• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Gonzalez

Banned
What is throwing you off? Seems like Vince agreed to do one more but this one will be on Podcast One and not the Network. I like this because it means Steve can kinda editorialize it at the beginning and the end and give some thoughts on the actual answers he got.
He can also shill for shit that he couldn't do on the Network like FanDuel, Waffle Bars, and Man Milk.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best parts of SCSAs Vince shoot was that there were no commercial breaks, God damn it. Enjoyable.

I'd laugh a whole lot if Steve manages to get Vince to read an ad sheet in his classic voice.

ONNIT DOT COM...YOUVE GOTTA WANT IT'

Ithil

I really wish Austin would have specifically brought up Daniel Bryan, just to see the sheer bullshit Vince would have said about their refusal to push him. After all the "this generation is just lazy, it's not my fault!" and the they can't get over, I listen to the fans, I'm in touch, I want an extraordinary talent, it's never about what I want it's about what the fans want, etc.

It's also amazing how Vince said there wasn't more wrestling on RAW because wrestling matches on their own are boring without a story. Yet Bryan got over first just by doing great matches (his super overness came from other stuff later) as did Cesaro at the start of the year, and the majority of matches on RAW, Vince's "variety show action drama with STORIES", are complete filler with zero storyline to make you care about them, including the main events.

I really wish Austin would have specifically brought up Daniel Bryan, just to see the sheer bullshit Vince would have said about their refusal to push him. After all the "this generation is just lazy, it's not my fault!" and the they can't get over, I listen to the fans, I'm in touch, I want an extraordinary talent, it's never about what I want it's about what the fans want, etc.

He'd have just said 'we did listen to the fans. Bryan main evented WrestleMania and won!'

I mean obviously they ignored them for a while. Even tried to get them to stop cheering for Bryan, arguably, but I do think that switched to a work before even the Rumble. I think that the long term plan was to eventually have Bryan become the champ proper, even if they weren't going to do it at Mania.

The constant teasing and taking away of him being 'the' guy wasn't random.

Bowser

What is throwing you off? Seems like Vince agreed to do one more but this one will be on Podcast One and not the Network. I like this because it means Steve can kinda editorialize it at the beginning and the end and give some thoughts on the actual answers he got.

Yeah I just wasn't quite sure if Vince agreed to round 2 because it seemed a bit vague. Hope it's just as open/honest as the Network one was.

bjork

Austin does second podcast, decides Vince is out of touch. Appears on Raw to resurrect the power trip, siding with HHH. Vince goes and gets guys to stop them from pushing him out. Austin/HHH v Hogan/Sting at WM. CM Punk as guest referee. Ghost of Macho Man as the timekeeper.

Xater

Has anyone subbed to the NJPW stream site yet? Interested in the quality before i bite on it. Also, any suggestions on matches/ppvs to dive into?

There is a couple of us that subscribed. Quality is good. Not HD but better than the shit you usually find on Dailymotion. There is also a demo video during the registration process you can try out.

Fox318

Ue4JwpV.jpg

Kaladin

I can listen to Vince talk about the business all day, whether he's shooting or dodging. It's easy to read which he's doing btw because he's a very emotive person. You can see him thinking. Steve tried to hide it, but he was getting frustrated with Vince taking over the interview with his stories, but at the same point, Steve just let him go a lot. He realized that this chance doesn't come often so he kinda let Vince have the ball and run with it to see what happened.

I liked Vince's approach to the Punk question. He apologized for the wedding day thing, and looked very human in his approach to the rest of the question. I agree that they probably need a Jim Ross between himself, Punk and HHH. They are in desperate need of a good talent relations manager.

Vince dodged Stone Cold's accusation that he's out of touch, but he is right about the roster. The current roster has a lot of players who are great and are ready, but aren't at that next level. At the same time though, he says Cena is the last one who obtained that and at the same time, you could argue that the company (and Vince himself) puts Cena on such a pedestal that no other superstar can reach it.

I kinda want to see some superstar take Stone Cold's challenge to the roster at heart and try to take themselves to the next level, do everything they can to get in touch with the crowd and see how Vince reacts now when they have a superstar that clearly reaches for the brass ring.

I liked Vince's discussion on Cesaro. He talked about trying to find the right fit, the right package to bring out the "it" factor in a superstar. Some guys have it naturally and other guys like Cesaro have the ring skills and strength, but don't connect as well with the audience. He needs to rethink his creative process though, the team isn't working. Either get some new talent in there or take it down to a core group of bookers.

I liked that they threw kayfabe out the window. It was refreshing. I hope we get more of these on the Network as I would rather watch the interview instead of listen to it on a podcast.

Xater

It's also amazing how Vince said there wasn't more wrestling on RAW because wrestling matches on their own are boring without a story. Yet Bryan got over first just by doing great matches (his super overness came from other stuff later) as did Cesaro at the start of the year, and the majority of matches on RAW, Vince's "variety show action drama with STORIES", are complete filler with zero storyline to make you care about them, including the main events.

Oh yeah that was ridiculous. You can tell a story just by great in ring performances. When I went to an indie show I didn't read up on all the storylines. I got all I needed out of the matches. Same goes for New Japan. My Japanese is nowhere good enough to understand everything but just the in ring stuff keeps me interested.

bjork

you could argue that the company (and Vince himself) puts Cena on such a pedestal that no other superstar can reach it.

There's not even an argument there, really. Has anyone else ever been on such elevated status? At least Hulk would do an injury angle or something to make the story at least seem like an uncertainty. Cena's entire character is all the worst bits of Austin's first title run with the dial cranked to about 700.

Has anyone subbed to the NJPW stream site yet? Interested in the quality before i bite on it. Also, any suggestions on matches/ppvs to dive into?

bootaaay has. He even posted a guide earlier in the thread.

I have heard nothing but good things so far. Not to sure how much content is on there. I know they have everything from 2011 to now. Prior to that, I think it is just bits and pieces but the main stuff might be there. Do we know if the old G1 tourneys are shown in full?

Xater

There's not even an argument there, really. Has anyone else ever been on such elevated status? At least Hulk would do an injury angle or something to make the story at least seem like an uncertainty. Cena's entire character is all the worst bits of Austin's first title run with the dial cranked to about 700.

Hogan really is the only comparison I can think of.

Austin said on last week's podcast that the Vince interview was going to be on his show a week to ten days after it aired on the Network. So he's probably just talking about the audio version, though he did imply that he wanted to save a story for the the podcast before Vince extended the show. So maybe there's some extra stuff in there.

styl3s

There is a couple of us that subscribed. Quality is good. Not HD but better than the shit you usually find on Dailymotion. There is also a demo video during the registration process you can try out.
I am skimming through now looking for a match to watch.

I wonder why they didn't launch the site in english as well because from what i hear the ippv stuff sells really well here in the states. Aside from a few of those i haven't gotten the opportunity to watch any japanese wrestling because i won't pirate it and the quality you get from something like youtube/dailymotion is such garbage i would rather not watch it. Now, if only ROH would do this.

Xater

I am skimming through now looking for a match to watch.

I wonder why they didn't launch the site in english as well because from what i hear the ippv stuff sells really well here in the states. Aside from a few of those i haven't gotten the opportunity to watch any japanese wrestling because i won't pirate it and the quality you get from something like youtube/dailymotion is such garbage i would rather not watch it. Now, if only ROH would do this.

Use Bootaay's list of cool matches as a starting point: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit#gid=0

It's a list in progress but there is already lots of cool shit on it.

The first words out of Vince's mouth were "The Network is doing great, subscriptions are good". So then why believe anything else he was gonna say after that.

Pretty much. Also apparently:

He didn't listen to Punk's podcast (perhaps, but he knows every damn word that was said, so that was just semantics)
He didn't try and kill off the territories (Bullshit)
Nobody since Cena had the ambition to go for the "brass ring" (Bullshit)
He blames a lawyer for the Punk firing on his wedding day (Bullshit, as Meltzer said, HHH is in charge of talent relations not a lawyer)
etc...

I sort of get him with Cesaro. He just doesn't have a ton of charsima. Even though Bryan and Reigns don't have much by way of mic skills either, they have charisma in other ways, through their look, with Bryan the whole David vs Goliath thing he has going against most WWE stars makes him likable. With Reigns it's probably just looks (like Orton). He looks like if the guy from Sons of Anarchy had sex with the wolf kid from Twilight. Women are going to love this guy even though he's probably right now Test with a tan.

I thought Vince was on point about Cesaro as well. He lacks a personality, something that sets him apart from other wrestlers. The guy is very talented in the ring no doubt, but overall he is just another wrestler.

Charisma/personality can be attained away from the mic. Look at Rusev, he doesn't talk much either but the guy has a personality. Its the little things - the way he gets pissed off at U-S-A chants, the way he sells injury, the way he carries that menacing look. None of which I have seen Cesaro ever do.

Personally, I came out liking Vince way more after this interview. The public perception has always been that Vince is out of touch, is senile and way in over his head... but I got none of that from everything he said. He definitely talked the talk. He was calm, logical, and made sense. Now was that just lip service? I have no idea.

zychi

Banned

Punk said that he almost dropped the title to db to feud with the rock. Db was always going to get a push, but i think punk leaving and the fans getting behind db made vince give him the main event of mania

Sephzilla

Agreed. Cena surpassed Hogan-level protection a while ago in my opinion. Even fucking Hogan would have sold the Brock/SummerSlam beat down for longer than a god damn week.

Kaladin

You know, I was just thinking.

If we see Cesaro make some big push to be the guy that answer's Stone Cold's challenge, I would bet that part of the podcast where he challenged the roster and specifically mentioned Cesaro is a work.

Or maybe it's just part of me wishing we'd get something better with Cesaro.

Cagey

Banned
Oh yeah that was ridiculous. You can tell a story just by great in ring performances. When I went to an indie show I didn't read up on all the storylines. I got all I needed out of the matches. Same goes for New Japan. My Japanese is nowhere good enough to understand everything but just the in ring stuff keeps me interested.

It's not ridiculous at all. You're a distinct minority of the WWE audience, whether viewing on television or attending shows (which isn't just Raw or PPVs in smart mark cities; that includes house shows, Smackdown tapings, etc.)

WWE pumps out a 3 hour RAW, a 1 hour NXT, a 2 hour Smackdown, and that Superstars show every week. That's an incredible amount of television. Within that is an incredible amount of wrestling.

You can tell a story in the ring alone. Sure. Awesome. Given the sheer volume of wrestling put out each week, it becomes dreadfully boring, nearly indistinguishable from the random good matches without storyline relevancy, and fatigue from all the content makes it impossible to sit through.

Xater

It's not ridiculous at all. You're a distinct minority of the WWE audience, whether viewing on television or attending shows (which isn't just Raw or PPVs in smart mark cities; that includes house shows, Smackdown tapings, etc.)

WWE pumps out a 3 hour RAW, a 1 hour NXT, a 2 hour Smackdown, and that Superstars show every week. That's an incredible amount of television. Within that is an incredible amount of wrestling.

You can tell a story in the ring alone. Sure. Awesome. Given the sheer volume of wrestling put out each week, it becomes dreadfully boring, nearly indistinguishable from the random good matches without storyline relevancy, and fatigue from all the content makes it impossible to sit through.

And people talking for 30 minutes without any purpose make this better how?

Cagey

Banned
And people talking for 30 minutes without any purpose make this better how?

Contrived dualism. There's no singular alternative to telling stories in-ring, let alone that alternative being a 30 minute meandering mess from Seth Rollins and John Cena.

Sid

I'm surprised Vince didn't mention Ziggler in that brass ring comment especially after his recent performance.........

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was watching Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano for Big Egg Universe over the WWF womens' title, and Madusa got a big elaborate entrance. Which I think is the only time I've ever seen an American womens' wrestler get one. She came out with a swarm of motorcycles which was cool. Bull did this Brock lock type thing into an inverted sharpshooter(without the chickenwing) into a surfboard stretch. Was a really cool sequence, but it's not really giffable.
bullpiledriverhwutz.gif

Nice safe pildriver by Bull. Madusa intentionally messes up Bull's hair which it's like I didn't even know you could do that. Bull fixes it afterwards which is a pretty fun spot. The match definitely has a rough edge around it that you expert of joshi matches of the era, but Bull really shows she could have been big anywhere. Not only because of her unique look and wrestling ability but the fact that the match LOOKS violent, but you watch more of it and you'll notice Bull is fairly safe with Madusa(comparatively I mean). She's also an incredibly charismatic woman that translates real well in front of the camera. Probably one of the best facial reaction wrestlers of all time.
bullscorpiondeathgwui6.gif

Give it a look if anyone's interested. I like it better than their WWF matches. I think it's a really good introduction to that style of wrestling because it's a style your familiar with and a style that isn't to a lot of people. and it helps that I think Bull can do either style(the old school American womens' wrestling and the Joshi old school American mans wrestling inspired style)
bullddt0uuv8.gif

Top Bottom