• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
These commentators are trash wtf. The lady, whoever she is, might aswell be reading a script (probably is).

Oh lol Kalisto and Sin Cara beat The Ascension. There goes the monster vibe I guess.

I still love that one of them (Victor? The smaller one) uses a STO.

Kalisto is pretty decent isnt he? He should be in 205 tbh.

Anth0ny

If the heel's a show-off they are (which KO isn't really, so I get your point), but still it'd be pretty boring if every heel wrestled like Nick Bockwinkel.

these days, I don't think there's any metric where a moonsault can be heelish. it's just too impressive visually. no one sees it and thinks "wow, what a show off. boooooo". they think "holy shit that was amazing".

fans pop for work rate.

Sephzilla

The idea that heels shouldn't do big or crowd popping moves is kind of stupid at its core. In terms of kayfabe, wrestlers are still competitors and should still want to win and do they best they can to win which should include big moves. Secondly, if the heel is an egomaniac type or a show off then doing crowd popping moves or flashy moves just to spite fans is kind of in their nature. For example; The People's Elbow started as a heel move by The Rock.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A debuting Baron Corbin just squashed CJ Parker in 10 seconds with a end of days... I guess CJ was on the way out.

Also CJ seemed to have x-pac heat with the crowd, they actually chanted "thank you Baron" lol.

Oh Tyson is doing his "fact" promo here :D

Nekofrog

Banned
I think at this point nxt is positioning itself to milk money out of the indie wrestling fans moreso than it is trying to be a development brand

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kevin Owens doing long restholds is a heel move that plays into his character.

the fact that he'll then follow it up with a moonsault is not only completely out of character, but it also contradicts the previous heelwork resthold.

Rhaknar

Who the FUCK is Sylvester LeFort o_O

Damn Enzo had the exact same speech he does these days even back then? :/

Sephzilla

Kevin Owens doing long restholds is a heel move that plays into his character.

the fact that he'll then follow it up with a moonsault is not only completely out of character, but it also contradicts the previous heelwork resthold.

This I'll agree with. But to a certain extent you kind of have to do something like that because if you do nothing but rest holds you're simply going to bore the fuck out of the crowd, regardless of if it makes sense. We call this the "Randy Orton syndrome"

imBask

Banned
they're adding a drop of edginess to a show already trying to please everyone

just pick a fucking direction and run with it ffs

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll be honest, he doesn't try hard enough. He comes off as a jokester more than a true heel.

He's scripted to be that way.

Both AJ and Owens are comedy heel champs for a reason - because its hard to be serious badass heel champ because that turns you into a face. Lesnar could pull it off because of who he is and I think Samoa Joe pulled it off pretty well, though.

Anth0ny

This I'll agree with. But to a certain extent you kind of have to do something like that because if you do nothing but rest holds you're simply going to bore the fuck out of the crowd, regardless of if it makes sense. We call this the "Randy Orton syndrome"

you know who works the best heel style in the company?

roman fucking reigns

Pikma

Banned
It's like most of you missed that segment were Haitch announced NXT would no longer be developmental-focused and would become another brand.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think at this point nxt is positioning itself to milk money out of the indie wrestling fans moreso than it is trying to be a development brand

In some senses its not actually true. The most recent reports we have suggest NXT still wasn't making any money and that was from before they were paying main roster money to Nakamura and were in their biggest boom period with lots of beloved characters and several people in the main event scene. There's no way they justify doing the promotion if its not intended to be a farm system to some extent.

NXT is still in a weird place where its not actually certain whether it "works" or not. The main roster is full of NXT graduates, but its not like any of them are legitimate superstars.

I really like NXT still though. It's basically what I want modern day WWE to be since it kind of blends the indie stuff with the WWE stuff and gets rid of a lot of the shitty Vince stuff that plagues the main roster.

Sephzilla

Before people say "NXT is no longer a developmental brand" I'd like to remind you that there's two levels of NXT; off-TV and on-TV. There's a sizable amount of talent that's still kept off TV because they're still improving their work.

Kaladin

Before people say "NXT is no longer a developmental brand" I'd like to remind you that there's two levels of NXT; off-TV and on-TV. There's a sizable amount of talent that's still kept off TV because they're still improving their work.

NXT TV is the final stage of WWE Developmental.

Rhaknar

Enzo vs LeFort (seriously, who?) was negative stars levels of dud, my god.

That's the problem they don't k ow what they want the PC to be. It's trying to be both a training ground and a super Indy.

If they want it to make money then let it make money. Other wise stop wasting people time and move them to raw and smackdown asap

Rhaknar

Guys, I like Tyler Breeze.

Why does he job so much :(

Angry Grimace

That's the problem they don't k ow what they want the PC to be. It's trying to be both a training ground and a super Indy.

If they want it to make money then let it make money. Other wise stop wasting people time and move them to raw and smackdown asap

It got a little weird once they started bringing in established guys in their mid-30s and having them basically squash everyone other than other established mid-30s guys.

MG310

Enzo vs LeFort (seriously, who?) was negative stars levels of dud, my god.

I liked him as the rich scumbag manager. It pretty much turned into a running gag that he would keep losing his clients. He managed Pre-Revival Scott Dawson and another developmental wrestler who got released. Then he managed Dawson solo but he was injured. Then he managed Rusev who was left him for Lana a short time later.

Rhaknar

Lol a promo for Kenta with fucking Hulk Hogan hyping him up. Oh and Regal actually introduces him as Kenta too, not Itami.

Shame for the injuries :(

Angry Grimace

Lol a promo for Kenta with fucking Hulk Hogan hyping him up. Oh and Regal actually introduces him as Kenta too, not Itami.

Shame for the injuries :(

They used to do that - introduce an indie wrestler by their indie name and then just randomly change it. They did that with Asuka. She came into NXT as "Kana" and Regal just said "now you will known as Asuka" and they never called her Kana again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is pretty much the perfect stable size now.
tumblr_ohzc82DVYc1s0zdtdo1_1280.jpg

Big enough to be a threat but feels 'elite'. Has goofballs(BUSHI and EVIL) but they're serious enough goofballs that they can eat a pin. They benefit from the stable in that way. Their leader is the most popular wrestler in NJPW, their 'co-leader' is the most popular wrestler in Mexico(outside of some old farts), Sanada is the heavy that has a potentially huge future, and Himoru has everything to be the GOAT of junior heavyweights of this decade. And his style fits perfectly with the stable. And Rush isn't always going to be around but its good to know that he can be. I'd only accept one more member into the stable.
tumblr_o5szx9HqLO1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Come home Sombra

The Lapsed Fan on No Way Out 2002(?) with the Katie Vick story goes into everything I hate about Taker & Kane in terms of kayfabe. They've humanized those characters so much that it's impossible to think of them as over powering or demonic or whatnot.

Rhaknar

They used to do that - introduce an indie wrestler by their indie name and then just randomly change it. They did that with Asuka. She came into NXT as "Kana" and Regal just said "now you will known as Asuka" and they never called her Kana again.

Yeah he just cut a promo saying he's now hideo itami...alrighty then. And now the ascension are here and I remember this lead to finn balor debut so I guess this is pretty close to when I started watching.

Rhaknar

Bull...Dempsey? And oh god its Mojo.

This Takeover is bad :/

Sephzilla

I believe they did something similar with Balor too, his initial titan tron video opened with "Prince Devitt" before turning into "Finn Balor" when he debuted. Honestly, if you're going to acknowledge their indie/Japan name on TV then just stick with their original name.

The Lapsed Fan on No Way Out 2002(?) with the Katie Vick story goes into everything I hate about Taker & Kane in terms of kayfabe. They've humanized those characters so much that it's impossible to think of them as over powering or demonic or whatnot.
Baby mama problems and shit. I feel like that was one of Russo's last storylines before they let him go and Vince saved it for a rainy day.

Baby mama problems and shit. I feel like that was one of Russo's last storylines before they let him go and Vince saved it for a rainy day.

That whole bullshit aside, I really wish taker and Kane would just retire or go away. It's really friggin hard at this point to believe any of the crap with them.

Rhaknar

Bayley's entrance is still one if the best ive seen in ages. Well at least it was when it was fresh :/

Bayley v Charlotte, pls save this wreck of a show.

Well, well, well....

Oh, Dave. That thirst to be first with the breaking news.

Not about Dave

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/808374069867352065

Someone suggests below it could be everyone's favourite bottom feeder Satin, who suggests he's going back with the Kassius Ohno name. Which does sound moronic to me since Kevin Steen is using a name that has the initials KO now, and wwf is in one of their phases where they let people retain their names right now.

Mahonay

Banned
Any of you marks been playing Let It Die? This night be one of the best F2P games I've played. But I also have a soft spot for Grasshopper games.

It's Monday so it's time for that hot VERBIAGE

One week after Sasha Banks dedicated her third Raw Women’s Championship victory over Charlotte Flair to Ric Flair — The Queen’s father — the bitter former titleholder used a faux “public apology” to humiliate her dad, leading to a brawl that left The Boss battered in the middle of the ring.

The incident came just moments after we learned that Sasha will defend her title against Charlotte in a 30-Minute WWE Iron Man Match at Roadblock: End of the Line, a bout that will serve as the decisive and perhaps final battle of one of The New Era’s most personal rivalries.

After being laid out by The Queen Monday night, will The Boss retaliate this week, live in Philadelphia

Showing utter disregard for his own wellbeing, Sami Zayn continues to defy Raw General Manager Mick Foley in pursuit of a match against the imposing Braun Strowman. However, thus far he’s been unsuccessful in convincing The Hardcore Legend that’s he is up to the task — especially given his recent encounters with The Monster Among Men.

After suffering defeat at the hands of longtime foe and reigning WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens last Monday night, The Underdog from the Underground is undoubtedly more determined than ever to get what he wants, despite the risks it presents. Will we soon see Zayn go up against The Abominable Strowman as he has previously demanded? Is Zayn’s desire courageous or, as Foley has suggested, foolish?

The saga between Chris Jericho and WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens has taken some strange turns as of late, but after The Prizefighter inadvertently cost the curator of “The List” a potential United States Championship win against Roman Reigns, it’s hard to believe that reconciliation is in the cards.

Six days before... Owens defends his title against The Big Dog at Roadblock: End of the Line, and as Jericho goes into battle against Seth Rollins at that event on Sunday, Dec. 18, will “The Kevin Owens Show” bring us a cast reunion, or is Jeri-KO finished?

Top Bottom