• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

GHG

Gold Member
Dude...
What logical excuse could you possibly conjure to explain stupid shit like this away?

You're not going to like this but I'm going to give it to you anyway:

To accelerate my car I have to press a pedal.

To shoot a gun I have to pull a trigger.

To carry my bag I have to grip to hold it.

It actually logically fits in the vast majority of other game mechanics that we take for granted. In order to carry out an action there needs to be an input from you as the player, such as holding a button to accelerate or pulling a trigger to shoot.

Why is it suddenly so crazy to extend that same mechanic to holding a bag when the game is fundamentally about transporting goods across a map?

That would be like wanting to use auto drive in a racing game, or an aimbot in a shooter.

Yes its different but that's what it's setting out to do. In the vast majority of games there is zero burden on the player for carrying a ton of shit around in invisible bags/pockets and there is no thought that goes in to the player character carrying an item in their hand.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's a bit different though, Sony games are held to a higher standard because Sony fans treat there exclusive games so far above xbox exclusives that even the opinion that this might not be the case gets piled on and mocked

Gears 5 did address a lot of the complaints of gears 4.

This is kojima lowest rated game in like 20yrs and the reviews are a bit different, there was no reputaple outlet which scored gears 5 really low, ign give DS a 6.8 is really interesting.

Theres seems to be some legitimate criticism of DS, the lack of gameplay variety, the fact you have to hold a button constantly to carry a hand suitcase etc.

It’s not different, no matter the mental gymnastics.

It’s all confirmation bias and fanaticism was my point with the context of my post. From all sides.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
You have to constantly hold a button to carry a suitcase around?

bmgCZxg.png

Do you have the review for that? Saw and read a lot of them today, but didn't find one mentioning that.
Would be interested to find out more about that.
To me it sounds like a "Well, manage your backpack load better in order to have free hands or live with the consequences".

Reactions: GHG
You're not going to like this but I'm going to give it to you anyway:

To accelerate my car I have to press a pedal.

To shoot a gun I have to pull a trigger.

To carry my bag I have to grip to hold it.

It actually logically fits in the vast majority of other game mechanics that we take for granted. In order to carry out an action there needs to be an input from you as the player, such as holding a button to accelerate or pulling a trigger to shoot.

Why is it suddenly so crazy to extend that same mechanic to holding a bag when the game is fundamentally about transporting goods across a map?

That would be like wanting to use auto drive in a racing game, or an aimbot in a shooter.

Yes its different but that's what it's setting out to do. In the vast majority of games there is zero burden on the player for carrying a ton of shit around in invisible bags/pockets and there is no thought that goes in to the player character carrying an item in their hand.
Because these are entertainment products, they're video games, they're not real life. There's many aspect in life which we are trying to rid ourselves of via automation for the same reasons, they're tedious and in many ways annoyances.

Translating mundane real life annoyances to a video game is in my opinion nonsensical. Tedium for the sake of tedium in a video game is stupid, it's not fun, it doesn't better grasp this science fiction world in some kind of reality. It does nothing but to serve as an obtrusive mechanic which could otherwise be removed and still have the same end result. Picking up the case can have it held firmly without having to hold a button, the game can manage balance, gravity, velocity and momentum on its own without the player constantly having to interject.

It's nonsense.

Do you have the review for that? Saw and read a lot of them today, but didn't find one mentioning that.
Would be interested to find out more about that.
To me it sounds like a "Well, manage your backpack load better in order to have free hands or live with the consequences".
You need to press the triggers to keep balance. The way I understood it this is used only for when you go up and downhill, or when the guy staggers/is about to fall over.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Eurogamer doesn't give out scores, nice fake image, also this merely confirms bias because no one wants to talk about how they fail let alone showcase it.

"That one positive number can't exist, now I'm going to ignore all the others!!!!"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Because these are entertainment products, they're video games, they're not real life. There's many aspect in life which we are trying to rid ourselves of via automation for the same reasons, they're tedious and in many ways annoyances.

Translating mundane real life annoyances to a video game is in my opinion nonsensical. Tedium for the sake of tedium in a video game is stupid, it's not fun, it doesn't better grasp this science fiction world in some kind of reality. It does nothing but to serve as an obtrusive mechanic which could otherwise be removed and still have the same end result. Picking up the case can have it held firmly without having to hold a button, the game can manage balance, gravity, velocity and momentum on its own without the player constantly having to interject.

It's nonsense.

Not to interrupt, but why would anyone want to chop up vegetables in a video game when they can do it in real life, especially if you're having to hold down a button to do it? Break a bunch of blocks for hours on end? A button press is so much better than having to tilt a controller for balance. This all falls back on why ShenMue fascinated the world. Fully Reactive Eye Entertainment. A game where getting a job sounded cool. I think the possibility to make any task fun is possible with the right mindset. But just as the FPS folks don't like JRPGs.. the area is divided upon their own opinions. Take away my ability to walk and have me sit on rails doesn't feel the same. I am up to the task of walking because its pretty easy to do. I think the same can be said for those willing to press the button to carry cargo.

GHG

Gold Member

It's nonsense.

This reminds me of some of the previous discussions around the Shadow of the Colossus and people finding it "boring" and "tedious", particularly the grip/stamina mechanics.

One man's mundane is another man's entertainment. Some people enjoy driving so don't want self driving cars. Some people like walking or biking so would rather do that than drive a car.

You might want to read or watch a few other reviews that actually talk about the mechanics in depth. The having to hold your bag in hand thing is actually there as a deterrent as it encourages you to manage your load better (or get rid of shit you don't really want/need) so that you can keep your hands free in case shit goes south (like DarkBatman DarkBatman alluded to).

It's not nonsense just because you don't like it or because it doesn't interest you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think I'll wait for the game to come out.

All this philosiphizing about tactical bag carrying action is too much. Get me more popcorn.

But you may need to hold the bag, and also hold each kernel individually, since handfuls fall out all over the place.

You sure you’re ready for that?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Death Stranding has an initial 'hazing' period of two dozen hours, it then dumps a playground load of toys and gadgets on you....
You can apparently do incredible stuff with the things you get.

This review is really good. (even though I have no love for Kotaku)

So you're using 11 reviews that gave 60-70 score + one 35 and choose to disregard 60 reviews that gave 80+ score + one 75?
We all know u youre an xbox fan and never had any good impression on any playstation game related

So why bother wasting you time here?

Seems like a waste imo
He can only see 16% of the reviews in Metacritic :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You guys are a bit slow, not surprising. That post is highlighting how you can make anything look good or bad within a vacuum. Posting some picture of a bunch of 9's and 10's is stupid because that same image could be filled with 6's and 7's.

Get a grip.

ethomaz

Banned
You guys are a bit slow, not surprising. That post is highlighting how you can make anything look good or bad within a vacuum. Posting some picture of a bunch of 9's and 10's is stupid because that same image could be filled with 6's and 7's.

Get a grip.
No it is not.

The game have a lot of 9's and 10's... that is why it sits at 84 even with 12 sub 7's reviews.
You said the guy ignored the low reviews that are 16% while you shameless ignored 84% of the reviews lol

But that is your usual create a narrative ignoring facts.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Gamestop 7/10
Edge 6/10

These two looks exactly like reputable outlet with similar scores as IGN.
True, but edge score are really weird, I think they gave like metel gear 3 a 7/10.

Yeah a 7 is not great but it's more in line with other gears 5 scores.

DS scores are really varried.

This post is wild.

The fact that you can fit all the mixed and negative reviews into one single image tells it's own story. But yet... You still posted it as if it's something people should be worried about.
Posting that 9 and 10 living in a vacuum image is just as valid as posting this one.

wwmUh1k.png

and then ignoring this...

a4a5CGJ.png

You guys are clown shoes.

ethomaz

Banned
True, but edge score are really weird, I think they gave like metel gear 3 a 7/10.

Yeah a 7 is not great but it's more in line with other gears 5 scores.

DS scores are really varried.
Both scored similar... if you look there are about 10 yellow scores (< 75) and everything else green scores... avg. 84.

It is highly possible they have similar number of 9's and 8's.

Last edited:

cabbage5k2

ALL THESE MOTHERFUCKERS COMPLAINING THAT DEATH STRANDING IS MOSTLY EXPLORATION BUT SAID NOTHING WHEN 90% OF BREATH OF THE WILD WAS THE SAME FUCKING THING.

HopefulNervousCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Weirdly enough, it's precisely this that makes me incredibly intrigued in this game. Kojima's interpretation of Botw's gameplay loop with slightly less emphasis on physics and far larger emphasis on story and character maintenance? Could actually be quite a fantastic game for fans of that particular title.

Psykodad

Banned

Get a grip.
You'd have a point if reviews weren't overwhelmingly positive.

Shifty

Death Stranding has an initial 'hazing' period of two dozen hours, it then dumps a playground load of toys and gadgets on you....
You can apparently do incredible stuff with the things you get.

This review is really good. (even though I have no love for Kotaku)

How dare you ask me if Death Stranding is good. Don't watch my video, play the game!
...Said the reviewer :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

And these text overlays with DEATH STRANDING IS A CLASSIC too, is this secretly MHK's youtube channel?
It feels like the video is a bizarre performance art piece in and of itself.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The thread is already pretty active.

Imagine... just imagine if the game had really received bad reviews with Meta like 65 or 70 :D

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The same could be said of Gears 5 which has the identical score, and it's still got a lot of problems the difference is people are willing to admit them whereas here... well...

We do have a review thread here, for contrast (or mirror), depending who you ask to perceive.

DanielsM

Banned
Watched some of the DF footage, looks interesting in parts but I have concerns it might not all work as intended... looks like a modern or different version of Silent Hill in an open world, notice he even mentioned it (Silent Hill).

I'll probably pick this up next year, the graphics are real nice, imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom