• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, I basically agree with everything here, I wish they would just make Raiden-style plain old spaceship/jet shooters or something, the loli stuff is super off-putting.

I agree and approve. Something like Ikaruga or Gradius would be awesome. I could never get past like the 3rd stage of Ikaruga, so maybe something less insanely difficult though. =P

Noogy

Still waiting for my copy from Amazon :\ And I'm hearing horror stories on how the packages are being shipped.

Noogy said:
Still waiting for my copy from Amazon :\ And I'm hearing horror stories on how the packages are being shipped.

Yeah, my package was squashed. The game and faceplate were perfectly fine though so I'm not too upset.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My package came in perfect condition! Too bad I can't play the damn thing, so it's just been sitting on the shelf since I got it.

luka said:
Why are you so mean? 。・゚(ノД`)゚・。
<3

Risette

A Good Citizen
My Amazon copy was shipped in a pretty solid box, but I did choose one-day shipping. Do they use different boxes for different methods?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
My Amazon copy was shipped in a pretty solid box, but I did choose one-day shipping. Do they use different boxes for different methods?
I think it's random. Most of the times I get a single game in a small box that fits in a mailbox, and I got Monster Hunter Tri in a huge ass box for some reason.

Zertez

I picked this up yesterday, Im loving the game so far. Luckily I found a few copies at Gamestop. My gf laughed a little at the box, but she thought the game was "cute" when I was playing. I dont think the Loli aspect is that big of a deal during the game. It is there, but I barely noticed it.

Can someone explain how the scoring system works, or give a few tips. I was watching a few videos and it seems like the people playing stay in power up mode and when the item counter runs out, it instantly recharges to 1000.

conman

Zertez said:
My gf laughed a little at the box, but she thought the game was "cute" when I was playing. I dont think the Loli aspect is that big of a deal during the game. It is there, but I barely noticed it.
My wife just rolled her eyes and made some comment about how it's no worse (or better) than the portrayal of women in every other game I play. :D

Can someone explain how the scoring system works, or give a few tips. I was watching a few videos and it seems like the people playing stay in power up mode and when the item counter runs out, it instantly recharges to 1000.
Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I feel like I'm slowly figuring it out on my own (something to do with switching attacks for specific enemy types), but there are a few key tricks I'm still missing.

Hunahan

Banned
Black Label is where it's at. I think I'm pretty much done with 1.1 after trying it, and my opinion of the game has gone up because of the differences.

Arrange mode doesn't seem very interesting either. I think I'm solid Black Label from here on out.

LiK

i hate using Follett cuz she's so weak but she has the best loli ending if you choose to stay. i guess that's your "reward" for using her :p

danmaku

Zertez said:
I picked this up yesterday, Im loving the game so far. Luckily I found a few copies at Gamestop. My gf laughed a little at the box, but she thought the game was "cute" when I was playing. I dont think the Loli aspect is that big of a deal during the game. It is there, but I barely noticed it.

Scoring in a nutshell (vanilla DS):

- Kill enemies to get items. Items fill your item counter (it's the big number in the lower left corner); if you use the right shot type, enemies will drop more items. The item counter maxes out at 1000.

- When the item counter is maxed out, you can activate power up mode by pressing the lock shot button. In power up mode your shot is... ahem... powered up, you are invulnerable to enemy contact (but not to bullets!) and every enemy drops a lot of items when killed.

- You'll get most of your points from power up mode, so you should find the best places to use it and plan your route accordingly. An obvious one is the volcano stage, as you can milk the hell out of the rock-spitting craters.

From now on, things get a bit complicated:

- When your item counter is maxed out AND during power up mode, every item you pick up fills a secondary counter (you'll see it flashing near your character). This counter is a bonus that is added to your score every time you pick up an item. It maxes out at 10.000, and when it's maxed out orange crowns will start raining from every enemy you kill. This secondary counter quickly becomes worth much more points than the item itself, so when you are in power up mode you should let the crowns hit the ground and split into skulls, if it's possible. On the other hand, while you are charging your item counter you should pick up the items before they hit the ground, to get to 1000 as soon as possible.

- When you are in power up mode, your item counter will decrease from 1000 to 0. His speed depends on what you are doing: if you shoot it'll decrease faster and if you use lock shot or bombs it'll decrease MUCH faster, so be careful with your shot if you want power up mode to last longer.

- Recharge trick: basically, if you kill an enemy that drops A LOT of crowns a moment before going out of power up mode and pick them up when you are returned to normal mode, you will recharge your counter to 1000 (or close to 1000) instantly. Needless to say, this requires a very good timing. A good place to try it is the house at the end of the cemetery stage. You can also recharge using a bomb; it's easier but it'll waste a good part of your precious power up time. To bomb recharge, release a bomb when your counter is at about 400 and hold the lock shot button: the bomb will kill anything on the screen and you'll grab the crowns only after the end of power up mode.

Recharge + bomb recharge with Follet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbM8WVZdRuo

Hope this helps :D

conman

danmaku said:
Recharge trick: basically, if you kill an enemy that drops A LOT of crowns a moment before going out of power up mode and pick them up when you are returned to normal mode, you will recharge your counter to 1000 (or close to 1000) instantly. Needless to say, this requires a very good timing. A good place to try it is the house at the end of the cemetery stage. You can also recharge using a bomb; it's easier but it'll waste a good part of your precious power up time. To bomb recharge, release a bomb when your counter is at about 400 and hold the lock shot button: the bomb will kill anything on the screen and you'll grab the crowns only after the end of power up mode.
Cool. That's exactly what I was wondering. Makes sense, just didn't quite get the strategy. So basically: make sure you have enough items dropped while in power up mode so that when you pick them up after power up ends, you can get a huge boost to your item meter. And if you get good with timing the bomb, you can make it even easier on yourself. Got it. :D

JEKKI

whooo! finally got around to playing this!!

I dont really understand the whole level system >_<

and I chose to enter the gogre level... dood wtf suicide bullets all in my face!!!! I had to credit feed that bizzness to victory!!

so brutal X_X

Cmagus

Hunahan said:
Yeah. I mean, to me, it's pretty simple.

"That game looks like it's designed for a 10 year old" is fine.

"That game looks like it's designed for people who want to have sex with a 10 year old" isn't.

With the vast plethora of video games out there to play, it's hard to really explain why you're playing the one with cleavage-popping, ass-exposing children.

I know someone will claim cultural differences or something, but imo, it really doesn't change the facts of the matter that there is an undeniable pedophiliac undertone at play here. And that sucks no matter how you cut it. It's one of the few issues that I really just can't develop a sense of humor or dismissive attitude about.

There's really just no justification or excuse I would be willing to accept as to why we need this in our entertainment. It disappoints me that great companies like CAVE feel the need to either market to the lowest element of our society, or hire a staff that feels the need to expose their unhealthy and illegal urges consistently.

I have no idea which one of those actually inspires them to do it, but either one is gross, and serves to distance anyone with a reasonable, thoughtful perspective from their work.

I agree with you it is a little off putting to me.I got my copy today and its a fantastic game as a game but it's like it just kinda bothers me abit with these young kids and the tones in the game.CAVE makes great games and I think they could easily do without this stuff and its sad because CAVE doesn't have a huge presence here in terms of americanized games and putting this shit all over the packaging is going to turn people off which is a shame because I can only speak for myself but I want more CAVE games to come here but these ones need to sell.

I ordered mine online cause to be completely honest there was no way I was walking into a store to buy this off a shelf and Im not normally someone who cares about this stuff but with this game I don't know.Ah well I will still enjoy it as a game though.

Ricker

The EBGames where I pre-ordered this like 3 months ago,to make sure I find a copy of this up here,still didn`t get this in,it was suppose to be on the 30th...only thing they can check is in their damn computer,it says `available` according to the guy,so why haven`t they got it yet...next thing i`ll know it will fall unavailable or something and they won`t have a clue what happened...

I`ll go check elsewhere tomorrow if they still give me the runaround but did anyone see this at a Best Buy or Future Shop or Wal-Mart,just sitting in the shelves to buy?

conman

Ricker said:
did anyone see this at a Best Buy or Future Shop or Wal-Mart,just sitting in the shelves to buy?
The GS where I picked this up only got two copies initially and none of the dozen others around town had any. It's a strange box size and a strange price, so I'm sure not many places are stocking it on shelves. And judging by how high my scores are on the leaderboards, I'm figuring this isn't a big seller. :lol

Why not just order it online?

conman

dragonlife29 said:
I preordered and bought mine in-store without any shame.

Yeah, really.
Frankly, I feel more "shame" picking up a typical FPS with random beefcake marines on the front than I do about this. Generally speaking, boxart makes almost any game look like it's not intended for anyone over the age of 13.

At least Deathsmiles is honest about what it is.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Really? Death Smiles covers never said "I'm going to fly around and shoot giant cows" to me. I probably would have bought it if it did say that and I hadn't heard of it before though.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
InfiniteNine said:
I would have bought it in store and claimed it was the best game ever to everyone in there.
The dude who rung me up at GS had a copy for himself as well so he knew what was up. Regardless, I don't get embarrassed. Too old for that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
bob_arctor said:
The dude who rung me up at GS had a copy for himself as well so he knew what was up. Regardless, I don't get embarrassed. Too old for that.
The guys at the GS here know what's up also. Talked to them about EspGaluda II as well.

andymcc

Banned
I've been playing this a lot and enjoyed it much more than when I last played it in Japan in 2008. I love the scoring system.

the soundtrack is sooo good, too bad most people won't hear it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
andymcc said:
I've been playing this a lot and enjoyed it much more than when I last played it in Japan in 2008. I love the scoring system.

Why wouldn't they hear it?

Daigoro

andymcc said:

hrm?

my wife yelled down the other day "sounds like you're playing Castlevania down there". she heard it and she wasnt even playing.

the soundtrack is really fun.

conman

InfiniteNine said:
Why wouldn't they hear it?
Not sure if this is what the poster was referring to, but I thought the music was too low in the mix. One of the first settings I changed was to kick up the BGM.

Ryn

Just one credit cleared this with Rosa in arcade mode :D. Pretty good, first cave shooter I 1CC'd (though I hear this one's the easiest to clear). I was pretty surprised to see I was ranked 17 in the overall leaderboards. Then again I'm assuming the majority of people are playing over in 360 mode and MBL.

Cmagus said:
I ordered mine online cause to be completely honest there was no way I was walking into a store to buy this off a shelf and Im not normally someone who cares about this stuff but with this game I don't know.

:lol yeah, my boyfriend made me buy the game when we walked into Gamestop. Then he bought donkey konga bongos or whatever for the gamecube. :|

Drahcir

I caved in and bought the game. Bought it on Friday but haven't played it yet. Can't wait though. I haven't thoroughly played a horizontal shooter since Einhander, and I was obsessed with that game.

Ricker

conman said:
The GS where I picked this up only got two copies initially and none of the dozen others around town had any. It's a strange box size and a strange price, so I'm sure not many places are stocking it on shelves. And judging by how high my scores are on the leaderboards, I'm figuring this isn't a big seller. :lol

Why not just order it online?

I guess i`ll have to do that...they still don`t have it in and they still have no clue why it says available but they don`t have it...then he starts telling me that Sniper Warrior was stuck at customs,or whatever the shipments have to go through because it had the word SNIPER in the title...so basically,they probably won`t get it and it`s nowhere else to be seen walking in a store around here...

LiK

Drahcir said:
I caved in and bought the game. Bought it on Friday but haven't played it yet. Can't wait though. I haven't thoroughly played a horizontal shooter since Einhander, and I was obsessed with that game.
I see what you did there. Btw, fun game. You won't regret it :D

Drahcir said:
Congrats! I haven't played DS myself yet, but it's probably way better than Einhander.

LFG

Neophyte
well, after playing through it twice now, i can say it's a lot of fun :D the last stage is super chaotic compared to the earlier stages. love the face plate too!

Drahcir

LiK said:
I see what you did there. Btw, fun game. You won't regret it :D
:D

_dementia said:
Congrats! I haven't played DS myself yet, but it's probably way better than Einhander.

I hope so! Einhander had two things that hooked me, game design and music. It was the first game soundtrack I ever bought back in 1998 when I bought the game. Still have it! :D

Got the DeathSmiles LE so it came with the soundtrack. I hope it's as good as people say it is on this thread.

Varion

Shame they didn't include the actual OST with the game, just an arrange album.

The music was what got me interested in the game in the first place. Especially the final stage theme Hades Castle. Aw yeah.

LiK

Varion said:
Shame they didn't include the actual OST with the game, just an arrange album.

The music was what got me interested in the game in the first place. Especially the final stage theme Hades Castle. Aw yeah.
Yea, it's always arranged tracks with the included OSTs in Cave games. The Mushi Futari one is pretty fantastic.

I think Cave saves the regular OSTs to sell.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LiK said:
Yea, it's always arranged tracks with the included OSTs in Cave games. The Mushi Futari one is pretty fantastic.

I think Cave saves the regular OSTs to sell.
Love the EspGaluda II one bunches. Listen to it often. :)

Top Bottom