• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Looks like I found Fox's new avatar

castagnoli.jpg

Kinda sad on the last Nitro Shane called all of the shots and treated everyone so professionally. Even insisted that Ric and Sting do their thing. Shane was in awe at that. But it sucks that this guy was treated like the step child even before ass kisser came in the picture. Ideas like ufc and doing the nxt thing a very long time ago. Say what you want but he's the best character guy and you have to respect him for going out of the comfort of his father and marking his own path.

I personally think Shane is very smart/creative and should be the one running WWE when Vince can't go anymore.

Kinda sad on the last Nitro Shane called all of the shots and treated everyone so professionally. Even insisted that Ric and Sting do their thing. Shane was in awe at that. But it sucks that this guy was treated like the step child even before ass kisser came in the picture. Ideas like ufc and doing the nxt thing a very long time ago. Say what you want but he's the best character guy and you have to respect him for going out of the comfort of his father and marking his own path.

Pretty spot on. Now the company will go to Vince's idiotic son-in-law. From my understanding, before he went to work for YOU, a lot of the employees under him in WWE spoke highly of Shane. Hell, I will be one of the few to say "I want to be Shane's assistant."

Tagyhag

AFAIK, the Shirai/Hojo contract stuff was never resolved. The last update we got was weeks ago from Meltzer that they were "reconsidering".

Edit: This is the exact quote from the Nov. 21st WON:

His wording is kind of vague, but it could mean one of two things depending on how you interpret "looking at staying". Either that means they are "looking at" the idea of staying and are still considering their options, or they are "looking at" staying in the sense that they are looking towards the future with the idea that they are staying.

I'm just not going to believe it until I actually see them in an NXT ring. No sense getting hyped up again.

I personally think Shane is very smart/creative and should be the one running WWE when Vince can't go anymore.

Nah. NXT and the direction of signings in the past five years has more than sold me on Triple H.

Shane seems like a decent "idea" guy, but I don't necessarily have confidence in his specific ideas when it comes to wrestling. The "ECW being internet exclusive" thing would have flopped to hell and back in 2006 given that video streaming is much more proliferated in 2016 and the Network is still only a moderate success.

When Shane came back in February, I remember Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer spoke to how humorous the reception was for him since he apparently has the worst booking decisions of the entire McMahon family, Triple H included.

When Shane came back in February, I remember Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer spoke to how humorous the reception was for him since he apparently has the worst booking decisions of the entire McMahon family, Triple H included.

Yeah, I remember that. He talked about how Shane would come up with these ridiculous creative ideas and everyone would just ignore him for it, then when he left everyone spoke about how he really didn't have any idea how to do it.

Hasney

Nah. NXT and the direction of signings in the past five years has more than sold me on Triple H.

Shane seems like a decent "idea" guy, but I don't necessarily have confidence in his specific ideas when it comes to wrestling. The "ECW being internet exclusive" thing would have flopped to hell and back in 2006 given that video streaming is much more proliferated in 2016 and the Network is still only a moderate success.

I don't know why it would have flopped. It was just going to take up one of the house shows on the tour and be out of tiny arenas featuring old ECW guys and OVW guys. There was enough of a fanbase there to make its money back at least considering that unlike the network, it wasn't going to cost the end user anything.

Recall

ECW fucking sucked and flopped in 2006-2008 so in hindsight there was nothing to lose.

So it comes across as Shane is forward thinking, Steph is egomaniacal and Vince is just crazy. Yes Vince and Steph have made things work, but have fucked plenty up too so letting Shane be Shane in the open would have let us see how he ticked. He might have pulled it off, he might have failed but you gotta let him try.

I bet Shane has done loads we know nothing about. Maybe Shane helped Vince understand what something like the Network could be?

Striker

What signings did he make where the performer wasn't already popular either from TNA, RoH, or in Japan? It's like crediting Bischoff for being a genius signing big name WWF guys.

On top of that, it's one thing to bring in the guys, it's another where they make you money (you would think long term but almost all these men are 35+ yrs old) and get used to their strengths.

Adree

Playing FFXV and that "overrated" thread made me watch the opera scene in FFVI again. Fuck, that game is a masterpiece (Star Control 2 is still best game of all time though.)

FFXV is fun, almost too laid back for it's own good though.

I saw someone bring up an interesting point. They are going into a period of a few weeks where they are making it seem like a lot of people want a shot at Asuka (Ember Moon, Kay and Royce, and now as of last night Nikki Cross), but she says no one is worthy of it as of her promo last night. And Graves had a line on commentary about "there are women all around the world who want a shot at Asuka".

So what if the heavily rumored/almost certainly happening women's tournament is for a shot at Asuka? What if Asuka is NXT's Shao Kahn?

That's what I've been saying.

I want Empress Asuka sitting on a throne watching as these women fight each other for the chance to get in the ring with her.

I'm still on about the winner being Ember Moon but goddamn they need to give her some character building segments.

Ithil

What signings did he make where the performer wasn't already popular either from TNA, RoH, or in Japan? It's like crediting Bischoff for being a genius signing big name WWF guys.

On top of that, it's one thing to bring in the guys, it's another where they make you money (you would think long term but almost all these men are 35+ yrs old) and get used to their strengths.

That he even looked at many of these already non-WWE good performers is an upgrade from previous hiring policies. Lest we forget the Johnny Ace days.

Hype for TND next week.
As much as they use indie wrestlers' original names these days, they gotta find something better than "Kimber Lee." Yeesh.

Yeah, she's never been great with names I guess.

Her tag team was the Kimber Bombs.

Because her name is Kimber Lee.

And her partners name was Cherry Bomb.

THAT NAME MAKES NO SENSE

Recall

There's too much stuff in so few panels.
Why is Spider-man going to a Mets game
Why is he wearing a cap
Did the guy turn into a wall just by having bricks falling on him

Because he is.
Because he is.
Because it did.

It isn't hard to understand, bro.

MC Safety

There's too much stuff in so few panels.
Why is Spider-man going to a Mets game
Why is he wearing a cap
Did the guy turn into a wall just by having bricks falling on him

Spider-Man v. The Wall is awesome, and you shouldn't badmouth it.

Everyone knows Spider-Man likes the Mets and hates the Yankees. As Jimmy Breslin said, who does well enough to root for the Yankees?

Also, Morgan Freeman is the umpire.

Anth0ny

Capcom wanting 4 million sales of RE7 on day 1 is the kideo game equivalent of Vince wanting 3 million subscribers

No one likes your dumb shit enough to hit those numbers, you jabroni fucks

Striker

That he even looked at many of these already non-WWE good performers is an upgrade from previous hiring policies. Lest we forget the Johnny Ace days.
Those days did bring in Daniel Bryan, Paul London, CM Punk, Kazarian, Tyson Kidd, Harry Smith, and Evan Bourne. May be missing some but that's a decent size sample. They weren't completely ignored. Used wrong? Absolutely. Kidd/Smith were jobbing to nu-DX all the time. And another big difference now and then is, main event talent. From '04-'12, for at least majority of it you had Cena, Batista, Triple H, Edge, Undertaker, Michaels, and Orton getting the mega pushes. Without those guys in the main events, they had to forcibly push your Rollins, Styles, Owens, and so forth. It definitely wouldn't have happened in 2005.

Lashley was a good signing by them at this point, but racist employers in the company ruined any of that.

At any rate, he's just signing the most popular guys (even Mistico and Kenta who've flopped) from outside the US/indies and bringing them in, money talks. With so name guys gone, they have little choice.

Capcom wanting 4 million sales of RE7 on day 1 is the kideo game equivalent of Vince wanting 3 million subscribers

No one likes your dumb shit enough to hit those numbers, you jabroni fucks

*6 months later* "Capcom announces disappointing sales figures for RE7"

Every fucking time.

Foggy

If WWE end up doing the rumored Women's International tournament thing, I have to imagine some of the women from Stardom will be in it. I know the rumored contract stuff fell through, but it wouldn't surprise me if they still go to the event (and WWE puts more pressure on them signing).

Io Shirai is believable going over Asuka. Although, they do have some history so they might work themselves into a shoot.

Still have no idea where the supposed "heat" between them comes from and why people think it's still there. It just sounds like a rumor that's been repeated so often that it's taken as gospel.

Regardless, NXT definitely doesn't NEED to poach Stardom since they can fill ranks with freelancers like Hikaru Shida, Syuri, and Hiroyo Matsumoto. Shida is the most likely candidate since her English is better than Asuka's and she probably fits their beauty standard. They'll probably sell her as a female Nakamura or something.

It'd ultimately be pretty surprising if Io or Kairi join unless they're being loaned, but Rossy is so notoriously stingy about how they're booked that I'd say it's unlikely. Hopefully they can stay and continue to have great matches. I'd much rather have great wrestlers go to the WWE once they're past their prime and need to do one last thing before going on a retirement tour. Losing Io's prime years to the WWE would be bitterly disappointing.

Still have no idea where the supposed "heat" between them comes from and why people think it's still there. It just sounds like a rumor that's been repeated so often that it's taken as gospel.

Regardless, NXT definitely doesn't NEED to poach Stardom since they can fill ranks with freelancers like Hikaru Shida, Syuri, and Hiroyo Matsumoto. Shida is the most likely candidate since her English is better than Asuka's and she probably fits their beauty standard. They'll probably sell her as a female Nakamura or something.

It'd ultimately be pretty surprising if Io or Kairi join unless they're being loaned, but Rossy is so notoriously stingy about how they're booked that I'd say it's unlikely. Hopefully they can stay and continue to have great matches. I'd much rather have great wrestlers go to the WWE once they're past their prime and need to do one last thing before going on a retirement tour. Losing Io's prime years to the WWE would be bitterly disappointing.

I do agree with you and Heroman, it is hard to imagine them leaving especially given what is going on with Io now. And Rossy, yeah.

It still wouldn't surprise me, for better or worse (likely worse, as you say). I'm sure their bodies are already somewhat beaten given how hard they go at it.

Still a real tragic shame about Yasukawa, given sacrifices already made.

Foggy

I do agree with you and Heroman, it is hard to imagine them leaving especially given what is going on with Io now. And Rossy, yeah.

It still wouldn't surprise me, for better or worse (likely worse, as you say). I'm sure their bodies are already somewhat beaten given how hard they go at it.

Still a real tragic shame about Yasukawa, given sacrifices already made.

Yeah, Act was always a better character than wrestler but it's still awful that her career was snuffed out because of Yoshiko's shoot. She's doing her actress thing right now so hopefully it works out for her.

It's funny how good a position Stardom was in until they lost 3 stars in one fell swoop because of that shoot. Then Yuhi retired which was sad considering her talent and young age. The good news is that Kyouna and Momo are getting much better as the year has gone on. Momo in particular has been incredibly impressive for only being 16.

How do i say this without being a bellend

They hired Nia Jax, Heidi Lovlace, were interested in Jessika Havok, and just rehired a 37 year old woman.

I don't think the "WWE Beauty Standard" really exists any more. And that's a great thing.

also all those women I mentioned aren't unattractive, they just don't fit the stereotype you're talking about

Jamie OD

Interesting you mentioned Syuri because she's given MMA a go and is doing quite well at it. If she keeps at it I wouldn't be shocked to see her in UFC in a few years if they're still interested in the Japanese market.

Interesting you mentioned Syuri because she's given MMA a go and is doing quite well at it. If she keeps at it I wouldn't be shocked to see her in UFC in a few years if they're still interested in the Japanese market.

That caught my eye as well. Syuri's focus on kickboxing takes her out of wrestling.

y6tM7.gif

ImooSfX.gif

tumblr_oh4gn797co1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Kurita

It's finally Friday, it took forever!

I'm ready for smack.....wait it's not 2008

Enjoy this random Smackdown summary from October 27th, 2007
Dark Match: Chuck Palumbo defeated Kenny Dykstra
Singles Match: Kane defeated Mark Henry (3:00)
WWE Tag Team Championship Match: Matt Hardy & Montel Vontavious Porter (c) defeated Finlay & Rey Mysterio (17:20)
Singles Match: Batista defeated Jamie Noble (1:05)
Triple Threat Match: Big Daddy V (w / Matt Striker) defeated John Morrison and The Miz (3:33)
Tag Team Match: Festus & Jesse defeated Joe Hennig & Steve Fender (0:57)
Dark Match: Batista & Rey Mysterio defeated Finlay & The Great Khali

Top Bottom