be the source of all the hallucinations. One of the post-game logs describes how the marker stifles the necromorph transformation (which is significantly termed as creating a "dead space" around itself, a space where stuff stays dead). Another suggests that it emits a lot of fancy waves that might influence people's brains. If the marker's purpose is to pacify the hivemind, telepathically puppeteering the people around it to further that goal might be part of its (alien) design.

I still don't fully get what the connection between the two is supposed to be.
The marker is not the cause for the necromorph infection. The cause is some sort of alien bacterium (there's a text log for that). Why then does the infection break out exactly at the time when the marker is recovered? Potentially the bacterium could be on the marker, if whoever designed the marker to defeat the bacterium had missed their chance to kill it off in its dormant state.
That's about the only explanation for why the marker and the infection start at a shared origin, but that doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with it.

I get the feeling that the story aspect of the game just didn't really get done.

In other news, I hate the flamethrower. Its ammo efficiency is the worst of any weapon in the game by a landslide. It has no stopping power at all. Its damage is laughable.
While gunning for the trophy, I'm softening up basic enemies with a useful weapon and finish them off with the thrower. As soon as I have the trophy, I'll swap it away and never look back. Terribly weapon.
Keep in mind that I'm doing this on impossible difficulty. Other weapons drop enemies just fine on the same difficulty though.

In related news, the ripper is so awesome, it's almost an exploit. For any other weapon, if you pick up one ammo pack, you may be able to kill one enemy with it if you hit exactly the right spots, maybe damage a bystander as well, but that's pretty much it.
With one pack of ripper ammo though, you can kill four basic necromorphs. Plus the ammo has really nice resale value, which is easy enough to take advantage of, because you're using so little.

In meta-related news, I noticed how some weapons (particularly the force gun, but stasis as well) just don't work at point blank range, even though they should. It's as if the hit detection hull starts at the end of the weapon (or arm), but if an enemy comes close enough, the start of that is behind them.
This gets really annoying in that one control room above the cargo bay
where you attach the comms beacon, then sever the gravity tethers and launch the asteroid into space
. You just can't do anything but stand in one corner in that room. The center of the room is blocked with a desk, and enemies come to you from both sides. There's no way you can move around to avoid this issue.

If there's a sequel, this issue really should be adressed. The force gun is by design more effective at close range. It makes no sense that it ceases to do anything at point blank. Stasis, likewise, is a way to save yourself at the last second. It makes no sense to have it not work at point blank.
Also, the actual weapon balance needs greater care next time around. I really enjoy the flow of cash I get from merely carrying the ripper around, but come on. It's just not right.

Otherwise, I still maintain that Dead Space is FUCK AMAZING!!1

Victrix

*beard*
Major spoilers, do not highlight unless you finished the game.

Finished this last night, amazing game. The visuals were just stupendous in some portions
the bridge, the final area, the hydroponics garden, several others

Only real low point story wise was the whole
military ship tangent. Seriously, a ship of marines who were FOREWARNED ABOUT THE DANGERS get taken out by ONE SINGLE NECROMORPH? That entire part was just stupid, and they only rammed the stupid down harder by explaining how they knew what was up after they'd all been wiped out.

On the other hand, even if the 'you're saved! wait, no you're not!' story bit was predictable, it was damn cool to see that ship coming in for a hard landing...

Otherwise good stuff. Still not entirely clear
who/what/why your vision was trying to get you to seal the 'hive mind' back up again. It seemed fairly benign. And of course there's the whole unexplained bit with the black/red marker. We cloned this strange alien thing to drop on random planets and experiment! Whut. And then a corporate mining ship is allowed to screw things up?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So if the marker is suppose to pacify the hivemind, then I guess it couldn't do the job, because
it was taken off of it's stand two seconds after Isaac put it back in it's original spot? The sky didn't light up with the fancy effects and whatnot, until after it was placed back where it was supposed to go. All of that stuff canceled out when she moved it again, when she tried to steal it.

I wasn't as impressed with the game as a lot of the people in this thread. Then again, I hate it when I'm not given what I was promised by the developers or the intent of the game is weak; Far Cry 2's lack of factions despite being centered around this factionalized war, Fable 2's overall lack of boss battles, and Dead Space's general lack of....horror. I played the game the first time through on hard mode and I more than had enough ammunition to dispatch all of the baddies that came my way. Not to mention the atmosphere felt extremely superficial.

Most of the time there weren't any vehicles for the things being presented. By vehicles, I mean viable game world explanations for phenomenon. The developers touted the presence of 'fear emitters' on their enemies that grew when the enemies got close. A lot of the time, however, that just made for momments that totally bashed willfull suspension over the head with a tire iron. Disembodied voices was a big pet peeve of mine in the game. There wasn't a single in-game mechanic which explained the presence of these voices. Atleast in other horror games like Call of Cthulhu, Undying, and System Shock 2 you had vehicles which could explain and provide a real horror for the sounds. Dead Space was just way too superficial

vandalvideo said:
[...]and Dead Space's general lack of....horror. I played the game the first time through on hard mode and I more than had enough ammunition to dispatch all of the baddies that came my way. Not to mention the atmosphere felt extremely superficial.
You are a very tough guy. Probably horror games are nothing for you then :D

Victrix

*beard*
vandalvideo said:
Atleast in other horror games like Call of Cthulhu, Undying, and System Shock 2 you had vehicles which could explain and provide a real horror for the sounds. Dead Space was just way too superficial

o_O

Did you uh, not read or listen to any of the audio or text logs in the game? Even if you ignored all of that, did you not listen to the forced explanation at the end of the game that
Guess what, you're kind of crazy, even ignoring the dementia from the marker and/or toxification from the organic contamination

Oldschoolgamer said:
So if the marker is suppose to pacify the hivemind, then I guess it couldn't do the job, because
it was taken off of it's stand two seconds after Isaac put it back in it's original spot? The sky didn't light up with the fancy effects and whatnot, until after it was placed back where it was supposed to go. All of that stuff canceled out when she moved it again, when she tried to steal it.
I believe this was explained in one of the logs you get after completing the game. The
pedestal that you placed the marker on was an 'amplifier' of the signal it emits. The original government scientists built it as a last ditch measure on Aegis VII after everything went to shit. When Kendra took the marker off the pedestal, the signal was no longer being amplified and so it had no hope of containing the hive mind.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Panajev2001a said:
Should I watch them (PSN ones) before or after getting too far in the game? Do they spoil the game's story or do they make it more enjoyable to discover it as you play through the game?

Anyone ?

Rolf NB

Panajev2001a said:
You can safely watch the cartoon episodes before playing the game. The events take place before those in the game, and the cast is separate as well. It only provides some background for things you discover.

edit: if you're already playing, do watch the episodes before finishing the game. There's some complementary perspective that enhances things slightly.

Scarecrow

With all of Dead Space's apeing of sci-fi cliches, I was slightly dissapointed you didn't get to fight the final boss in some kind of Power Loader mech as seen in Aliens.

Scarecrow said:
With all of Dead Space's apeing of sci-fi cliches, I was slightly dissapointed you didn't get to fight the final boss in some kind of Power Loader mech as seen in Aliens.
Does any specific stuff come to mind, or just atmosphere/tone?

i took a short break from this game to play LBP and Gears2. Now i'm well in to chapter 9, and unfortunately they did what i feared:
lock the doors and bring on the fucking horde mode...it takes too much time to re-fill your life meter...this sucks.. i was hoping for it to be more original.. now i will play the game with less fun..
will this happen a lot after chapter 9?..

Scarecrow

endlessflood said:
Does any specific stuff come to mind, or just atmosphere/tone?
A few things come to mind immediately:
-Near engine room with all the organic matter reminds me of when they first enter the hive in Aliens and find the colonist(s) goo-ed to the walls.
-The monsters look like they're straight out of The Thing.
-Using air vents to get the drop on you, ala Aliens.
-
Crew members that have a greedy stake in the mission while everyone else is expendable
-I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting at the moment.

That's not to say I think it's bad. I fucking love it. Aliens is my favorite movie, and playing a somewhat similarly themed experience is a dream come true (till gearbox comes out with their Aliens game).

Rolf NB

Always-honest said:
i took a short break from this game to play LBP and Gears2. Now i'm well in to chapter 9, and unfortunately they did what i feared:
lock the doors and bring on the fucking horde mode...it takes too much time to re-fill your life meter...this sucks.. i was hoping for it to be more original.. now i will play the game with less fun..
will this happen a lot after chapter 9?..
i think you have three noteworthy kill rooms (locked doors, enemies in your face) still ahead of you. The general difficulty ramps up during chapters 9 and 10. 11 and 12 aren't so bad IMO. Buy lots of ammo. Even if you didn't need to to get this far, you will as you get closer to the end.
There are also at least two situations in your near future where you can avoid fighting the enemies that get thrown at you, and instead quickly do what you're supposed to and run out of the room. Take advantage of those open doors.

Baron

SixStringPsycho said:
is there a way I can change back to the original suit? I chnaged it to Elite and cant upgrade back to the original one

No, there is no way to downgrade your suit. This has been mentioned multiple times in the thread. Upgrade at your own risk, or at the very least, set aside a save from before you upgrade if you ever want to go back.

bcn-ron said:
i think you have three noteworthy kill rooms (locked doors, enemies in your face) still ahead of you. The general difficulty ramps up during chapters 9 and 10. 11 and 12 aren't so bad IMO. Buy lots of ammo. Even if you didn't need to to get this far, you will as you get closer to the end.
There are also at least two situations in your near future where you can avoid fighting the enemies that get thrown at you, and instead quickly do what you're supposed to and run out of the room. Take advantage of those open doors.

yeah, thanx. i'll try. though i think this is not the way to make the game more exciting or better.. rather cheap. great game though. just didn't like this

Ploid 3.0

The last battle is annoying.
I'm doing all good and such until they do the hanging thing where your controls are all mirrored+some random mix up on the X or Y axis perhaps. It's better off letting me watch a cutscene if they want me to feel totally out of control. Sure Isaac might be disoriented if he were a real person, but at least he know how to aim his weapon while disoriented

Ploid 3.0 said:
The last battle is annoying.
I'm doing all good and such until they do the hanging thing where your controls are all mirrored+some random mix up on the X or Y axis perhaps. It's better off letting me watch a cutscene if they want me to feel totally out of control. Sure Isaac might be disoriented if he were a real person, but at least he know how to aim his weapon while disoriented
Here's a simple tip:
when shooting the yellow things initially, don't take them out one at a time. Instead spread your shots around them evenly. Then when it gets down to only two left, they will only take one or two shots while you're hanging upside down to destroy.

I'm just about to do my first run through on Impossible. This will be my third run in total, having done Hard and then Hard (New Game +) with only the cutter. On my first run I only used the cutter, line gun and contact beam for the bosses, and on the second run I did cutter only, so I'm not all that familiar with the other weapons (ripper, force gun, pulse rifle, flamer). What's the optimal loadout given the damage that each weapon does, and the amount of ammo that you find in a single drop?

On Hard you get the following in an ammo drop:
Plasma Energy: 6
Line Racks: 2
Pulse Ammo: 25
Contact Energy: 1
Force Gun: ?
Ripper Blades: ?
Flame Fuel: ?
Can anyone fill in the blanks, and also confirm that the drops are the same between Hard and Impossible?

Also, what weapons seem to work best on scorpions, spiders, and the remnants of the lanky dudes? Those are where I seem to waste more ammo than really necessary when using cutter/line gun.

so, I want to try some of the dlc, but there's so many of them. anyone recommend some dlc that may be useful. generally, I don't like if it's just a new skin or costumes unless it look really really cool. the astronout suit in last page look hideous, look like pajamas with zipper.

soldat7

Callibretto said:
so, I want to try some of the dlc, but there's so many of them. anyone recommend some dlc that may be useful. generally, I don't like if it's just a new skin or costumes unless it look really really cool. the astronout suit in last page look hideous, look like pajamas with zipper.

I'm curious about this too...

kuYuri

Just beat the game. An awesome ride from beginning to end. The story wasn't as interesting as I hoped and it wasn't as scary as I thought, but otherwise it was amazing. I managed to get most of the trophies save for three secret ones and all the golds of course. Also, the game was a little harder than I thought, but I blame myself mostly for the way I played.

My second run will be a One Gun run with Obsidian Suit equipped. I actually went with the default suit throughout my first run.

Callibretto said:
Also from the previous page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13632631&postcount=4738

Can anyone recommend any good Dead Space fan sites?

atomico

so, in the Downfall movie
the necromorphs can't get close to the marker
, but that doesn't happen in the game.

did I miss anything? is that explained in the story, somehow, or is it just a gameplay design choice (which makes sense, IMO, as it'd probably ruin the pacing and/or make the game too easy)?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I have, for some reason, grown to love the game now (if you read my earlier post about it, I'm not too fond). The last four hours of play have been highly enjoyable.

I think this is because I've quit analyzing the game as a horror title and just enjoying my time with it. It's funny: the second I stopped breaking down the game's horror elements and why they weren't scaring me, I began to get scared and the unnerving atmosphere began to bite away at me.

While I find Silent Hill's psychological horror to be a bit more unsettling and goosebump-inducing, Dead Space is still a worthy horror game. You need to, however, play it in the dark for the maximum scare effect. After all, if the horror is part of what makes this game so great, you would be cheating yourself out of the experience by playing it in the daytime :D.

codecow

bcn-ron said:
If there's a sequel, this issue really should be adressed. The force gun is by design more effective at close range. It makes no sense that it ceases to do anything at point blank. Stasis, likewise, is a way to save yourself at the last second. It makes no sense to have it not work at point blank.

This was actually noticed and we tried to fix some of the guns, in particular the plasma rifle and the line gun. Thanks for the notes we will definitely look into this.

Top Bottom