• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

ReiGun

The reactions at Roadblock and HiaC are telling as far as where Charlotte sits with fans. People in the arenas didn't get mad when she won. There was no booing or jeers. There were also no jeers like the cool heels get. Just silent disappointment.

People like Charlotte in her current role of "arrogant evil queen" of the WWE, and most people respect her work. Especially as she's improved this year. But people don't want Charlotte. Not in the way they wanted Sasha when she was a heel, or Bayley when she was in NXT. I think those two events showed that while people may not be tired of Charlotte herself, they are tired of her current role and more than anything, want to see her be conquered and beaten like the heel she is.

If they want to try and turn her face before the audience is ready to embrace her in that role, fine. But they better be ready to potentially have another Roman on their hands.

The reactions at Roadblock and HiaC are telling as far as where Charlotte sits with fans. People in the arenas didn't get mad when she won. There was no booing or jeers. There were also no jeers like the cool heels get. Just silent disappointment.

People like Charlotte in her current role of "arrogant evil queen" of the WWE, and most people respect her work. Especially as she's improved this year. But people don't want Charlotte. Not in the way they wanted Sasha when she was a heel, or Bayley when she was in NXT. I think those two events showed that while people may not be tired of Charlotte herself, they are tired of her current role and more than anything, want to see her be conquered and beaten like the heel she is.

If they want to try and turn her face before the audience is ready to embrace her in that role, fine. But they better be ready to potentially have another Roman on their hands.

Nah, nobody on the roster has fostered the kind of perfect storm that led to Roman's current backlash.

Face Charlotte would get Seth Rollins' current tepid face response. Maybe less because she's not as flashy of an athlete.

Browny

Banned
My boiler Rollins-chair-shotted me yesterday afternoon. New boiler hopefully being installed at the end of the week.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck.

Just watched the 6 woman tag from Stardom.

Io vs Mayu at Korakuen Hall must be ridiculously good.

I feel sorta bad for Mayu after those WWE rumors where she wasnt mentioned at all. She is fucking amazing. Fuck knows why they would overlook her.

You're putting way too much thought into this. Charolette is not the next Roman, not even close. The only reason we're seeing her so much as champion/face for the title is because she's the only one capable of carrying that belt on Raw. Sasha is not good enough on the mic to carry that belt.

Raw64life

The silver lining in them wanting Charlotte to be a 16 time women's champ in record time is that it means she'll be losing a lot, something that they don't let Roman do.

My boiler Rollins-chair-shotted me yesterday afternoon. New boiler hopefully being installed at the end of the week.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck.

Christen it with a boiler room brawl between family members, first one to escape gets first pick of new years beverages.

Got my ticket to see Ibushi flip off a balcony (there's a balcony in the venue, of course he's jumping off it)

Same here, pretty fucking pricey though - but, should hopefully be worth it to see Ibushi in a shoebox-sized venue jumping off of shit. Also definitely looking forward to Ibushi trying to kill Ihashi the day before at a family show :p

There's no way Charlotte will ever be another Roman. There will never be another Roman.

Zach

SummerSlam '02 was actually pretty alright. Maybe the best PPV since WCW's demise.

Haha, Triple H being handed the Big Gold Belt by the next PPV... >_>

Hex

Banned
Man, been watching old Nitros mainly 96-97 the whole NWO and Crow Sting era.
Dean Malenko was just god tier.
Arn Anderson was legit awesome.
There was just something about the vibe of Nitro and the WCW ppvs, they looked raw (no pun intended) where RAW looks so polished and over processed.
Also I think I never really appreciated exactly how much Mexican talent came through WCW. I mean you always remember Ray, Conan, Juvi and LaParka but so many names pop up.

C0m1qUgUsAERbQ9.jpg

5541441404.gif

Zach

And then HBK is the one who takes it off him.

Kliq Rulz
You spoiling SOB.
I was at Summer Slam 02. Probably the best PPV I ever attended.
Oooh. Fun.
There was just something about the vibe of Nitro and the WCW ppvs, they looked raw (no pun intended) where RAW looks so polished and over processed.
Also I think I never really appreciated exactly how much Mexican talent came through WCW. I mean you always remember Ray, Conan, Juvi and LaParka but so many names pop up.
This guys knows.

ReiGun

Nah, nobody on the roster has fostered the kind of perfect storm that led to Roman's current backlash.

Face Charlotte would get Seth Rollins' current tepid face response. Maybe less because she's not as flashy of an athlete.

You're putting way too much thought into this. Charolette is not the next Roman, not even close.

There's no way Charlotte will ever be another Roman. There will never be another Roman.

Fair enough. Seth is probably a more apt comparison than Roman. I was thinking of Roman in terms of "fans getting hip to a company 'chosen one' and rejecting them so it backfires," not that she'd receive the same level of vitriol Roman gets.

The only reason we're seeing her so much as champion/face for the title is because she's the only one capable of carrying that belt on Raw. Sasha is not good enough on the mic to carry that belt.

Now this I don't agree with at all. They've never had a problem putting a belt on someone with lackluster in-ring skills or mic skills or what have you if they think there's money in them. Now, if you say they think there's more money to be made in Charlotte long term - whether it's by turning her face or having her beaten at a big PPV by some babyface - I could see that. I might think it means they're short sighted or at least, may not realize Charlotte herself still has a lot of room to grow. But I could see that line of thought over "Sasha's probably the most popular woman we have, buuuuuuuut no belt for her cause we don't like her promos."

It was a special brand, and a special era.

Does the WWE network have the time when Nash was booker, and took the 1st hour and just filled it with back stage promos and skits? Torrie Wilson was introduced this way, shooting range with Hogan I believe, is that up on the network?

Zach

It was a special brand, and a special era.

Does the WWE network have the time when Nash was booker, and took the 1st hour and just filled it with back stage promos and skits? Torrie Wilson was introduced this way, shooting range with Hogan I believe, is that up on the network?
"Special brand"? You're dead to me, Into the Light.

But yeah, all of the Nitros are on the Network. That episode was especially terrible. I wanted to die.

I don't think you're being honest with this community or yourself, DMczaf.

Early '99? Not sure. It was so bad. Why do you want to watch it? Because of how uniquely bad it was?

It was just unique. I remember reading that Nash wanted to prove a point, that they could have 0 wrestling, and still get the ratings. I just want to sit back and watch it. I remember it being pretty unique.

That was one of them.

Took a picture of that Chris Benoit v Chris Jericho writeup from that 100 Greatest WWE Matches book. Just a reminder that this book is officially licensed by WWE and was released in 2016:

It looks like that must have been approved at a pretty high level - you can't see Benoit's face and the article focuses on Jericho, so the person putting it together knew what they were doing given they tried to mitigate to that extent.

Top Bottom