• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I'd give Noel the mandible claw any day.
161617.jpg

Missed the end of Raw. Did Rowan wrestled in the main event? Just curious cause he took a nasty shot to the head with the metal step earlier against Shoe

I never knew that Tony Schiovanne signed off the infamous Bash at the Beach '96 with

"For Bobby Heenan, Dusty Rhodes, I'm Tony Schiovanne....Hulk Hogan you can go to hell. Good night everybody"

Decent podcast, although there were more times I wish I could have punched Vince in his face during that interview, but overall not bad. The state of WWE doesn't look very good however.

Omega

Banned
Vince is weird. You can tell he still enjoys doing this but he's lying to himself if he doesn't think he's out of touch.

People loved Punk. He was never given the proper stage. go talk about 434 day reign but titles don't mean shit any more. he was always second fiddle to Lord Cena

Cesaro was over as fuck around wrestlemania with the whole real americans thing and his in ring ability.

post WM 29 (i think) when Ziggy cashed in, the crowd went fuckin nuts but you fucked that up.

People enjoyed Ambrose and Rollins but you screw that up and ruin both of their careers pretty much.

and to top it all off, you think a man 12 years ago is the last person that "wanted" it. His fucking hard on for Cena is ridiculous and the man is delusional if he tries to tell himself otherwise. Even worse is trying to convince us that he's not delusional.

There's been plenty of people that wanted it and plenty of people that the crowd got behind but their name wasn't John Cena so fuck them.

oh and you can't over expose people like Sting and Brock because the people get tired of them. Nice try. you've had no problem overexposing Cena. He says "how many times can you see Brock beat up babyfaces" gee i don't know, how many times can you see Cena beat up heels and overcome the "odds"

your broke ass just doesn't want to pay Brock for more appearances and Sting probably laughed in your face when he decided to finally let you cash in on him.

Austin was getting a legit point across, saying too many guys were afraid to rock the boat because there was no competition. Back in his days, if someone stepped up and wanted to do something and the office said, "Fuck off, bye," they could just go to the other promotions. Now, if someone does that and they say, "Fuck off, bye," their career is essentially over.

But of course, Vince blames it on them being millennials who are afraid of failure, so they just maintain the status quo.

Stone Cold and Colt Cabana are the MVPs of wrestling this year. The most compelling storyline in forever is due to podcasts. Who even needs wrestling in the WWE anymore, NJPW can handle that.

I ONLY WANT DRAMA AND SCOOPS VIA PODCAST

You needed to watch 4 years of WWE programming to get the full effect, pal.

Hands down the best thing on the Network since it has launched. You want subs? Do more stuff like that. Engaging original content. Give me an interview like that with Hunter, Stephanie, anybody. Hell, how about every week you have Austin do this with different people from the company (wrestlers, backstage, etc)? Easy content that would be great to watch.

Um, Michael Cole does a weekly interview show.

Some guys don't need that shit. Goldberg was over like a motherfucker with no character and was the WCW World Champion without saying a goddamn word. He seriously had never spoken on the mic before he won the title and everybody and their mother were wearing Goldberg shirts.

Cesaro was over as fuck at WM30. The Giant Swing had reached People's Elbow levels of hype. And they squandered it. It's not because he doesn't have it or because he's Swiss or because he's a millennial. End of story.

He had his own private dressing room, pyro, and smoke breathing.

Reflecting on both interviews now, as well as various industry analyst's feedback, looking at how the company is structured, and looking at history, both long-term and recent, I think the picture of the WWE is pretty clear.

Austin is clearly a little out-of-touch with the current structure of the WWE. When he was there, it was still a business where there were at least the shadows of other systems. The current WWE system was forged in a world where only the WWE exists to any meaningful degree. It's completely different.

So when Austin repeatedly talks about guys "climbing the ladder," he's missing the point entirely. THERE IS NO LADDER. Talent is slotted.

This is the way WWE wants to do things because it's the natural evolution of what you do when the "New York-style" booking philosophy is the only dominant player and has to develop it's own talent. In the New York-style, you center the whole company on one babyface, and he's at the top of the pyramid, and everybody else and every storyline is the base for that guy. So naturally, you pick that "chosen one," and slot guys to fill positions on that base.

You don't WANT "ladder climbing." That's disruptive to the strategy. That's why Vince talking about millennials not being ambitious and not grabbing the brass ring or whatever is pure smokescreen. They don't want guys like that.

How do we know? Look at how they hire and do developmental for the ordinary, not-yet-world-famous guys. First thing they do in tryouts, before they even give you a contract, is make sure you are pliable. I know guys who have gone through tryouts. The thing they hammer most of all is not that they are looking for great athletes (you kinda have to be one at that point) or great wrestlers (they kinda don't care if you have other qualities) what they hammer over and over is that they are looking to see how "coachable" you are. In other words, they want people who do exactly what they are told as much as possible.

If that's what you recruit, that's what you are going to get. And you only recruit that if that's what you truly want, when you're the WWE and can have anybody you want.

So don't give me this bullshit about millennials not grabbing the brass ring.

Sure, the WWE can change. But they aren't going to change much. They aren't going to start booking Southern-style with a great wall of heel characters on top and babyfaces chasing after the gold. THAT'S how you get super-ambitious brass ring grabbers in droves. But that's also how you get disruptive, "difficult to work with" guys too. The WWE isn't into that.

These "millennials" probably wouldn't be any different than wrestlers in the past, if they had come up in a different system. If there was a ladder to climb, there would be guys climbing it. But the ladder simply doesn't exist. These guys know it. So why do something that's going to get you fired?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the interview right now and it's crazy how all over the place Vince is. He wants someone who can take risks and not be afraid to fail, but also says not to piss anyone off because there's no where else for you to go. He wants wrestlers to get themselves over but he doesn't want them shooting down bad creative ideas because it'd be "anarchy".

He agrees things aren't going great right now, but never once does he even hint that creative made even one mistake in that circumstance.

zychi

Banned
Youtube or soundcloud link to the austin podcast/interview?

Also was raw good this week? Listened to punks interview today finally and i hate the system now :/

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Reflecting on both interviews now, as well as various industry analyst's feedback, looking at how the company is structured, and looking at history, both long-term and recent, I think the picture of the WWE is pretty clear.

Austin is clearly a little out-of-touch with the current structure of the WWE. When he was there, it was still a business where there were at least the shadows of other systems. The current WWE system was forged in a world where only the WWE exists to any meaningful degree. It's completely different.

So when Austin repeatedly talks about guys "climbing the ladder," he's missing the point entirely. THERE IS NO LADDER. Talent is slotted.

This is the way WWE wants to do things because it's the natural evolution of what you do when the "New York-style" booking philosophy is the only dominant player and has to develop it's own talent. In the New York-style, you center the whole company on one babyface, and he's at the top of the pyramid, and everybody else and every storyline is the base for that guy. So naturally, you pick that "chosen one," and slot guys to fill positions on that base.

You don't WANT "ladder climbing." That's disruptive to the strategy. That's why Vince talking about millennials not being ambitious and not grabbing the brass ring or whatever is pure smokescreen. They don't want guys like that.

How do we know? Look at how they hire and do developmental for the ordinary, not-yet-world-famous guys. First thing they do in tryouts, before they even give you a contract, is make sure you are pliable. I know guys who have gone through tryouts. The thing they hammer most of all is not that they are looking for great athletes (you kinda have to be one at that point) or great wrestlers (they kinda don't care if you have other qualities) what they hammer over and over is that they are looking to see how "coachable" you are. In other words, they want people who do exactly what they are told as much as possible.

If that's what you recruit, that's what you are going to get. And you only recruit that if that's what you truly want, when you're the WWE and can have anybody you want.

So don't give me this bullshit about millennials not grabbing the brass ring.

Sure, the WWE can change. But they aren't going to change much. They aren't going to start booking Southern-style with a great wall of heel characters on top and babyfaces chasing after the gold. THAT'S how you get super-ambitious brass ring grabbers in droves. But that's also how you get disruptive, "difficult to work with" guys too. The WWE isn't into that.

These "millennials" probably wouldn't be any different than wrestlers in the past, if they had come up in a different system. If there was a ladder to climb, there would be guys climbing it. But the ladder simply doesn't exist. These guys know it. So why do something that's going to get you fired?

Very good points, but it makes me think Vince's logic about there being multiple main events, and him repeatedly talking about how WWE has to cater to so many different crowds.

New York style booking does get its Rock v Cena main event for the people that just want to see the one main character have his story, but CM Punk vs Undertaker is it's own event that has nothing to do with cena in any way, and is solely there for people that don't want to see Cena as the sole main character.

So maybe he does want people to be like CM Punk and climb the ladder, its just that his top of the ladder is the secondary main event, that wont get as much attention or pay as much money as the one true main event, but still represents a main event for a specific audience. It's just that audience isn't quite as important as the audience that wants the superhero to overcome the odds.

At least that's how I interpret the crazy twisted mind of Vince McMahon

MG310

I want to defend Cesaro to no end but all I can think of is the "Where did you get those shoes Cena....from K-Mart?" promo.

Top Bottom