• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Is there a Spanish term for smark?

giphy.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Outside of my social media feeds and occasionally leaving Raw or Smackdown on in the background, I have not much hardly any wrestling lately, and I feel quite alright with it.

I do need to make sure to watch the Hardy stuff though

tm24

Word from Hero himself. He's basically waiting on medical testing to see if he's getting signed. He's not sure when his last show is. He'll announce on Twitter when its done

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How great is this Arn promo?

Back before everyone in wrestling was 'the real guy' which permeates pretty much all of indie wrestling, Arn was the real guy in the middle of cartoons. Arn was order and he brought reality down on you hard in your land of cartoons and one-dimensional heels and faces.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Total Nonstop Deletion was fun. Marked out for Hurricane. Also even as a huge HHH fan, I couldn't stop laughing at "Even the man with 3 H's would be proud of how we buried this young promising talent".

Just read the comments about NJPW having something coming. I really hope it's their own, more modern, version of NJPWorld. I'd happily subscribe to it regularly if it had more viewing options than just on the web, and was overall easier to use.

Zach

kGkIpYS.png

SHOOTMAS Day 17

Frank Gotch Vs George "The Russian Lion" Hackenschmidt

l33Zf8pl.jpg
VoX9d3el.jpg

I present to you one of the most famous wrestling feuds of all time. Crowds as large as 30,000 showed up in Chicago to watch these 2 men wrestle for the right to call themselves world champion.

First before we discuss the impact of the feud and the match itself lets look at the competitors.

9nFCtY0.png

souce(September 3rd, 1911 New York Times)

Lets look at George Hackenschmidt:
sEwR7L6.jpg
PCLAscu.jpg
FInJPPq.jpg

The best way to describe him was he was the worlds strongest man, the worlds best wrestler, and the worlds best bodybuilder all at the same time. He held world strength records and was way ahead of his time with his body building regime. This was before HGH, before steroids, and before bodybuilding was a popular art/sport. The man was a monster.

tZ05kZAl.jpg

Now on to Frank Gotch:
AzKeTUDl.jpg
zeoT7thl.jpg

A2Lrkqyl.jpg
VeKb0G9l.jpg

The professional wrestler. Frank Gotch came out of Iowa to become one of if not the greatest wrestler to ever live. He would wrestle 160 times and lose 6 times. He steped into the ring with no skills and managed to hold his own against world champions and was trained in shoot holds under Farmer Burns. The toe holds that he would use along with the smart tactics of wearing Hackenschmidt down showed that his mind was his key weapon. He was the most popular athlete in America. He would even wrestle against Japanese Jiu Jitsu experts in the east room of the white house for President Teddy Roosevelt.

The promotion of the matches was epic. Gotch was traveling around the nation taking on all comers while calling out Hackenschmidt for ducking. It is again the simple truth that a long term feud between 2 people will always draw. Its a time old feud that can make money. Especially since there was a national interest of watching an American beat Hackenschmidt. Then when Hackenschmidt lost he demanded a rematch and claimed Gotch cheated by eye gouging and oiling himself up. Then he showed up at the rematch in front of 30,000 and was quickly pinned twice. (The first match he lost via surrender because of Gotch's toe holds). Claims of Gotch hiring somebody to injure Hackenschmidt also were floated around but those were proven false. All the drama with scripted wrestling mixed with shoot holds and wrestlers going out to just wrestle. Some fans were convinced the results were fixed.

cK0nbq0.jpg
aAOPNys.jpg

Sadly this was in the early 1900's so we do not have video(or at least I was unable to find any) but the impact of this feud on professional wrestling, submission grappling, MMA, and freestyle wrestling lives on today.

I'm the last person I would consider an expert on this but I'd recommend everyone read up on it.

Past Days
Cool post, Fox318.

[executes deadly, yet sensual, cross buttock on Data West]

Menome

Catching up with the Osaka NXT match and Nakamura's intro was so long that I went to make a sandwich & drink, yet still made it back in time for the bell ringing.

Fox318

Unless you are a person who has failed at a sport or is in love with professional wrestling I don't see why a kickboxing champion wouldn't do MMA.

The WWE schedule is so hard and the pay isn't great.

Hasney

Unless you are a person who has failed at a sport or is in love with professional wrestling I don't see why a kickboxing champion wouldn't do MMA.

The WWE schedule is so hard and the pay isn't great.

Eh, the pay for womens MMA isn't there yet outside of the couple of stars. Dana will probably pay more if she manages to make a name in WWE too.

Fox318

Eh, the pay for womens MMA isn't there yet outside of the couple of stars. Dana will probably pay more if she manages to make a name in WWE too.

I mean I guess as a heavyweight but right now with the UFC adding a featherweight womens division and Rizin booking freak show MMA fights with women.

Who knows...

Top Bottom