• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

strobogo

Banned
Who is someone you guys grew up watching, but never fully appreciated much later on in life? Thanks to things like the Network and youtube etc; it's easier to reflect on the product(s) of the past, so I'm just kinda curious. For me it's probably Crash Holly, dude is absolutely gold, I don't know how I didn't eat up his work when I was growing up.

And who is someone (past or currently) that you didn't like whatsoever, but has won you over? Rusev is someone that springs to mind at this point in time.

As a kid I was a dumb dumb and thought Paul Orndorff and Bobby Eaton sucked. I was an idiot. They're both DOPE. But as a kid I always really liked Arn and Tully, so I can't figure out why I wouldn't have liked WONDERFUL YOU KNOW HE IS SO WONDERFULLLLLLLLLLLLL or Eaton.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who is someone you guys grew up watching, but never fully appreciated much later on in life? Thanks to things like the Network and youtube etc; it's easier to reflect on the product(s) of the past, so I'm just kinda curious. For me it's probably Crash Holly, dude is absolutely gold, I don't know how I didn't eat up his work when I was growing up.

And who is someone (past or currently) that you didn't like whatsoever, but has won you over? Rusev is someone that springs to mind at this point in time.

Another vote for Bobby Eaton here. I just didn't get it when I was younger. Same goes for Bob Backlund. God, I hated him - and I was so, so wrong.

Alucard

Banned
So, Shinsuke Nakamura just jumped into my Fave Ten.

NakamuraShibata.gif

Fox318

Yes he was. He was pretty jacked from the time he was a teenager until his last angle with Legacy. You just could never tell because he was always covered up. Kind of like how no one noticed Vince was huge for like 20 years.
Regardless I don't want a McMahon in the ring anymore.

Steph can hold her own still compared to the shit divas roster they have but she is 38.

After this month I want the show to go without a gm figure for a while.

Since Brett screwed Brett its been the only consistent thing in wrestling.

Have the fucking announcing team announce the matches and stories to the viewers at home and just have an announcer announce fights in the arena.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are we talking OG Backlund or Cross face Chicken Wing Mr Backlund?

I would have hated OG Backlund as a kid had I seen him. It was Chicken Wing Backlund when I was young. Both are mega-dope.

These guys I hated as a kid because they were all heels. But now when I go back and watch them again I can truly appreciate just how great they are.

Rick Rude
Flair
Barry Windham
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard

strobogo

Banned
Another vote for Bobby Eaton here. I just didn't get it when I was younger. Same goes for Bob Backlund. God, I hated him - and I was so, so wrong.

Oh yeah definitely. Love watching 70s/80s Backlund. WoooooAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOoooooOWWWWAAAAAHHHOOOOOoooooOOOoooooOOWWWWAAAAAOOOOAAAAHHHhhhoooooo.

Eddie Guerrero.

It wasn't until he passed away that I realized how much I actually liked him.

Maybe Ambrose for the second question. I was hoping Seth Rollins would be the star coming out of Shield but I don't really mind Ambrose. too bad he didn't try hard enough to reach the brass ring so I don't really care about him that much

Yeah, Eddie was kinda the same for me too, actually. I loved Benoit and I had a buddy that liked Eddie, and yeah, after Eddie passed, I missed all the antics, even if it seemed like he was coming up on the twilight of his professional career anyways. Wish he had one proper last run. I still have his last match with Kennedy embedded in me for some reason. And the Vickie send-off was actually kinda sweet.

One thing I really liked about the Shield split angle, was the fact that they were always teasing that Ambrose would be the heel, and whenever anyone talked about the split it was always about how Seth would be a great face, but he really has done a good job with being the top heel at the moment. Not much for him to work with, really, but he's doing the best he can. I always liked Ambrose the most and wanted him to be the breakout star, so much momentum just.. crushed with the movie, stupid comedy bullshit and being stuck with Bray. Didn't Vince mention both Ambrose and Bray in a group of some of the current performers trying to reach for those brass rings..?

As a kid I was a dumb dumb and thought Paul Orndorff and Bobby Eaton sucked. I was an idiot. They're both DOPE. But as a kid I always really liked Arn and Tully, so I can't figure out why I wouldn't have liked WONDERFUL YOU KNOW HE IS SO WONDERFULLLLLLLLLLLLL or Eaton.

I really wish I had the network. I've always been interested in going back to some older stuff and seeing more WCW. I grew up in the 90's, was around for most of the Attitude Era and stuck around till around when Benoit died, got bored and went through a "wrestling is lame" phase in high school, and coming back around when Jericho did, before getting burnt out on Cena/Orton era.

Buuut, being a filthy Canadian, we have a shit version of the network. I also want to get into the Japanese stuff, but I don't really have much of an expendable budget, and I have no clue where to look or start with that stuff, honestly.

Sephzilla

A wrestler I definitely didn't get because I was too young was Jake The Snake. Going back and watching his old stuff now, he's TMF

And you know what that smells like? Money.

Follow the money.

Great advice in general. Money is great. Follow the money and hopefully get money, money is power, power is fun, fun is life. I like money.

What is everyone's "Legit Shook™" Moment of the Year?

Lesnar giving Cena a million German suplexes left me legit shook. Didn't expect that at all. Made me all vincelovesmuscles.gif.

Lord Steven Regal is another underappreciated guy. He was so damn good

He's someone I hated when I was growing up. I wish I appreciated him more when he was relevant. But honestly, I think it's a testament to his work as a heel that pissed me off when I was a kid.

Also, I later just hated him because he took Jamie Noble's
my
woman. : (

I've always had a thing for Layla. I think she's under appreciated whenever it comes to talking about attractive women in the WWE.

Sephzilla

Brock pinning Taker should be the Legit Shook Moment of the year and there shouldn't even be any other nominees.

That moment alone got its own fucking OT thread.

It was still a bad decision too.

Fox318

Brock pinning Taker should be the Legit Shook Moment of the year and there shouldn't even be any other nominees.

Other then not giving it to punk the year before how was it a bad decision ?

Vince not having any fucking money was the worst part about it. They fucking wasted matches with the big show and HHH with Brock.

Brock should have been a fucking monster when he was brought back. Borderline squash matches for every fucking match. You build the guy up so that fans go into a match with a built up challenger so that people say "I don't know who's gonna win this. Despite blank winning against other guys in those ppvs Brock is Brock."

strobogo

Banned
LegitShook of the year

1.Taker's streak

2.Rollins turn
3.Warrior's speech on Raw/Warrior passing

Warrior's dead right after Raw CRUSHED me. More than any wrestling death or even family death. That shit hit me hard as fuck, completely unexpectedly. I'm not sure it would have had the same impact as if he hadn't JUST been back. That shit had me a mess for at least 3 days.

Sephzilla

Other then not giving it to punk the year before how was it a bad decision ?

Vince not having any fucking money was the worst part about it. They fucking wasted matches with the big show and HHH with Brock.

Brock should have been a fucking monster when he was brought back. Borderline squash matches for every fucking match. You build the guy up so that fans go into a match with a built up challenger so that people say "I don't know who's gonna win this. Despite blank winning against other guys in those ppvs Brock is Brock."

I had an issue with the Streak ending to a fellow part timer who already walked away from the company once. I didn't feel like he earned that rub especially when HBK and HHH botH counted lights for Taker just years prior, and both of them deserved it more.

On top of that the build up to that match was awful and Brock wasn't made to look strong at all. So him winning felt like a stupid last second Vince rewrite. Which it was.

That and Taker losing fucking murdered the crowd for the first half of the WM30 main event. They didn't wake up until the RKO/Batista Bomb spot

I honestly have no clue who I would've booked to end the streak. I was thinking just let the man retire with it. They just can't be that stupid to put Cena over Brock, Cena has already accomplished so much, there's nothing for him to gain from beating Lesnar, the man who ended it all. Hell, even if it's Roman that does it, at least it's an instant push over the moon. No matter how much I don't care for Reigns, it's the lesser of two evils as far as Cena's concerned.

"He stopped the tyrant Brock Lesnar, conquered the man that conquered the streak, king!"
qZc9RV3.gif

Penguin

Wow this week's Monday Night Wars... featured an interview with Bischoff that wasn't on the same Raw set... granted still old, but different!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Warrior's sudden passing after an incredible weekend and Monday was definitely more shookin me than Taker's loss. Don't get me wrong, Taker losing took the breath out of the room and arena, but Warrior's death was just unbelievable.

Sephzilla

Taker probably should have retired with The Streak, honestly. For all of the things Taker did for WWE he earned the right to keep it.

If you have anyone end The Streak it's a young up and comer. I honestly can't think of too many people right now who could really do anything with that rub. Only guy I can think of is Bray Wyatt, given that he has the closest thing to an Undertaker like gimmick in the modern roster and he's pretty talented.

I figured that it was only a matter of time before this was posted here.

It's... ugh
this straight up killed me

I was watching Mania at my friends house, and he's a big Taker mark. He was shook after that. I thought he was gonna throw us out, or turn it off altogether by breaking his PS4.

Fox318

I had an issue with the Streak ending to a fellow part timer who already walked away from the company once. I didn't feel like he earned that rub especially when HBK and HHH botH counted lights for Taker just years prior, and both of them deserved it more.

On top of that the build up to that match was awful and Brock wasn't made to look strong at all. So him winning felt like a stupid last second Vince rewrite. Which it was.
Other then Cena they were never gonna give it to the regular guys.

Plus they are spending all of that money on Brock and they booked him into a hole with no good opponents.

If they gave Punk a rematch instead of Lesnar then I'd be with you but there was nobody else.

Ithil

Warrior dead two days after burying the hatchet at the Hall of Fame and being all happy there with his family was pretty damn shit.

Sephzilla

Other then Cena they were never gonna give it to the regular guys.

Plus they are spending all of that money on Brock and they booked him into a hole with no good opponents.

If they gave Punk a rematch instead of Lesnar then I'd be with you but there was nobody else.
Just because there's nobody else is not a justifiable excuse in my opinion. The build up was bad. Brock didn't deserve it any more than the full timers, paycheck be damned.

And like I stealth edited into my previous post, the decision to end the streak that way positively killed the crowd until halfway through the main event when they should have been red fucking hot the entire time.

Brock beating Taker was a bad move all around.

Top Bottom