• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Primary Debate VI: Raid Time 2/11 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterLimits

As a Conservative, I thought Clinton started off super strong and Sanders struggled. That shifted after 45 min or so and Bernie did better. She was stronger on foreign policy but he held his own this time. Overall a draw to me.

Hillary sounds somewhat Republican on foreign policy. She has always been somewhat hawkish though.

I wouldn't say crushed, but he soundly beat her on economics.

I still think he lost on foreign policy because he continues to fail to lay out what foreign policy would look like under his administration. It's one thing to criticize others on their record, but his plan is still incredibly vague.

Exactly, he stresses judgment because he's not someone who has to develop plans in the first place for foreign policy, only judge the plans of others. So he says he can call out a good plan and a bad plan, but doesn't seem able to put one together.

This has bothered me with him since day one. He's a legislator, and a damn good one, but he is not an executive at all.

Sanders fans physically can't do that. They're new to the political process in general, they're the type of people that thought Obama was Jesus resurrected and then proceeded to plant their asses to couch when the 2010 and 2014 elections happened.

Why is this type of generalization okay lol

image.php

Your avatar is more modern than her concept of leftist politics.

Just call yourself a centrist non-progressive and I'm fine. It's a legit point. Just don't fake it.

Let me guess: You're a millennial, right?

I think they traded shots tonight and both came out of it a bit bloody, but all in all it could have been worse. I think Hillary trying to drag down Bernie because he doesn't worship Obama was a terrible look and I really don't appreciate it. Obama was the first president I actually got to vote for (twice) and I wouldn't have it any other way. That said, the man isn't perfect and Hillary should try presenting herself to the voting public instead of Obama's record. No one won, but no one lost. I guess the mods were not so good.

ugh

She's not talking to you. She's talking to middle class black family in Charleston who cried on Election Night in 2008.

But it won't be held tomorrow, and I could change the world with ifs.
Cool

That doesn't change the fact that Bernie is the one who needs to sway voters, not Hillary

When he gets absolutely destroyed in the South, it won't be because Hillary swayed voters to her more effectively. It'll be because he dropped the ball.

dramatis

So finally Bernie is studying up on foreign policy. The problem is I don't think he's actually studying up so much on foreign policy as he is studying up on Hillary's history with foreign policy. Rather than offering insights, Bernie came equipped with a lot of attacks but didn't have much substance of his own to offer.

To be fair, foreign policy is not easy.

But I think his worst answer has to be the one when the moderator asked him, "You think race relations will be better under you than under Obama?" and Bernie immediately answered, "Absolutely...wall street stuff, street corner, jobs, etc." It was ridiculously presumptuous of this white guy to talk about how much better race relations are going to be under his presidency because economics will solve everything.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yes. A shame she is going into that rethoric. Obama is not above criticism.

We need a democratic Reagan in the sense of recognition and candidate modeling. Obama is better than Bill in this regard long-term. But sure in terms of this debate...she's playing it too obvious to the informed eye.

I'm surprised so many were annoyed that Clinton repeatedly mentioned Obama. Why wouldn't she?
From a voter standpoint, it was a smart move. From...I don't know what viewpoint...I would've loved to see her invoke Obama, then talk about how what he built that can be expanded on. How we can move forward. She talked about moving forward, but was spotty on the details. It was a little too much "Obama Obama".

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
I am responding to someone that said that Obama would be put along with MLK and Jesus. I am saying that I don't believe MLK would have supported Obama after his original election because a lot of his policies were anti-Labour Union, especially TPP.

This is such a silly line of thought.

I'm surprised so many were annoyed that Clinton repeatedly mentioned Obama. Why wouldn't she?
Indeed. She's not in any way hiding that much of her platform is a third Obama term. It's always been the plan in a party with a popular retiring President. Not as popular as Bubba (and Gore ran on much of his platform), but still very popular within the party.
Just makes her look weak. Using that clutch
You can still call it weak if you'd like, but when it's your platform, it's your platform. It's your message.

injurai

Banned
We need a democratic Reagan. Obama is better than Bill in this regard long-term.

I'd argue we don't need a Reagan. That doesn't mean Obama can't be invoked. Hugging all of his policies though does nothing for us, especially when we should continue moving forward.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I think Hillary took that.. strong close too.

She's winning me over big time. I just trust her to take care of shit, way more than Bernie. 4 more years of Obama-tier... I'm cool with it.

She's more to the right than I like.. but the country is so far right.. you can't really expect anyone strong left to get a damn thing done.

I wish the Bernie-stans would stop pushing the anti-Hillary stuff.. they are trying to tear the party apart.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I am responding to someone that said that Obama would be put along with MLK and Jesus. I am saying that I don't believe MLK would have supported Obama after his original election because a lot of his policies were anti-Labour Union, especially TPP.

What exactly is your problem with TPP?

mjp2417

Banned
Sanders fans physically can't do that. They're new to the political process in general, they're the type of people that thought Obama was Jesus resurrected and then proceeded to plant their asses to the couch when the 2010 and 2014 elections happened.

Yeah, that perfectly describes Cornel West and Noam Chomsky

Fracas

#fuckonami
good lord do hillary and sanders supporters just loathe each other or what

either of them would be infinitely better than what's on the republican side, come on now

Bold prediction is that people who like Clinton will continue to like Clinton, people who like Sanders will continue to like Sanders, and these debates won't move the needle much one way or the other.

Fantastic closing statement there from Hillary! That was a very good argument for why people should support her over Bernie. She had a better tone and demeanor throughout the debate, as well. It was an improvement over her very angry style last debate, while Bernie was as angry as ever. It's a win for her there. Oh yeah, and the finger-wagging does not look great...

Bernie is only a single issue candidate if you lump all domestic issues as one.
To Bernie all domestic issues involve the big banks and Wall Street. He's the definition of a single-issue candidate. He's great on finance, better than Hillary for sure on that issue, but it is everything to him.

Henry Kissinger is literally a fucking war criminal. This is an undeniable fact. Anybody defending him for any reason really needs to read a fucking history book and to reconsider their priorities.

If anything, if anything, make this election about the fact we could elect a candidate that does not play nice with literal war criminals. Please.
You are absolutely right that Kissinger is a (sadly uncharged) war criminal and I wish he had gone to jail for it, but in opening relations with China he did do at least one good thing, admittedly. I don't like saying anything good about Kissinger either, but it is true. And America as a nation has a long history of working with awful people on subjects we do agree with them on.

I don't think either one of them would be

Yeah. Losing Obama is a real sadness. Like, I'm not backing any horse in particular, and to invoke him and say you'll be just like them is to make me look at the person in suspicion. That's not going to happen Hildawg.

Obama is the sitting president. She's talking about continuing his work.

I don't have faith in her to continue his work. And she hasn't convinced me otherwise.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why does Bernie keep basically shitting on the president and then saying he didn't when it's brought up? His base would love that.

Because 80+ percent of democrats support Obama. He shits on him when its politically opportune the same exact way Hillary embraces him.

It's really smart for Hillary to go after him on this. He has to juggle being both being different from Obama but not running away from his accomplishments at the same exact time.

Brinbe

I think Hillary has to feel good coming out of that one. She did what she needed to do and she's basically saying, do you want to continue Obama's legacy? Vote for me. You want a revolution to overthrow all his work? Go with Bernie.

Ashodin

I think Hillary took that.. strong close too.

She's winning me over big time. I just trust her to take care of shit, way more than Bernie. 4 more years of Obama-tier... I'm cool with it.

She's more to the right than I like.. but the country is so far right.. you can't really expect anyone strong left to get a damn thing done.

I wish the Bernie-stans would stop pushing the anti-Hillary stuff.. they are trying to tear the party apart.

Except Obama was running more left of Hillary and he got stuff done during his presidency. It can happen.

Bold prediction is that people who like Clinton will continue to like Clinton, people who like Sanders will continue to like Sanders, and these debates won't move the needle much one way or the other.

Shocked, shocked, (not that shocked).

Obama probably loves two people try to suck up to his image though. Gonna watch the first hour, thanks to everyone who sent links.

nib95

Banned
Obama is going to be regarded very very highly in the long run. Neither dem running holds a candle to Bama.

What a load of rubbish. Neither has even run for president yet. Let's not jump the gun. And I don't think he will be held as highly as you presume. Cool, collected, funny, commanding, responsible for making some decent policies and strides, but also very ineffective on foreign policy, and failing to make many of the major changes promised (especially reshaping Wall St, where instead he basically offered more of the same), as well as detrimental to privacy and freedoms with the whole NSA, Manning and Snowden stuff. Mostly positive, but with some serious negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom