• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Third Annual WrassleGAF Awards NOMINATIONS are up
Reminder: These are NOMINATIONS, not the actual voting. After the nominations are collected, in about a week, the actual voting will commence.

http://goo.gl/forms/VZW5g0ZbCp

EDIT: Really the last post on the fucking page

Reminder - send in your NOMINATIONS. This isn't the actual voting. Just nominate your folks.

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Best of WWE 2014 Part 6

I have been sitting on this for a week and a half waiting for Takeover.

• Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins HIAC 2014
  • Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins Raw 11/3/14
  • Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville NXT Championship NXT 11/13/14
  • Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt Survivor Series 2014
  • Team Authority vs Team Cena Survivor Series 2014
  • Charlotte vs Sasha Banks NXT Women's Championship NXT Takeover : R Evolution
  • Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville NXT Championship NXT Takeover: R Evolution

In isolation, it has been a really great year for wrestling from pretty much everywhere you look. There are a lot of words about why and how things like Sami and Bryan's big wins this year are what makes wrestling dope.

My top 5 WWE matches for 2014:

1. Daniel Bryan vs HHH Wrestlemania 30
  2. Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville NXT Takeover R Evolution
  3. Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt Royal Rumble
  4. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro NXT Arrival
  5. Team Cena vs Team Authority Survivor Series

Honorable mentions go out to Charlotte vs Nattie/Sasha, Sayn/Kidd/Neville/Breeze, Shield vs Evolution elimination match. Really, the middle 3 are almost interchangeable to me, but the climax of Sami's angle and the post match stuff bump it ahead.

Forkball

Dusty was the mind behind The Shockmaster. I mean, not to condemn someone for one notoriously bad idea, seeing as Vince came up with the Gobbledygooker, but let's not pretend Dusty is a booking savant. I agree that he's a better entertainer than a booker. He has a booking gimmick named after him due to overuse, for chrissakes.

Who will be remembered more in ten years: The Shockmaster or Roman Reigns? I rest my case.

Fox318

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Best of WWE 2014 Part 6

In isolation, it has been a really great year for wrestling from pretty much everywhere you look. There are a lot of words about why and how things like Sami and Bryan's big wins this year are what makes wrestling dope.

Honorable mentions go out to Charlotte vs Nattie/Sasha, Sayn/Kidd/Neville/Breeze, Shield vs Evolution elimination match. Really, the middle 3 are almost interchangeable to me, but the climax of Sami's angle and the post match stuff bump it ahead.
You are missing the ziggler, cesaro,Kidd match from smackdown

strobogo

Banned
You are missing the ziggler, cesaro,Kidd match from smackdown

I'm missing a number of matches. It was culled from Bootaaay's list of "should watch" stuff, but sometimes my taste doesn't line up with his taste, as in the case of all those cunty UK wrestlers he likes so much. I also got tired of waiting for that ep to get uploaded to the Network.

Fox318

I'm missing a number of matches. It was culled from Bootaaay's list of "should watch" stuff, but sometimes my taste doesn't line up with his taste, as in the case of all those cunty UK wrestlers he likes so much. I also got tired of waiting for that ep to get uploaded to the Network.
Match is kinda a letdown in it's own way.

Why was it on smackdown?
Why wasn't it the main event of smackdown?
Why didn't they use it to remind people smackdown exists ?
Why didn't they take notice of these guys and have a match like this instead of Cena wins #381619462?

Ithil

Alex Riley somehow managing to confuse himself into claiming very loudly that Finn Bálor and Hideo Itami don't speak any English was quite hilarious. You know, following a video before the match of both only doing English promos (and Bálor being, you know, Irish, not from the middle of Africa).

Hasney

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Best of WWE 2014 Part 6

Love those last paragraphs in the full post. You've had a helluva 2014, kid.

XkE9T.gif

strobogo

Banned
Alex Riley somehow managing to confuse himself into claiming very loudly that Finn Bálor and Hideo Itami don't speak any English was quite hilarious. You know, following a video before the match of both only doing English promos (and Bálor being, you know, Irish, not from the middle of Africa).

Alex Riley is almost as bad as JBL, but was extra worse last night because he was seething at knowing his spot is getting taken by Corey Graves. He was being a straight cunt all night and giving death glares at Corey on the pre show. Then during the show proper he reminded Corey a few times that Corey can't wrestle any more, the whole cism/xenophobia shit with Kenta and Devitt, couldn't believe that a WOMAN could do the shit in Sasha/Charlotte (which Corey quickly corrected him on), and in general couldn't decide if he was heel, face, or tweener all night. You had him shitting on Sasha for being disrespectful and cheating, and then praising her for cheating and playing mind games a minute later. You had him saying Sami didn't have that extra drive and didn't have it in him to win the big one, then after the match saying he always supported Sami and knew he could win the big one. He's terrible. King of Lean was pretty good for his first night. Much better than Riley has ever been. Even if he said "fuck" on his first broadcast. Which isn't edited out on the VOD version.

Sephzilla

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Best of WWE 2014 Part 6

Those last few paragraphs...

65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

Nominations have been submitted.

Riley's the drizzling shits, though you can see why he's pushing to return to active wrestling on Twitter since he knows his time as a commentator is near its end. I hope Graves brings something to the NXT commentary; Riley, Albert, and even beloved Renee Young aren't cutting it.

Thinking about making a visit out to this as I'm on my own in the house this weekend and it's about 20 minutes away. Pretty interesting looking card.

cache_2453674058.jpg

Love those last paragraphs in the full post. You've had a helluva 2014, kid.

http://i.imgur.com/XkE9T.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Yeah that finish was a nice touch that helps to remind me as poopy as WWE has been this year post Extreme Rules it still had its few memorable moments that ensure I get stuck watching (or vaguely glancing over at on fast forward) this shit every week.

Sephzilla

I'm okay with Albert on commentary to be honest. But yeah Riley's time as NXT announcer is coming to an end as far as I'm concerned - Graves was so much better

Alex Riley is almost as bad as JBL, but was extra worse last night because he was seething at knowing his spot is getting taken by Corey Graves. He was being a straight cunt all night and giving death glares at Corey on the pre show. Then during the show proper he reminded Corey a few times that Corey can't wrestle any more, the whole cism/xenophobia shit with Kenta and Devitt, couldn't believe that a WOMAN could do the shit in Sasha/Charlotte (which Corey quickly corrected him on), and in general couldn't decide if he was heel, face, or tweener all night. You had him shitting on Sasha for being disrespectful and cheating, and then praising her for cheating and playing mind games a minute later. You had him saying Sami didn't have that extra drive and didn't have it in him to win the big one, then after the match saying he always supported Sami and knew he could win the big one. He's terrible. King of Lean was pretty good for his first night. Much better than Riley has ever been. Even if he said "fuck" on his first broadcast. Which isn't edited out on the VOD version.

It would be nice if they loosened up on the language restrictions a bit on the Network. Treat it like HBO. We could even get Kaitlyn's ass biz involved.

I was sat there wondering if he kept mentioning Graves not being able to wrestle anymore or 'until recently you were wrestling' to be a dick.

Ithil

It's crazy how many dangerous moves they are allowed to do in NXT. The abundance of dives to the outside, even from the women, Owens' fisherman neckbreaker and the stiff powerbomb, the double stomps from Itami and Bálor, that insane reverse frankensteiner from Neville, and of course the powerbomb onto the ring apron.

Sephzilla

I think it's awesome that Balor's character essentially has a "boss mode" to him. Hopefully some day we see him achieve his Final Form at WrestleMania.

I think it's awesome that Balor's character essentially has a "boss mode" to him. Hopefully some day we see him achieve his Final Form at WrestleMania.

I know people earlier were talking about Finn not being able to do super hero paints because of copyright, etc, but that never stopped Rey Mysterio or Kofi Kingston before. I'm sure if he avoids any logos or anything like that, there'd be no problem.

Hasney

We will.

He'll get ready and then be bumped to the pre-show because of time constraints when they book Flo-Rida last minute.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would love to see Del Rio vs Styles. Goddamn I want that. Two hungry-ass dudes wanting to perform to the best of their ability.

Sephzilla

What I also personally liked about the Sami/Neville feud and match was that it was mostly a feud over a title between two people who wanted a title.

I know people earlier were talking about Finn not being able to do super hero paints because of copyright, etc, but that never stopped Rey Mysterio or Kofi Kingston before. I'm sure if he avoids any logos or anything like that, there'd be no problem.

I think the look he debuted at REvolution is going to be the one they try to market on shirts and stuff. But I think he'll definitely go full Carnage at some point. Balor alone makes me wish WWE could resurrect Halloween Havoc.

We will.

He'll get ready and then be bumped to the pre-show because of time constraints when they book Flo-Rida last minute.

Ugh when you say stuff like this it makes me wish HHH could break NXT off into a different federation where Vince couldn't take his talent and waste it.

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Best of WWE 2014 Part 6

fantastic sir. You know me, I love my flippy ish but the story telling in Zayn vs Neville last night was incredible. That alone make it one of the best matches of the year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today is FallingEdge's birthday.

Here, have a superkick from me to you.

strobogo

Banned
NXT PPVs are amazing. The mains are booked so well.
Alberto El Patron is a stupid name.

Should have been Roberto The Nile.

It's shameful shit that the developmental territory is so much better than the main show. Imagine a time when OVW or DSW were better than the main roster. Developmental is there to get people ready for the main roster, yet the developmental people put on better matches, promos, shows, and often production than the main roster. Ridiculous. NXT proves that the 80s style of running a show is completely valid and timeless. NXT gets more stories and characters over in an hour than the main roster does in 6. I wish dudes and gals got paid the same as they would on the main roster to just stay down there and continue putting on great shows.

fantastic sir. You know me, I love my flippy ish but the story telling in Zayn vs Neville last night was incredible. That alone make it one of the best matches of the year.

The lack of indie bullshit in that match elevated it a lot. There wasn't finisher spam reversal reversal finisher kick out reversal kick out finisher finisher nonsense. Neville avoided the helluva kick 4 times and didn't kick out when pinned after it. Sami blocked the Red Arrow and that was the only time it was even tried. The only time Neville even went to the top rope in the whole match. It was great work from both guys and whoever laid it out. I talked a lot about Sami, but Neville really brought it. For a dude who has been about as much of a generic vanilla midget as possible, he's really been bringing it since the 4 way and the match wouldn't have been the same without him in it.

It's amazing that Sami/Neville (and the 4 way, a fucking FOUR WAY) in developmental had better pacing, psychology, internal, and over all story than any Cena/Orton match this year.

Did Riley really call Steen a flying cow?

Yes.

Hasney

Same for me. Like I watched that Lucha ladder match last night and thought it was great and thinking that Zayn/Neville will have to do some work to top it, but they're more than capable. But even without the fantastic spots, all the work building up to it and the story they told in the match just made me goddamn care more than any other match this year, hell, even in the last few years.

The lack of indie bullshit in that match elevated it a lot. There wasn't finisher spam reversal reversal finisher kick out reversal kick out finisher finisher nonsense. Neville avoided the helluva kick 4 times and didn't kick out when pinned after it. Sami blocked the Red Arrow and that was the only time it was even tried. The only time Neville even went to the top rope in the whole match. It was great work from both guys and whoever laid it out. I talked a lot about Sami, but Neville really brought it. For a dude who has been about as much of a generic vanilla midget as possible, he's really been bringing it since the 4 way and the match wouldn't have been the same without him in it.

When he came out and the way he was smiling, it kinda clicked for me just who the hell laid that match out: Pat Patterson. It just has to be.

strobogo

Banned
Same for me. Like I watched that Lucha ladder match last night and thought it was great and thinking that Zayn/Neville will have to do some work to top it, but they're more than capable. But even without the fantastic spots, all the work building up to it and the story they told in the match just made me goddamn care more than any other match this year, hell, even in the last few years.

When he came out and the way he was smiling, it kinda clicked for me just who the hell laid that match out: Pat Patterson. It just has to be.

It and Team Cena vs Authority definitely felt like Pat Patterson joints.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Does anyone else think that the whole Kevin Owens thing wouldn't have been as powerful without the busted nose? It made the guy look like a million bucks, beat up, and still kicking both his debut opponent and Sami into the curb.

Speaking of, There are already parallels between Sami and Kevin. Sami debuted, beat a jobber, than beat Cesaro, who was still a big freaking deal at the time, on the same night. Kevin Owens debuts, beats CJ Parker, and then beats up Sami, new NXT Champ.

This is going to be a good one.

Top Bottom