• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

RBH

tumblr_ng7cdfd00I1tm9oe8o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ng7cdfd00I1tm9oe8o1_1280.png
iOYpB6kh1E2nj.gif

strobogo

Banned
Friend Heel would probably like the wrestling fans to come back to the MMA thread so they can have their first new one in 3 years.

strobogo

Banned
Guess I'm gonna start watching UFC then. How does it work?

A megalomaniac boss feuds with his employees, giving title shots to those he likes even when they don't deserve it, preventing others from getting them, screws everyone out of money while treating all of them like dirt and publicly shaming them every chance he gets because he made himself the star of his own company.

Aiii

So not worth it
Guess I'm gonna start watching UFC then. How does it work?

3-round's of 5 minutes (5 rounds in Title Matches) where you get a mix of grappling and stand-up fighting, wrestlers mixing it up with kickboxers, that kind of thing. Rounds are graded by judges, winner gets 10 points, loser 9 or less. Whoever knocks-out (technical or legit) or submits his opponent wins, if not, whoever gets the most points does.

Pretty straightforward all in all.

strobogo

Banned
Stro or anyone, what can ya'll tell me about Karl Gotch?

He was dope as fuck, pretty much invented the World of Sport style but made it look legit. Inoki basically aped his style completely, which morphed into shoot style and then MMA. Also trained Tiger Mask and a few other dudes that would make shoot style/MMA popular in Japan. German suplex is named such in honor of him. Invented the cradle piledriver and Neutralizer (which is why Regal called it the Gotch-style Neutralizer on NXT).

Basically all the shit I've said in the past about how important Inoki was to both wrestling and MMA probably wouldn't have happened without the training he got from Gotch.

Alucard

Banned
He was dope as fuck, pretty much invented the World of Sport style but made it look legit. Inoki basically aped his style completely, which morphed into shoot style and then MMA. Also trained Tiger Mask and a few other dudes that would make shoot style/MMA popular in Japan. German suplex is named such in honor of him. Invented the cradle piledriver and Neutralizer (which is why Regal called it the Gotch-style Neutralizer on NXT).

Basically all the shit I've said in the past about how important Inoki was to both wrestling and MMA probably wouldn't have happened without the training he got from Gotch.

Oh shit, did he innovate the German suplex into a bridge? And I had no idea he helped train Inoki.

Does he have a good bio out somewhere? Was really impressed with him in that '73 tag with Thesz.

Gotch didn't invent the World of Sport style, he learned catch wrestling from Billy Riley at the Snake Pit in Wigan, which is where Billy Robinson and a lot of the British greats learned their craft also. Gotch incorporated what he learned into his own style, which he then taught to Inoki, etc. Watch some Billy Robinson matches, stro - legit catch-as-catch-can wrestling, no fancy Johnny Saint escapism.

Also, the German suplex is called a 'Geman suplex' in honour of Gotch, who was synonymous with the move.

Whaaaaaat. The card is already 8 matches deep. Wonder if they'll be debuting a new faction or something.

And I thought Willie Mack was on the E's radar?

Apparently Willie Mack told them he wasn't going to past the drugs test because he smokes so much weed, so that's that.

strobogo

Banned
Oh shit, did he innovate the German suplex into a bridge? And I had no idea he helped train Inoki.

Does he have a good bio out somewhere? Was really impressed with him in that '73 tag with Thesz.

He didn't invent it, but the German part is a tribute to him. No idea if he has a biography or anything. He's pretty important to Japanese wrestling. "God of Wrestling" is what the Japanese called/still call him.

Gotch didn't invent the World of Sport style, he learned catch wrestling from Billy Riley at the Snake Pit in Wigan, which is where Billy Robinson and a lot of the British greats learned their craft also. Gotch incorporated what he learned into his own style, which he then taught to Inoki, etc. Watch some Billy Robinson matches, stro - legit catch-as-catch-can wrestling, no fancy Johnny Saint escapism.

Also, the German suplex is called a 'Geman suplex' in honour of Gotch, who was synonymous with the move.

Apparently Willie Mack told them he wasn't going to past the drugs test because he smokes so much weed, so that's that.

Oh. I thought he was big in both the catch style and WoS style since all the matches of his I've seen had him doing WoS style stuff but in a way that looked far more legit and logical. I've only seen probably 4 or 5 Gotch matches ever. Billy Robinson is also dope. Always seemed to be a mean piece of shit in the ring, though. Like he'd fuck someone up at any point because he was mad or just for fun.

Alucard

Banned

I've been learning a bit more about catch-as-catch-can and discovered scientificwrestling.com yesterday...where Robinson used to be a trainer. It's been cool learning about all of this stuff and getting some context to understand how pro wrestling has evolved and how much more legit it was 40 years ago.

Too bad about Willie, but if he debuts in ROH tonight, that would be pretty rad. Maybe him and Trevor Lee (?) can interrupt the Elgin and Ciampa match.

He didn't invent it, but the German part is a tribute to him. No idea if he has a biography or anything. He's pretty important to Japanese wrestling. "God of Wrestling" is what the Japanese called/still call him.

Nice. Thanks for giving me even more historical context. Adds a lot more to watching the matches on New Japan World to know this kind of stuff.

Billy Robinson is also dope. Always seemed to be a mean piece of shit in the ring, though. Like he'd fuck someone up at any point because he was mad or just for fun.

He definitely had that in him and sounds like a real mean bastard outside of the ring, as well - a lot of people accused him of being a bully, because Verne used him in the AWA as his legit shooter and would have Billy stretch the fuck out of prospective trainees, or use him to teach a lesson to someone who didn't want to play ball. He also apparently made a young Sheiky Baby humble.

I smell trouble.

Don't confuse UFC-GAF with MMA-GAF. Big difference and MMA-GAF is good people.

I was more talking MMA fans in general, not just on GAF - I like MMA-GAF, they have that self-loathing thing going on with their pastime of choice, which WrassleGAF can most certainly relate to.

UberTag

Should I tweet Dana and volunteer to be Punk's first scab opponent? I'm older than him, have no jiu jitsu background and am in far worse shape. Punk will easily be the favorite to win.

Bought the iPPV last night, really looking forward to it - I saw cheeseburger on twitter talking about how the set-up's bigger than anything ROH have used for PPV before, can't wait to see it. Also, that reDRagon/Time Splitters rematch.

Should I make an OT thread? Haha.

Yeah man. You've got more chance of convincing random OT'ers to watch ROH than the sour fucks in WrassleGAF ;)

Xater

Aii post about TNA outdoing Fight Night still killed me.

Actually thought about buying the ROH iPPV as well but then I realized I have to get up early tomorrow so that's not happening...

Alucard

Banned
Bought the iPPV last night, really looking forward to it - I saw cheeseburger on twitter talking about how the set-up's bigger than anything ROH have used for PPV before, can't wait to see it. Also, that reDRagon/Time Splitters rematch.

Yeah man. You've got more chance of convincing random OT'ers to watch ROH than the sour fucks in WrassleGAF ;)

Absolutely loved their Power Struggle match, and I thought it was really cool of ROH to show a chunk of it on their television show this past week. The tag bout is probably my second most-anticipated match after Cole and Briscoe.

dakun

oh wow and here i thought UFC was doing as well or even better than WWE.

Wow those numbers are quiet pathetic in comparison. I was under the impression it was doing so much better because when you ask the average person they'll be quiet willing to admit to watching UFC and not WWE.. And i always heard people talk about this "competition" between UFC and WWE (ratings not content)...

Aiii

So not worth it
oh wow and here i thought UFC was doing as well or even better than WWE.

Wow those numbers are quiet pathetic in comparison. I was under the impression it was doing so much better because when you ask the average person they'll be quiet willing to admit to watching UFC and not WWE.. And i always heard people talk about this "competition" between UFC and WWE (ratings not content)...

UFC is a PPV business, WWE is a TV business. Big difference.

Alucard

Banned
Here's what I've got for the OT thread. Anything I can/should add?
TONIGHT @ 8PM EST LIVE ON PPV

roh120714-338x330.jpg

What is Ring of Honor?
A pro wrestling company that has been around since 2002. They were really popular in the mid-2000s due to a roster that boasted the likes of Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, among others. Today, they are arguably the #2 pro wrestling promotion in North America after the WWE. Check them out @ http://rohwrestling.com

What is Final Battle?
Ring of Honor's Wrestlemania. It's their year-end show where many of their feuds and stories build up to and culminate at.

How do I find out about the storylines for this thing?
ROH has released a 50-minute preview show that hypes all of the major bouts. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iX-61G16Wc

Who's wrestling?

Fight Without Honor for the ROH World Championship
Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe (c)
Adam-Cole-vs.-Jay-Briscoe-Final-Battle.jpg

ROH Television Championship
Matt Sydal vs. Jay Lethal (c) (/w Truth Martini)
tvtitle_0.jpg

ROH World Tag Team Championship
The Time Splitters vs. reDRagon
redragon-vs-time-splitters_roh-final-battle-2014.jpg

Special Challenge Match
Michael Elgin vs. Tommaso Ciampa
fb14elginciampa.jpg

Revenge Match
RD Evans vs. Moose
fb14rdmoose.jpg

Student vs. Mentor Match
Roderick Strong vs. Adam Page
111814fb14strongpagerotor.jpg

6-Man Tag Spectacle
ACH and The Young Bucks vs. Cedric Alexander and The Addiction
fb14sixman.jpg

4-Corner Survival
Hanson vs. Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Caprice Coleman

How can I watch this and how much does it cost?
You can order this through traditional televised PPV, or as an iPPV on http://rohwrestling.com for $24.95

Will it be any good?
This is arguably ROH's biggest show ever, and their talent are known for going all-out. Yes, this will rock your face off.

Also, please feel free to chat it up in our Wrassle-GAF community thread for all things wrestling. We do a new thread each month. Here is the one for December: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942106

RP912

Banned
Going to try to check out FInal Battle even though I haven't followed ROH in a longggggg time. I'm talking when Steen had the company held hostage which was awesome despite Cornette turning it into NWA 3.0.

dakun

UFC is a PPV business, WWE is a TV business. Big difference.

oh ok thanks for the clarification. i never watched a UFC match more than a minute. But just hearing about it i thought it was much more liked than WWE. of course it being a PPV business changes things.

Xater

I don't know. UFC PPV numbers do not seem that how either anymore from what I have looked up. It's certainly no longer the hotness it was in 2010.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
UFC hasn't been cool in a while. Like Diesel would never do a UFC event.

Their fanbase is just like the WWE fanbase. Except somehow even more rednecky.

bjork

Friend, I buy so many games just to not play them. Recent offences include Retro City Rampage PS4 (physical copy), Class of Heroes 2G, and Biohazard Remastered Collector's Edition. These games are rare and will remain sealed forever.

It's a sickness. But I've gotten better. A little better.

^5, me too. Gonna sit on it and hope to maybe trade it for something I'm hunting down the line.

WCW had great depth too, so you wouldn't need the same old shit all the time.

Rusev defends each week for a year? He's going to battle Kofi Kingston 40 times.

This should be how they reintroduce jobber matches. "No WWE superstar is from this state, so here is Jimbob from the Arby's."

Should I tweet Dana and volunteer to be Punk's first scab opponent? I'm older than him, have no jiu jitsu background and am in far worse shape. Punk will easily be the favorite to win.

But what if you won?

The last UFC I watched was 6, because it had Shamrock vs. Severn and iirc Severn was also NWA champ at the time.

Joeki11a

Banned
So I wake up to hear that Frail cry baby is joining UFC? Dana white gassed him I see.

Let me get this straight, he wines about getting hurt in tv wrestling, now he joins UFC did this clown read my rant?, Your frail ass will get exposed on Ufc.

These fighters are no Ryback they will actually kick your ass. All that pipebomb slick talking crap will get a UFC fighter pissed off and smack ya mouth for real now.

Who is he trying to prove wrong with this?
Is he sooo pissy at Hunter that he is went to Dana like a crying baby to let him try to "get back" at wwe?. Ya thats it.

DiscoJon

Banned
So I wake up to hear that Frail cry baby is joining UFC? Dana white gassed him I see.

Let me get this straight, he wines about getting hurt in tv wrestling, now he joins UFC did this clown read my rant?, Your frail ass will get exposed on Ufc.

These fighters are no Ryback they will actually kick your ass. All that pipebomb slick talking crap will get a UFC fighter pissed off and smack ya mouth for real now.

Is he sooo pissy at Hunter that he is went to Dana like a crying baby to let him try to "get back" at wwe?. Ya thats it.

88.gif

Vylash

HHH.gif

Top Bottom