• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Recall

Roadblock 2016 II

•Tag Titles - Exciting match, cool finish.
•Sami vs Braun - Utter trash.
•Jericho vs Rollins - Seen it all before, underwhelming.
•Swan vs Kendrick vs Perkins - No reason to care and rushed. Neville return was the highlight.
•Ironman match - Good hard fought battle, quite dramatic too.
•Universal Title - Decent match, a little slow to get going but still entertained.

Crowd was weird and some of the matches felt flat yet the opener and ironman match were the high points of the show.

Fox318

I don't understand Vince's need to change the name of the announcers and interviewers.

What is he worried they could sell shirts or something?

Fox318

kGkIpYS.png

SHOOTMAS Day 18

Pancrase/NOAH/NJPW/AJPW Minoru Suzuki vs Pancrase/Osaka Pro/Dotonbori's Takaku Fuke

I1236R4.jpg
su9TAl6.png

ParchedYellowInsect.gif
PaltryCleverFrog.gif
InfantileHorribleBlueandgoldmackaw.gif

While these are both professional wrestlers I'd like to focus on Minoru Suzuki who I'm sure most people know from his recent stints with NJPW and NOAH but he's a brutal fucking shooter. His catch wrestling and ground game is fucking nasty to watch. Also he has the gimmick of being a fucking monster coming to the ring.

Pancrease was a hughe lanching point for shoot style wrestling. It evolved from some of the UFW/UWFi/PWFG strong style wrestlers. The rules are pretty close to what profesional wrestling is aside from the pin:

• No elbows to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
  • No closed-fist strikes to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
  • No knees to the head on the ground.
  • No kicks/stomps to the head on the ground.
  • If a participant gets too close to the ropes, he is stood back up on the feet. (as opposed to PRIDE's recentering in the middle of the ring)
  • Non-title matches consist of one 15 minute round, while title matches consist of one 30 minute round.
  • If a participant is caught in a submission and taps out (whether unable to reach the ropes or not), it is a loss.
  • Five "escapes" are given to each fighter at the start of every match. An escape can be used when caught in a submission near the ropes, in which case the participant can grab them, be stood back on the feet and have one point deducted. Once a participant has used all of his escapes, it is a loss.
  • For knockouts, a ten-count similar to boxing and kickboxing is used. If the participant is unable to answer the ten-count, it is declared a TKO and that fighter has lost the match. However, if the participant is able to answer the ten-count, the fight resumes and one point is deducted.
  • If, at the end of regulated time, neither fighter has submitted, been knocked out, or lost all their points, a decision is rendered based on who lost fewer points. If neither fighter lost any points, or both lost the same number of points, the fight is declared a draw.
  • For a short period of time when Bas Rutten was the King of Pancrase, heelhooks were banned because of the frequency of injuries.
  • Strikes on the ground - whether closed fist to the body or open hand to the head - were discouraged by the fans, but still legal.

Its essentially really cool ground grappling mixed with some kicks, knees, and palm strikes.

Suzuki was trained by Antonio Inoki, Billy Robinson, and Karl Gotch and it shows. Little tweaks like that knee on the neck/face isn't something that was being used in Jiu Jitsu. He also attempts a pirates cruisfix and there is some rough shin riding while Fuke is in guard. Plus we get a camel clutch attempt.

https://www.ufc.tv/video/minoru-suzuki-vs-takaku-fuke-pancrase-pancrash-2
Josh Barnett on Minoru Suzuki
Fightland Article on Minoru Suzuki
Minoru Suzuki vs Bas Rutten with Rutten on commentary.
Past Days

I turned that trash off. Time to go work out and clear my pores of this trash I was just fed.

Im not gonna lie. I spent most of my night trying to figure out a way to get people to play my Super Mario Maker levels that I worked really hard on and am really proud of that have gotten mostly ignored as of late.

Recall

How was the show?

Roadblock 2016 II

•Tag Titles - Exciting match, cool finish.
•Sami vs Braun - Utter trash.
•Jericho vs Rollins - Seen it all before, underwhelming.
•Swan vs Kendrick vs Perkins - No reason to care and rushed. Neville return was the highlight.
•Ironman match - Good hard fought battle, quite dramatic too.
•Universal Title - Decent match, a little slow to get going but still entertained.

Crowd was weird and some of the matches felt a little flat yet the opener and ironman match were the high points of the show.

Edit: I guess nothing memorable in the long term.

Im not gonna lie. I spent most of my night trying to figure out a way to get people to play my Super Mario Maker levels that I worked really hard on and am really proud of that have gotten mostly ignored as of late.
You worked yourself horribly. Don't expect people to appreciate your work dude. Do it for yourself.

Recall

So maybe check out the tag match and the lady match? Gotcha.

Why was the Sami match so bad?

It was an extended squash. Sami got beat on for 8 minutes, stopped Foley throwing in the towel, hit a running boot and survived the 10 min time limit. Nothing happened. Braun's beatdown was dull and the crowd didn't care.

Is there really not another PPV until the Royal Rumble? That sounds amazing.

You worked yourself horribly. Don't expect people to appreciate your work dude. Do it for yourself.

Oh I know my courses are Grade A, Top Notch, Amazing. I just need them Stars. I need validation.

Top Bottom