• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Zach

HHH was good in 2000

and okay in 1999

that's it

every other year he was the drizzling shits

He was okay in 2000. I think lost in the 2000 Triple H narrative -- there's that word again -- is that he was put in every match imaginable to get him over. Like, everything is a specialty match with a great opponent and it's given 20+ minutes.

I mean, you can call it rightly booking a guy to be strong, but it was overkill. He was given more than anyone before or after, I imagine. But watching it soberly in 2016, it's all downhill from Royal Rumble 2000. Which, I might add, was more Mick Foley being great than Triple H being good.

Sephzilla

Anyone who thinks Sting had a worse career run than HHH has forgotten how fucking awful HHH's pre-DX runs were. HHH also had some pretty bad post-DX runs too

Remember that time when sting job to hhh for some dumb reason?

HHH knows he was never half the man Sting and Goldberg were, Vince knows he wasn't even a recognizable fraction compared to the two. So the moment both were signed, the plan to job the WCW guy to the WWE guy was already in action.

Their egos wouldn't let it stop with "our company survived, yours didn't". They didn't want one last victory, they wanted multiple.

ReWatched the bash at the beach 2000 debocle last night the whole card was just so bad and the annoucers are worse then good ol dave on smackdown

imBask

Banned
I liked surfer Sting, crow sting was stupid as hell. It was the bad kind of edgy... DX were edgy but it worked better for me

Sephzilla

Watching old PPVs and Howard Finkel is the greatest ring announcer of all time. What a voice

Finkel is fantastic.

Side note: Bruce Buffer in UFC is pretty great too

Noting that hhever has done is as ban as Sting role at starcade 97.

tumblr_inline_ni1qtxagAW1r5344l.png

korly

Total Nonstop Deletion was OK. Felt overly long. And I could live without ever seeing ODB again. Why did I think The Young Bucks were supposed to be in that Apocalypto match?

Heroman

Banned
Finkel is fantastic.

Side note: Bruce Buffer in UFC is pretty great too

tumblr_inline_ni1qtxagAW1r5344l.png
That's bad but Starcade 97 was the biggest ppv in WCW history and could have made sting a superstar and unlike Booker Sting had the power to change the finish. Starcade 97 killed Sting.

Recall

Kevin Dunn, Vince Russo, Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon and Hulk Hogan.

I think I'll be dead before it happens but I'll be happy once they retire fully from the world of fake athletics.

Fox318

That's bad but Starcade 97 was the biggest ppv in WCW history and could have made sting a superstar and unlike Booker Sting had the power to change the finish. Starcade 97 killed Sting.

Booker T could have been a legit main event star that could have main evented wrestlemanias down the line.

Instead this happens because HHH wants to work with Kevin Nash.

The documentary on this wrestlemania just happens to exclude one match.

Guess what match it was?

Heroman

Banned
Booker T could have been a legit main event star that could have main evented wrestlemanias down the line.

Instead this happens because HHH wants to work with Kevin Nash.

The documentary on this wrestlemania just happens to exclude one match.

Guess what match it was?
There had never been a greater fall from grace in pro wrestling history than Stings fall in Starcade 97.

WINNER!

That was one of the worst things the WWE has ever done... let's do a racist feud where the racist wins and let's have the match be the racist kicks out of all Booker's finishers and wins with a single Pedigree with a 10-30 seconds lying on the mat exhausted spot before the pin....

W12759.jpg

I mean, I guess that's probably safe enough to not sufficiently anger DC/Warner Bros., but who knows?

Definitely not #safe, though.
Well, if someone squints enough they can just assume it's a Harley Quinn shirt.

Not as bad as WWE expecting men to buy a shirt that says 'I'm not like most girls'.

Zach

Wait you're blaming Sting for Hogan/Nick Patrick/Bischoff?

Sting played his part. If there was one time he shouldn't have been the nice guy team player, Starrcade '97 was it. Dude should've put his foot down and been like "uh, I'm squashing this guy or you don't have a match."

But it became clear that he was just a guy who wanted to collect a paycheck, and the fans suffered for it.

Sting played his part. If there was one time he shouldn't have been the nice guy team player, Starrcade '97 was it. Dude should've put his foot down and been like "uh, I'm squashing this guy or you don't have a match."

But it became clear that he was just a guy who wanted to collect a paycheck, and the fans suffered for it.

The finish with the proper fast count isn't the worst thing ever.

It's the lack of fast count that ruined the whole thing.

Though clean is obviously preferable.

Top Bottom