• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Backlash 2007 is one of the least talked about PPVs WWE has ever done but it was the years best by far.

I know people have this aversion to multi-man matches, but the Edge/Cena/Orton/HBK fatal 4-way for the title is great. It's a really fun match.

orioto

Good Art™
Booking question guys. In that period where WWE has no clue how to make somoene a face or a heel.. or we have no clue what they want to achieve..

Wasn't Zayn being pissed and saying he's 1000 worth Eva Maries (which could be seen as somewhat sexist) a heel turn ?

Now about JeriKO. Obviously, the logical thing to do, now that they actually achieved killing Owens pop after weeks trying, would be to have Jericho, who's over as hell, to turn face (if he's not already half of the time), then Owens going full HBK heel on him (being jealous of his popularity).

But, of course, it's been 3 weeks now that Jericho stopped doing anything over, and act like a boring and bitter guy, while KO try to still be his friend. Also KO has been doing faces things in the ring. Last week against Zayn he dived in a pretty impressive manner. When he usually teases it then doesn't to piss fans. He also did a flippyflop jump in this match, then he was betrayed and victimized.

Is this them doing, as usual, the non-logical booking, or is this them, as usual, having no clue what they do. Or is this setting up a mega heel turn from Owens by making him sad before he goes banana.

fhqwhgads

Fun experiment: watch Bayley's entrance and win last night, then watch her entrance and win when she came out as Sasha's partner

Holy fucking lol, that's gotta be a record for crowd disinterest. From the most cheered anything all year to crickets in just a few months
Not really a fair comparison, one is a match that actually mattered and featured Sasha whilst the other match is a throw away centred around a petty rivalry. Hard to get the crowd pumped for a filler match.

TraBuch

Banned
So constantly hearing "World of Sport" mentioned whenever Gallagher is brought up, I decided to actually look some of this World of Sport stuff up and I've gotta say, this Leon Arras/Les Kellett match is pretty great. Genuinely funny stuff.

https://youtu.be/r_zPH3u65H8

Foggy

Stardom is very easy to follow since their twitter updates with all their uploads and they sub all the promos. Although the subbing was really only welcome when Io turned heel. The pre match promos are usually pretty bland. Shows can be hit or miss but it has gotten better as the year goes on. Not a big fan of their daily uploads since I would much rather just get an entire event at once.

That said, it's like $6 so it's great value. But since the talent is diluded in Japan, I would sub to Stardom and check the Real Hero Archive sporadically for Sendai and Oz Academy uploads.

Recall

So Jericho costs Owens the belt at Roadblock.

Jericho and KO fight in the rumble, KO eliminates Jericho but as KO reaches the final four Jericho runs down and distracts KO who then gets eliminated.

Singles match at Feb PPV ends in a no contest due to ref getting powerbombed from an angry Owens after a Jericho low blow or some other shenanigan, which the ref missed.

Mania match is a last man standing/street fight/whatever gimmick that Owens wins.

no idea what to do next, if anything.

The raws between if all there needs to be backstage brawls or that classic stip that they can't touch each other til the PPV...

Man that is a tasty tasty lineup. Loving the new art direction for the posters as well. Hope they bring it over into video production.

You think they'll bother starting any other storylines when ZSJ/Marty is done? My one gripe with RPW; great lineups, zero context beyond "oh that might be good!".

maybe? They started something with Mastiff and Seven, I would guess now they're monthly, the Cockpit shows will be the "story" shows even more than previously, but that's never really been what Rev Pro have cared about.

orioto

Good Art™

Jericho and KO fight in the rumble, KO eliminates Jericho but as KO reaches the final four Jericho runs down and distracts KO who then gets eliminated.

Singles match at Feb PPV ends in a no contest due to ref getting powerbombed from an angry Owens after a Jericho low blow or some other shenanigan, which the ref missed.

Mania match is a last man standing/street fight/whatever gimmick that Owens wins.

So Jericho is the heel ?

WWE should really be more straight forward and do the things that work organically i think.. Their product needs it so much.

_Owens is the not good for business indy darling who surprisingly wins the belt and get "you deserve it" chants >> Make him chased by the authority with Vince not wanting a faty representing the company

_Jericho is awesome, as the veteran everyone loves with great catch phrases. he's mega over in his team with KO and overshine him >> Have KO being demonic and suddenly betray him at the worst moment in a violent fashion.

I mean fuck, wrestling is not that complicated. Make things that flows naturally..

I wish Stardom had Chromecast even, some sort of TV option.

I'll quote the watching guide from last month, but yeah, personally I'd reccomend PROGRESS, Rev Pro, NJPW World and/or Highspots network as possible jumping on points depending on your taste.
As suggested by shaowebb last month, we've also got a list of details for non WWE promotions you may want to check out, and how to watch them. Hopefully this makes it into all the OP's, and is a work in progress people can add to.

SUMrw9a.png

LjbGVxe.png

New Japan - The top Japanese promotion. On Demand streaming service with all major events streamed live, some with English commentary.
http://njpwworld.com - 999¥/month

EVOLVE - Arguably the top US indy currently. Close relationship with WWE, a lot of their cruiserweight crop have come through. New On Demand service run by FloSports, gives you access to the WWN family of events, with a large on demand library dating back to 2003 and live streamed events from EVOLVE, FIP, ACW, and all women promotion SHINE.
http://www.floslam.tv/events - $20/month or $150/year

PWG - Arguably the top US indy currently. Less of a traditional promotion, PWG is a hangout for wrestlers across the indies to go all out and have fun. Shows can be exhausting, and the delay from show to release is maddening. Worth it.
http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/ - $15/DVD $20/Blu-Ray On Demand/Never

PROGRESS - The top of the bustling UK indy scene (I'm biased.) More of a storyline focus than a lot of indies, with great matches and a hot crowd. You're missing out. Get on it.
https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/ - $7.49/month

Rev Pro - Pairs the top level British talent with the top indy stars from the US, and through a partnership with New Japan, the top Japanese stars.
https://rpwondemand.pivotshare.com/ - $8.49/month

ROH - Ring of Honor was historically the #2 or 3 promotion in the US, but the lustre has gone as of late. Bull Dempsey main eventing in 2016 is all you need to know. There are a lot of talented guys there however, as well as a New Japan partnership. Their back catalog still holds up.
Past Events @ http://rohwrestling.com/membership - $7.99/month Weekly TV every Thursday @ http://rohwrestling.com/tv/current/Free Current PPV's $15-35/show

Lucha Underground - A TV show about a Wrestling show. Great matches with Lucha stars, combined with TV style drama and stories.
El Rey Network, SlingTV or US iTunes - $40/26 episode season

Stardom - The top Joshi all women's promotion in Japan currently. On Demand streaming service with English subtitled content.
http://www.stardom-world.com/ - 750¥/month

Highspots Wrestling Network - back catalog PWG, current AAW and wXw On Demand, along side shoots, some CZW, a fucking ocean of content.
https://www.highspotswrestlingnetwork.com/ - $9.99/month

DDT - Batshit insane home of patron saint of Flipvember, and wonderful human, Kota Ibushi. On Demand service launching in January, includes new shows from DDT, BASARA, Tokyo Joshi Pro and Ganbare Pro-Wrestling, as well as DDT special events (outdoor shows) and archives. You all need Kota Ibushi wrestling Sami Zayn in a campsite in your lives.
http://ddtuniverse.com/ - 900¥/month

SHIMMER - Top US women's promotion. Has hosted the likes of Beth Phoenix, Becky Lynch, Paige, Asuka, Natalya, Mickie James, Ember Moon, Blue Pants, Nikki Cross and more. No On Demand, which is frustrating, as is their release schedule. They're currently about a year and a half behind.
https://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.co.uk/p/dvds.html - $15/DVD

Dragon Gate - Japanese promotion focused around speed and factions. The process for watching their live events is complicated, and documented below.
http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/how-watch-order-dragon-gate-live-demand-ippvs-204481 - 1500-2700¥/event

AAA - Lucha promotion, many of it's stars are featured in Lucha Underground.
Clips and shows posted to https://www.youtube.com/user/luchalibreaaatv

CMLL - World's oldest promotion, lucha libre.
"http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo02 I think on fridays, and streams on youtube too for the Monday and Tuesday shows: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3lOpKjW4_j4PGXWLNTt4iQ"

ICW - Staunchly adult focused wrestling from Scotland. The attitude era worship is evident, and may not be for everyone. That said, a lot of great UK talent, and weekly TV show content as well as live events. They're about to run the same venue WWE is taping TV in, and for an indy, that merits attention.
https://icwondemand.pivotshare.com/ - $6.99/month

Others: AAW, AIW, CHIKARA, Fight Club Pro, ATTACK!, WCPW, CZW, WXW, AJPW, NOAH, Freelance, IPW:UK, Pro Wrestling EVE, OTT, SMASH

Recall

So Jericho is the heel ?

WWE should really be more straight forward and do the things that work organically i think.. Their product needs it so much.

_Owens is the not good for business indy darling who surprisingly wins the belt and get "you deserve it" chants >> Make him chased by the authority with Vince not wanting a faty representing the company

_Jericho is awesome, as the veteran everyone loves with great catch phrases. he's mega over in his team with KO and overshine him >> Have KO being demonic and suddenly betray him at the worst moment in a violent fashion.

I mean fuck, wrestling is not that complicated. Make things that flows naturally..

Jericho is a veteran that everyone loves?

You're confusing smart fan thinking and what they've actually presented on the TV

Kaladin

I thought Raw was decent last night. The whole show was connected by the New Day / KO / Jericho angle and that brought it up for me. I loved Gallagher announcing his intention to interfere. The Braun Strowman angle is really putting him over as a beast, though it makes Foley out as someone who cares about Sami Zayn but eh, fuck these other guys, Strowman can destroy them.

My prediction of Zayn winning the Rumble is coming closer to fruition if he gets traded to Smackdown. I think he wins the Rumble with a big elimination of Strowman to prove Mick wrong, and then at Elimination Chamber (which is a Raw PPV) Raw will decide their #1 contender.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there is less than 0% chance of Sami Zayn winning the royal rumble

Kaladin

there is less than 0% chance of Sami Zayn winning the royal rumble

It's more likely that he's traded to Smackdown, crosses paths with Strowman in the Rumble who eliminates and destroys Zane who finally gets his one on one match with Strowman at Wrestlemania.

I can dream though.

orioto

Good Art™
Jericho is a veteran that everyone loves?

You're confusing smart fan thinking and what they've actually presented on the TV

He has been insanely over. That's what i'm saying actually. They try to present things and tell stories that are the reverse of what actually happens, all the time.

That's precisely why everything is tepid. They are constantly swimming against the water flow, so they swim badly.

Recall

He has been insanely over. That's what i'm saying actually. They try to present things and tell stories that are the reverse of what actually happens, all the time.

That's precisely why everything is tepid. They are constantly swimming against the water flow, so they swim badly.

Yes that is what they have been doing since 2002.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The raws between if all there needs to be backstage brawls or that classic stip that they can't touch each other til the PPV...
Jericho is going to help Owens, not his opponent. There's a reason why Owens hasn't made the List nor have they actually had a serious physical confrontation. Because the actual breakup hasn't happened and when it does will be from Owens betraying Jericho, not the other way around.

Probably self indulgent post ahead, so feel free to skip

2016 has been a great year for the graps. In the first week or so of January 2015, I realised that I’d accidentally booked myself at least one show a month up to April. While I’d been to one Rev Pro show in 2013, 2014 was the year the British scene really dug it’s hooks into me when I started going to PROGRESS in July. With that in mind, I resolved to try and make at least one show a month for the rest of the year. Not only did I manage it in 2015, with PROGRESS going monthly, I made it easily in 2016.

Jan 03rd - PROGRESS ENDVR 14 - The Garage
Jan 16th - RevPro High Stakes - York Hall
Jan 24th - PROGRESS Chapter 25: Chat Shit Get Banged - Electric Ballroom
Feb 07th - RevPro @ Cockpit - The Cockpit
Mar 13th - PROGRESS ENDVR 15 - The Garage
Mar 20th - EVE: Let's Make History - Cre8
Mar 27th - PROGRESS Chapter 27: Lost Art of Suffering - Electric Ballroom
Apr 24th - PROGRESS Chapter 29: Practically Progress - Electric Ballroom
May 01st - RevPro @ Cockpit - The Cockpit
May 15th - PROGRESS ENDVR 16 - The Garage
May 29th - PROGRESS Chapter 30: Super Strong Style 16 '16 - Electric Ballroom
May 30th - PROGRESS Chapter 30: Super Strong Style 16 '16 - Electric Ballroom
Jun 12th - RevPro Angle vs Sabre - York Hall
Jun 26th - PROGRESS Chapter 32: 5000 to 1 - Electric Ballroom
Jul 10th - RevPro Summer Sizzler - York Hall
Aug 09th - PROGRESS ENDVR 11 - Bedford
Aug 12th - RevPro Vader vs Ospreay - York Hall
Aug 28th - PROGRESS Chapter 35: Writing Nirvana - Electric Ballroom
Sep 25th - PROGRESS Chapter 36: Need A Bigger Room - Brixton Academy
Oct 30th - PROGRESS Chapter 38: When Men Throw Men At Men - Electric Ballroom
Nov 10th - RevPro/NJPW Global Wars - York Hall
Nov 15th - PROGRESS ENDVR 18 - Bedford
Nov 26th - EVE: Never Mind The Bollocks - Resistance Gallery
Nov 27th - PROGRESS Chapter 39: The Graps Of Wrath - Electric Ballroom
Dec 30th - PROGRESS Chapter 41: Unboxing Live! - Electric Ballroom

I need a 2017 goal! All of 2016 was in London, but I've already got branching out scheduled in my January 2017...:

Jan 15th - PROGRESS Chapter 42: Life, The Universe & Wrestling - Birmingham O2
Jan 21st - RevPro High Stakes - York Hall
Jan 28th - SummerSluts + Working a Resthold Live Podcast & wXw - Tufnell Dome
Jan 29th - PROGRESS Chapter 43: Tropic Thunderbastard - Electric Ballroom

Discuss your personal 2016 in Graps GAF

orioto

Good Art™
Jericho is going to help Owens, not his opponent. There's a reason why Owens hasn't made the List nor have they actually had a serious physical confrontation. Because the actual breakup hasn't happened and when it does will be from Owens betraying Jericho, not the other way around.

That makes more sense indeed. It's all a swerve for Sunday.

Also about Owens i think, if they have a minium sense and they don't want the worst reaction possible for the main event (which won't be the main event i guess..) they should avoid Owens being too heated right now. Cause they'll have dueling boos in the match ..

Kaladin

Oh god.....it's not over.

Former WWE champion turned UFC fighter CM Punk is back training for a sophomore appearance in The Ultimate Fighting Champonship.

Punk's trainer Duke Roufus acknowledged that Punk was back training during an appearance on the "MMA Hour" with Ariel Helwani yesterday.

Punk had previously disclosed that he and UFC's Dana White had a conversation where Punk made it clear he intended to keep pursuing MMA after his loss to Mickey Gall this past September at UFC 203.

Sephzilla

My biggest worry is that Punk is going to get in the octagon with someone who borders on reckless, and Punk will get seriously hurt as a result. Because, lets be honest, Punk's last UFC fight showed us that he has zero potential as an MMA fighter.

Kaladin

So Wrestlemania 33 is shaping up to be:

Balor vs ???? (Reigns?) (Raw Title)

AJ Styles vs ??? (Smackdown Title)

Undertaker vs Cena

Lesnar vs Goldberg

Triple H vs Seth Rollins

Jericho vs Owens

Zayn vs Strowman

Ladder Match with The Miz IC Title

Rusev vs Big Cass w/ Enzo

Raw Tag

Smackdown Tag

Pre-show:

Cruiserweight Belt

Zach

Network? Well, maybe in a few years when Vince has killed the wider world of wrestling for good. Until then, DVDs
and torrents

That sounds like a lot of work. Especially for a man who likes to take chronological journeys from the comfort of his couch. But thanks anyway, British Monsoon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So Wrestlemania 33 is shaping up to be:

Balor vs ???? (Reigns?) (Raw Title)

AJ Styles vs ??? (Smackdown Title)

Undertaker vs Cena

Lesnar vs Goldberg

Triple H vs Seth Rollins

Jericho vs Owens

Zayn vs Strowman

Ladder Match with The Miz IC Title

Rusev vs Big Cass w/ Enzo

Raw Tag

Smackdown Tag

Pre-show:

Cruiserweight Belt

you are so cute thinking AJ will be champion during Wrestlemania season :)

oh wait youre the dude that predicts Sami to win the rumble...dude, what fantasy world do yu live in, and can I move there? it sounds nice :(

2017 goals, I wanna see ATTACK!, Fight Club: PRO and OTT in person, all 3 look like a right laugh.

That sounds like a lot of work. Especially for a man who likes to take chronological journeys from the comfort of his couch. But thanks anyway, British Monsoon.

No problem, Zach. Glad I could be of help, mate. Take it easy, friend.

Kaladin

you are so cute thinking AJ will be champion during Wrestlemania season :)

oh wait youre the dude that predicts Sami to win the rumble...dude, what fantasy world do yu live in, and can I move there? it sounds nice :(

Well, in this card, I have Balor winning the Rumble to face whoever the Raw champion is out of EC.

I have no clue who could take the belt from AJ going into Mania season, I see him holding it and probably facing Dean or someone predictable.

Top Bottom