• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

See

jon bones said:
FUCK the Chapter 6 boss. I tried a bunch of times and can not beat him (playing on Hard). If I can't beat this guy, I don't know how I'm going to finish the rest of the game.

Chapter 6 boss spoilers:
So I beat the three initial tentacles, right? No problem, I just use my PC and cut em off. Then he starts vomiting those balls at me and I toss them + the occasional red canister at him and after I whittle away some of his health... he grows three more tentacles. And then I get my shit fucked.

Someone mentioned that later in the game it actually gets easier considering all your upgrades... how much truth is in that?

I'm also considering selling my Ripper. That thing seems useless most of the time (the Line Gun / Force Gun / PC combo seems to work for me).
Dont waste ammo, just dodge the balls and shoot a round into the mouth. Also you can try grabbing a ball and throwing it into the mouth. you will be done in about 15 mins :)

Also, when its raising a tentacle to swing at you, just anywhere, you will dodge it successfully.

It does get easier later in the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Awesome tips man, got em on my second try after reading that. Granted, I'm pretty much all out of ammo and medkits...

EDIT: sold ripper + tons of blades. had 2 large medkits in my safe. bought a few nodes (to get closer to the second HP upgrade and to the third PC damage upgrade) and a lot of PC ammo.

Red

So, I just finished the game.

Big spoilers:
Started a new file immediately after. I had a feeling whatshername was dead right from the outset; how couldn't she be? Game's story for me was effective because it was told well, but it was oh so predictable. Of course the main character was going crazy. I was almost expecting a revelation that no one was actually mutated, everyone was just going crazy and hallucinating these monsters while killing each other.

What intrigued me about this end-game thingy is that, on chapter 2, heading down a long hallway right after a baby-tentacle-jumpy thing hops around a corner, there's a unique necromorph that attacks you. As far as I can tell, it's the only female necromorph in the game. It's got breasts, for one. For two, it's got whatshername's haircut, and resembles her as much as a horribly disfigured alien mutant zombie can. Anyone think it's her? It takes place in the medical wing of the hospital, just a few rooms after you find a video log from her.

Just something I noticed on my second play through.

Great game. Sure, it's got its faults, but it's probably my favorite single player experience of the year. Pleasantly surprised. Very glad I picked it up.

Crunched said:
As far as I can tell, it's the only female necromorph in the game. It's got breasts, for one. For two, it's got whatshername's haircut, and resembles her as much as a horribly disfigured alien mutant zombie can. Anyone think it's her? It takes place in the medical wing of the hospital, just a few rooms after you find a video log from her.

I remembered that necro when the big reveal occurred, but never reloaded the game to check her out after I finished. Did you take a good look? I'm inclined to say it was probably her, it just seems so appropriate. If I designed the game, I would throw her in there somewhere.

I'm gonna load it up and check it out I think.

Red

PedroLumpy said:
I remembered that necro when the big reveal occurred, but never reloaded the game to check her out after I finished. Did you take a good look? I'm inclined to say it was probably her, it just seems so appropriate. If I designed the game, I would throw her in there somewhere.

I'm gonna load it up and check it out I think.
Yup, had a good look.

Rolled her around and everything. Looks a lot like her. It's the only female necro in the game, so all signs point to yes.

The_Dude

Crunched said:
Yup, had a good look.

Rolled her around and everything. Looks a lot like her. It's the only female necro in the game, so all signs point to yes.
That's interesting, think I'll have to go back and have a look.
For most of the game I was actually expecting Nicole to end up as the final boss!

I finally got my platinum trophy. I'm surprised at how good some of the weapons are and I'm kicking myself now for not using them sooner; until my fourth play-through, the only weapons I'd used were the cutter and line gun.

The flamer sucks so bad it's almost comical, but the other weapons are all pretty good. The ripper is definitely king, after every fight you pick up more ammo than you used so you'll never run out. The contact beam is a one shot kill with most enemies at any distance, it's only downside is that you need to upgrade the firing (charging) speed to max before it is particularly useful. The pulse rifle surprised me with how good it was, it wasn't as bad at eating ammo as I assumed it would be and you can kill enemies with short controlled bursts, plus due to the large ammo counts for it, it's the one weapon you can 'spray' to get yourself out of desperate situations without paying for it later. The force gun is good but does it's best work at point blank range, and that makes it difficult to deal effectively with groups.

If I had to rank the weapons:
1. Ripper
2. Plasma Cutter
3. Contact Beam
4. Line Gun
5. Pulse Rifle
6. Force Gun
7. Flamethrower

With the exception of the flamethrower they all have strengths and weaknesses, but that's the way I'd rank them overall.

Ledsen

endlessflood said:
I finally got my platinum trophy. I'm surprised at how good some of the weapons are and I'm kicking myself now for not using them sooner; until my fourth play-through, the only weapons I'd used were the cutter and line gun.

The flamer sucks so bad it's almost comical, but the other weapons are all pretty good. The ripper is definitely king, after every fight you pick up more ammo than you used so you'll never run out. The contact beam is a one shot kill with most enemies at any distance, it's only downside is that you need to upgrade the firing (charging) speed to max before it is particularly useful. The pulse rifle surprised me with how good it was, it wasn't as bad at eating ammo as I assumed it would be and you can kill enemies with short controlled bursts, plus due to the large ammo counts for it, it's the one weapon you can 'spray' to get yourself out of desperate situations without paying for it later. The force gun is good but does it's best work at point blank range, and that makes it difficult to deal effectively with groups.

1. Ripper
2. Plasma Cutter
3. Contact Beam
4. Line Gun
5. Pulse Rifle
6. Force Gun
7. Flamethrower

With the exception of the flamethrower they all have strengths and weaknesses, but that's the way I'd rank them overall.

The Force Gun next to last, and AFTER the Pulse Rifle? Really? From chapter 5 or 6 I pretty much used it exclusively for the rest of the game, it's a damn beast. Basically it's an instant knock-down, high-damage shotgun that gets you out of every situation imaginable with very little damage, AND you get lots and lots of ammo for it! I actually found it to be the most effective weapon against groups thanks to the knock-down effect. Of course you have to upgrade its damage at least once for it to be useful, but after that... slaughter :D

My personal ranking:

1. Plasma Cutter & Force Gun
3. Line Gun
4. Ripper
5. Contact Beam
6. Pulse Rifle
7. Flamethrower

Red

I have the tank, BFG, and heavy weapons packs downloaded, and I'd have to say the heavy weapons plasma cutter is my favorite overall. You get so much damn ammo for it and it's so fast that nothing can even come close to hitting me. For sheer power, the contact beam rules, and the big force gun is incredible at close range. Still, I usually only switch away from the plasma cutter to mix things up. It's the most consistently useful weapon in the game.

So which of the DLC is actually worth a damn? I'm thinking about doing a second run on this game, but I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for some worthwhile new stuff while I do it.

Red

MyEpitomeCliché said:
So which of the DLC is actually worth a damn? I'm thinking about doing a second run on this game, but I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for some worthwhile new stuff while I do it.
Tank DLC will give you the best armor you can have (better than the military suit you unlock for beating the game). It gives 60% armor boost. Maxed out you have something like 130 seconds of oxygen and 180 health (IIRC).

Heavy weapons pack will make higher difficulties much more manageable. Like I said earlier, the plasma cutter you get is incredible.

I got the BFG as an impulse buy. It was 80 MS points and I had a few leftover, so I figured, why not. It's certainly powerful, but it's not quite as impressive as it would otherwise be because the heavy weapons pack was so useful.

Razor554

Buying this game next week. Hopefully I am not disappointed, i'm big fan of Horror movies/Games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil series.

soldat7

MyEpitomeCliché said:

Someone gives their analysis of the DLC here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13632631&postcount=4738

and here:

http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Downloadable_Content

Razor554 said:
Buying this game next week. Hopefully I am not disappointed, i'm big fan of Horror movies/Games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil series.

I think you'll love it.

Ledsen said:
The Force Gun next to last, and AFTER the Pulse Rifle? Really? From chapter 5 or 6 I pretty much used it exclusively for the rest of the game, it's a damn beast. Basically it's an instant knock-down, high-damage shotgun that gets you out of every situation imaginable with very little damage, AND you get lots and lots of ammo for it! I actually found it to be the most effective weapon against groups thanks to the knock-down effect. Of course you have to upgrade its damage at least once for it to be useful, but after that... slaughter :D
Yeah the force gun seems to get plenty of love here but I'm just not feeling it. :D

I played with all of the weapons maxed out, so maybe it is better compared to the other weapons when they're all at a basic level, but maxed out it seemed to chew through ammo more than some other weapons unless you were using it point blank, and the ammo drops for it weren't massive. And yes, I'd honestly take the pulse rifle before the force gun, unless it was the only weapon I was taking. I just prefer the precision, range, and large ammo counts of the pulse rifle.

Having said all that I'd still be inclined to only carry three weapons, and they'd be the ripper, cutter, and contact beam. The cutter for boss fights and 'dragged' sections, the contact beam for stingers and lurkers (and possibly spawners, haven't tried it in that role though), and the ripper for everything else.

Nizz

Razor554 said:
I just made a bid to get this as a Christmas gift. ;) I really hope I enjoy it. I also love the Resident Evil series and this looks comparable to RE4, but in space. I liked the demo, and I already d/loaded the console specific outfit off of PSN. Would I be able to start with that suit right away? Or would I have to play through the game first?

Magik

The audio in this game is incredible! It makes the whole game so goddamn tense that I feel drained when I finish a session. :lol :lol

A fully powered Plasma Cutter is godly.

fps fanatic said:
I liked the demo, and I already d/loaded the console specific outfit off of PSN. Would I be able to start with that suit right away? Or would I have to play through the game first?
You'll be able to switch to the DLC suit when you visit the first store in the game, which is at the end of the first chapter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I apologize if this has been answered already, but how is this game on the PC? I was thinking about getting it on the 360, but I just built a new PC and figured that the PC version might provide a better experience. How is performance on the PC? Are there any features left out or added? If I have a fairly powerful PC (Core 2 Duo E8500, Radeon HD 4870, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, Vista Ultimate 64 Bit), would I be better off getting the PC version than the 360 one?

Thanks in advance!

diss

Banned
jon bones said:
FUCK the Chapter 6 boss. I tried a bunch of times and can not beat him (playing on Hard). If I can't beat this guy, I don't know how I'm going to finish the rest of the game.

Chapter 6 boss spoilers:
So I beat the three initial tentacles, right? No problem, I just use my PC and cut em off. Then he starts vomiting those balls at me and I toss them + the occasional red canister at him and after I whittle away some of his health... he grows three more tentacles. And then I get my shit fucked.

Someone mentioned that later in the game it actually gets easier considering all your upgrades... how much truth is in that?

I'm also considering selling my Ripper. That thing seems useless most of the time (the Line Gun / Force Gun / PC combo seems to work for me).
Haha.
I killed this boss by shooting empty all my guns and then slowly making my way around finding every little canister and metal serrated thing and shooting them out at it. Took forever. Then my housemate told me the "correct" way of doing it ;P

I found the unupgraded Ripper to be fucking awesome. Such a visceral feeling lopping off limbs as they're waving a few metres in front of you. Never really liked the Force gun though.

EDIT: since everyone else is ranking how much they liked each weapon i'll do the same
1. Plasma Cutter
2. Pulse Rifle
3. Ripper
4. Line Gun
5. Force Gun
6. Contact Beam
7. Flamethrower

There are probably better ways of using the contact beam or the force gun but they didn't really fit in with my playstyle.

jon bones

diss said:
Haha.
I killed this boss by shooting empty all my guns and then slowly making my way around finding every little canister and metal serrated thing and shooting them out at it. Took forever. Then my housemate told me the "correct" way of doing it ;P

I found the unupgraded Ripper to be fucking awesome. Such a visceral feeling lopping off limbs as they're waving a few metres in front of you. Never really liked the Force gun though.

EDIT: since everyone else is ranking how much they liked each weapon i'll do the same
1. Plasma Cutter
2. Pulse Rifle
3. Ripper
4. Line Gun
5. Force Gun
6. Contact Beam
7. Flamethrower

There are probably better ways of using the contact beam or the force gun but they didn't really fit in with my playstyle.

I've since sold all my guns except the Line Gun and Plasma Cutter. Now I have tons of ammo, I use the Line Gun as a shot gun and the Plasma Cutter for distance/precision shooting. The Line Gun mine is also a HUGE help, even with the time delay. Just lay down a mine, throw some Stasis and wait for the fun. Helps in Chapter 7
after you throw the asteroids in the beam and turn the gravity back on and all these dudes rush you in the Power Node room

I went back and re-beat the Chapter 6 boss, just so I could conserve ammo/life. Much better than wasting all my goods. :lol

The ripper felt great at shorter distances, but I always fell back to the Line Gun when things got heated. I'll definitely New Game+ this bitch just to try a new gun set up, though.

george_us

I just beat it last night, fantastic game and my GOTY for next gen consoles (Persona 4 will most likely wind up my GOTY overall). My only gripe with the game is that the story felt like it had a lot of holes in it and the audio/text logs barely did anything to fill in this holes. Everything else though was great and it's been awhile since I've played a game with a lot of legitimate content on it. I picked this up for $30 on Black Friday, thinking it'd probably be worth it at that price and I came away with the best experience of the year. Great deal.

Rasputin

Banned
Zefah Dead Space is a very well optimized game. It runs about the same as HL2 on pc.

One problem with the pc version is that it has a bug that causes very sluggish mouse controls for some people if they have Vsync turned on in the in-game options. However since it's a dark game with lots of blinking lights screen tearing can be pretty noticeable like it was in Bioshock so you'll want to turn on Vsync in your videocards control panel.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I need to finish this game during my vacation. I have been trying to hold off in playing too much. Next week is Dead Space week!!!!!

KrawlMan

Alright, I just started the PC version of the game and I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but did anybody else feel that the controls were sorta...awful? I guess when I say controls, it really just boils down to the way the camera operates. The fact that mouse movement has no bearing on your positioning when you are standing still really bothers me. Why couldn't it have taken the same approach most PC shooters do? It's not like the game would have been any less scary...it would however have been far more accessible :/

Ethereal

I am going to play through the game again with the military suit to get as much of the weapon kill and upgrade trophies as possible.... Then I plan on playing again on the hardest difficulty just to see if I can do it. This seems like one of the few games that I would be able to get a platinum trophy on.

Nizz

endlessflood said:
You'll be able to switch to the DLC suit when you visit the first store in the game, which is at the end of the first chapter.
Thanks. A family member was asking me if I wanted to get this game for Christmas and I was like...YEAH!

Red

RiverBed said:
so it isn't an actual suit better than the Military one? can any body confirm, please?
Just an achievement/trophy. Military suit is the only new item unlocked for beating the game.

With DLC, the tank suit would be the best.

Finished this up on Impossible a couple days ago. Really not difficult at all with heavy weapons and the tank suit. Died once through the whole thing, hardly ever dropped below 50% health.

Great fucking game! Also, regarding the discussion about the female slasher: looks like they do indeed show up more often on higher difficulties. Saw at least a dozen on my impossible run, probably killed more without noticing.

kuYuri

I'm almost done with my Impossible run, I'm in chapter 12.

All in all, it wasn't as hard as I thought. There were some difficult parts, but I got through them after a few tries.

The annoying thing is that since it's a brand new game, I ended up switching to the Obsidian suit early and didn't realize you could not change to the regular level 5 suit. The game considers it in the inventory, yet the store won't let me equip it. So now I'm stuck with the Obsidian suit for the whole game. :|

Obsidian suit is good early on, but the regular level 5 suit becomes more useful late in the game for the 20% armor rating. I didn't feel like spending money for the dlc suits, didn't think it would be worth it.

I only used Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and Force Gun for the Impossible run.

KrawlMan

KrawlMan said:
Alright, I just started the PC version of the game and I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but did anybody else feel that the controls were sorta...awful? I guess when I say controls, it really just boils down to the way the camera operates. The fact that mouse movement has no bearing on your positioning when you are standing still really bothers me. Why couldn't it have taken the same approach most PC shooters do? It's not like the game would have been any less scary...it would however have been far more accessible :/

I've read up more on it, maybe what's bothering me is the mouse lag. Either way, whats my best bet to have this game actually feel playable on the PC? Right now it's awful.

Rolf NB

endlessflood said:

1. Ripper
2. Plasma Cutter
3. Contact Beam
4. Line Gun
5. Pulse Rifle
6. Force Gun
7. Flamethrower

If you want to rekindle your love for the force gun, try it out on groups of little enemies. Particularly the wall-crawling remains of those nasty thin, tall necros. You can take out three or four of them with one shot of the primary fire. It goes without saying that it's also super-effective against uncle fatsack's belly outpourings. The secondary fire knocks almost anything off balance, and even though it doesn't kill enemies immediately, you can effectively stun-lock them and whittle them to bits.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rasputin said:
Zefah Dead Space is a very well optimized game. It runs about the same as HL2 on pc.

One problem with the pc version is that it has a bug that causes very sluggish mouse controls for some people if they have Vsync turned on in the in-game options. However since it's a dark game with lots of blinking lights screen tearing can be pretty noticeable like it was in Bioshock so you'll want to turn on Vsync in your videocards control panel.

Does it support gamepads? If so, how are the controls? I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that I planned to use for the game, because I generally prefer a controller when playing in a third-person perspective. Also, it doesn't look like it is, but does it happen to be a Games for Windows game?

metta

I'm coming late to this thread, but I just wanted to chime in and say Dead Space makes me wet myself.

For me, this title is the pleasant surprise of the year and anyone on the fence about picking it up should take the plunge. Alien x System Shock 2 :p

Dyno

Now that all of this years games are in I can say with certainty that Dead Space was my OH WOW game of the year. It had the most emotional impact overall and was the most polished of the bunch. There have been some great games this year and in truth I may have spent more time on other titles but Dead Space got into my head more than any others.

Draft

Zefah said:
Does it support gamepads? If so, how are the controls? I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that I planned to use for the game, because I generally prefer a controller when playing in a third-person perspective. Also, it doesn't look like it is, but does it happen to be a Games for Windows game?
It practically requires a gamepad.

If you have a beefy computer and an Xbox 360 wired controller, congratulations, you have the best platform to play Dead Space on.

Donos

It practically requires a gamepad.

Found the m/k combo way more fitting for me. I have a Logitech Chillstream Pad and i played Deadspace first with pad. It's ok for me but m/k feels just way better. i play 3ps like fps. for me it's the same.

Magik

Finally finished my first playthrough... loved it. Well, except for the last boss which boiled down to 'shoot the highlighted spots'.

Other than that, awesome.

I have high hopes for the sequel/prequel.

Wahey! Just beat the Hive Mind and finished my first playthrough.

Kudos to the devs, this was such a great experience. Some frustrating bits, but if you spend time working out how to play the game, properly, it's not so frusrtrating.

One thing the games does that pissed me off, and if I could change it I would : unskippable cutscenes (and deathscenes), especially the Hive Mind :-

it tookme about 30 attempts to get the patterns of the Hive Mind down, and the intro cut-scene replayed every time pissed me off, I just wanted to get back into the action!

Apart from that, I thank the devs at EA Redwood for a great experience - i single player terms it's every bit as good as Bioshock IMHO

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
30 times? The hive mind? I took down the hive mind on my very first try, and actually never got hit. It was by far the easiest boss in the entire game.. 30 times? really..? What patterns..he has like one..swing giant tentacle..? Do the bosses have different patterns depending on the difficulty?

Red

worldrevolution said:
30 times? The hive mind? I took down the hive mind on my very first try, and actually never got hit. It was by far the easiest boss in the entire game.. 30 times? really..? What patterns..he has like one..swing giant tentacle..? Do the bosses have different patterns depending on the difficulty?
No; the bosses were the easiest part of the game for me. They were incredible to look at and I thought all three were very fun. But no; the bosses never change, regardless of difficulty. Not even sure they do any more damage if you up the difficulty. I know my health bar hardly moved the one solitary time the hive mind managed to hit me on impossible, but I was using the tank suit. Maybe the damage is more significant when you're using standard equipment?

jon bones

Just used the cheat codes (7 power nodes, 18,000 credits) to buy/upgrade the contact beam and see if I'd like it.

Seems pretty bad ass, but I'm going to buy/upgrade a ripper and see how well that works. The Line Gun / Plasma Cutter combo is effective, but a bit too vanilla I think.

Top Bottom