• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zoe

Sullichin said:
Ok, so riddle me this. Beat 1-1, 1-2. Where should I go next, if learning magic or miracles is a priority? I leveled up my hunter enough to learn a spell or miracle. I'm getting my ass handed to me in every other area pretty much. I can get up to the vanguard area of 4-1 but I haven't tried just running past him for fear that the rest of the level would kick my ass. Pretty much straight melee now, I need some ranged magic or something.

3-1. It's good for stocking up on spices, and you'll be able to find catalysts if you don't already have one.

Sullichin

Zoe said:
3-1. It's good for stocking up on spices, and you'll be able to find catalysts if you don't already have one.

thanks. I have some spices and two wooden catalysts. Excited to have a brand new gameplay element to work with after hours of bashing shit with my axe. Now I just need 5 hours to pass so I can leave fucking work!!

oracrest

Zoe said:

Not to mention that you can save a particular character that will teach you higher level spells. For a similar character with miracles, get to 4-2 (4-1 isn't too hard past vanguard, and you can always beat him later, he's not going anywhere, he's too fat. Having thief ring equipped helps out a lot.)

World 3 is a great place to burn through for spells. You pick up TONS of spices for MP restoring. Defeating the final boss in this area gives access to what I consider the most useful spell in the game (arguably.)

sublimit

Banned
Hey i did a very dumb thing just before i finished my first walkthrough and i "unlearned" all of my spells and miracles.Will i get them back once i unlock Urbain,Freke and Yuria in NG+?

oracrest

sublimit said:
Hey i did a very dumb thing just before i finished my first walkthrough and i "unlearned" all of my spells and miracles.Will i get them back once i unlock Urbain,Freke and Yuria in NG+?

Do you mean that you don't have them in your immediate spells to cast? I don't think you ever "lose" spells, but you do need someone to help you "remember" them back to your casting tab.

If that's the case, then the answer to your second question is yes.

Eccocid

Penetrator boss is piece of cake thanks to Biorr. Tho i had to kill him right after the boss battle lol to get his armor set. And killed Ostrava righ after rescuing him too now i have 2 sets of burshwood armor! yay! :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So ah, it's not like I don't want to try the multiplayer of this game, but I can't, since the Internet connection in my country is mostly so much shit it cannot be depended on for online gaming :\

Well, and I am not interested in multiplayer.

Question: can I expect to enjoy a great strictly-single player only gaming experience with this game? I don't really mind difficulty.

kvn

Laughing Banana said:
So ah, it's not like I don't want to try the multiplayer of this game, but I can't, since the Internet connection in my country is mostly so much shit it cannot be depended on for online gaming :\

Question: can I expect to enjoy a great strictly-single player only gaming experience with this game? I don't really mind difficulty.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Go back a couple of pages ;)

edit:

Eccocid

Laughing Banana said:

Yes you can perfectly enjoy the game.
For me best part of online is you can summon other players to help you especially in boss battles! Which i miss most right now i need some ppl to kill bosses, i dont like taking risks and dying over and over again(had to restart game each death to keep body form lol takes forevr)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
kvn said:
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Go back a couple of pages ;)

Eccocid said:
Yes you can perfectly enjoy the game.
For me best part of online is you can summon other players to help you especially in boss battles! Which i miss most right now i need some ppl to kill bosses, i dont like taking risks and dying over and over again(had to restart game each death to keep body form lol takes forevr)

Hahaha I guess I can't expect anyone to help me against those mighty bosses then! :D

Ah well, guess I'll get ready for some teeth-clenching sweat-inducing controller-breaking difficulty!

Thanks for the answers :)

kvn

Laughing Banana said:
Hahaha I guess I can't expect anyone to help me against those mighty bosses then! :D

Ah well, guess I'll get ready for some teeth-clenching sweat-inducing controller-breaking difficulty!

The bosses are the
easiest
enemies in this game.

Eccocid

kvn said:
The bosses are the
easiest
enemies in this game.

They weren't when i played the game first time when it came out in Japan. I got the asian version and there weren't any guides or wiki!

I had to read every msg left from players in game lol.
But it was fun to start as Thief and thinking that i would get some special stealth moves lol. I finished it but missed tons of stuff like world tendency events, terasures and weapons. Now i got EU version playing it full guide it is not difficult as it used to be.

Only problem is making some mistake and getting a one hit shot from some of the enemies in game.

Sleepy

Just finished...what a fucking weak ending. Although, with the emphasis on non-cutscenes, I don't know what I was expecting.

Worth it to go through the game again?

Great game; bring on Dark Souls.

Eccocid

I didn't know Old King can heal himself :( spent lots of time with running back and forth and spamming spells on him. And voila! He filled his hp bar to max when he had like 10% health! :(

sublimit

Banned
oracrest said:
Do you mean that you don't have them in your immediate spells to cast? I don't think you ever "lose" spells, but you do need someone to help you "remember" them back to your casting tab.

If that's the case, then the answer to your second question is yes.

Ah thanks.I'm fucked.
It will be quite hard in NG+ to proceed without my spells and miracles until i unlock the magicians and re-learn them again.Oh well,i guess i have to pay for my stupidity.:/

Edit:It seems i only had to beat the Phalanx...after that i re-learned them from the apprentices.

So Shrine of Storms seems to me to be the most beneficial world in the game. The skeletons are probably the toughest standard enemies in the game (outside of, I dunno, giant goblins), but they'll teach you to time your dodges and attacks, which is the crux of DS' combat, and they offer TONS of souls compared to standard enemies in any other world. You'll probably end up farming souls just by accident as you play through 4-1 and 4-2, without trying specifically to do so. The bosses are pretty easy, comparatively, for a melee player character* and the environs are not too dark or twisty or punishingly trap-filled. (Though Storm King is the first Archdemon I end up beating during each playthrough. All in all, probably the most straightforward and helpful of all the levels in the game.

Now, 'most helpful' doesn't mean best, which I'd say is probably Boletaria due to the excellent design and intricacy of the levels as well as the impression that it imparts upon one's first playthrough, or perhaps Stonefang thanks to strong atmospherics and that same great level design, but Shrine of Storms is definitely up there. Who am I kidding, I love them all - even the Valley of Defilement. Well, kinda.

Been playing this game a lot lately. It's superb, probably one of the best ever. I can pick it up after months of not-playing and the duel-ish nature of the timing of combat just feels perfect and natural, and I feel right at home, like I've not missed a beat. And then I fall off a cliff and lose 30k souls and realize I probably deserved it for not being careful enough. Demon's Souls = <3

*note that most of the bosses in the game, in all worlds, are made significantly easier by focusing on magic or archery, with the Adjudicator being a funny exception. He's quite cheesy for a decently leveled melee PC.

Eccocid

icarus-daedelus said:
So Shrine of Storms seems to me to be the most beneficial world in the game. The skeletons are probably the toughest standard enemies in the game (outside of, I dunno, giant goblins), but they'll teach you to time your dodges and attacks, which is the crux of DS' combat, and they offer TONS of souls compared to standard enemies in any other world. You'll probably end up farming souls just by accident as you play through 4-1 and 4-2, without trying specifically to do so. The bosses are pretty easy, comparatively, for a melee player character* and the environs are not too dark or twisty or punishingly trap-filled. (Though Storm King is the first Archdemon I end up beating during each playthrough. All in all, probably the most straightforward and helpful of all the levels in the game.

Now, 'most helpful' doesn't mean best, which I'd say is probably Boletaria due to the excellent design and intricacy of the levels as well as the impression that it imparts upon one's first playthrough, or perhaps Stonefang thanks to strong atmospherics and that same great level design, but Shrine of Storms is definitely up there. Who am I kidding, I love them all - even the Valley of Defilement. Well, kinda.

Been playing this game a lot lately. It's superb, probably one of the best ever. I can pick it up after months of not-playing and the duel-ish nature of the timing of combat just feels perfect and natural, and I feel right at home, like I've not missed a beat. And then I fall off a cliff and lose 30k souls and realize I probably deserved it for not being careful enough. Demon's Souls = <3

*note that most of the bosses in the game, in all worlds, are made significantly easier by focusing on magic or archery, with the Adjudicator being a funny exception. He's quite cheesy for a decently leveled melee PC.

I agree! Also i love humanoid enemies more than demons and monsters. Fighting against an enemy which uses sword and shiled, blocks, counters and evades your attacks is so cool.
I love world 4 tho i wish it was longer. It's levels are pretty small and u can end it too fast. Would need bigger interiors or open areas imo.

oracrest

sublimit said:
Ah thanks.I'm fucked.
It will be quite hard in NG+ to proceed without my spells and miracles until i unlock the magicians and re-learn them again.Oh well,i guess i have to pay for my stupidity.:/

Edit:It seems i only had to beat the Phalanx...after that i re-learned them from the apprentices.

I was thinking they might be able to help you remember, but can't teach you the spell.

Dunlop

Finally found a store that sells this in Quebec (stupid language laws), seems awesome.

Any recomendations for a first timer? I made a temple knight. No joking about the difficulty I was a good 20 mins in the first time you leave the nexus and some dude on a bridge pretty much one shotted me. Forcing me to start over from the beginning lol, making me realize I should really like the character before investing the timesink

edit: looking up further seems that Royal or Soldier is the way to go

Dunlop said:
Finally found a store that sells this in Quebec (stupid language laws), seems awesome.

Any recomendations for a first timer? I made a temple knight. No joking about the difficulty I was a good 20 mins in the first time you leave the nexus and some dude on a bridge pretty much one shotted me. Forcing me to start over from the beginning lol, making me realize I should really like the character before investing the timesink

It a shame you don't have avaliable the online mode, lot of helpful messages that would lessen the pain.

Some recomendations:

- Advance slowly. Is very important you take your time, yeah it sucks that even being careful you get killed, but if you try to go fast or with overconfidence, chances are that, you gonna get raped.

- In most levels, you can open shortcuts, stay alert to those, since will make dying a bit less annoying.So yeah exploration is important.

- I assume you get killed by a blue knight, I don't know starting equipment of a temple kinght, but blocking with the shield and then strike is a good option, other is attacking with the weapon two-handed (triangle button) to crush his guard. Also take care when he attacks you with the shield, since will break your guard.Another good chance to attack is after he does his thrusting attack animation, it does leave him quite open, just take care to avoid it.

- Learn bit a bit the combat mechanics, DS is quite an easy game to pick and play, but getting the most of the combat mechanics will get some time.

- Try to learn the soul arrow spell (after the first boss) is really helpful early in the game.

- The first boss is weak against fire (trementine and incendiary bombs will really help, you can found them in the level) take this as a online message advice.lol

Also, don't worry if you die too much and lost souls, I know it sucks, but it will happen a lot, but you will be able to easily farm them later in the game.

icarus-daedelus said:
Adjudicator is also cheesy for a magic character
you can sit on the top level and just peek-a-boo to hit the nest with a spell, then roll back - he can't hit you if you stay at the entrance.

Dunlop

Relaxed Muscle said:
It a shame you don't have avaliable the online mode, lot of helpful messages that would lessen the pain.

Some recomendations:

- Advance slowly. Is very important you take your time, yeah it sucks that even being careful you get killed, but if you try to go fast or with overconfidence, chances are that, you gonna get raped.

- In most levels, you can open shortcuts, stay alert to those, since will make dying a bit less annoying.So yeah exploration is important.

- I assume you get killed by a blue knight, I don't know starting equipment of a temple kinght, but blocking with the shield and then strike is a good option, other is attacking with the weapon two-handed (triangle button) to crush his guard. Also take care when he attacks you with the shield, since will break your guard.Another good chance to attack is after he does his thrusting attack animation, it does leave him quite open, just take care to avoid it.

- Learn bit a bit the combat mechanics, DS is quite an easy game to pick and play, but getting the most of the combat mechanics will get some time.

- Try to learn the soul arrow spell (after the first boss) is really helpful early in the game.

- The first boss is weak against fire (trementine and incendiary bombs will really help, you can found them in the level) take this as a online message advice.lol

Also, don't worry if you die too much and lost souls, I know it sucks, but it will happen a lot, but you will be able to easily farm them later in the game.

thanks for the tips!

I remade my character to a Royal, advanced through the level easily because of soul arrow, thought yay easy mode!

Got to same dude on bridge he broke my guard and one shotted me...almost became a record of person buying game and then snapping it in half ; )

I dont know how to tell the levels, I'm at the level where the first soul ponts to when you first get to the nexus

I will persevere....

eXistor

Laughing Banana said:

It's not too bad. I played the game when it first came out and there weren't many people online, so I never even got to co-op (not that I would have wanted to anyway tbh). Most bosses went down without too much trouble, just be careful progressing through the game, watch your surroundings etc.

Dunlop said:
Got to same dude on bridge he broke my guard and one shotted me...almost became a record of person buying game and then snapping it in half ; )
If you want to beat the dude early the only way is luring him to the catapults and trapping him on the other side of a catapult for easy soul-arrowing - might take some time at a low level though, but will net you 3 000 souls iirc. Otherwise just leave him be, there is nothing at the other side for you to do atm.

Dunlop said:
thanks for the tips!

I remade my character to a Royal, advanced through the level easily because of soul arrow, thought yay easy mode!

I dont know how to tell the levels, I'm at the level where the first soul ponts to when you first get to the nexus

I will persevere....

Now, that I think about it, I think you are fighting definetly a guy you shouldn't I though it was the blue knights but it's probably the red knight (red shinning eyes), which you should avoid at low level.

Dunlop

Relaxed Muscle said:
Now, that I think about it, I think you are fighting definetly a guy you shouldn't I though it was the blue knights but it's probably the red knight (red shinning eyes), which you should avoid at low level.

thanks, but how do I avoid him? I am assuming I needed to be on that level first because the ghost knight dude from where you first go to the Nexus literally pointed for me to warp at that zone

Should I choose another level?

Dunlop said:
thanks, but how do I avoid him? I am assuming I needed to be on that level first because the ghost knight dude from where you first go to the Nexus literally pointed for me to warp at that zone

You can only choose that level, the other stones are inactive.

I'm pretty sure you can avoid him, since you don't need to go that way to keep advancing.In the ballista area, search for a blue knight and a fog gate, go that way.

Edit:Well you can explore more before entering the fog...there's area if you keep going straight after defeating the blue knight and not entering the fog.If my intructions aren't clear enough you can look for a video of the level in youtube..., I know I did it a couple of times because I got lost too.Nothing wrong with it.

oracrest

Dunlop said:

Go through the doorway behind the blue eyed knight, instead.

Played way too much of this game back when it first came out. One of my all time favs. So my ps3 YLOD a few months back and I lost all my protected saves. This just might be a great time to start playing DS again as I am now forced to start over. :)

Maybe this time I can get the pure blade stone!!

Dyno

darkjedi187 said:
Played way too much of this game back when it first came out. One of my all time favs. So my ps3 YLOD a few months back and I lost all my protected saves. This just might be a great time to start playing DS again as I am now forced to start over. :)

Maybe this time I can get the pure blade stone!!

This happened to me and I lost two characters. The thing is the next character I made on my new PS3 was the result of all that trial and error. The new character turned out so refined and well suited to my playstyle that I forgot about the other characters.

Got back into DS last night on my NG+. Finished 4-1, got two Colourless Demon Souls and resupplied my character for the trials ahead. There is no such thing as quitting this game.

Got my Pure Bladestone, basically I assured my first platinum ever, I have a few trophies left but it just a matter of time.

Now wait for PSN to came back, I wanna do some invasions!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damnit every time I see this topic I read it as "Demon's Souls 2".

So as my college semester is coming to a close, I was hoping to pick up this game as a treat for myself. Since the snow was finally gone, I had a chance to roller blade to the store and pick up a copy and sit down and enjoy it. A nice bit of exercise and starting a good game seemed like a good day to me.

Every store that sold it in town, including the used game stores were completely sold out. The guy at the gamestop informed me that once news got out of the servers shutting down this year, demand shot up and they were quickly depleted of their inventory of the game. I assume this must be true for the other stores that carried it as well.

I ended up skating all over god damn town looking for the thing only to head home completely empty handed. Definitely a huge disappointment. I ended up ordering a copy online. It should come tomorrow. I'm going into this game fairly blind. It had better be good.

Nakiro

Relaxed Muscle said:
Got my Pure Bladestone, basically I assured my first platinum ever, I have a few trophies left but it just a matter of time.

Now wait for PSN to came back, I wanna do some invasions!!
Good thing you picked an easy game for your first Platinum.

oracrest said:
The best way to play.

Yeah. All I know about the game is supposedly that "Its hard but fair. If you play close attention to enemies and surroundings you'll be able to handle it" and that it is an action RPG.

I'm guessing the game play is something like a nuanced Monster Hunter Tri with actual levels for a change. Slower paced, pay attention to enemy behavior, know when to attack, dodge or block. That kind of thing.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Really late to the party on this one, I've held off buying it due to not having that much time for playing games what with working and commuting.

But I caved in a week ago and I must say the game really lived up to all the hype for me. I think my favourite aspect so far is the way that death and the potential losing of your souls leads to some really tense situations. Especially when your bloodstain is in the boss-room and you just barely made it there the first time....fantastic stuff!

I've cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1,3-1 and 4-1 in about a week...starting to look a bit rough around the edges at work though :)

oracrest

Mortrialus said:
Yeah. All I know about the game is supposedly that "Its hard but fair. If you play close attention to enemies and surroundings you'll be able to handle it" and that it is an action RPG.

I'm guessing the game play is something like a nuanced Monster Hunter Tri with actual levels for a change. Slower paced, pay attention to enemy behavior, know when to attack, dodge or block. That kind of thing.

The gameplay reminds me of Monster Hunter more than any other game, in terms of play control.

Have fun...

oracrest said:
The gameplay reminds me of Monster Hunter more than any other game, in terms of play control.

Have fun...

Yeah I guessed as much. Good thing imo. My biggest complaint about the monster hunter games are the world design, which in the series is essentially a number of unconnected rooms for a zone. A friend who recommended the game says they zones are built much much better than in the Monster Hunter games.

Finished my final test, am officially done with the semester, my copy should arrive in the mail any minute. I'm dying with anticipation.

My body is ready.

Noob question: I finished the first area and gathered about 5000 souls after the boss. Then, like a dumbass, was saving them instead of spending them and got stomped in 1-2. I lost the 5000 and it was semi motivation crushing.

Is 5000 even a lot? I felt like I lost a couple hours of progress, but I don't even know if that is a significant amount later, or if it can be regained fairly easily.

Having just defeated the Tower Knight, I have to say I am absolutely infatuated with this game. The combat just feels so right. I think I was right in the monster hunter comparison at first, but man its so much more nuanced and flexible, and with much, much better world design. It isn't as nutbustingly hard as I have been led to believe (Yet) but how careful you have to constantly be adds a huge edge and interesting flavor to the game that we don't usually see in this day and age. I also would call it quite fair. It's not like NES Ninja Gaiden with endlessly respawning mobs and the downright evil checkpoint when one dies during the final boss rush.

I do have a few minor grips. Wow the cosmetic character creation is bad. Really, really bad. Its impossible to make a non hideous character in this game. Thank god for helmets.

I also don't care at all lack of a pause button. I can understand that in online play, but really, there is no reason not to have this feature in offline play. I think I understand the mentality that went behind it, but its just wrong. Thankfully its not to hard to plan ahead and move yourself to a safe location if you need to take care of something in real life, but a pause button isn't going to break the game.

The voice acting is also poor. The pseudo medieval accents are really embarrassing to listen to when not executed well. The story is also generic and bare bones, but the dark atmosphere really makes it work. One cannot praise the graphics and art style enough. It is glorious. This game also has the best monster designs I've seen in a while.

Truth be told, I would best describe this as a BERSERK(My favorite manga of all time) game where you don't play as Guts. You're comparatively weak and ever so insignificant compared to the things you have to fight in this game. Speaking of BERSERK there is no way the Tower Knight is anything but a shout out to Grunbeld.

tower-knight.jpg

4-23_PBUVA-berserk-v23c06p128-copy-.jpg

Ozzykamikaze said:
Noob question: I finished the first area and gathered about 5000 souls after the boss. Then, like a dumbass, was saving them instead of spending them and got stomped in 1-2. I lost the 5000 and it was semi motivation crushing.

Is 5000 even a lot? I felt like I lost a couple hours of progress, but I don't even know if that is a significant amount later, or if it can be regained fairly easily.

In the long run? Not at all. Don't let it get you down.

Ozzykamikaze said:
Is 5000 even a lot?

If it hurt to lose, it was a lot. ;)

But no, it's not. By the time you're level 20 or 30, that won't even buy you a skill point. (Heck, maybe even sooner than that. I forget.)

I'm sure I've lost more than 80,000 souls on a death before.

NEOPARADIGM said:
If it hurt to lose, it was a lot. ;)

But no, it's not. By the time you're level 20 or 30, that won't even buy you a skill point.

That actually makes me feel better and want to try again, thanks.

I think I needed the reassurance.

Top Bottom