• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It started well then they fucked it all up, What a damn shame.

It was never going to be done well with WWE writing it. They should have paid a third party to do it for them, but that might show the WWE looking weaker than WCW at points, and the only people allowed to do that are the WWE.

OR at the very least have Bischoff and McMahon featured as talking heads and NOT use recycled footage to do it.

If only they were white, right?

I questioned myself on that when I dismissed Sin Cara and Kallisto's match because I looked at them and thought 'boring', (although this was more to do with seeing the vaudevillans and thinking 'really boring', but i obviously dismissed the other two because i saw lucha masks and thought they were generic nothings and I wasn't interested).

So I thought - maybe I'm just being a bit of a racist and writing them off because I think they're mexican wrestlers, so I don't care.

And maybe I'm doing that with the Usos because I see them as Samoan and I don't care.

I can admit that's probably some part of what I think, and it isn't good, so I'm addressing that now. Always important to identify where your racisms lie, even if they are minor and possible to chalk up to something else.

So to chalk them up to something else I'd say that it's because the Usos are a bland face tag team with a bright, happy gimmick and I generally find that boring. They don't seem to have any characters beyond happy guys with a lot of energy and a chant, and I generally like to watch heels more. They're also pretty heavily defined by their ethnicity, which is something that happens with most wrestlers who aren't whitebread American including guys like Sheamus, Fandango, or the proportion of the few black wrestlers who have rap themes - and this is because WWE is a racist company through and through and isn't even capable of not being that way because all of their executives are happily racist and so are most of their fans. So you're just gotta accept that you're watching a racist media product, along with the multitude of other things that make the WWE gross such as the way the entire main roster women's division is handled starting from the fact it's called the Divas division and going from there.

However, I don't get the same feeling of boredom when it comes to singles wrestlers, so I think I just don't like tag teams that much except when they consist of two defined characters or at least two people who look different and have different mannerisms. A good example of this is Hideo and Balor right now - I'm much more interested in them by default because they are singles wrestlers working a tag team, as opposed to their recent opponents the Ascension who are two sides of the same coin and therefore not interesting.

Luke Harper and Rowan were a strange case in that they are two sides of the same coin and I was still interested in them both - although they did look different and have different mannerisms, the gimmick was still broadly 'crazy hick' for both. And they're both white so maybe that's some racism in me. And now I'm interested in them both that they are singles wrestlers although surprisingly my interest in Rowan has risen while my interest in Harper has kinda dwindled which is just to do with booking Harper as a shitface authority heel lately which is an angle that I think has been milked out for months.

I think I've said a bunch of things which are interesting to me on their own but this is a disjointed post just basically saying I don't like tag teams, and I'm probably guilty of dismissing certain teams more because I think they are just WWE's idea of an ethnicity-based gimmick and think that's enough to sell them, and it isn't really.

I can't think of any wrestler I've ever been excited to watch who has been defined first by their ethnicity and had their persona built around that. The situation with the WWE is that, in general, it is the white american guys who get to have their personality first and their ethnicity or even just cultural background second. Stone Cold is a fringe case, since a lot of it is just redneck, and The Rock is a major exception since he had so god damn much in the way of language and style, and was taking influences from Elvis and different places all over the spectrum, but generally, white American guys get to be a person where as other kinds of wrestlers often just get to be whatever it is that makes them not white and American first.

xTOOLx

Just got in from PWG. It was fucking insane. My first PWG event and I am definitely going to every one from now on. Just a few quick notes:

*Adam Cole is THE FUCKING MAN.
*the WWE needs to sign Uhaa Nation yesterday.
*Brian Cage is HUGE in person.
*Candice LeRae is super cute and talented.
*Kyle O'Reilly needs to chill with all the jiu-jitsu moves. Speaking as a jiu-jitsu practitioner, it's just not believable at all.
*Why is Ricochet not in NXT right now? He's amazing.
*Chris Hero is not as tubby as he has looked in some pictures.

I met John Morrison(Mundo). He sat from row next to the 4 Horsewomen (minus Ronda Rousey). Great guy. Talked to him while in line for the bar, told him that I enjoyed his work and he thanked me and extended his hand, which I shook.

Me and my brother in law met Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae at In-N-Out after the show. They were so nice and we were sure not to look like a couple of goofs. Just told them it was an awesome show and thanked them.

Overall, it was a great night.

Yeah MNW is starting to repeat itself at this point, still got some great content in them though. Would have preferred slower, more in depth episodes chronologically but I can understand them wanting to have the quick recap episodes up front to get people hyped.

Just got in from PWG. It was fucking insane. My first PWG event and I am definitely going to every one from now on. Just a few quick notes:

*Kyle O'Reilly needs to chill with all the jiu-jitsu moves. Speaking as a jiu-jitsu practitioner, it's just not believable at all.

I met John Morrison(Mundo). He sat from row next to the 4 Horsewomen (minus Ronda Rousey). Great guy. Talked to him while in line for the bar, told him that I enjoyed his work and he thanked me and extended his hand, which I shook.

Me and my brother in law met Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae at In-N-Out after the show. They were so nice and we were sure not to look like a couple of goofs. Just told them it was an awesome show and thanked them.

Nice sounds awesome. Looking forward to seeing Cage in Lucha Underground soon (I assume you already know Ricochet is Puma too).

Toki767

jdCHIbvubsJvc.PNG

Cena the master strategist.

Sounds like Cole and O'Reilly are done now with PWG due to their ROH contracts </3

bjork

Sexy Cholo is an awesome name.

I don't understand how Punk can leave, get a settlement, and then get the non compete clause dropped, but Rey has been stuck for 2 years and is somehow unable to leave.

I remember reading something awhile back about how his deal is structured in a way to where if he misses time for an injury, the expiration date extends that much further. So if you're out on Jan 1 but you miss 6 months before that, you're now out July 1. I can't imagine it being something that would stand up in court, but is it worth going to court when the royalty checks keep rolling in as you sit home and rest?

Alucard

Banned

That's wicked, man. And yes, Adam Cole is superb. Welcome aboard, bay-bay.

I'd love to check out a PWG show at some point. Looks like a ton of fun live.

Alucard

Banned
I also laughed at the name "Sexretary" for Lana. So on the nose and juvenile. Couldn't help but chuckle, especially with Lana's character.

Fox318

usos are fucking garbage, i used to think they were great but when you pay attention you realize their matches are literally the same shit over and over

samoan drop, suicide dive (which they eat shit on most of the time), 50 superkicks, top rope splash

every fucking time
at least they are working with the miz.

Which means they might die when he doesn't catch them.

Finn Balor's entrance is pretty dope but I cant help but think was shitty gimmick Vince is going to give him when he moves up.

I am thinking a comedy character like a Boogieman 2.0

Pro tip: Finn Balor's theme is fantastic washing up music.

What a mark.

My mother loves the Usos. When I went to Extreme Rules, I bought her an Usos shirt. She loves Roman Reigns, too. She used to love The Rock back in the day.

I guess my mother loves Samoans.

Showaddy

Finn Balor's entrance is pretty dope but I cant help but think was shitty gimmick Vince is going to give him when he moves up.

I am thinking a comedy character like a Boogieman 2.0

The only way he's not getting teamed up with Sheamus and/or stuck in a comedy gimmick is if he turns heel and sticks to HHH like glue.

Xater

What a mark.

My mother loves the Usos. When I went to Extreme Rules, I bought her an Usos shirt. She loves Roman Reigns, too. She used to love The Rock back in the day.

Oh yeah she does....

I feel already bad about this.

What a mark.

I see why the Usos are so great at live events, because that match they keep putting on *is* great. Of course it gets the live audience excited. Of course they buy T shirts. When a stipulation forces them to mix things up (like the best of three falls match earlier this year) they can put on interesting matches.

But when stipulations aren't forcing them into changing things up, they aren't changing things up. Their characters are pretty much non existent. They don't show any unique personality traits. I mean, no wonder they play up that one of them is married to Naomi because it's literally the only thing that we're given to set one apart from the other.

They need to develop more individual styles. They need to develop two distinct personalities. They need to not just keep putting on the same match again and again and again. And no, having Jimmy do the hot tag instead of Jay doesn't count as switching things up. Not until they're remotely distinct from one another.

If you regularly watch them on TV they get boring fast. If you regularly went to live events, I bet they'd get boring there too.

edit:

That Regal promo they put on youtube. I only watched it this morning and I'm sure people here have already been talking about it, but I'm glad I didn't miss it, so I'm linking it here incase anyone else hasn't yet seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcLDFntJ4I

It's such a shame he fucked up his chance at a title run. It would have been one for the ages.

Alucard

Banned
Adam Cole was injured at final battle

Also,New PWG CHAMP
Roderick Strong

That's too bad. :( As a selfish fan, I really hope he'll be able to do the March 1st PPV in Las Vegas.

Adam Cole was one of the MVPS of 2014. Certainly within ROH at least.

And good for Roderick. Dude is the ultimate CAW imo, but there's no denying his ability.

Top Bottom