• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

I agree, I love games that push the medium of gaming. Been gaming since the NES, I am 35. The more the game is realistic, the more i enjoy it and become immerse and invested in the character. good character animation is what i love the most. I never fast travel in any games because for me its part of the journey.
I have learned to be patience and try to understand what a game is all about. Not all games should be about gunning and running. diversity is always welcome and that's what gaming is missing these days.

Death Stranding will be successful. I have no doubt. People just need to have an open mind and try it first. We might not like it, but "people" ( I guess they are mostly 12 years old) should stop the nonsense bashing, we clearly see that they ( Kojima Team) put a lot of passion and hard work into that project.

I am tired of lazy cookie cutter games with glitches and so on. The best exemple this year is Ubisoft with Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

When I pay 60$ for a game, I pay to experience and play something that i havent seen before. that's how i value my hard earn money, I never support a company that lazy and only care about my money, like Ubisoft.

I don't personally care about Kojima, i respect him as a creator and a fellow human being. So please people respect the man and his team. they are part of our gaming community. They never put micro transactions everywhere into their games because so far they care about the gaming community, and respect what gaming is all about.

For those who havent played and are happy and want this particular game to fail, you are the Cancer of our gaming community.
This post is a MUST READ! I got a feeling this came from the heart and mind of a genuine gaming enthusiast :)

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Will we be able to trust the Metacritic User Score next week?

I’m afraid people who don’t buy the game are still going to post a negative review and score to bring the average down... just as some who do buy it might post a biased higher score.

either way, Will the FedEx, USPS and UPS delivery man feel a sense of accomplishment when he delivers you your physical copy?
Just kidding ;)

You can never trust anyone. Ownership itself is a liability when it comes to getting the truth because it's human nature to defend stupid choices to avoid admitting you made a mistake.

One of the most useful opinions you could get about a game is from a verified pirate who played through it. Absolutely zero investment in the game. No reason to lie about its quality.

dirthead

Banned
The monster energy drink ingame? Yeah it's real.

giphy.gif

What a hack.

Psykodad

Banned
Arguing AGAINST the statement/idea that 'games must always be fun' is a disingenuous way to try and shut down certain criticisms of certain games.

Very few people actually mean 'a game should always be fun!' What they mean is 'a game should always be engaging'. They know this (although they may not have thought about it enough to articulate it) and those pushing back on them probably know it as well.

Does a game need to be balls to the wall action at all (or any) times to be good? Of course not. Few would argue otherwise.

Unless the game is literally intended to bore the Player's brain for some sort of metaphorical goal (Death Stranding MAY very well fall into this category), no one makes a game with the intention of NOT engaging the brain of the Player. Just like no one makes a movie- even a slow burn art house film- with the goal of making the audience disengage.

TL;DR- I would love for people to stop acting as if 'Games don't always HAVE to be fun!' is some sort of battlecry for those who look at games as MORE than just shoot-em-ups and fast driving arcade experiences.
Most people- and I would argue everyone on this board- already agrees that fun doesn't always have to be the goal. But you want to make a game that isn't engaging? Ok, well THAT is an argument we can have :).

Jaffe

Fair point.
However, "fun" is highly subjective and those saying that "games don't always have to be fun" are likely pointing that out with poor wording.

This would also explain why the reception is divisive.

Ivellios

You can never trust anyone. Ownership itself is a liability when it comes to getting the truth because it's human nature to defend stupid choices to avoid admitting you made a mistake.

One of the most useful opinions you could get about a game is from a verified pirate who played through it. Absolutely zero investment in the game. No reason to lie about its quality.

Not really, every reviewer received the game for free, so they dont need to lie in order to justify their purchase or anything of the sort.

User score from metacritic on the other hand will be completely useless, because everyone will be biased in defending or attacking the game at all costs because of fanboyism.

dirthead

Banned
Not really, every reviewer received the game for free, so they dont need to lie in order to justify their purchase or anything of the sort.

User score from metacritic on the other hand will be completely useless, because everyone will be biased in defending or attacking the game at all costs because of fanboyism.

If you honestly believe that publications don't feel pressure from the industry I have several bridges to sell you.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima Death Stranding will be one of the best games of the generation, don't listen to idiots and reviews (of which most are positive to the game anyway). Seeing the enthusiasm, hope you enjoy the game soon!
Who is creating the official topic?

Damn, the Iceland inspired world is absolutely gorgeous.
Arigatou, Fushitsusha Fushitsusha
HWaQd6Z.png

Mista Mista has the honour of creating the OT of Death Stranding :)

ethomaz

Banned
Its not spin when its 100% objectively true. Those are real pics from the game.
His comment is pure hate and spin... others companies already had products on games nothing happened.

The fact the energy drink is a ingame consumable item that recover stamina while the Xbox dashboard had the same item in a more intrusive way tells a lot of the guy on Twitter.

Last edited:
Even worse is an ad for Reedus’ AMC motorcycle show.
This is also what I find way worse than the Monster cans.

The Ad for Reedus' show breaks immersion completely, because it shows a picture of him instead of just a logo. You are playing the dude who is featured in the ad... and you see it when he takes a shit.

He also seems like a narcissist, he loves looking at himself when sitting on the shitter. WTF man.

I hope they'll change it with a patch... if not I'm totally gonna mod it on PC so Sam can look at tiddies instead.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not to defend ds or his core gameplay, but do people realize that the infamous gameplay video with the 10 min speed up walk on the highway looks even more boring than it is because the guy doesn't use the motorcycle?!
You build highways just for that, the guy in the video doesn't seems to understand that and he walk for a lot of time in that video but it's not how do you suppose to play the game...

Imagine not using horses in rdr2...

FranXico

Its not spin when its 100% objectively true. Those are real pics from the game.
The Monster product placement is real.

The assumption that people would rage about product placement by either EA or MS is just fanboy BS. At least EA has done that before and people were ok with that. MS does it a lot outside gaming (first thing that happened to Skype were MS product ads in the installer after getting bought) and it's hardly the end of the world.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only thing that I've seen is an IGN video showcasing the graphical fidelity between the Pro and the base console. Obviously things look a lot sharper on the Pro, but they don't go into performance.
DF said that they're going to have another video coming later due to the fact that everyone was timeboxed in what they could show so I'll expect that they'll have a Pro vs Ps4 comparison sometime next week or the second the game goes live for everyone.

On a personal note, I'm getting it on a base PS4 because with the new consoles so close and the fact that it's also coming out on PC later, getting a Pro now would be a waste of money imo unless of course you don't have a PS4 in general.

Edit: Here's the IGN video. Obviously it won't do you a lick of good unless you have a TV or monitor that can stream Youtube videos in 4k to really see the difference.

Ps4 base seems to lack taa ? There is some specular shimmering

FranXico

Not to defend ds or his core gameplay, but do people realize that the infamous gameplay video with the 10 min speed up walk on the highway looks even more boring than it is because the guy doesn't use the motorcycle?!
You build highways just for that, the guy in the video doesn't seems to understand that and he walk for a lot of time in that video but it's not how do you suppose to play the game...

Imagine not using horses in rdr2...
Vehicles are unlocked later on in the game. The player who posted that video might not have had access to them yet.

demigod

Soooooo true lol

What a dumbass Jez continues to be. You should've read the comments before posting that. Apparently Kojima always placed things that he liked into his games. God knows Apple ain't paying him to put Ipods into MGS5. Quantum Break had Nissans in their game. Or how about the ads on the Xbox dashboard when you've paid for Xbox Live? Why aren't you outrage about those?

The ingame placements of real products aren't annoying, and i actually thought that they were a good addition. The game is fictional but tells a story of an alternative earth so why not putting stuff from real world to make it appear more realistic. It's not our job to judge if he did it for the money or his own pleasure.

demigod demigod said that kojima puts in his games stuff he loves and thats true. The memory chips you collect unlock various stuff Hideo likes, like motorcycles, books, movies, songs.

Also some interesting facts about the IGN reviewer Tristan Ogilvie... he has reviewed 50 games and never once given a game over 85.
Most of his reviews are scathing and he was probably given the review to stir up controversy.
or the truth is that the game is shitty.... walking simulator.. we will see in a week when people play it.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Fair point.
However, "fun" is highly subjective and those saying that "games don't always have to be fun" are likely pointing that out with poor wording.

This would also explain why the reception is divisive.

Yeah. I'm of the opinion people should argue what something is, not what it isn't. It tends to avoid all of the fallout that naturally comes when people feel their viewpoint is threatened.

Last edited:

Terenty

The thing that i can already say disappointing is BTs.

Its a missed opportunity not to make them appear randomly during rain on your travels. It would add so much tension to the game and i don't think its that hard to implement.

Its such an obvious thing and i actually was looking forward to that element most of all.

Oh well

ROMhack

What a dumbass Jez continues to be. You should've read the comments before posting that. Apparently Kojima always placed things that he liked into his games. God knows Apple ain't paying him to put Ipods into MGS5. Quantum Break had Nissans in their game. Or how about the ads on the Xbox dashboard when you've paid for Xbox Live? Why aren't you outrage about those?

iPods are in MGS IV too and I actually thought it was a brilliant cue to remind the player that a game doesn't entirely exist in its own fictional vacuum.

Edit: H hollowcupra has already expressed this.

Last edited:

Jibbyf

Neo Member
Wow this actually seems like a good game, although I don't think it's gonna be as good as Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War or Uncharted 4.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Vehicles are unlocked later on in the game. The player who posted that video might not have had access to them yet.
if i remember correctly from some review i saw, you unlock the motorcycble before the more complex stuff to create like the highway.
but i'm not sure of this.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Plenty of ways to make traversal easier (including fast travel with the help of Fragile) are unlocked long before reaching the 40 hour mark.

Still not the same and far from what I would consider a fast travel system but hey if you think its okay for you then good. Just saying they do make a point. Wish people would stop dismissing personal concerns about the game.

The thing that i can already say disappointing is BTs.

Its a missed opportunity not to make them appear randomly during rain on your travels. It would add so much tension to the game and i don't think its that hard to implement.

Its such an obvious thing and i actually was looking forward to that element most of all.

Oh well

In the beggining i also thought they appeared during rain but they just appear on certain parts of the map. When they appear on those parts the timefall rain is just heavier. It does it to pressure you to move away faster and increase tention. After a few encounters with them it's just annoying

if i remember correctly from some review i saw, you unlock the motorcycble before the more complex stuff to create like the highway.
but i'm not sure of this.

There arent really any complex stuff to make. A postbox, generator, watchtower, bridge, zip line, safehouse, road. Out of all of these only the bridge, the safehouse andnthe roads need materials to get built. For the others you just select the PCC, select the structure and gets it ready in 20 seconds.

This was probably posted but IGN did not liked that there is no path to take on a map like in RDR2.... :

The tweet is wrong. The game actually takes you by the hand and explains everything. Some UI options are weird because it's over convoluted but mostly everything is well explained.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Also some interesting facts about the IGN reviewer Tristan Ogilvie... he has reviewed 50 games and never once given a game over 85.
Most of his reviews are scathing and he was probably given the review to stir up controversy.
I don’t know if you did your own research or you’re referencing my post from the other thread, but he has given a game higher than an 85 (8.5). He hasn’t given any 9s or 10s.

0A4Q4hj.png

Last edited:

Wink

This was probably posted but IGN did not liked that there is no path to take on a map like in RDR2.... :

This is the perfect example of familiarity breeds comfort. What they say here is that Death Stranding is demanding. Most people do not like change, they like what they're used to. I crave change in videogames. I crave to be challenged in ways that I'm not utterly familiar with. Until now, traveling through an open world was mostly made enjoyable by the audiovisual components and the knowledge that something gamey will happen when I reach my destination. Now gameplay is happening at all times. Decision making and dealing with consequences and surprises sounds absolutely awesome, sure there remains the question of how qualitative the experience will be that I can only answer for myself when I play it, but conceptually everyone should be applauding this approach. Especially when something unexpected happens that throws a wrench in your plan.

Top Bottom