• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Huggers

Serious question. Are there spiders in this game? I have only played the first 2 chapters and so far none. The reason I ask is because I am absolutely petrified of them, to the point where I have to stop playing Resident Evil in the latter stages. Arachnophobia ftl. I really need to get hypnotherapy or something

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Hug Dog said:
Serious question. Are there spiders in this game? I have only played the first 2 chapters and so far none. The reason I ask is because I am absolutely petrified of them, to the point where I have to stop playing Resident Evil in the latter stages. Arachnophobia ftl. I really need to get hypnotherapy or something
No.

Huggers

Seiken said:
No.

Thanks man

atomico said:
the face-hugger creatures look kinda spider-y. not sure how specific arachnofobia is :p

Hmm, are these the little things that are in groups that crawl along the floor? Because I saw a pack of them and was ok with it (just!)

Scarecrow

The Hug Dog said:
Thanks man

Hmm, are these the little things that are in groups that crawl along the floor? Because I saw a pack of them and was ok with it (just!)
There's those as well as an uncommon enemy type that looks a lot like the face huggers from the Alien series.
FaceHugger01.jpg

But, if you have spider-phobia, taking some guns to them should be therepudic. Face your fears!

Spoiler
I hated those little buggers...They ate way too much ammo and they wanted to get INTO me!! :lol
The team should really make an alien game really soon :D

soldat7

I'm on Chapter 3 and so far Dead Space sports AMAZING atmosphere. I love the whole interconnected feel of the levels and the Ishimura as a whole. The backtracking is handled well and quite logically considering the environment. And the sound design is incredible overall.

My two complaints so far are the abundance of monster closets (these turds to live in the ventilation system and all but man..) and some of the atmospheric creepy whispering seems to repeat a lot. I don't mind the occasional monster closet but it seems that nearly every room, every corridor, has at least one. It's starting to feel a bit predictable and not very dynamic (especially after L4D). And while the overall sound design and the creepy whispering is amazing, the whispering in particular repeats a bit too much for my liking. Maybe there's a story element to this? I want a variety of creepy voices, not a broken record!

Either way this game is incredible and I'm LOVING it.

ps. I guess one more thing would be the lack of zoom. Perhaps other weapons have a zoom? I'm only using the cutter on my first playthrough. I'd like to get a bit closer to some of the crazy text on the walls and in notebooks.

Huggers

Scarecrow said:
There's those as well as an uncommon enemy type that looks a lot like the face huggers from the Alien series.

horrendousimage.jpg

But, if you have spider-phobia, taking some guns to them should be therepudic. Face your fears!

Fuck. I freaked a little just at this image. I'm screwed. This game is awesome though and I really want to press on. I just got to chapter 4. This game genuinely makes me jump and I sort of half enjoy it, and half find it an ordeal to play! I think there is a strong possibilty that I am a wimp. That said the audio in this game is remarkably well done and really helps create the scares

bj00rn_

Banned
I bought Dead Space to go along with my new Elite today. Just played the first chapter, and I'm already in love with the game. I can't believe I waited so "long" to buy it... Great atmosphere. I don't care about the enemies though, so I set it to easy first time through, I just want to explore the environment and suck in the atmosphere.

People, please buy this game, this team needs to make more games.

I Gamefly'd this when it came out and it blew me away, several friends (and myself for part) were content to just watch the game for 6 hours straight because of the strength of the atmosphere and action.

The minute I finished the game I jumped right back in to the quest again with the upgraded weapons and blasted through 5 chapters again, up until 5am which never happens anymore. I was so pleasantly surprised!

And now, hopefully can grab it for $30 new at Target Friday... YES!

As a realist critique, the asteroid part angers me to no end and I do resent feeling like an errand boy throughout the game, but hey I love the zero-G stuff so...:D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just beat this awesome game

Although, I do have to say that the ending wasn't as awesome as the rest of the game, I really hope this game sold well enough to warrant a sequel, if any game that came out this year deserves a sequel, it's this one, and I wanna see what happened to Isaac after that little surprise with Nicole at the end ;)

Edit: I also enjoyed the blatant mockery of scientology in the game :lol

bj00rn_

Banned
Ok... I just finished the game now. I played it on easy because I'm not into "this kind of game" for the fighting, and I found it to be just fine that way. I took my sweet time exploring everything and I finished it in about 14 hours.

Wow, I thought Gears of War 2 was good, but Dead Space is now among my few all-time favorite games. It's a long time since I've felt this immersed, I have so much respect for the dev team and that they were able to deliver an experience, not just a game.

I'm not saying Dead Space is flawless, there where some things I didn't like (Like f.ex. the cliché-like last 2 seconds of the ending). But the sum of its parts is just so good. I also think it's overall the best looking game I've played, it looks so good that at times it didn't feel like a game at all (I'm not really talking about realism per se here, but about feeling immersed into the universe which is presented). The sound was absolutely fantastic as well.

Please PLEASE make a sequel, I promise to buy two copies of it if you do :)

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Been a little on the fence but after recommendations from a good friend of mine and GAF I am going to join the bandwagon. The demo actually helped too; even though from what I've read is not a good representation of the game.

Little cheesed I missed out on the Black Friday deal, but from what I've heard I doubt I would mind paying $60 for it. :D

-viper-

Banned
I enjoyed the demo and I think I'll buy the game soon. I managed to complete the demo.. after a few tries.

For someone who sucked at Resident Evil 4, what's the best difficulty to play this at, easy or normal?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-viper- said:
I enjoyed the demo and I think I'll buy the game soon. I managed to complete the demo.. after a few tries.

For someone who sucked at Resident Evil 4, what's the best difficulty to play this at, easy or normal?
Normal, definitely. Apparently the demo's much harder than the retail game (endless spawn of enemies etc.).

tanod

when is my burrito
I picked this up on Friday and I'm up to chapter 4. Playing on Normal difficulty and doing my Plasma Cutter-only run my first time through. My early thoughts:

-Mirror-sheen polish
-RE4-level of game mechanics for inventory management and gunplay
-BioShock-level of atmosphere and story telling (except I'm not expecting a huge twist or anything, seems to be a more straight forward story). Also, I watched some of the Animated Comics before release. I wish they had put those on the Blu-Ray. Big missed opportunity. They're really well done and add a lot to what's going on in the Ishimura.
-Never seen a space story done so interestingly in a game
-Lot of fun and new gameplay elements - The mechanic of cutting off limbs keeps all of the encounters exciting and adds a real skill element. Zero-G is a neat concept. I like that Kinesis and Stasis are core parts of the gameplay rather than a special weapon or powerup.
-Looks very pretty.

I'm loving it! At this point in the game, I'm having a hard time thinking of any complaints. GOTY-caliber candidate for sure, IMO.

Question:
Does EVERYTHING carry over to the New Game+ (upgrades, weapons, ammo, stuff in your safe, item availability in the store since I haven't bought any new weapons)

Saya

tanod said:
Question:
Does EVERYTHING carry over to the New Game+ (upgrades, weapons, ammo, stuff in your safe, item availability in the store since I haven't bought any new weapons)

Yep, everything carries over but you have to play the game on the same difficulty. If you start a new game on another difficulty you start with your basic default stuff.

tanod

when is my burrito
Saya said:
Yep, everything carries over but you have to play the game on the same difficulty. If you start a new game on another difficulty you start with your basic default stuff.

Crap.

Pojo

Banned
This game is really good. Who is the team made up of? Is it a new team?

You can definitely see the inspiration from other games, but it manages to be unique at the same time. Good stuff. And the PS3 version is even in 1080i with trophies, something that was a pleasant surprise.

tanod said:
I'm loving it! At this point in the game, I'm having a hard time thinking of any complaints. GOTY-caliber candidate for sure, IMO.

Question:

My GOTY for sure...shared with Mirror's Edge, Valyria Chronicles & Left 4 Dead of course.

endlessflood said:
Also, what weapons seem to work best on scorpions, spiders, and the remnants of the lanky dudes? Those are where I seem to waste more ammo than really necessary when using cutter/line gun.

The Force gun or the Flame thrower work best. I used the Force gun personally on my first play through on Hard. The force blast will kill the whole group of spiders and other creepy smalish things that crawl in just 1 blast if you get it right. Force gun ammo is 15 a slot. And it sells for 2500. So you always have plenty plus you can easily sell it for other ammo types you may want in exchange.

Alt fire on the Force gun is a grenade. It works pretty good against those terrible freaks on the walls that throw minions at you. Probably not as good as the grenade on the line gun though.

bumpkin

Okay, so I've finally tried the demo and I've gotta say I did not have fun. I mean yeah, the game looks great. The atmosphere is really cool... Dark and foreboding. And the UI/HUD is really unique, but man, I felt like no matter what I did, I would end up overwhelmed; usually flanked and torn to shreds. Is the demo indicative of the flow of the full game or is it intentionally put together to drop you into a near impossible encounter simply to show off the "dismemberment" mechanics?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
bumpkin said:
Okay, so I've finally tried the demo and I've gotta say I did not have fun. I mean yeah, the game looks great. The atmosphere is really cool... Dark and foreboding. And the UI/HUD is really unique, but man, I felt like no matter what I did, I would end up overwhelmed; usually flanked and torn to shreds. Is the demo indicative of the flow of the full game or is it intentionally put together to drop you into a near impossible encounter simply to show off the "dismemberment" mechanics?

Haven't tried the demo myself, but apparently...

Apparently the demo's much harder than the retail game (endless spawn of enemies etc.).

In the retail version, the most I ever ran into on normal difficulty was about 3 waves in a small airlock-ish space, and that was no problem.

Core407

Banned
bumpkin said:

Eh, it starts off that way but you gain abilities and just learn how to approach rooms so you should do well further down the line. I really didn't have any issues of taking on the enemies after like an hour of play time to get used to the world and how it played.

Pojo

Banned
The final game is so easy that it kind of takes away from some of the potential spooks. I don't fear enemies anymore; the enemies fear me.

It's only a matter of choosing which weapon to use. If I die, it's because I have more fun killing enemies with a certain weapon instead of going for the sure kill. And I LOVE stomping enemies on the ground. Trying to get that melee trophy.

*stomp*

I've been hearing that the demo is difficult, and it genuinely surprised me.

Pojo said:
The final game is so easy that it kind of takes away from some of the potential spooks. I don't fear enemies anymore; the enemies fear me.

It's only a matter of choosing which weapon to use. If I die, it's because I have more fun killing enemies with a certain weapon instead of going for the sure kill. And I LOVE stomping enemies on the ground. Trying to get that melee trophy.

*stomp*

I've been hearing that the demo is difficult, and it genuinely surprised me.

I found the demo awkward. No real direction and it just throws you into combat will several enemies without getting a "feel" for the combat. It was much easier when I realized you can usually run away a bit and turn around if you got boxed in.

There is a medium in demos between telling you the basics and telling you nothing. This goes with the latter and it was a bit annoying. Cool weapons though, more so once you try them all out.

soldat7

I'm on Chapter 7 now and loving it. Dead Space has some very freaky moments, I have to say. It's not Condemned freaky, but it's freaky!

I really don't understand why Dead Space or any game this gen for that matter does not have a chapter select option once you have beaten it.

This is just maddening!

Larsen B

PuppetMaster said:
I really don't understand why Dead Space or any game this gen for that matter does not have a chapter select option once you have beaten it.

This is just maddening!

I could reply by pointing you in the direction of Alone In The Dark but I really don't think you want me to do that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Chap 5 help?
I'm running away from that regenerating monster (second one I believe, after the door is locked and you have to kill two other monsters.) I got that part done but a few seconds away is one of those things attached to a wall that screams and shit. I can get most of his tentacles off but I'm low low low on ammo and low on health...

djkimothy

Fyrus said:
Chap 5 help?
I'm running away from that regenerating monster (second one I believe, after the door is locked and you have to kill two other monsters.) I got that part done but a few seconds away is one of those things attached to a wall that screams and shit. I can get most of his tentacles off but I'm low low low on ammo and low on health...

You're fucked. :lol

The Force Cannon's alt fire usually does well against those guardains. Or, if there happens to be a red canister around, you can kill it with one of those. The success I had on impossible mode was mainly using those canisters as much as possible to conserve ammo and take out the tougher enemies.

Holy Shit! I just finished the first chapter and I'm extremely impressed. From what I've played, it seems like an incredibly polished and well crafted horror game. The graphics, atmosphere, presentation, and controls all seem top notch so far. I had heard it wasn't very scary, but playing it alone in the dark with surround sound headphones is proving to be quite terrifying. I'm fucking loving it. Hope it stays this good to the end.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
PuppetMaster said:

This is just maddening!
Annoying that Dead Space does not have it, but what about Mirror's Edge, DMC4, Uncharted...? There must be some others.

I haven't finished this yet, but that's still a bit disappointing :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is there any way to change the difficulty? I'm not ashamed to admit that I am an awful gamer and that I want to drop the difficulty to easy. :lol

after finishing LBP, Resistance2 and Gears 2, i decided to finish Dead Space.
I only had to do level 11 and 12 (only level 12 now) but i keep running out of ammo..

i just don't have enough.

i love the game, but still hate the stages where you can enter with little ammo and find out a gazillion enemies have to be killed .... i just threw my controller because i was basicly doing fine but was out of ammo and no ammo to find... anywhere. i also forgot to save.. so now i have to do the entire level 12.. :p.. i was almost at the end.

Scarecrow

Always-honest said:
after finishing LBP, Resistance2 and Gears 2, i decided to finish Dead Space.
I only had to do level 11 and 12 (only level 12 now) but i keep running out of ammo..

i love the game, but still hate the stages where you can enter with little ammo and find out a gazillion enemies have to be killed .... i just threw my controller because i was basicly doing fine but was out of ammo and no ammo to find... anywhere. i also forgot to save.. so now i have to do the entire level 12.. :p.. i was almost at the end.
If you choose to try level 12 again, a good tip for the enemy amushes is to blast off the glowy arms of the exploding enemy and throw that glowy arm into a group of enemies. There should also be tons of stasis recharge terminals in that level, so if push comes to shove, just freeze everyone and smack them around a bunch.

Always-honest said:
...i decided to finish Dead Space.

I'm in exactly the same boat. As much as I love the game, I ran out of ammo for an encounter in chap 10 or 11 and gave up for awhile, after dying like 20 times lol.

Scarecrow said:
If you choose to try level 12 again, a good tip for the enemy amushes is to blast off the glowy arms of the exploding enemy and throw that glowy arm into a group of enemies. There should also be tons of stasis recharge terminals in that level, so if push comes to shove, just freeze everyone and smack them around a bunch.

i'll try. thanx.

Started playing the demo and was immediately surprised by how... cool everything was. The interface is really well done.

That said, it's fucking ridiculously hard. First room with monsters, run out of ammo, get surrounded, melee, die.

djkimothy

AndersTheSwede said:
Started playing the demo and was immediately surprised by how... cool everything was. The interface is really well done.

That said, it's fucking ridiculously hard. First room with monsters, run out of ammo, get surrounded, melee, die.

Melee is absolutely useless in the game except for conserving ammo on Impossible difficulty. I think his stomp move does more damage so I'd use that rather than the conventional arm swinging.

djkimothy said:
Melee is absolutely useless in the game except for conserving ammo on Impossible difficulty. I think his stomp move does more damage so I'd use that rather than the conventional arm swinging.
i just actually meleed a big enemy (a brute) to death with stasis and melee.
i had no ammo, just lots of stasis pods around.........

edit, but i agree... hitting is practicly useless in the game..

Holy shit, i just started playing this game. I'm now on chapter 6. It's been a while since a game actually got me to panic and run away from enemies. I often find myself yelling at the TV "C'MON! OPEN YOUR MOTHER&^%*ING DOOR! OPEN!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!"

about chapter 5:
Fuuuuuuuuck! I really got worried during that chapter. I was trying to beat the game using only the plasma cutter, and up to that point everything was smooth and easy. I had maxed out my plasma cutter, sold all the other weapons, ammo, even medkits. but then i suddenly started to run out of plasma real fast, especially against those anus things that pooped enemies off the walls. Then the crazy monster that just won't die... shiiiiit! I would try to buy more plasma cutter ammo, but it was becoming too hard so i bought new guns by selling almost all my medkits.

Now i am: Low on ammo, low on health, low on medkits, scared as fuck. Good game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Beat it uh, yesterday.

A bit overblown, and slightly flawed, but I definitely had a good time. I plan on replaying it again with crazy upgraded stuff, and maybe try Impossible.

mYm|17|

Played it on the 360 and its pretty insane. The atmosphere was weird and creepy. Bad guys kept coming.

Anyhow, I went to dl the demo on the PS3 first cause I wanted to try it on there. For some reason, I could not get any sound to work on the demo, but my sound on the XMB works fine.

Glix

Man, I just finished chapter 10 last night, this game is wonderful.

Ultra polished, a ton of fun. I like that if fucks with your expectations in certain rooms. I love a lot about it!

I just wanted to say that last night, I finally got killed by one of those head things with tentacles. After it ripped my head off, it planted its "roots" into my neck stump and made my guy shamble around with a new head for a bit, before the game over screen came up.

AMAZING!

Spruce Moose said:
Just played the demo and I hated it! :(

How big of a difference is there between the demo and the retail game?
If you didn't enjoy a combat centric based demo of the game then you shouldn't buy it. Pretty simple imo. Some people will try to come and soothe you and tell you the demo isn't representative of the game but if you "hated" that demo with all acknowedgement that it is a combat perspective on the game then its not very likely you will like the real thing to your liking.

mYm|17| said:
Played it on the 360 and its pretty insane. The atmosphere was weird and creepy. Bad guys kept coming.

Anyhow, I went to dl the demo on the PS3 first cause I wanted to try it on there. For some reason, I could not get any sound to work on the demo, but my sound on the XMB works fine.

when I played the demo on the PS3 the game felt a bit cleaner and more colorful.

Top Bottom