• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
True my ass. People download gta mods to add product placement all the time.

Pubg has red bull in it.

And yeah poor MS boohoo

MS has them on their own dashboard before you even boot up a game. Jez is so pathetic whining to the world with a “whatabout”.

Also, people want real ads in their sports games by EA.

Fucking manbaby. :pie_roffles: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s starting to seem like an online survival game... well kinda.

User review scores would be an accurate metric but not if the game has some kind of persistent exploration and multiplayer component, because then players would tank it anyway.

It’s definitely not Metal Gear and that sucks. The problem is I don’t see much being said about it’s action component or boss battles. It’s somewhat concerning

Last edited:

Holdfing

Hmm looks like I was wrong, and this is not just another third person open world game. It's a truck simulator. Without trucks, mostly. That video of the guy running on the freeway didn't fill me with confidence :messenger_neutral:
Re: Monster, Metal Gear games had product placement for a while, this is nothing new. CalorieMate, iPod, Sony Walkman, probably more I can't remember.

Last edited:
It’s starting to seem like an online survival game... well kinda.

User review scores would be an accurate metric but not if the game has some kind of persistent exploration and multiplayer component, because then players would tank it anyway.

It’s definitely not Metal Gear and that sucks. The problem is I don’t see much being said about it’s action component or boss battles. It’s somewhat concerning

There are 7 non optional bosses. Though the fights themselves are uninteresting and repetitive.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They have not come to think guys that this is a marketing maneuver. How is it possible for analysts to give their final verdict several days before the game is released, and with very different scores from each other?

It is assumed that in order not to affect the sales of the game, the ratings must be released days later or at least on the day of release.

The game for me does not deserve a 9, however I plan to buy more than anything because it offers a different gameplay, also for the story.

But I'm going to buy it after Black Friday.

I will play it as a game as such, I do not care if it is done by Hideo Kojima or if it has real actors, I will value the game itself independently, not for its production values.

Last edited:
Skill Up and a couple others already had me sold, but I just watched this review as well. The way he describes much of the gameplay loop as being like a space trucker just clicked for me. I think I'm really going to love playing this game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
is psplus required for online in this? I remember getting ps4 slim + bloodborne few years ago and was very surprised it is required to biu ps plus even for bloodborn's simple online functions.
So I wonder is it required for ds and is it preferable way of playing it

FMXVII

Not to defend ds or his core gameplay, but do people realize that the infamous gameplay video with the 10 min speed up walk on the highway looks even more boring than it is because the guy doesn't use the motorcycle?!
You build highways just for that, the guy in the video doesn't seems to understand that and he walk for a lot of time in that video but it's not how do you suppose to play the game...

Imagine not using horses in rdr2...

Even Kevin Costner used a horse... and he went went full Kojima on that script.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not surprised he said a few years he really wanted to make movies and his games really do reflect that, he is a game director when he should be a movie director.

he’d be a shit low level movie director, games are the only place he’d ever achieve success and he’s always know it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
is psplus required for online in this? I remember getting ps4 slim + bloodborne few years ago and was very surprised it is required to biu ps plus even for bloodborn's simple online functions.

Not required from what people are saying.

Wink

he’d be a shit low level movie director, games are the only place he’d ever achieve success and he’s always know it.
He'd be a loss to the videogame industry because he actually gives a shit about designing gameplay, if you think it's successful or not, he's making shit happen no one else does like a dynamic, systems driven, open world stealth action game. Beyond that he clearly has an eye for cinematics and don't take my word on it, take the word from actually successful movie directors appreciating his work. Who knows how it would translate into the actual production of a movie, you certainly don't.

FranXico

Since it's asynchronous multiplayer, PS+ should not be required. Would be pretty nasty of Sony if this wasn't the case (looking at you Bloodborne).

ethomaz

Banned
The Monster product placement is real.

The assumption that people would rage about product placement by either EA or MS is just fanboy BS. At least EA has done that before and people were ok with that. MS does it a lot outside gaming (first thing that happened to Skype were MS product ads in the installer after getting bought) and it's hardly the end of the world.
Some sense in the thread (y)

Wink

PSPlus is definitely not required to play online and it is definitely the prefered way to play going by the opinions and reviews I've seen: It will make your journey more enjoyable, you might even grow fond of the users helping you out or find comfort in the knowledge that you did something to help out someone else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PSPlus is definitely not required to play online and it is definitely the prefered way to play going by the opinions and reviews I've seen: It will make your journey more enjoyable, you might even grow fond of the users helping you out or find comfort in the knowledge that you did something to help out someone else.
Since it's asynchronous multiplayer, PS+ should not be required. Would be pretty nasty of Sony if this wasn't the case (looking at you Bloodborne).
Thank god. The ps plus requirement for Bloodborne bummed me the hell out when I got slim and bloodborne goty in late 2017 finally... I've finished the game offline.
I've still never used even a trial for ps plus and I am not sure if/how to activate it. Might be good for replaying bloodobne if Death Stranding don't require it.
And it's such a bad value too. Old free games which I already own, pointeless cloud storage which should be free and... just playing multiplayer? for 10 euro monthly?! WUT. On gamepass, it's 1 euro monthly for all those games on pc. or 5 euro monthly after beta will expire.
There is still a question if the game will be to polluted with bridges and ladders in online mode

Last edited:

imsosleepy

Weird question time. I've tried to avoid any discourse about this game cuz I want to be surprised. I remember how divisive RDR2 was last year, and there were some people who hated on the game because of it's slow pacing. I loved RDR2 for exactly those reasons. I'm wondering (hoping) that it's going to be a similar experience for me in that I tend to really enjoy slower paced games with weighty animation priorities.

Hope I worded that correctly, I just woke up.
dude i loved the slow pacing in red dead as well. the slow walking in camp was awesome, so immersive because who runs in a fucking camp? I ate the stews, drank cofee, took time to relax..

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
dude i loved the slow pacing in red dead as well. the slow walking in camp was awesome, so immersive because who runs in a fucking camp? I ate the stews, drank cofee, took time to relax..
The slow pacing in rdr2 was not the problem. The problem was forced slow walking in camp, very slow animations for many stuff, clunky controls and non obvious button prompts. if that game did not had button prompts displayed or waypoints on radar, it would be unplayable

ROMhack

I find it weird how he's never actually directed a film. The Japanese industry is fairly strong and there's been instances of creatives in other mediums doing it (Hideaki Anno made three live-action films post Evangelion). I suspect he knows he can get a bigger budget in gaming and doesn't like the idea of doing something low-budget.

Last edited:

Wink

There is still a question if the game will be to polluted with bridges and ladders in online mode
No, there's a limit of how much can show up in the world you're playing in and it is balanced within the progression. At least from what I have heard on it it seems to be well done, with people talking about being grateful for the help without feeling that others solved the game for them.

thelastword

Banned
Arigatou, @Fushitsusha
HWaQd6Z.png

Mista Mista has the honour of creating the OT of Death Stranding :)
TBH, I think that honor should have gone to you...….You deserve it....

In many situations user crafted stuff make the game extremely easy. At places you have to climb extremely steep mountains that are a chore, but if you build a zipline makes traversal a walk in the park. i was playing the game at the same time with my partner and she had structures in her session i didnt have so i suppose is not a global thing but split between servers. That means experience will be different for everyone.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
True my ass. People download gta mods to add product placement all the time.

Pubg has red bull in it.

And yeah poor MS boohoo
Jet Moto had Mountain Dew, which was cool.

04-F52-BA3-1-DF4-4723-8734-4-DF1963-FEDAC.jpg

ShenMue had Coca-Cola at the time. In a world where people buy Monster on their way to work almost daily, it makes sense. The brand is huge. Call of Duty has had them a couple times.

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

Jet Moto had Mountain Dew, which was cool.

04-F52-BA3-1-DF4-4723-8734-4-DF1963-FEDAC.jpg

ShenMue had Coca-Cola at the time. In a world where people buy Monster on their way to work almost daily, it makes sense. The brand is huge. Call of Duty has had them a couple times.
I certainly wouldn’t expect rampant product placement in a art house film. It makes sense in a racing game or a game that takes place in modern times, not in a game like DS.

This thread has to be more fun than the actual game.

SLB1904

Banned
I certainly wouldn’t expect rampant product placement in a art house film. It makes sense in a racing game or a game that takes place in modern times, not in a game like DS.

How it doesn't make sense in DS? his job is literally travel on foot. Do you think in a timeline like in death stranding they would have energy drink?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

What if it was something like “Energy Earth X” or some odd name placement for the energy drink? Is that more suitable? I think ShenMue existed as a gaming testament and having Coca-Cola at the vending machines didn't take away from that.

thelastword

Banned
I wanted Mista Mista to do it because he's as big of a fan as me and he has the better skills when it comes to making proper threads like an OT.
Well I don't agree with that decision, but I respect it...…...NEVER FORGET...….A thread does not have to be filled with pretty pictures and well curtailed edges to be awesome...…...

Like this OT below, perhaps one of the best on GAF, short minimalistic and everybody expected that poster to do it......

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ninja-gaiden-ii-the-official-gaf-thread-of-chaos.301558/

Be sure to check the controls bit, the games screens and what needed to be patched......A legendary thread, which I never forgot tbh......

Well I don't agree with that decision, but I respect it...…...NEVER FORGET...….A thread does not have to be filled with pretty pictures and well curtailed edges to be awesome...…...

Like this OT below, perhaps one of the best on GAF, short minimalistic and everybody expected that poster to do it......

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ninja-gaiden-ii-the-official-gaf-thread-of-chaos.301558/

Be sure to check the controls bit, the games screens and what needed to be patched......A legendary thread, which I never forgot tbh......
This is such a good OT! Ahead of its time in terms of design and section structure :eek:

It also gave me a bit of an existential crisis because I realized how very few people mention this OT at all nowadays :/ I feel like my work on GAF will face the same consequence.....

MiguelItUp

I dont have a problem with product placement. If it means a bit extra money to put into a game, then its all good.
Exactly, that's where I'm at. If it can provide enough cushion for your project then it's the right route to take. I've always been a person that takes the better safe than sorry route. So you can bet if I just started a company and was developing my first project I'd want as much money as I could possibly have. At least enough to make it come to life the way I saw it, the way it was meant to be. Not to mention it was abundantly clear that Kojima was wanting to make an incredibly expensive project, I mean MGS V was expensive AF as well.

Movies and shows do it for a reason, so it makes sense for games to do it as well.

I feel like the worst that could come out of it is annoyance from obvious camera angles showcasing the product placement. As long as it doesn't ruin the game and experience, I'm totally fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom