• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Otterz4Life

How it doesn't make sense in DS? his job is literally travel on foot. Do you think in a timeline like in death stranding they would have energy drink?
Having pseudoephedrine energy pills would make a hell of a lot more sense as a futuristic delivery guy would be trying to cut weight, not lug around heavy cans of Monster(tm) or NOS.

Kagero

Gold Member
Yeah fuck it. I ain't waiting for pc.
Holidays booked check
Pre order the game check

Can't wait

Love the enthusiasm 👍. The look and tone of DS reminds me of Arrival. Coincidently, that was an alien movie that didn’t rely on action scenes and over the top set pieces to create an interesting story/experience. I’m hoping Death Stranding is that type of game. Arrival was my fave movie of that year.

Saruhashi

Banned

triggered.

So I guess this is just turning into yet another "gamers vs game journalists" scenario.

I won't know if the game is any good until I play it but for now it just looks like some of these journos are using a big gaming event to make it all about themselves and about how other people are just dumb.

I don't think trust in reviewers has ever been lower and I don't think it's coincidence that this happens at the same time as reviewers increasingly looking to be confrontational with the players.

I honestly am more looking forward to reading what actual players think of this game when people on here start playing it on Friday.

Plenty of posters on here who offer MUCH better insight than anyone at IGN. Looking forward to that.

Saruhashi

Banned
I really feel like it's also worth pointing out that guys like Yong Yea and Skill Up really went out of their way to not spoil anything and to only use footage that isn't new or too revealing.

IGN seems to just not give a fuck about any of that.

Also, regarding the Edge guy who couldn't meet the deadline, Yong Yea says they got 3 weeks with the game so that guy is full of shit too.

Stuart360

I really feel like it's also worth pointing out that guys like Yong Yea and Skill Up really went out of their way to not spoil anything and to only use footage that isn't new or too revealing.

Also, regarding the Edge guy who couldn't meet the deadline, Yong Yea says they got 3 weeks with the game so that guy is full of shit too.
He didnt say he didnt have time to finish the game, he said he didnt WANT to finish the game, but they wouldn't let him put out a review if he didnt finish the game.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Ahh, I'm sure I will buy this then proceed to watch the rest of the cutscenes halfway, maybe after the delivery gameplay parts digested. Seems like a brilliant movie I wouldn't want to miss.

Still appreciate Kojima's production though. Good work.

Reactions: Isa

yodine53

I've seen a lot of reviewers and people on internet saying things like: "This game is not for everyone!!!" or "Death stranding is a piece of art!". I just wanted to remember what Kojima said in an interview.
"If 100 people walk by and a single person is captivated by whatever that piece radiates, it's art. But videogames aren't trying to capture one person. A videogame should make sure that all 100 people that play that game should enjoy the service provided by that videogame. It's something of a service. It's not art"

Psykodad

Banned
I've seen a lot of reviewers and people on internet saying things like: "This game is not for everyone!!!" or "Death stranding is a piece of art!". I just wanted to remember what Kojima said in an interview.
"If 100 people walk by and a single person is captivated by whatever that piece radiates, it's art. But videogames aren't trying to capture one person. A videogame should make sure that all 100 people that play that game should enjoy the service provided by that videogame. It's something of a service. It's not art"
You conveniently cut off the final sentence of that quote:
"But I guess the way of providing service with that videogame is an artistic style, a form of art."

yodine53

You conveniently cut off the final sentence of that quote:
"But I guess the way of providing service with that videogame is an artistic style, a form of art."
A form of art. Not totally art(his final conclusion at the end of the interview. I didn't want to post all of it because it's too large).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am probably ruining the game for me but I swear... this trailer is just captivating.
The guy at 4:44 looks damn real too. How can this be on ps4 if it's real time?

And I can't take the BB's theme out of my head. I will ruin it for myself as it is probably a song played in important moment of the game :LOL:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It’s “bringing money into the game”. Same thing.

I hope you don't mind then if one day your girlfriend/wife comes home one day and says she's decided to become a hooker.

"What's the problem honey? I'm still bringing money into the household"

OccasionalRealLangur-small.gif

yeah, Skills Up review is wonderfully and carefully constructed. I recommend that one to anyone trying to go in as fresh as possible but still want to know what to expect

Psykodad

Banned
It's what he said, not my thoughts. Anyway, i posted the interview because it's fun that he thinks a game should please everyone and Desth stranding is divisive as hell
If it's just something he said, why did you leave out that sentence I pointed out (especially since it's literally the next sentence to where you cut of that quote)?
Kojima himseld added nuance to his point.

Last edited:

yodine53

If it's just something he said, why did you leave out that sentence I pointed out (especially since it's literally the next sentence to where you cut of that quote)?
Kojima himseld added nuance to his point.
I'm not trying to hide anything if that's what you are insinuating. He clearly says like three times the same thing: videogames aren't art. Even the writer of the article noticed that (hence the title).

mcjmetroid

The casual masses aren't aware of those things, they will just blindly buy whatever IGN tells them is good.
I'm sorry but why don't people accept the ign interview? Did you watch the video. It's very thorough for a 10 minutes video. That fast travel system put me right off to be honest and he showed it in the video.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
hahaha..... and microtransaction not? 😉😉😉😉😉😂
Yes how can you not understand this. You don't pay for microtransactions unless you want to. These are ads IN game.

Microtransactions are not the same thing, or even remotely comparable to ads.
Yeah micros are things people can choose to pay and ads are something included with the game you bought. Therefore ads are superior praise Kojima! (I made a cent making this point thanks ads!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal Gear was a fluke, MGS4 proved that, and MGS5 sealed the deal.

People should have seen this coming. Kojima without anyone to balance him is not exactly a good thing.

sixamp

Reviews are opinions. There's no right or wrong . Fanatics (fans) just can't accept one that is different than their own. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Screw them, I thought the game looked absolutely boring from the first trailer. Ill wait a for a sale and then give it a go

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m tempted to get this just to try it out. It looks like everything I hate in a game though and I’ll probably never get far in it. Having to constantly balance the guys walking sounds kind it would get old really fast.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Some pretty interesting impressions from an Italian EG reviewer and Youtuber. They played the game for 90 hrs(!) and were rarely bored. Definitely true connaisseurs of fine arts gaming, not like those IGN snark babies.

Nothing is ever going to make this go away.

clt25V8.png

Trying to counter a review with another review, or a review of a review is high key pathetic lol. You guys need a break.

Petrae

Trying to counter a review with another review, or a review of a review is high key pathetic lol. You guys need a break.

People need justification for their fandom, and reviews supply this required justification. They need to know that other people think their hyped/favorite title is as amazing as they already know it is.

This kind of behavior is not new. The hardcore Nintendo fandom is an example of a faction that requires high review scores, and they lash out mightily at any reviewer who dares not think the same way. Kojima fans are slightly less obsessed, but the case of Death Stranding here is demonstrating that it happens with them, too.

I use reviews as a tool to make purchase decisions, not as justification devices for what I buy or what I enjoy, and sense at least a similar amount of bias from word of mouth sources as I would from more traditional reviews. I’ve trended away from word of mouth testimony and more towards typical review sources, including YouTube channels that I’ve followed for a long time and have earned my trust.

One of the most unfortunate traits of fandoms today is their general inability to accept different opinions and viewpoints of the things that they’re fans of. Pointing out flaws or things that you don’t personally care for is asking for a heap of trouble instead of broader conversation and at least an attempt to understand multiple points of view or perspectives. Reviews that represent a different opinion that what the fandom hivemind has just lead to a shit ton of animosity and hard feelings.

FranXico

Yeah micros are things people can choose to pay and ads are something included with the game you bought. Therefore ads are superior praise Kojima! (I made a cent making this point thanks ads!)
How it usually works with microtransactions is: do you want to grind, or do you want a decently paced progression system? Do you want to win on multiplayer? You can choose to pay or get your ass kicked. Remember the FOB insurance? Great optional microtransactions! Much better than ads!

Pointing out a false equivalence is praising Kojima now ROFL.

You are funny, but not in the way you think you are. Just like Kojima. ;)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Some pretty interesting impressions from an Italian EG reviewer and Youtuber. They played the game for 90 hrs(!) and were rarely bored. Definitely true connaisseurs of fine arts gaming, not like those IGN snark babies.

Sounds like another masterpiece.
Hard it is for the first play :)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How it usually works with microtransactions is: do you want to grind, or do you want a decently paced progression system? Do you want to win on multiplayer? You can choose to pay or get your ass kicked. Remember the FOB insurance? Great optional microtransactions! Much better than ads!

Pointing out a false equivalence is praising Kojima now ROFL.

You are funny, but not in the way you think you are. Just like Kojima. ;)
Not all microtrans =/= winning. You see it in every single major game these days (some as dlc). How are skins in OW comparable to winning to pay again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wink

You just can't help yourselves being insecure and having to take digs at every differing opinion. There is evidence out there to feel secure in your own one. If you want you can sit in your bubble and just be happy that DS is a masterpiece/of shit, whatever strokes your fancy. But try growing up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom