• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

shaowebb

And now for your moment of Botch.
KIDxx91.gif

And that concludes your moment of Botch.

What gets lost in the story of Austin quitting is that he was currently in a garbage midcard feud with Ric Flair and... The Big Show. Being asked to job to Brock was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sephzilla

Austin wanted to put Brock over but he wanted to do it at a PPV where there could be big money and it would legitimize Brock more. Austin thought jobbing to Brock on a random PPV was a bad business decision, and honestly he was right. Austin jobbing to Brock on a random free show was a WCW tier mistake.

Fox318

"I refuse to give legitimity to this new superstar with lots of potential because it'll prevent me from selling shitty IPAs later on"

Brock was already doing well without the Austin job.

Remember they were even trying to get Lenox Lewis to fight Brock in a shoot on PPV.

Vince had no plan after X8 other than trying to make his fake son the champ.

Except a fucking balding orange wrestler and the rock made HHH's main event singles mania match more forgetable than HHH's title reign.

Then fucking everything around him started to fall apart and they started to get desperate in booking and storyline.

all the most successful workers of all time protected their spot by refusing to job, beef. it runs deep in carny philosophy.

Vader: "I refuse to job to Osprey"

Osprey: "I'm a huge jabroni and will absolutely job to an old fart"

see? these new kids are stupid idiots

The Rock was more than willing to do the job, and he's the most successful wrestler in history. Literally the best there is, was, and ever will be.

Barrage

To be clear, when I say Austin was playing politics I don't just mean Lesnar. Other people he supposedly refused to job to (and i'll also put my opinion on if I agree with him or not):

-The Rock (97)-[Austin was wrong on this one. He majorly damaged the credibility of the IC title, as fun as the feud was]
-Jeff Jarrett(98)-[Sure]
-Billy Gunn(99)-[Agreed, Gunn wasn't a star]
-HHH(99)-[I'm mixed on this one,HHH's first reign was shit,proving Austin's point that he wasn't ready, but it takes a major superstar elevating a guy to make him a star, as Foley did in 2000]
-Hogan/Scott Hall (2002)-[Agree with Austin, they didn't need the rub and weren't setting the world on fire. Hogan/Austin woulda been big money if they could've set aside their egos tho]

THere's also less substantiated rumours Austin didn't want to job to Kane in 98, if true he was dead wrong, that KOTR/Next night program was thrilling television and Kane fed off that one world title run's legitimacy for years and years.

To be clear, when I say Austin was playing politics I don't just mean Lesnar. Other people he supposedly refused to job to (and i'll also put my opinion on if I agree with him or not):

-The Rock (97)-[Austin was wrong on this one. He majorly damaged the credibility of the IC title, as fun as the feud was]
-Jeff Jarrett(98)-[Sure]
-HHH(99)-[I'm mixed on this one,HHH's first reign was shit,proving Austin's point that he wasn't ready, but it takes a major superstar elevating a guy to make him a star, as Foley did in 2000]
-Hogan/Scott Hall (2002)-[Agree with Austin, they didn't need the rub and weren't setting the world on fire. Hogan/Austin woulda been big money if they could've set aside their egos tho]

THere's also less substantiated rumours Austin didn't want to job to Kane in 98, if true he was dead wrong, that KOTR/Next night program was thrilling television and Kane fed off that one world title run's legitimacy for years and years.
Agree 100% with your take.

If memory serves, that Brock/Austin match was supposed to be a KOTR qualifying match. Like... why is a superstar the caliber of Austin even going for king of the ring?

Fox318

Austin jobbing to the Rock would have required him to bump around like a madman and he was still fucked up from Owen.

Plus Austin was more than willing to job to HHH in 2001 and HHH fucking made sure he would never get that win back after Austin turned heel.

The ego trip only happened because Austin needed a win as a heel and HHH sure as shit didn't want to job now that he had Steph and Vince's ear.

imBask

Banned
if HHH had refused to lose a match against Bryan on RAW (which he might have), you guys would be shitting on him harder than Alvarez with explosive diarrhrea

oh but for Austin it's ok, because he's Austin!

Double standard is a must in Wrestling

Fox318

The Rock isn't trying to host a podcast where he can hock CougarLife.com, friend. He's busy banging models in his Hollywood trailer.

EDIT: Why is the link auto-showing?

Rock is too busy shooting 5000 movies, eating 15 meals a day, and working out 6 hours a day to have time to fuck.

Sephzilla

if HHH had refused to lose a match against Bryan on RAW (which he might have), you guys would be shitting on him harder than Alvarez with explosive diarrhrea

If HHH refused to job to Bryan because he'd rather put Bryan over at WrestleMania I'd be 100% okay with it.

Fox318

Except HHH did refuse to lose to Batista on raw. He told vince fuck trying to pop a rating or some shit and made it a fucking money drawing angle and got Batista over big time at Mania 21.

There are times when jobbing is the right move for a performer. Hogan's best runs and most money making years were after losses.

Zach

-Jeff Jarrett(98)-[Sure]

Austin was right in every instance. Bye, Mirage.

Nekofrog

Banned
Friends, when I'm down on wrestling and not a lot of things look bright, the loss of wcw hurts even more. The spectacle of presenting a fake sport as legitimate went a long way for me

Then I feel like a hypocrite when I feel that broken matt is the best and brightest thing happening now but I can't help how I feel

Zach

Friends, when I'm down on wrestling and not a lot of things look bright, the loss of wcw hurts even more. The spectacle of presenting a fake sport as legitimate went a long way for me

Then I feel like a hypocrite when I feel that broken matt is the best and brightest thing happening now but I can't help how I feel

You're a complex man, Nekofrog.

My first time watching wrestling was the episode of Raw after the 2012 Diva Summer Beach Battle Royal thing, where this image came from and started circulating:

qVZZL.gif

That was enough to get me to start watching, especially with my son who was 10 at the time and getting interested in WWE from hearing about it at school.

And the rest was history.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TOKYO SPORTS AWARDS
MVP - Naito
Best Match: Okada vs Marufuji(7/18, Sapporo)
Best Tag team - Strong BJ(Daisuke Sekimoto % Yuji Okabayashi
Outstanding Performance - Kento Miyahara
Fighting Spiriti - Katsuhiko Nakajima
Technique Award - Kenny Omega
Rookie of the Year - Chihiro Hashimoto
Joshi MVP - Io Shirai
Special Recognition - Hayabusa

not terrible. chihiro is a great call too.

hayabusa :((((((

Sephzilla

"Spit out 6000 water bottles, never drew a dime"

Really though, they're both mediocre wrestlers who love to cosplay as Ric Flair and think they're way more important to the business than they actually are. The only differences are that HHH actually had some talent and was smart enough to surround himself with the appropriate people to succeed. And married the bosses daughter.

Really though, they're both mediocre wrestlers who love to cosplay as Ric Flair and think they're way more important to the business than they actually are. The only differences are that HHH actually had some talent and was smart enough to surround himself with the appropriate people to succeed. And married the bosses daughter.

I can see this. I think HHH also had more going for him with the connection to Killer Kowalski, but really both were boring as f when they first hit WWE.

do Hunter and Steph have any kids?

I think 2, maybe 3?

Zach

I've said numerous times that Triple H, Jeff Jarrett, and Shane Douglas are all on the same tier for me. But 2000 made me a believer in Triple H... being slightly better than Jeff Jarrett.

Jury's still out on The Franchiiise -- ha ha.

-Jeff Jarrett(98)-[Sure]

Chyna had more heat at that time than hunter. So sad ha!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
3 daughters.

For what's it worth, Shane has 3 sons.

Shoot: the correct answer to "what it's worth" is "nothing." That shit where Shane tried to act superior for siring male heirs was dumb. This shit isn't Game of Thrones.

Top Bottom