• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Stoney Mason said:
If you didn't enjoy a combat centric based demo of the game then you shouldn't buy it. Pretty simple imo. Some people will try to come and soothe you and tell you the demo isn't representative of the game but if you "hated" that demo with all acknowedgement that it is a combat perspective on the game then its not very likely you will like the real thing to your liking.

The demo just drops you off in the middle of the game, so I didn't have time to learn the controls and get a good feel for it.

I'll try it a few more times ... this seems like a game I should like.

Spruce Moose said:
The demo just drops you off in the middle of the game, so I didn't have time to learn the controls and get a good feel for it.

The real game slowly eases you into the combat and the situations and introduces the components step by step. Including things like freezing enemies so they can't move. If you didn't like the actual combat you won't like the game. But if it's just that it felt overwhelming because you had to deal with a ton of monsters all of a sudden, the real game's pacing is a lot better than that. That's actually a semi-tough portion of the game when you get there for the first time.

bj00rn_

Banned
Spruce Moose said:

If you prefer it to be less combat-centric you can just drop the difficulty level which will make more room to explore the "nice" atmosphere.

WHAT THE FUCK! at the ending to this game!?!

Scared the living suitcase out of me.

ADORED this game, and I am so thinking of getting it on PS3 as well, just because this game deserves more sales.

EA needs to be encouraged to keep bringing gems like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to the market.

What a fucken ending.

Brilliant.

bj00rn_

Banned
I just downloaded the demo on my PS3 (I bought the full game on my 360 though) because I was curious to see if it gave a taste of the full game. And it really didn't at all, I hated it. I don't know what the hell "they" were thinking when releasing this kind of demo. Without the context and without a tension-build-up it's just an awful disservice to the full game.

bj00rn_ said:
I just downloaded the demo on my PS3 (I bought the full game on my 360 though) because I was curious to see if it gave a taste of the full game. And it really didn't at all, I hated it. I don't know what the hell "they" were thinking when releasing this kind of demo. Without the context and without a tension-build-up it's just an awful disservice to the full game.

how disappointing.

Lucky I bought the game straight away. Thank god for 20 years of instinct about games I know I'll like.

This game is one of the best I've ever played.

This goes into my top 3 most underrated games of all time with Crackdown and Mirror's Edge.

Sabotage

Oh hai, whats going on in here?
DS1.jpg

zoukka

This be a succesfull RE4-Sci-fi edition indeed. Here are the pros:

Nice moody graphics
Insane audio
Controls work
Loading is short
Scares you sometimes

And the cons:

Repetitive enviroments
Dull monsters
Monsters take always the same amount of ammo to kill
Stupid puzzles
Kinesis feels really forced and kills the atmosphere a bit
Stomp and melee are useless without stasis

Nice effort from EA, but overhyped as always.

BeeDog

zoukka said:
This be a succesfull RE4-Sci-fi edition indeed. Here are the pros:

Nice moody graphics
Insane audio
Controls work
Loading is short
Scares you sometimes

And the cons:

Repetitive enviroments
Dull monsters
Monsters take always the same amount of ammo to kill
Stupid puzzles
Kinesis feels really forced and kills the atmosphere a bit
Stomp and melee are useless without stasis

Nice effort from EA, but overhyped as always.

Damn man, you're complaining about everything. Is there anything you truly like?

Still love your cynical ass ;D

mYm|17|

The PS3 version of the demo looked really nice, but I couldn't get any sound from it. The weapons were cool too and I really liked that you could shoot sideways.

soldat7

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Lucky I bought the game straight away. Thank god for 20 years of instinct about games I know I'll like.

This game is one of the best I've ever played.

This goes into my top 3 most underrated games of all time with Crackdown and Mirror's Edge.

*high-five*

This game is incredible. Gonna finish Chapter 10 tonight!
"Twinkle, twinkle, little star..."

bj00rn_ said:

Yeah I think we can all agree that the demo is a poor representative of the full game.

Just beat it. Holy shit that was a wild ride. One question I have is, spoilers...

On the planet, in the shuttle hanger right after you land, Nicole waits for you next to the electrified platform and you go into a control room type place. When you come out (you need to get the battery), she isn't there but there is a monster with a torn uniform, was that her? Also we don't get to fight that looney scientists putting his knife into people's foreheads?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Solideliquid said:
Just beat it. Holy shit that was a wild ride. One question I have is, spoilers...

On the planet, in the shuttle hanger right after you land, Nicole waits for you next to the electrified platform and you go into a control room type place. When you come out (you need to get the battery), she isn't there but there is a monster with a torn uniform, was that her?
No it wasn't. Nicole was just a hallucination. She was dead long before Isaac found his way to the Ishimura.

Also we don't get to fight that looney scientists putting his knife into people's foreheads?

Have you missed the video transmission where he gets transformed by this manta ray type enemy?

hteng

Banned
the last 2 chapters are pretty much slaughter houses, tons of motherfuckers come pouring in, sometimes it felt like it was never ending, i will always have 100+ plasma cutter ammos with me >.>, god i hate those fucking twitching slashers, so goddam fast.

One thing they did right about this game is putting air ducts everywhere in the room, the monsters, if you are too far away, sometimes they'll retreat back into the ducts and pop out from the next exit that's nearest to you, so in a sense it makes you feel that you have no where to hide.

finished the game a few minutes ago.

great game, though the horde modes without ammo (because i found out too late i needed much more ammo..) were frustrating at times.
But overall i'm really impressed.

edit: devs can stop with bossfights that have glowing parts on them that you must hit (Zelda, Gears of War2, Resistance 2, etc, etc). we've been there done that.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
hteng said:
the last 2 chapters are pretty much slaughter houses, tons of motherfuckers come pouring in, sometimes it felt like it was never ending, i will always have 100+ plasma cutter ammos with me >.>, god i hate those fucking twitching slashers, so goddam fast.

One thing they did right about this game is putting air ducts everywhere in the room, the monsters, if you are too far away, sometimes they'll retreat back into the ducts and pop out from the next exit that's nearest to you, so in a sense it makes you feel that you have no where to hide.

This is one of the reasons why I think the way they did enemy spawns was absolutely brilliant. Coupled with the noises, it made it seem like the monsters really were moving through the ducts. In fact, I believe in the Hydroponic level there was a monster IN a monster closet, which not only scared me (because it was completely unexpected) but made me laugh out loud after I finished him off. Brilliant, EA. Absolutely brilliant.

Ending Spoilers:
It's been a really long time since I cared about a protaganoist in a game. Isaac didn't speak and you never really got a sense for WHO he was but when you see that Nicole killed herself, I teared up a little bit. It meant that all of this was meaningless.

But in the shuttle, when the camera panned over... and you saw a head looking around the chair... that fucked me up. One of my scariest memories as a child is seeing someone looking in my door late at night. It wasn't my parents or my sister and I could not see facial features. Whether it was my imagination, the "shadow people" that are sometimes referenced in paranormal studies, or a robber, I will never know, but that's stuck with me my entire life as one of the barnone scariest moments I've ever experience.

EA recreated that moment at the end of this game, then had the audacity to have the thing JUMP at the screen with a loud scream and that weird montior/static effect. I literally got up and almost ran. My wife was sitting next to me watching me play the majority of the game and when I was about halfway across the room, I turned and looked at her, and her eyes were bugging out of her head. We were speechless for almost the rest of the night.

What I think is great about this game is that while the story, the setting, and the atmosphere can be considered "generic," they evoke their own vibe completely. Sure, there's tons of Event Horizon in there, some Aliens references, and plenty of Resident Evil 4, but Dead Space holds its own. After watching the animated comics and ordering the Blu-ray of Downfall, I'm engrossed by the mythos of this game. I would love to see a sequel but I don't want this to be farmed out. I'd rather have this great one time game with the ending that we got than a sequel.

Unless the sequel is actually a prequel...

Always-honest said:
edit: devs can stop with bossfights that have glowing parts on them that you must hit (Zelda, Gears of War2, Resistance 2, etc, etc). we've been there done that.
There are no bosses (or enemies) in Resistance 2 where you have to shoot glowing parts on them to kill them.

Just played the demo last night on PS3, and was mighty impressed. Now I'm pretty bummed I didn't score it on Black Friday. Definitely a must-buy for me now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm thinking of replaying the game on hard. My normal stuff doesn't carry over right?

I thought it does? Or can you only select the same difficulty as the file? I just beat it yesterday as well and absolutely adored this game. I'm glad I get to replay it a few more times for the one-gun trophy and the hard mode trophy.

I beat it last night. I thought it was a pretty damn good game overall. Lots of good and intense moments. Very well polished games. However it had a very predictable story, but I'm not complaining because i liked it anyway.

I wish they would have provided more audio logs about the religion, government, key people, motives, etc...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I enjoyed the story but did anyone else find it hard to follow in certain spots? Sometimes characters are talking to you or you're watching a log and you start getting attacked or chased by something. It definitely adds to the tension of the game but I also lost a lot of the early story because I was more busy paying attention to whether or not something was going to jump out at me rather than listening to the characters talk.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
worldrevolution said:
I enjoyed the story but did anyone else find it hard to follow in certain spots? Sometimes characters are talking to you or you're watching a log and you start getting attacked or chased by something. It definitely adds to the tension of the game but I also lost a lot of the early story because I was more busy paying attention to whether or not something was going to jump out at me rather than listening to the characters talk.

Whenever there was audio or video, I stopped.

Cowie

some questions, gonna go ahead and just call them full game spoilers

Okay, so.. the first time you see Nicole in person, obviously a hallucination since she's dead. Who is there, then? Theoretically, someone is completing that action, and they're being attacked by necromorphs. Also, if the person in question dies, its game over. Was it Kyne?

It's reasonable that Kendra knew Isaac's wife was dead all along, and was playing along with him pretending she was still alive because Isaac was necessary to help her accomplish her goals. But if she saw the whole video of Nicole, it seems that Hammond could have as well. Hammond at several points mentions finding Nicole, meaning he either didn't know, or was actively lying. Thats probably more nitpicky than something that has a logical explanation, though.

This one is mostly just me trying to clarify what I understand. The Red Marker was modifying brain waves and driving people crazy, causing them to kill themselves. It was also, as reported in one of the text logs, creating "a 'dead space' around itself that forces the recombination effect into dormancy." So the marker contained DNA that created the Necromorphs, and gave off a signal that gave it control over minds, but prevented the creation of necromorphs? Was this a flaw in the man made Marker, or some bizarre paradox within Marker? Also why the hell were necromorphs attacking me when I was doing the Marker's bidding >:|.

Liabe Brave said:
There are no bosses (or enemies) in Resistance 2 where you have to shoot glowing parts on them to kill them.

Resistance2: the first (lame) boss has glowing exhaust pipes (chapter1), and the final boss had no glowing parts on his body, but you had to shoot the glowing parts around him.........that final boss fight was extremely lame by the way (i loved everything building up to that though).

What i liked in Dead SPace for instance was the time you had to lure the creature in to a certain spot and freeze him. It's more of a puzzle instead of "shoot here at my obvious weak spot". Those battles can still be interesting (the one in chapter 7 is incredible to look at), but are hardly original.

edit. i played most of the game with the plasma cutter. i only tried one other gun in one chapter (unfortunately, cause i missed the trophy), but what are the best other weapons for a second playtrhough?

soldat7

Wow. I just beat it. I think this is my game of the year.

The Hive Mind was incredible and the plot twists were great. The actual ending with the Nicole monster leaping at you was kinda lame. I wanted a bit more payoff at the end.

What an awesome game. I'm doing it again!

zoukka

Heh starting to really like this game. The story is throw-away stuff, but everything else works pretty nicely. The sentrifuge room was really cool though nothing special gameplay wise. It's a nice touch that the sounds in the rooms echo to the next... never seen anything like that before. And the "surprise" later really caught me off guard :lol

Still not feeling the weapons which is a bummer. Feels stupid to use the rifle for limbs and the line gun and the ripper feel just like more efficient plasma cutter. Oh well...

Truant

Am I the only one who dislike the New Game+ thing? I just feel way too powerful, and it ruins the pacing of the game. I quit and started a new game from scratch.

Truant said:
Am I the only one who dislike the New Game+ thing? I just feel way too powerful, and it ruins the pacing of the game. I quit and started a new game from scratch.

Nah it makes you feel like an unstoppable super soldier from the future. oh wait,

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I finally finished this myself and generally enjoyed it. I do feel that it never really hit the high points of similar games, but it was still well designed and fun to play through.

I thought the entire final area of the game along with the boss were absolutely incredible to behold and really demonstrate what their engine is capable of. Also, the motion blur used during the initial encounter with the final boss was just incredible and I wonder why it wasn't used more often (it would only show up when you were attacked in close quarters). I mean, it was so good that it almost felt like I was watching a pre-rendered video.

I suppose my largest complaint with the game is simply that I never found the combat to be all that satisfying. The enemy designs weren't all that interesting and dismemberment never felt quite right. It wasn't bad, but I didn't find the gunplay to be as engaging as I had hoped.

soldat7

dark10x said:
I finally finished this myself and generally enjoyed it. I do feel that it never really hit the high points of similar games, but it was still well designed and fun to play through.

I thought the entire final area of the game along with the boss were absolutely incredible to behold and really demonstrate what their engine is capable of. Also, the motion blur used during the initial encounter with the final boss was just incredible and I wonder why it wasn't used more often (it would only show up when you were attacked in close quarters). I mean, it was so good that it almost felt like I was watching a pre-rendered video.

I suppose my largest complaint with the game is simply that I never found the combat to be all that satisfying. The enemy designs weren't all that interesting and dismemberment never felt quite right. It wasn't bad, but I didn't find the gunplay to be as engaging as I had hoped.

The final area was indeed spectacular. I agree that the use of motion blur was severely underused in this game (the engine can clearly handle it). For me the high points of the game all had to do with the environment. There were so many great environmental set pieces in the game and I loved how the ship itself told much of the story.

I found the combat to be enjoyable for the most part. I think there was TOO MUCH combat and it started to become a little predictable, but it was satisfying (I only ever used the Plasma Cutter). Using Stasis on an enemy and casually picking them apart was really cool.

Can't wait to do this again on Insane.

I'm on my fourth playthrough (Hard, Hard+ [one gun], Impossible, Hard++) and this is the first time I've used weapons other than the cutter and line gun.

I'm trying to get the trophy for killing 30 enemies with the flamethrower but even with it 100% upgraded it really is arse. Is there some special technique I should be using? I generally use secondary fire aimed at necromorph limbs, but often the shot seems to pass through them without causing extra burning damage. Should I just target centre of mass and rely on burning damage? Is primary fire better? Or am I doing it right?

One final question, does each individual crawler count as a separate kill for the purposes of the trophy? Fingers crossed on that one :D

Cowie said:
some questions, gonna go ahead and just call them full game spoilers

Okay, so.. the first time you see Nicole in person, obviously a hallucination since she's dead. Who is there, then? Theoretically, someone is completing that action, and they're being attacked by necromorphs. Also, if the person in question dies, its game over. Was it Kyne?

It's reasonable that Kendra knew Isaac's wife was dead all along, and was playing along with him pretending she was still alive because Isaac was necessary to help her accomplish her goals. But if she saw the whole video of Nicole, it seems that Hammond could have as well. Hammond at several points mentions finding Nicole, meaning he either didn't know, or was actively lying. Thats probably more nitpicky than something that has a logical explanation, though.

This one is mostly just me trying to clarify what I understand. The Red Marker was modifying brain waves and driving people crazy, causing them to kill themselves. It was also, as reported in one of the text logs, creating "a 'dead space' around itself that forces the recombination effect into dormancy." So the marker contained DNA that created the Necromorphs, and gave off a signal that gave it control over minds, but prevented the creation of necromorphs? Was this a flaw in the man made Marker, or some bizarre paradox within Marker? Also why the hell were necromorphs attacking me when I was doing the Marker's bidding >:|.

Most likely the whole thing was a hallucination, the door was never locked, the necromorphs were never there, and the game over happens because you go mad if you think that you've let Nicole die. That's my take anyway.

Kendra worked for the government and was somehow able to get access to the full broadcast. It's never explained how, but some possibilities include: that the government had intercepted Nicole's broadcast and censored it before allowing CEC to receive it; or that CEC censored it before passing it on to Isaac, but the government was able to get access to the full broadcast; or that the Valor intercepted it in full (because they were much closer to the source of the broadcast) whereas CEC only got a distorted copy since the signal had decayed in transit, and Kendra retrieved the full broadcast from the Valor. Either way, it's unclear how much Hammond knew, but I prefer to see him as an innocent party. The fact that Kendra tries to paint him as untrustworthy is possibly the greatest thing leading me to believe that he's actually trustworthy.
:D

It's unclear how the Red Marker (3A, a rather interesting designation I'm sure you'll agree) differs from the original. We know that although the humans tried to copy the alien marker, they were unable to find exact material copies in some cases and so went for 'as close as possible'. The end result was that the Marker glowed red, unlike the original alien one. The government then extracted DNA information from Marker 3A and ended up with the necromorph virus. We know that a signal emanating from the Marker was able to prevent the virus from recombinating dead tissue, at least so long as the signal was strong. It's never explained why the Marker makes people hallucinate, but their goal always seems to be suppression of the Hive mind, so in that sense the Marker seems to be working at cross purposes to the necromorphs themselves. I personally believe that the necromorphs are the result of errors in the red marker, and that the original marker may not necessarily be malevolent. That's just a guess though, it's never talked about in the game.

Bildi

endlessflood said:
I'm trying to get the trophy for killing 30 enemies with the flamethrower but even with it 100% upgraded it really is arse. Is there some special technique I should be using? I generally use secondary fire aimed at necromorph limbs, but often the shot seems to pass through them without causing extra burning damage. Should I just target centre of mass and rely on burning damage? Is primary fire better? Or am I doing it right?
Not that I'm aware of. I'm doing the same achievement and I just use the plasma cutter to take them down and then I burn them with the primary flamethrower fire.

The flamethrower truly is ass. I've never even tried it without being fully upgraded. I started a Hard+ game, immediately upgraded it with nodes from my first playthrough, and it still sucked.

Truant said:
It's OK in the sense that you can just plough through to get achievements, but yeah, you're basically invincible. Reviewers who suggested equipment should carry over to harder difficulties are utterly retarded. It would have completely decimated any and all challenge from the game.

Sure makes it easy to get the "get grabbed by a lurker 10 times" achievement though!

Ledsen

endlessflood said:
I'm on my fourth playthrough (Hard, Hard+ [one gun], Impossible, Hard++) and this is the first time I've used weapons other than the cutter and line gun.

Well you can always do what I did to get weapon achievments, find the fat wallguys that spit tentacles and just kill 30 tentacles :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
FUCK the Chapter 6 boss. I tried a bunch of times and can not beat him (playing on Hard). If I can't beat this guy, I don't know how I'm going to finish the rest of the game.

Chapter 6 boss spoilers:
So I beat the three initial tentacles, right? No problem, I just use my PC and cut em off. Then he starts vomiting those balls at me and I toss them + the occasional red canister at him and after I whittle away some of his health... he grows three more tentacles. And then I get my shit fucked.

Someone mentioned that later in the game it actually gets easier considering all your upgrades... how much truth is in that?

I'm also considering selling my Ripper. That thing seems useless most of the time (the Line Gun / Force Gun / PC combo seems to work for me).

Top Bottom