• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate V

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's great for Canada, but it's not the situation in the United States. Corruption, lobbying, buying off politicians, a broken legal system, inefficiencies in regulation, fraud prevention, government sway, political presence and so on and so on, create a different set of circumstances and challenges that are more unique to America. All of these things of course need to be tackled, but breaking up the banks is just one thing on a list of many that could pave the way to tackling the above more effectively.

You don't think they have those things in Canada? Really? Did you ignore the entire decade that Stephen Harper was in power?

Arkeband

Banned
What the fuck does that mean? You can't dictate upfront how justices rule specific cases.

You can't simply rule against citizens united. You need to have a case that goes through the system first and even then the consequences of the ruling might slightly alter the legal reality. That answer is infuriating if you have studied law at all -_-

You're repeating the FUD that was smacked down weeks ago. Laws can be re-litigated if there is precedent. You can elect court justices who, given the chance, would overturn previous decisions. The idea that Citizens United is here now and forever is just foolish. It undermines the very fundamentals of how our government functions.

I really enjoy when Sanders and Clinton get along. Gives me warm fuzzies. It's easy to forget that they agree on most issues in the first place sometimes.

ICKE

Banned
Solid debate from Hillary Clinton. She was in the zone tonight!

Sanders is the favorite to win NH but Clinton really improved her standing tonight - especially on foreign policy.

Goddamn the democrats are class acts. If you could bring back the zombie versions of Republican presidents they'd have to be ashamed of what happened to their party after watching Bernie and Hillary tonight.

barnone

This. Bernie supporters seem to conveniently ignore the fact that Hillary decimates him beyond just surface-level policy proposals.

I don't ignore it. Bernie wins in categories besides FP specifics and minutiae. plus he can negotiate with congress better than hildawg, I think, to achieve better healthcare.

Kaydan

Banned
Well look at that. First Xbox and PlayStation are feeling lovey dovey, now it's Sanders and Clinton that are feeling the love. Such a lovely day!

I think the issue with these trade agreements is we get cheaper products but don't replace the jobs lost with ones that pay as well. The agreements and government do not address it.
I think there are valid critiques of free trade, economics tends to look at the whole and not the parts. The way it has evolved has been less than ideal. There's good and bad to trade, some of it intranational, some of it bilateral, some of it global (the reduction in extreme poverty is generally attributed to the reduction in trade barriers). That's likely no consolation to someone who lost their manufacturing job in the US.

I don't really know though, what people are proposing would change in the current globalised economy. Tariffs a la Trump? Increased subsidies to industries a la the flawed agricultural subsidies in the US?

I don't ignore it. Bernie wins in categories besides FP specifics and minutiae. plus he can negotiate with congress better than hildawg, I think, to achieve better healthcare.

He appears to lack the ability to go in depth into any of the policies he is proposing on the stage. He doesn't articulate policy mechanisms below skin level, like ever.

nib95

Banned
You don't think they have those things in Canada? Really? Did you ignore the entire decade that Stephen Harper was in power?

Of course they do, like every nation, but not nearly to the extent that the US suffers. And I agree, Harper was a stain on Canada and highlighted that things could very easily be turned worse in all those regards.

barnone

Bernie does seem the more genuine/extreme progressive. he embraces it and he is OK with it and I have the impression that he can talk about his differences with conservatives just fine.

Geist-

I know it's unlikely that Clinton would pick Sanders for VP and vice versa, but they should work together and I hope either one would get a spot in the others administrations.

breaking up the banks is just one thing on a list of many that could pave the way to tackling the above more effectively.
I hope they don't break up. Big banks made it so that your bank account didn't disappear when your nobody local bank closed shop due to shoddy investment strategies that were utilized primarily by shadow banking industries.

That was a great closing statement. The anecdote of Sanders was lovely. Sad to see people here who only response to that was "lol his stump speech"

Bernie is absolutely right. Money in politics should be the most important issue.
I wonder, is he admitting defeat then? I mean, certainly it's a big issue, but if money in politics is truly as big of an issue as he makes it out to be, then he has no chance at defeating Hillary and even less of a chance of defeating his GOP opponents, because they're extra money precludes any chance he his of winning, right?

And if he somehow manages to not only defeat Clinton, but also his GOP opponent... then how much of an impact does stuff like Citizens United really have? I mean, certainly it has an impact, but if he manages to win in spite of it and despite not taking SuperPAC money and nonetheless winning against people who took tons from SuperPAC, how can one simultaneously argue that it's not just an important issue, but the most important issue, when you won anyway, something that should be impossible under that logic?

It just seems there's a contradiction in there somewhere--if it's really that big of a deal, he's admitting it's impossible to win. But if he does manage to win, despite not using SuperPAC money himself, how big of a deal can it truly be if it didn't stop him from getting his message across and the people choosing him despite all that money being thrown around. It just seems odd to me.

Russia's actions can be made to sound scary but they're really not. They're fighting to retain, at best, half of a country that used to be entirely in their orbit.

And they're fighting to retain an ally in Syria. There's no expansion here. No vital US interests are threatened.

I'm not even sure anything Russia is doing is harming US global dominance either. Again, Russia is fighting to retain scraps of what they used to have.

North Korea has an opaque and bizarre leader with actual nuclear weapons and American troops on the DMZ. Even that threat is very minimal, but it's greater than the imaginary ones posed by Russia and Iran.

Eastern European nations. I mean really they raised the defense budget in Europe because of Russia. To your last point, and Russia has more than that than you mentioned . There are US troops in the Baltic nations and Russia has nukes too. I find it surprising that people are comparing a country that has almost done nothing besides threaten countries that never amounted to anything for years to a country that just invaded a country.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sorry, my power fluctuated right as I was about to hit reply.

Please enlighten us.

I can only personally contribute two factors that I've seen posted;

1.) Perception of the source of income inequality. A poll showed that many Black people see racism as the primary reason. While Sanders believes in the mantra "A Rising Tide Raises all Ships" and sees tax policy among others as the primary reason.

2.) Electability. I have not seen any polls on the matter, but it's not far fetched to think Hillary would have a better chance in the general election. If one of your priorities is to keep the other party who hates your guts out of office, then that may be of great importance.

barnone

He appears to lack the ability to go in depth into any of the policies he is proposing on the stage. He doesn't articulate policy mechanisms below skin level, like ever.

he has a shot at winning now so I can see why you're worried about his specific proposals. his goal when he first began his campaign was to primarily change the conversation to domestic economic/power issues. I have to admit I am ok with him still doing that.

loki 16

It was a good debate. I thought Bernie did better On economics and foreign trade. Hillary did better in foreign policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom