• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Mengetsu

Just started watching NXT

When the ref throws up cross hands does that mean the match is over due to injury or is it just some bullshit DQ thing? Coz fuck Neville, I was enjoying watching Zayn and I should watch this every week it seems

It legitimately means
and injury but this one time they used it as a story heater for neville to put him more over as a cheat to win.
It's suppose to make for a good story.

Edit New Paige:

fspohk.gif

Recall

Watching the True Story of Wrestlemania documentary (from 2011) and it's the best piece of marketing they've ever done for the annual show. The fact they spend the first 40 minutes of a 2 hour program talking solely about Wrestlemania 1-3 is quite telling though.

XShagrath

I took my wife to see Phantom of the Opera last night. While we were sitting in the lobby, waiting for the theatre to open, Sylvester Lefort walked by with his lady (some redhead that wasn't Eva Marie). A little bit later, he walked by again and went upstairs because his seats were worse than ours.

Tickets for Wrestle Kingdom are selling twice as fast as for last year's event, which drew 35,000 fans to the Tokyo Dome - hopefully they can get back to 40k this year, they've shown steady growth since Bushiroad took over.

AJPW had an absolutely devastating turn out for their Real World Tag League finals at Osaka BODYMAKER Colosseum; just 1,688 fans in a 7,000 seater building. Thankfully Osaka BMC isn't too expensive to run, but this has to be an indication that All Japan aren't really fit to run anywhere bigger than Korakuen Hall at present.

Alucard

Banned
Seriously Alucard, go watch ACH vs Omega from Night 2 of BOLA. Then go watch Zabre Jr. vs Cole.

One of these days. Time is not on my side with this stuff.

...how much of 2014 njpw did you watch?

Not enough. Styles/Suzuki, Styles/Okada, and a couple of others. I was fatigue drunk last night and I feel similar today.

Go home Alucard, you are drunk.

What I like about ROH are their music themes, RedDragon and Cole are great.

Sweet. Get ready for El Patron.

Recall

Tickets for Wrestle Kingdom are selling twice as fast as for last year's event, which drew 35,000 fans to the Tokyo Dome - hopefully they can get back to 40k this year, they've shown steady growth since Bushiroad took over.

AJPW had an absolutely devastating turn out for their Real World Tag League finals at Osaka BODYMAKER Colosseum; just 1,688 fans in a 7,000 seater building. Thankfully Osaka BMC isn't too expensive to run, but this has to be an indication that All Japan aren't really fit to run anywhere bigger than Korakuen Hall at present.

Haven't AJPW struggled for 4-5 years now?

I still think NOAH and AJPW should become a single entitity as neither are in a healthy drawing position and it could create as bit of interest considering the promotions past.

From cage side seats *rumours* post for today.

•There is apparently a feeling within WWE that pushing Roman Reigns to win the WWE world heavyweight championship from Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 31 is the right call and that was enforced by his winning the "Superstar of the Year" Slammy Award despite not being on television for months now. The fan voting, as indicated previously, was legitimate and Reigns beat out both John Cena and Dean Ambrose.

I know this is a rumour, but if its true, its just as I feared. Hopefully Roman can survive the uber push as I really think he has potential as a main event guy, but he's just not ready.

Haven't AJPW struggled for 4-5 years now?

I still think NOAH and AJPW should become a single entitity as neither are in a healthy drawing position and it could create as bit of interest considering the promotions past.

Yeah, ever since Mutoh sold up to money-mark Shiraishi - people thought it'd lead to a more financially stable All Japan, but it turned out that Shiraishi was batshit crazy and he drove fans away with his wild statements and outlandish ideas. Mutoh fucked off to form W-1 and took half the roster with him, but thankfully Akiyama found some new backers (including Giant Baba's widow) and staged a coup to take over the company. They're still struggling to turn things around though, even though the product has gotten a lot better.

I couldn't see them ever joining with NOAH, especially as AJPW is now controlled by Akiyama who had a big falling out with NOAH when they fired Kobashi. It'd definitely be best for business if one of the companies competing for 3rd place folded or joined together with a rival, though.

Friend, I thought we were friends, friend. I was with it until the "frickin' umbrella" line.

Oh, we are, friend, but I don't think you can take the British wrassles seriously. The umbrella line was a bit dodgy, but I appreciated the creativity of the promo and, just like the Jimmy promo you found so embarrassing, it's a definite cut above the standard US indie wrestling promo fare.

From cage side seats *rumours* post for today.

I know this is a rumour, but if its true, its just as I feared. Hopefully Roman can survive the uber push as I really think he has potential as a main event guy, but he's just not ready.

If he comes back with a few more moves, I can see it. He'll look cool with the belt. It'll also feel like a big deal since Brock will have had the belt for like 9 months by then and he's kind of holding it hostage by not appearing.

Recall

Yeah, ever since Mutoh sold up to money-mark Shiraishi - people thought it'd lead to a more financially stable All Japan, but it turned out that Shiraishi was batshit crazy and he drove fans away with his wild statements and outlandish ideas. Mutoh fucked off to form W-1 and took half the roster with him, but thankfully Akiyama found some new backers (including Giant Baba's widow) and staged a coup to take over the company. They're still struggling to turn things around though, even though the product has gotten a lot better.

I couldn't see them ever joining with NOAH, especially as AJPW is now controlled by Akiyama who had a big falling out with NOAH when they fired Kobashi. It'd definitely be best for business if one of the companies competing for 3rd place folded or joined together with a rival, though.

So which promotion is considered number 2 in Japan?

If NOAH and AJPW barely draw, how well are Dragon Gate doing? Is Zero-1 still a thing?

If he comes back with a few more moves, I can see it. He'll look cool with the belt. It'll also feel like a big deal since Brock will have had the belt for like 9 months by then and he's kind of holding it hostage by not appearing.

Well, ready or not, it looks like he's going to be pushed to the top, so I hope he's ready soon. His promos need to improve (mainly I think they need to be better written), and his move set needs to increase, but he's done well with what he's been given... so we'll see.

If NOAH and AJPW barely draw, how well are Dragon Gate doing? Is Zero-1 still a thing?

Well it's not Osaka Pro. Sure, they have massive stars like Bodygurd and Policeman, but they just aren't well known.

I know they aren't massive stars.

My wife and I actually saw an Osaka Pro show when we were in Japan. It was fantastic fun... but the work was nothing special. The characters though, repeatedly made me laugh. I mean, you have a wrestling cop, and he's just called 'Policeman'? That's brilliant.

It's Dragon Gate, although other promotions like to pretend they aren't real competition, probably because of the difference in their demographics (Dragon Gate attracts a lot of non-wrestling fans). They consistently outdraw every other promotion not named NJPW, however, so they're the clear no.2.

Z1 are still plugging away at Korakuen Hall levels and have a pretty loyal hardcore fanbase, plus they've been working with WRESTLE-1 a lot recently. Also, with NOAH partnering more with NJPW, that leaves just AJPW without any sort of major partnership (although they do use some K-DOJO guys).

Striker

It's not so much his moveset, but his moves in general. Most of them are so convoluted it's boring to watch. Orton is similar. Sheamus is someone else you watch and always has to get his 1000 set of signature moves in, without much flow at all.

Alucard

Banned
Apparently simplythebest is also a major head of sony pictures. Where does he find the time.

Yikes.

Lethal Combination used to be one of my favorite moves by Jay.

It still looks great today.

It's part of the build towards Wrestle Kingdom - look at the teams; Tanahashi is facing Okada, Ibushi is facing Nakamura, Makabe is facing Ishii and Sombra & YOSHI are just there to make up the numbers. They have a fair few random tags in Japanese wrestling, but often it's with wrestlers who'll be wrestling each other at the next big PPV.

Yeah, I caught on to that, but the rest of the PPV was so yawn-worthy that I didn't really care by that point and couldn't divorce the match from the rest of the show.

Lucha was fantastic even if the opening match
was a fairly average squash match (although Cuerno is always cool to see).
Fenix vs Chavo was fantastic, great work by both wrestlers. The action moved quick and there was good variety, only issue was the camera work during the first suicide dive by Fenix which really needed a cut or two more to hide the fact that Chavo & Pentagon Jnr were standing around so damn long waiting for him to jump onto them. Even the commentary was great with Vampiro throwing in some light heel commentary as well as prompting Striker to explain why certain moves were good/being used. The dropkick counter by Chavo looked boss as fuck too.
Ladder match was a ton of fun. Crowd chanting HOLY SHIT got a laugh out of me too. I wouldn't expect El Ray to have a Standards & Practices suit lol. Big Ryck worked really well in the context of the match.

Big Ryck has been a nice surprise, and I was also surprised to hear a Holy Shit chant. But it's cool. Makes the show feel more natural and like it has a very different flavor from the other guys out there.

So I found out after Jericho's podcast with Ambrose that he hasn't liked one promo he has done since being brought to Raw. Hate's the scrips cause it doesn't feel natural or real but does them to make the back happy. Also it was Vince's idea with the promo on Raw awhile back with the dummy Rollins and he was explaining how Vince was talking to himself with the doll. Explaining to Ambrose how to cut the hands off and say "I'm gonna rip your face off!"
KuGsj.gif

aChZRlt.gif

gw6itmy.gif

LOL @ this. This fucking company. That said, maybe Dean should be going to creative with his own ideas instead of complaining about the ones he gets.

Recall

Everyone says Cesaro can't talk. Motherfucker gave a great natural promo during the 2K tour for the latest WWE game where he was allowed to be himself. It's the scripts that are forced on everyone that stifle their creativity, and doesn't let them display why they were hired to begin with.

LOL @ this. This fucking company. That said, maybe Dean should be going to creative with his own ideas instead of complaining about the ones he gets.

I get that Dean isn't a fan of the material, but you wouldn't know that from his performances. He's been doing amazing things with the material he's been given.

Jamie OD

It's Dragon Gate, although other promotions like to pretend they aren't real competition, probably because of the difference in their demographics (Dragon Gate attracts a lot of non-wrestling fans). They consistently outdraw every other promotion not named NJPW, however, so they're the clear no.2.

Z1 are still plugging away at Korakuen Hall levels and have a pretty loyal hardcore fanbase, plus they've been working with WRESTLE-1 a lot recently. Also, with NOAH partnering more with NJPW, that leaves just AJPW without any sort of major partnership (although they do use some K-DOJO guys).

The story I heard about Zero1 years ago is despite drawing lower than other companies in Korakuen, they still get enough to break even and continue running.

bjork

I took my wife to see Phantom of the Opera last night. While we were sitting in the lobby, waiting for the theatre to open, Sylvester Lefort walked by with his lady (some redhead that wasn't Eva Marie). A little bit later, he walked by again and went upstairs because his seats were worse than ours.

Is this the tour with the different set pieces and everything? It's coming to Pantages in the summer and I'd like to take a friend of mine, but she was hesitant due to changes they made to the old show. Is it really that different, do you know?

Yeah, I caught on to that, but the rest of the PPV was so yawn-worthy that I didn't really care by that point and couldn't divorce the match from the rest of the show.

It was a pretty skippable show, only the top 3 matches were worth a watch, but that's par for the course on a New Japan b-tier PPV.

It's cool because it's New Japan, bro.

It's cool because coked up Nakamura is one of the best characters in wrestling.

Ithil

It legitimately means
and injury but this one time they used it as a story heater for neville to put him more over as a cheat to win.
It's suppose to make for a good story.

Edit New Paige:

fspohk.gif

And a good story it does make, 'cause I wanna see that elf motherfucker get his shit kicked in tonight
The more impressive part is in the match, Neville was legitimately hurt, he wasn't faking the injury, he just saw an opportunity and took it. The whole storyline is that he's more ruthless than Sami and Sami has to stop being the nice guy to beat him.

Alucard

Banned
Not everyone can be a non-descript white guy with muscle grade just a shade better than CM Punk who stands up at a slow pace.

It was a pretty skippable show, only the top 3 matches were worth a watch, but that's par for the course on a New Japan b-tier PPV.

It's cool because coked up Nakamura is one of the best characters in wrestling.

Sorry, guys. I'm just trolling for the sake of trolling. The type of smark I don't like has come out over the past 24 hours due to fatigue, personal shit, and just being annoyed by the New Japan World Tag League. Sucks getting disillusioned and realizing they have problems just like any other company.

strobogo

Banned
Oh now, WTL was not an impressive show at all. It was basically a house show. For me, NJPW shows usually are a waste before intermission anyway. But dudes aren't going all out a month away from the biggest show of the year. You don't get a bunch of great matches in March in WWE, either. NJPW has a lot of issues for sure. So much of their roster is late 30s-mid 40s. They've been running completely meaningless 6-8 man tags to open shows for like 30 years now.

Full NJ shows are hard for me to sit through. I always have to do them in chunks. That's why I like the match by match uploads on NJPW World.

jred2k

I haven't signed up for NJ World yet so I can't check, but if you search for matches with Yano and MiSu how many results do you get?

Fox318

What would happen if WWE was hacked?

Would we get to see all the racist chain emails between Vince, H, and Hayes? Assuming Vince and Hayes use email, of course.

Hunter emailing Vince asking for a belt and demanding his daughter and Chyna getting fired.

Hayes sending craigslist style personal listings to Divas.

Hogan and Vince emails talking about movie script rewrites.

Vince asking Donald Trump for financial investments ideas like the XFL.

Vince demanding that WWE talent go on the air and look good for Linda.

Vince discussing the Warrior burial DVD.

jred2k

Hunter emailing Vince asking for a belt and demanding his daughter and Chyna getting fired.

Hayes sending craigslist style personal listings to Divas.

Hogan and Vince emails talking about movie script rewrites.

Vince asking Donald Trump for financial investments ideas like the XFL.

Vince demanding that WWE talent go on the air and look good for Linda.

Vince discussing the Warrior burial DVD.

Vince sending an email to the social media guy about the ADR incident.

"God damn that was a good rib, pal. I push Mexicans in my pool all the time."

Alucard

Banned
Oh now, WTL was not an impressive show at all. It was basically a house show. For me, NJPW shows usually are a waste before intermission anyway. But dudes aren't going all out a month away from the biggest show of the year. You don't get a bunch of great matches in March in WWE, either. NJPW has a lot of issues for sure. So much of their roster is late 30s-mid 40s. They've been running completely meaningless 6-8 man tags to open shows for like 30 years now.

Full NJ shows are hard for me to sit through. I always have to do them in chunks. That's why I like the match by match uploads on NJPW World.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head and listed the exact same issues I've noticed with the two full shows I've watched this year. (Best of the Super Jrs finals and World Tag League)

-tons of random tag filler
-an old/aging roster
-nothing memorable pre-intermission (minus Maria and Taichi/Desperado)
-bland ring work / "sports entertainment" style matches in the first half
-too damn long

I love that the older shows are broken up into matches on New Japan World. I'm basically gonna treat them like the WWE and only watch the big shows, the new stuff that gets buzz, and slowly work my way through their back catalog. Although I'm already a bit tired of Inoki matches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, we are, friend, but I don't think you can take the British wrassles seriously. The umbrella line was a bit dodgy, but I appreciated the creativity of the promo and, just like the Jimmy promo you found so embarrassing, it's a definite cut above the standard US indie wrestling promo fare.

America is home to some of the greatest promos of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0

Top Bottom