• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

But that is just fucking stupid. You will never win the general election with a message like that.

Even if there are inherent problems with some of these derivative markets, and obviously there are as far as oversight is considered, calling the business itself fraud reeks of demagoguery.
I'd argue Bernie's not actually interested in winning, despite his claims to the contrary.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Did you slurp Wall Street?"

"There's a lot more than Wall Street to think about!"

"But srsly did you make out with Wall Street hella times?"

"Look, we have to deal with the bigger issues, more than Wall Street"

"Is Wall Street your bae tho?"

"What about the multiverse beyond Wall Street? We have to deal with 4 dimensional non Euclidean baes!"

"Are you preggers with babby Wall Street?"

"I care about ALL the childrens, not just Wall Street babbies."

His tone is great, only raising his voice to emphasize certain parts.

On the other hand, Clinton keep raising her voice, doing so for large chunks of her statements, which can and does sound off putting.

I really don't know how anyone could make a claim for her being a good debater. Her statements could be all right and better, but her tone and demeanor eliminates all that advantage.
She is a good debater. She'll destroy any conservative. I think her advisors prepared her for a more aggressive Sanders and he's not having it.

ApharmdX

Banned
You missed my post earlier explaining why she may not be able to: there may have been an agreement that those speeches are only for the people she gave them to and not to be released to the public. It does happen.

That's possible. But again, the speeches aren't really the issue. It's the banks' investment in a political candidate/family, which they expect will pay dividends down the road, that's the real problem.

Money should not be a form of political speech period.

Yes?

Do you want a functioning financial system AND accountability when shit goes sideways? If so, you need to be able to let banks fail for their fuckery.

You realize that General Electric was mere hours away from becoming insolvent because the short term bond markets dried up the morning Lehman failed, right? What would've happened had the Merrill deal not gone through?

We can have the discussion of not having any financial institution pose systemic risk to the economy, but not bailing out the banks is literally the worst course of action the government could've taken in 08/09.

ICKE

Banned
The extreme left is as bad as the extreme right, in their reductive views on the economy.

Yeah, there is a fine line between criticism and just outright ignorance.

Again, it is just naive when Sanders says that no one from the banking sector will be part of his cabinet. You are only going to put academics in charge of those positions? Look at Syriza, that was an EPIC disaster.

Grover

Banned
the american people know precisely why politicians are given millions of dollars, the economy didn't get this skewed to the top 1% for no reason.

even if what she was saying about not being affected was true, you'd still be a fool to believe it.

Ashodin

I just hope she's not getting sick man. Sucks when you need to be at these debates.

"Did you slurp Wall Street?"

"There's a lot more than Wall Street to think about!"

"But srsly did you make out with Wall Street hella times?"

"Look, we have to deal with the bigger issues, more than Wall Street"

"Is Wall Street your bae tho?"

"What about the multiverse beyond Wall Street? We have to deal with 4 dimensional non Euclidean problems!"

"Are you preggers with babby Wall Street?"

"I care about ALL the childrens, not just Wall Street babbies."

I spit out my drink

royalan

Bernie why are you even trying?

"I voted against the war in Iraq." is a completely inadequate response at this point.

"A vote in 2002 is not a plan to defeat ISIS."

BAM

nib95

Banned
That there is no actual reason to break up the banks that has anything to do with their ability to tank the economy.

Of course there is, because the smaller they are, the less financial and political potency they possess, and the more dispensable they will be in the long run. A massive bank failing, one of only a few major institutions, is far less manageable and more detrimental, than a much smaller bank failing, and one that is one of many.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's not a problem. We don't need to stoop to the rights level.

An extreme left would drag the average left. All the extreme right being so loud is dragging the Democrats right. So... yes, yes SOMEONE has to be extreme left to keep it in balance.

RoKKeR

Man, Bernie sucks at foreign policy.

"Hilary, good stuff on ISIS. Agreed. By the way, remember when you voted for the Iraq War?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom