• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

strobogo

Banned
I know WWE logic and everything, but how can a one-night GM make matches for a PPV? Can Seth Green come out on Monday and cancel the ladder match so we get Harper vs. The Bunny?

Harper would MURDER the Bunny. It'd be incredible.

I question some things in the Taker/Sting MNW. Has Taker actually ever been proven to be a draw? Like a mainstream star? He certainly didn't turn business around when he debuted as WWF's business was on a steady decline from 1990-1996. I also think Sting would have been WAY more successful if he had jumped to WWF in 1998/1999 than Taker would have been had he jumped at ANY time to WCW. I think it is for the best neither guy jumped ship, though. I definitely don't see a spot where Taker would have fit in at all in WCW. I mean Bret was a far more natural fit and they could never find a spot for him. Sting in WWF could have been a lot of fun, but I kind of have a hard time seeing him fit in with the shit going on during the Attitude Era. Even when Russo came to WCW, Sting's angles didn't really involve sex and weird shit except for the Vampiro feud.

iT0iqx7oe8oKP.gif

strobogo

Banned
I swear if I have to see one more bray wyatt promo...

he's cut the same promo since before mania.

Hopefully the TLC match gets violent and both try to grab that brass ring. SS match was good shit until the lame finish, which was 100% just to extend it to TLC. They really knocked the shit out of each other at SS.

That lariato was WONDERFUL. Might be the stiffest one since JBL's prime. But then Harper threw a ridiculous one at Rowan in the main event.

Sephzilla

I question some things in the Taker/Sting MNW. Has Taker actually ever been proven to be a draw? Like a mainstream star? He certainly didn't turn business around when he debuted as WWF's business was on a steady decline from 1990-1996. I also think Sting would have been WAY more successful if he had jumped to WWF in 1998/1999 than Taker would have been had he jumped at ANY time to WCW. I think it is for the best neither guy jumped ship, though. I definitely don't see a spot where Taker would have fit in at all in WCW. I mean Bret was a far more natural fit and they could never find a spot for him. Sting in WWF could have been a lot of fun, but I kind of have a hard time seeing him fit in with the shit going on during the Attitude Era. Even when Russo came to WCW, Sting's angles didn't really involve sex and weird shit except for the Vampiro feud.
Regardless of Takers draw power, him jumping to WCW would have been as bad as Hart jumping to WCW. They would misuse the fuck out of Taker.

The nWo should have really ended the might Sting beat Hogan.

Harper would MURDER the Bunny. It'd be incredible.

I question some things in the Taker/Sting MNW. Has Taker actually ever been proven to be a draw? Like a mainstream star? I also think Sting would have been WAY more successful if he had jumped to WWF in 1998/1999 than Taker would have been had he jumped at ANY time to WCW. I think it is for the best neither guy jumped ship, though. I definitely don't see a spot where Taker would have fit in at all in WCW. I mean Bret was a far more natural fit and they could never find a spot for him. Sting in WWF could have been a lot of fun, but I kind of have a hard time seeing him fit in with the shit going on during the Attitude Era. Even when Russo came to WCW, Sting's angles didn't really involve sex and weird shit except for the Vampiro feud.

I don't think Taker is a mainstream draw, honestly. But he's been around for so long, that if a casual viewer has had family that used to watch it, MIGHT tune in because "Oh hey, I used to watch him back in the day when you were a baby!" kinda deal, right? Plus, WWE built Taker up so fucking strong and he has so much just raw as hype behind him, that anyone who actually watches the product, automatically holds him on a pedestal. But really, looking back at who he's defeated for that prestigious, isn't that much of a prestigious list, really.

Flair and HBK are the only real big standouts, and the list has repeats and nerds like Giant Gonzales, Rookie Orton and Pre- Hall of Pain Mark Henry.

WWE did a great job with his overall booking and making him seem like a bigger deal than he really is. In my opinion of course.

Fox318

Regardless of Takers draw power, him jumping to WCW would have been as bad as Hart jumping to WCW. They would misuse the fuck out of Taker.

The nWo should have really ended the night Sting beat Hogan.
nWo was never going to end as long as members had creative control.

Plus the gear was selling for the company.

Its the same problem the WWE has with Cena.

Cena as a mega push should have ended MITB 2011 if not earlier.

Sephzilla

I don't think Taker was ever a massive draw during the Attitude Era but he was always that guy everybody stayed tuned in for. He very rarely wasn't entertaining television.

Hopefully the TLC match gets violent and both try to grab that brass ring. SS match was good shit until the lame finish, which was 100% just to extend it to TLC. They really knocked the shit out of each other at SS.

That lariato was WONDERFUL. Might be the stiffest one since JBL's prime. But then Harper threw a ridiculous one at Rowan in the main event.

yqhjwSb.gif

I honestly have no idea. There's a GAFer Kanokare who claims to use a controller so I would suggest asking him.

I'll lurk the thread for him, but apparently it seems like I wont have much luck anyways. Thanks though : o

I don't think Taker was ever a massive draw during the Attitude Era but he was always that guy everybody stayed tuned in for. He very rarely wasn't entertaining television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEfL-x_Gab0&list=UU8-acRjNbMsbckdmy3y639g

Sephzilla

But really, looking back at who he's defeated for that prestigious, isn't that much of a prestigious list, really.

Flair and HBK are the only real big standouts, and the list has repeats and nerds like Giant Gonzales, Rookie Orton and Pre- Hall of Pain Mark Henry.

WWE did a great job with his overall booking and making him seem like a bigger deal than he really is. In my opinion of course.
HHH, Kane, Batista, Edge, Diesel, Jake Roberts, and Sid weren't big standouts? A few of the names on this list were title matches too.

The early part of The Streak is packed with stinkers but the later half of it is a pretty legit list.

strobogo

Banned
nWo was never going to end as long as members had creative control.

Plus the gear was selling for the company.

Its the same problem the WWE has with Cena.

Cena as a mega push should have ended MITB 2011 if not earlier.

Cena's full on mega push should have ended by 2006 at the latest. Fans had turned on him even before 2005 was over. Shit, he won the title at WM (in a match that had boring chants even though it was like 8 minutes long) and by Summerslam crowds were at LEAST 50/50 if not more against him. The let's go Cena/Cena sucks thing has been going on for 9 and a half years. Imagine if ANYONE had been the top guy for ten years. Hulk kind of was, but his TV appearances were relegated to promos and SNME. He didn't wrestle on TV every week. Cena has. Sometimes more than once in a week. Remember Cena week? I believe it was 2012. It was hyped up because he wrestled on Raw, Main Event, and Smackdown that week.

Fuck, at this year's WM, Cena will have been the top guy for a full 10 years. 10 years. 10 YEARS 10 years of Cena wrestling and winning almost every week. 10 years of Raws and PPVs ending with his music. 10 fucking years. God damn. Imagine if Bruno had wrestled on TV every week for all the entirety of his two title reigns.

HHH, Batista, Edge, Diesel, and Sid weren't big standouts? A few of the names on this list were title matches too.

The early part of The Streak is packed with stinkers but the later half of it is a pretty legit list.

I was never a really big fan of Edge, honestly. and I wasn't really around for Diesel and Sid, and I don't really know if those matches with taker were big fight kinda deals, yanno? He faced HHH like.. three times, it was just kinda tired. And weird how they would mention the first time, and sometimes ignore it entirely. The HIAC match they had was pretty terrible, and I haven't watched the Batista match in a while, but I know everyone seems to love that match, so I probably just let Tister slip my mind. That's my defense Robocop.

Fox318

Cena's full on mega push should have ended by 2006 at the latest. Fans had turned on him even before 2005 was over. Shit, he won the title at WM (in a match that had boring chants even though it was like 8 minutes long) and by Summerslam crowds were at LEAST 50/50 if not more against him. The let's go Cena/Cena sucks thing has been going on for 9 and a half years.
But they repushed him because angle left and because they were prepping Linda for a political career.

They justified it by merch sales but vince sacrificed his company to get 2 democrats elected.

Sephzilla

I was never a really big fan of Edge, honestly. and I wasn't really around for Diesel and Sid, and I don't really know if those matches with taker were big fight kinda deals, yanno? He faced HHH like.. three times, it was just kinda tired. And weird how they would mention the first time, and sometimes ignore it entirely. The HIAC match they had was pretty terrible, and I haven't watched the Batista match in a while, but I know everyone seems to love that match, so I probably just let Tister slip my mind. That's my defense Robocop.
Jake The Snake and CM Punk also are names on the list for The Streak.

I think Takers list of victories is safely legit.

Jake The Snake and CM Punk also are names on the list for The Streak

As much as I LOVE Jake, I don't really feel like he was all that credible yanno? Never held a title ( know all the behind the scenes stuff as to why that was) and I think he was only second on the streak? That's also another match I don't remember all that well, but I think it was kinda bad? I need to watch it again. Was that when Jake was on his way out for the first time..? I guess it's significant in the sense that (I think?) It was Takers first face run too?

Shit, I legit just forgot about Punk, I feel terrible because that was a good match. Okay, maybe the streak wasn't as bad as I originally thought, but it's still kinda spotty to me.

Sephzilla

As much as I dislike Cena I was still kind of interested in the idea of Taker vs Cena for The Streak. Mostly for the spectacle of seeing the guy who never loses at Mania go against the guy who never loses in general. It could have been Hogan/Andre levels of hype and interest to be honest.

But then Cena would win.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that Seth lariat sell / bump is masterful

As much as I dislike Cena I was still kind of interested in the idea of Taker vs Cena for The Streak. Mostly for the spectacle of seeing the guy who never loses at Mania go against the guy who never loses in general. It could have been Hogan/Andre levels of hype and interest to be honest.

But then Cena would win.

I also think they wouldn't be able to help but make Cena heel, if you end the streak, it doesn't matter who you are, people are going to just hate you.

strobogo

Banned
that Seth lariat sell / bump is masterful

That's good, because he did it in every single match they had.

Taker's streak is garbage before WM12. Completely meaningless. So meaningless that they didn't even realize they had a streak going until WM17.

Omega

Banned
They should build up a wrestler who has never won at Wrestlemania and ends up winning a match against a young and upcoming star.

Who fell off worse than Sheamus? He used to be right up there with Orton and Cena for a while. Ever since Del Rio left, he has nobody to feud with. Did he get injured again or does he just have nothing to do at the moment? If he's not injured, it's sad he couldn't even get on team Cena and friends.

Top Bottom