• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Sokantish

Brock- Beat the streak, murdered Cena
Ambrose- Um... he's been Cool?
Cena- Champ again. Yay.
Seth- Money in the bank winner.
Wyatt-Program with Cena,Jerciho...cool heel???
Reigns- baby doll beleetdat
I just listed all the other dudes that were nominated for the dumb award. I don't even know what it means to be Superstar of the Year.

Sephzilla

Declare your positions on Roman Reigns.

I'm on the Roman War Wagon, supporting the Holy Roman Empire. He does have IT. I have faith he'll connect with fans (that he's already doing) and give us enjoyable matches, 5 star feuds.

He's getting pushed a year too early.

Vince is going to strap a rocket to him come 'Mania season. He'll get decent reactions but more smarky areas will turn on him fast. His mic skills or lack there of are going to come back to bite him. Mania will come, he will defeat the beast, but ratings wont change and he wont sell anything remotely close to Cena level merchandise let alone Punk/Bryan tier. Vince will panic, Cena will be champion again within 4 months after Mania.

strobogo

Banned
And also, the crowds of today after 10 years of Cena are not remotely adverse to booing the WWE's "chosen guy". Cena was at least established as the top guy and had been super over as a midcarder for ages before that before crowds started turning on him en masse.

This is false. They turned on him almost immediately. He was way more over in the lead up to WM 21 than he was after. There were boring chants at WM21 and probably 40% of crowds had turned on him by the time they got to Vengeance in June. By the feud with Angle it was probably 60% against him. And it's been like that for 9 1/2 years.

jmdajr

Vince is going to strap a rocket to him come 'Mania season. He'll get decent reactions but more smarky areas will turn on him fast. His mic skills or lack there of are going to come back to bite him. Mania will come, he will defeat the beast, but ratings wont change and he wont sell anything remotely close to Cena level merchandise let alone Punk/Bryan tier. Vince will panic, Cena will be champion again within 4 months after Mania.

Reigns the new Ultimate Warrior?

I did LOOOOVE Warrior though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Roman vs Brock will be really fun, Brock will bump his ass off for Roman and make him look like a million bucks. I'm confident it'll be fun to watch. Brock goes the extra mile for his opponents.

DMczaf

With every Roman appearance, I increasing become down on him.

I watch early Diesel promos from 1995 and I hear Reigns. Vince writes these guys exactly the same.

Sephzilla

The best thing about Roman beating Brock is going to be when Rollins cashes in and pins Roman.

But yeah, Roman as he is right now has Neo Diesel all over him. "The Big Dog", "Big Daddy Cool".

Striker

The thing I worry about with Roman is that, although he's better now than Cena was in 2005, Cena had much better talent to work against and get better with. Roman won't get programs with Angle, Taker, HBK, Jericho when Jericho wasn't terrible, HHH (maybe), and so on.
His early matches with Angle, Lesnar, and Big Shoe put him over big, even if he didn't win them all. That will be another difference. Roman will not only NOT have the same talent in comparison, but he'll win these feuds/matches and the heel will have little heat. They could turn Rollins or someone into a slimy heel like Edge. But again, promos matter, guys like Roman and Rollins are lacking.

jred2k

They've been adding color highlights to his SWAT gear so that when he starts having new colours of the same shirt every month it would feel too jarring. You better get ready for "BELEE IN ME" rally towels as well.

Ithil

This is false. They turned on him almost immediately. He was way more over in the lead up to WM 21 than he was after. There were boring chants at WM21 and probably 40% of crowds had turned on him by the time they got to Vengeance in June. By the feud with Angle it was probably 60% against him. And it's been like that for 9 1/2 years.

Yes, I know they turned on him once he turned into a Superman (during WM 21, no less). My point was since then crowds are pretty used to booing "top guys", and WWE have even inadvertently encouraged it by refusing to change Cena and just calling him "controversial" instead.
So they aren't going to wait til he's starting a reign of superman terror post WM for Roman, they'll shit on him by the Rumble if he continues being lame and shoved down your throat.

JavyOO7

Roman will be fine... if the entire creative direction in the fed changes.

But as of right now? I wish Bray Wyatt had all the glitz and glamour on him. I'll never get bored of Bray Wyatt ranting nonsense.

So, hypothetical - what happens when Roman has to feud with Cena? Does Cena finally make a sacrifice and come out the undeniable loser of the feud, or does Roman take a step back and play second fiddle to Cena?

jmdajr

HHH back home playing with the kids, Brock is going to leave. Who is the biggest heel they have? Rusev? Rollins? Wyatt?
It's too late to fix Cesaro.

But if you turn Roman heel....

Yes, I know they turned on him once he turned into a Superman (during WM 21, no less). My point was since then crowds are pretty used to booing "top guys", and WWE have even inadvertently encouraged it by refusing to change Cena and just calling him "controversial" instead.

Wasn't it before WM because his promo's were watered down beyond recognition?

He started making poopy jokes, it was embarrassing as hell

Sephzilla

Roman will be fine... if the entire creative direction in the fed changes.

But as of right now? I wish Bray Wyatt had all the glitz and glamour on him. I'll never get bored of Bray Wyatt ranting nonsense.

HHH back home playing with the kids, Brock is going to leave. Who is the biggest heel they have? Rusev? Rollins? Wyatt?
It's too late to fix Cesaro.

But if you turn Roman heel....

Bray should be a main event level heel right now alongside Rollins. His program with Ambrose has been nice, but Bray is totally suffering the effects of being a Cena victim. Brock should be up there too but all of Brock's momentum stopped at Night of Champions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, hypothetical - what happens when Roman has to feud with Cena? Does Cena finally make a sacrifice and come out the undeniable loser of the feud, or does Roman take a step back and play second fiddle to Cena?

Why do you think Roman 'had to get surgery' when he was shown with this
ca6e64241740df771a29d1efd1426f74_crop_north.jpg

That mother fucker knows the business. He knows to get as far away from Cena as possible.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Not if Roman's a heel he won't. And Cena won't be a heel. I think they'll honestly keep those two apart.

Sephzilla

Are we talking build up to WrestleMania or post WrestleMania?

Pre-Mania Reigns might go over. Post-Mania, Cena is burying him deep.

strobogo

Banned
So they aren't going to wait til he's starting a reign of superman terror post WM for Roman, they'll shit on him by the Rumble if he continues being lame and shoved down your throat.

Fans also were turning on Rock in 2000 and 2001. Not anywhere to the extent that they turned on Cena, but it definitely was happening. I think any dude turned into a new Hogan was going to get turned on after 2001. Times changed. If they're going to turn on the Rock, guys Cena's level and lower have no chance with that kind of push.

Sephzilla

Fans also were turning on Rock in 2000 and 2001. Not anywhere to the extent that they turned on Cena, but it definitely was happening. I think any dude turned into a new Hogan was going to get turned on after 2001. Times changed. If they're going to turn on the Rock, guys Cena's level and lower have no chance with that kind of push.

I don't think they turned on Rock for necessarily the same reasons. I think they were turning on Rock because they kind of saw the writing on the wall that Rock was going on to bigger and brighter things. People turned on Cena because they clearly saw that he was becoming Neo Hogan quickly.

At least Vince was smart and made Hollywood Rock happen.

jred2k

Not if Roman's a heel he won't. And Cena won't be a heel. I think they'll honestly keep those two apart.

Cena has been saying forever that the future goes through him. In kayfabe and in reality Roman won't truly look like the top guy until he has pinned Cena clean. Roman would need to clearly be the focus of the shows for a long time before he can be seen as above Cena. I honestly don't see Cena just taking a reduced role without a pay off first.

I was thinking that Cena could realistically spend 6 months losing PPV's clean and it not have one bit of effect on his merch or status as the top guy, it would also help give 3 or 4 guys some credibility

strobogo

Banned
I don't think they turned on Rock for necessarily the same reasons. I think they were turning on Rock because they kind of saw the writing on the wall that Rock was going on to bigger and brighter things. People turned on Cena because they clearly saw that he was becoming Neo Hogan quickly.

At least Vince was smart and made Hollywood Rock happen.

My point was fans turning on the top face isn't a new thing. Shit, you can go back to the end of Hogan's WWF run and fans were tired of him. Pre-nWo Hogan had fans often going FULL Cena on him. A lot of the smarkier cities in the 80s had turned on Bob Backlund. Shit, there were places that were booing Ricky Steamboat against Flair.

Vylash

Declare your positions on Roman Reigns.

I'm on the Roman War Wagon, supporting the Holy Roman Empire. He does have IT. I have faith he'll connect with fans (that he's already doing) and give us enjoyable matches, 5 star feuds.

no mic skills, no charisma, he's sleep inducing in the ring, he's got nothing to justify this ridiculous push other than Vince's stupid body preferences, though he does have a certain swagger and presence that makes me think he'll mature in time, but his current push is way too soon, way too forced, and he's gonna crash and burn unless he pulls off some god tier Brock Lesnar level improvement

Cena tying Ric Flair's record is so obviously going to be the fall back option in case Reigns doesn't pan out.

If they go through with this, I will be done with this company. I wil cxl my subscription, and and I will never watch RAW again.

This would be the biggest slap in the face to every fan and historian ever. Especially since it would be a fkn hand delivered joke of a run for a joke of a man who has had a joke of a career.

Even HHH had the sense to stop when he got close. This would be the woerst travesty in all the history of wrestling. Hogan could wrestle circles around Cena. I can not believe this Johnny do gooder has been wrestling for over a decade now. He was the mauin reason I stopped watching for most of the 2000's. I only cam back for Punk, and how funny it took someone on Punks level to drag a 3 star performance out of this guy.

Unreal what the hell happened to this industry?

strobogo

Banned
If they go through with this, I will be done with this company. I wil cxl my subscription, and and I will never watch RAW again.

This would be the biggest slap in the face to every fan and historian ever. Especially since it would be a fkn hand delivered joke of a run for a joke of a man who has had a joke of a career.

Work shoot shoot work shoot mark brother jabroni etc

I remember last year when everyone was saying the Slammy voting was totally legit just because DB+ won Superstar of the Year. Now they're magically rigged again, friends?

Ithil

Difference there is in 2001 Rock was missing for much of the year as he was breaking into movies, was missing for almost all of 2002, and by 2003 he turned heel, then he was gone by the summer. 2000 was the last year he was around fulltime. His time on top was relatively short.

In the decade of Cena, they have steadfastly refused to alter him in any way despite the crowd hating him. They're a lot more pigheaded and stubborn now, much less likely to change their booking based on audience reaction.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think, distasteful as it is, we're gonna have to accept that Cena is a bigger deal than Flair was.

Hasney

Is there a shortage?

Yeah, rumors keep going around that they'll never make them or some Amiibos again, Nintendo as a whole are silent on it and even though we're all sure they'll make it again, there's enough uncertainty that people will pay over the odds.

I only had 2 because of a stupid site over here that's banned to link to on GAF refused to cancel my order. Not complaining now.

I think, distasteful as it is, we're gonna have to accept that Cena is a bigger deal than Flair was.

By what metric? And if so, could you rank the top 5 in your opinion by the same criteria just so I can get a feel of this?

DMczaf

By what metric? And if so, could you rank the top 5 in your opinion by the same criteria just so I can get a feel of this?

You can probably guess what his gimmick is going to list as the top 5.

This thread needs a Real Ass Stone Cold to shake everyone up out of their characters and gimmicks.

Top Bottom