• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Caderfix

SHOOT: Return of the Jedi is secretly the best Star Wars movie

Aside from the prequels, I think return of the Jedi is the worst... To be honest, the only Star Wars movie that I consider really good is The Empire Strikes Back.

1 - Empire Strikes Back
2 - New Hope
3 - The Force Awakens
4 - Return of the Jedi
5 - Revenge of the Sith
6 - Attack of the Clones
7 - Phantom Menace

I can understand liking Episode 3 more, hell, even a lot more than 1 and 2. Unlike those, it actually gets to the narrative arc that people wanted to see in a prequel in the first damn place. It's just that... they completely botch it with one of the most poorly executed heel turns in cinematic history. There's ONE thing Lucas had to get right, and he fucked it up.

Rogue One is the prequel we deserved.

Return of the Jedi also has the GOAT face turn

tumblr_n85esaJOKx1rlheeoo1_500.gif

Even to this day I quietly cheer at this part
No lies detected.

Would we call Lando a Seth? Face/heel/face?

Sephzilla

Ironically, A New Hope is the OT movie that I think is the overrated one - mostly because I think it's the one that most people view with the thickest of nostalgia goggles. I still really love the movie, but man, it has some issues and it's been well documented that A New Hope was saved in editing. The pace of that movie comes to a fucking crawl when we get to Tattooine and the acting is fucking rough in that movie at times too.

Would we call Lando a Seth? Face/heel/face?

Lando was always a face. He just did what he had to do in order to not die.

Enjoy your shitty Disneyfied Star Wars, millennial.

I will, already enjoyed the best Star Wars film since Empire last year...

But hey you'll always have the midichlorians on DVD

Edit: And that would have been a killer burn if you actually watched the prequels.

*Takes count out loss and heads to the back in shame*

Sephzilla

Sorry, I don't mean to delve into Star Wars too much but Return of the Jedi has some really well put together moments that I think go a little unnoticed. Like, for example, the final showdown with Luke and Vader is a surprisingly effective subversion of your expectations. From the moment in A New Hope where you hear "Vader betrayed and killed your father" you know that at some point we're going to get the moment where our hero Luke triumphs over Vader and defeats him. Instead, when we arrive in this moment in Return of the Jedi ...

conclusion.gif

... it's not a triumphant moment of our hero defeating the villain. Instead it comes across as a somber moment where a son is about to murder his father because his son has started to succumb to the same evil that his father fell prey to. And all the while, there's also the underlying fact that Vader also doesn't want to kill Luke because he knows Luke is right about him.

Even within just a Star Wars context this is crazy because of Episode 1.

Ep1 was only disappointing if you expected anything out of it

That poster and trailer were just so underwhelming I honestly ignored it until I rented it on DVD some day real cheap (a buck, I believe)

I can safely say my dislike of HHH is not a hivemind mentality. It's based around the belief that HHH always rode the coattails of other more successful wrestlers for most of his prime and parlayed that into trying to retroactively convince people he was good and then we he had the spotlight to himself he was exposed as being a really mediocre wrestler who also killed mainstream appeal of the business.

Seph, You're the guy.

BGnrlKA.jpg

"Look at me. I'm Harley Race. And I wrestle slow and methodical because of psychology and because I juiced so hard my quads burst into 1000 pieces"

"I'm over. You can tell I'm over because I use insider language like this:"

ZNBV7T2l.gif

"and this"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hyjao

What about me pushing the business to new heights with a storyline where I fuck a dead cheerleader"

MeY5YYu.jpg

Thanks for the ammunition, Fox.

imBask

Banned
how about a romance angle between Alexa AND Becky? Now that's progressive

SWERVE they're actually fighting over Dolph

Sorry, I don't mean to delve into Star Wars too much but Return of the Jedi has some really well put together moments that I think go a little unnoticed. Like, for example, the final showdown with Luke and Vader is a surprisingly effective subversion of your expectations. From the moment in A New Hope where you hear "Vader betrayed and killed your father" you know that at some point we're going to get the moment where our hero Luke triumphs over Vader and defeats him. Instead, when we arrive in this moment in Return of the Jedi ...

conclusion.gif

... it's not a triumphant moment of our hero defeating the villain. Instead it comes across as a somber moment where a son is about to murder his father because his son has started to succumb to the same evil that his father fell prey to. And all the while, there's also the underlying fact that Vader also doesn't want to kill Luke because he knows Luke is right about him.

This panning shot is one my favorite from the OG Star Wars films. There's just something so wonderful about the darkness of the shot with the lightsabers contrasting against it, plus Williams' score.

wait. what?

Hardy and Hurricane with shovels.

I need a clip of this. I need to know context.

Total Nonstop Deletion

Helms' team attack a boat
Helms goes into the regeneration pool, comes out as 3 Count, goes in it again, comes out as Hurricane, turns on team
Hardy and Hurricane bury Helms' team, Hardy makes HHH pun

Hasney

wait. what?

Hardy and Hurricane with shovels.

I need a clip of this. I need to know context.

Total Nonstop Deletion

Helms' team attack a boat
Helms goes into the regeneration pool, comes out as 3 Count, goes in it again, comes out as Hurricane, turns on team
Hardy and Hurricane bury Helms' team, Hardy makes HHH pun

What he said. That clip isn't up on YouTube yet, but here's what else the lake of reincarnation did to Helms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZfkguPjxpE

tm24

2 things

Reading the Power of Myth totally changed my feelings on Star Wars for the better

Ima keep calling Hiromu Takahashi Kamaitachi for at least the next year because fuck it, ive been typing it for 2 years and its easier for me

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's two types of people in this thread:

1) People who like Becky

2) People who are tsundere for Becky

Top Bottom