• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic National Primary Debate #1 |Tokyo2016| Rise of Mecha-Godzilla

GAF Definitive Conclusive Scientific Online Poll of Who Won

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And how are the economies going?

Im all for investing in individuals, but its reasonable that individuals should invest in themselves as well.

10 hours with 15 hours in school and 30 hours a week studying is a grand total of 55 hours a week.

Thats super reasonable and less time than you will spend working a week in most professional settings.
Most professional settings have 55 hour work weeks? What?

They are investing in themselves by the very fact they're going to college.

Sanjuro

BERNIE FOR THE WEED!

5YmQaMA.jpg

That was one of the best responses I've ever seen by Hillary on the media bullshit about "SOME people say...."

NO

It's not SOME PEOPLE. It's the REPUBLICANS. Fuck. Thank you Hillary.

Crocodile

Weird, I think Sanders and O'Malley gave a better answer for the maternity leave than Clinton did. Perhaps getting to bounce off her made things easier for them.

The Republican call out was good on her part though.

Money isn't everything. Jep is filled like a goose at christmas and can't get shit done. Bernie got through pretty good with mostly small donours. It's how you use the money.

I don't disagree but its still a self-handicap that could become a big deal if he gets to the general election.

Like, the ten hours thing will hurt her but it really shouldn't
I kind of think it's exactly the opposite way around--it should hurt her, but it won't (too minor of a point to blow up and it's not like truly comprehensive post-secondary education reform is a real possibility anyway). College diplomas today have effectively become the normal expectation for many careers, being today what high school diplomas used to be like 50 years ago. That being the case, college education should be something that everyone has access to without worrying about funding it, so that should be taken care of by having it be funded through taxes.

And thus, just like with high school, there shouldn't be an expectation of having to work during college in order to pay for it so that students can truly focus on giving their all to their education and not have to worry about dividing their attention between their jobs and their education. It's certainly possible to even work a full-time job while going to university full-time: many people do just that and that's admirable. But that shouldn't actually be required in any sense. If people do want to solely focus on their education, and give their all to their university classes, not worrying about dividing their efforts they should be able to do just that without any type of penalty. It's certainly possible to do both, but it shouldn't be required in any sense, and just like we don't require kids in high school to get jobs to fund their secondary education in any sense, we really should do the same for university education as it just makes sense to me that with that reduced stress by being able to fully focus on their education, it will produce better students, just like it does in secondary. Students should perhaps be commended if they to balance work and university at the same time, but it should by no means be an expectation or requirement, so I'm more with Sanders though.

Of course, it's a wash anyway because Sanders reforms probably don't have any chance of getting past Congress even if he wins, but regardless personally I didn't like Clinton's comment because it just sends the wrong message. Yes, it's fine and doable to both work and go to college at the same time, but people should be commended for pursuing post-secondary education to begin with and we should be making that as easy for them as possible, with as few hurdles. Requiring students to work might make the program have a better chance of passing Congress, but has no real benefits for the students themselves and instead is just another hurdle to overcome which ideally wouldn't be there so that students can devote as much of their attention to their classwork and studying as possible with as few other distractions, especially in the case of say medical and law students who have such severe workloads as it is that such a requirement is kinda nuts (again, some somehow do it even then, but that should by no means be an expectation ideally). But like I said, it's a wash since it's not something that has a chance of happening anyway, so it's not really something that ultimately matters either way I guess.

A lot of posters in here are realizing that Sanders and Clinton agree on a bunch of topics. They're just doing it by saying "Lol, Sanders/Clinton copied another one of Clinton's/Sanders' answers!"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That's how I don't know how you paid for the majority of your tuition with 20 hour work weeks.

I chose a reasonably cheap tuition cost, lived at home when I had to and got a small bit of tuition reimbursement from my employer and the state of Texas for graduating in 4 years.

How is it stupid? If China and India don't work damn hard to battle climate change it literally doesn't matter what WE do. The world is fucked.
lead by example? China and India have a growing affluence class and they're developing our habits.

The US is still the highest per capita carbon producer of the 3

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if she'll take a position on weed when she takes a position on weed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom