• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Glad to see this thread is still moving. I myself took a break from playing the game because it took too much of my time, but have recently begun playing again for whatever reason.

Anyway, as I killed the Fool's Idol today I started wondering about it's clones. They all have individual hp bars, but I've never gone through the trouble of actually killing one. Does anyone know what happens when you kill a clone? Will you get souls for them or do they just simply disappear/respawn?

Help Me! said:
I finally put down the False King today (that dirty son of a bitch), and I beat 4-2 (which really wasn't that difficult at all; I have no idea what my problem was with that stage) and the Storm King yesterday. I only have the Tower of Latria and the * * Defilement left. After hearing all the horror stories, I need to farm souls before I am ready for those, though.

I killed some creature in 4-2 that moved my world tendency from pure black to neutral...It was off to the side of the stage's beginning. I didn't even realize what I had done until I went back to the Nexus and happened to check. Strange.

That's the demon that drops the colorless demon souls, that you need to upgrade certain weapons.I hope you get the drop, It also shifts world tendency to neutral (+3).

Sword Familiar said:
Glad to see this thread is still moving. I myself took a break from playing the game because it took too much of my time, but have recently begun playing again for whatever reason.

Anyway, as I killed the Fool's Idol today I started wondering about it's clones. They all have individual hp bars, but I've never gone through the trouble of actually killing one. Does anyone know what happens when you kill a clone? Will you get souls for them or do they just simply disappear/respawn?

I think they just dissapear, I'm not sure I think I never managed to kill one, they always left before taking out the full bar (also it quite dangerous stay in the open to much with that fight)

Eccocid

are there any benefits or penalty for playing whole game in body form? Whenever i die i quickly quit game and reload, usually it puts me back to place before i die and continue to play like that. I got WWT in 1-1 finally and killed that boss in execution grounds.

Oh and finally got Warden spell. It's amazing how much damage it cuts!

oracrest

Eccocid said:
are there any benefits or penalty for playing whole game in body form? Whenever i die i quickly quit game and reload, usually it puts me back to place before i die and continue to play like that. I got WWT in 1-1 finally and killed that boss in execution grounds.

Oh and finally got Warden spell. It's amazing how much damage it cuts!

Every time you die in body form, the world tendency goes towards black. also, you will burn through all your stone of ephemeral eyes real fast.

Unless your'e the guy that can beat DS in under an hour, playing entirely in body form is incredibly ambitious, unless you don't mind beating a level with another player as a blue phantom every time you die in your own game.

The biggest penalty is losing your save date when quitting upon death. It's INCREDIBLY stupid of a thing to do with this game, just sayin'

Eccocid

oracrest said:
Every time you die in body form, the world tendency goes towards black. also, you will burn through all your stone of ephemeral eyes real fast.

Unless your'e the guy that can beat DS in under an hour, playing entirely in body form is incredibly ambitious, unless you don't mind beating a level with another player as a blue phantom every time you die in your own game.

The biggest penalty is losing your save date when quitting upon death. It's INCREDIBLY stupid of a thing to do with this game, just sayin'

oh this is my second run but i played it first time when it came out with a thief and without a guide lol.. but the version i have is EU version now so saves dont work.

I started as Royalty. Actually i only completed 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 so far without dying to enemies. I keep farming at 4-1. I died few times due to falling from edges etc and reloaded asap.

What i wonder (also cant remember) am i at a proper soul level to face a more tough bosses. MY level is 36 and i spent points almost evenly between magic and int, i almost finished 3-1 but thought my level might be too low for boss and went back to Nexus.
AND DAMN PSN IS STILL DOWN i can't summon any blue phantoms. :(

ugh i should spend more points on VIT i guess it is still 10 :p

oracrest

Eccocid said:
oh this is my second run but i played it first time when it came out with a thief and without a guide lol.. but the version i have is EU version now so saves dont work.

I started as Royalty. Actually i only completed 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 so far without dying to enemies. I keep farming at 4-1. I died few times due to falling from edges etc and reloaded asap.

What i wonder (also cant remember) am i at a proper soul level to face a more tough bosses. MY level is 36 and i spent points almost evenly between magic and int, i almost finished 3-1 but thought my level might be too low for boss and went back to Nexus.
AND DAMN PSN IS STILL DOWN i can't summon any blue phantoms. :(

ugh i should spend more points on VIT i guess it is still 10 :p

There is no soul level limitations for facing bosses. I have played through the whole game with just a level 1 character. It's more just a matter of knowing the boss patterns, and having good, tempered armors and weapons to wield. Flamelurker and Maneater are the only real pain in the asses for me. And blue dragon...

Do you guys think that level is all that important for bosses? I mean it does allow you to make more mistakes but I kinda felt like once you hit about level 30 tactics were a lot more important then beefyness for killing just about anything.

Eccocid

Tylahedras said:
Do you guys think that level is all that important for bosses? I mean it does allow you to make more mistakes but I kinda felt like once you hit about level 30 tactics were a lot more important then beefyness for killing just about anything.

But the damage i deal with spells are too weak... I tried to kill that guy locked in 1-1. I can hardly damaged him with soul arrows :/

oracrest

Eccocid said:
But the damage i deal with spells are too weak... I tried to kill that guy locked in 1-1. I can hardly damaged him with soul arrows :/

Defeat Old Monk, and use his soul for a better missile spell.

Eccocid

1-1,1-2, all levels of 2 is done! i almost finished 1-3 and 3-1 but returned back to nxeus right before boss battles due to weight limit. Man playing with royalty is piece of cake unless u get caught it melee attacks. Now i got firestorm for the first time gonna test it on old king. I guess i will spend all my point on magic and Int from now on. i am around soul level 40 and got 26 magic 24 int so far and some points on endurance, vit and str.

pastacopy

Neo Member
Couple questions:
1) If Ostrava died in 1-1 and I didn't pick up any of his items, am I screwed as far as the Mausoleum key goes?
2) Not sure what happened, but everytime I go through 1-4, Biorr attacks me when I reach him by the dragon. It didn't start off that way, could I have accidentally hit him or something?

thorin

pastacopy said:
Couple questions:
1) If Ostrava died in 1-1 and I didn't pick up any of his items, am I screwed as far as the Mausoleum key goes?
2) Not sure what happened, but everytime I go through 1-4, Biorr attacks me when I reach him by the dragon. It didn't start off that way, could I have accidentally hit him or something?
1) Yup. You'll get another chance in new game plus, though.
2) You might have hit Biorr too much during the Penetrator fight.

denomes

Played this for the first time last night. I was instantly kind of hooked. Found myself returning to the game every half hour or so to try again. I keep dying to the Red Eye Knight in 1-1 (or what I assume to be 1-1). I think I'm just gonna skip him for now since he is handing me my ass.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun so far! Is it possible I will be able to figure this out on my own? I couldn't even really decipher the weapon stats screen!

pastacopy

Neo Member
It keeps pulling you back doesn't it? :) I had pretty much lost interest in video games until I picked Demon's Souls up (late to the party). Can't freaking wait for Dark Souls.

And yeah, the game is a little bit cryptic for sure, and you will miss a ton of stuff if you don't consult the wiki, which is fine, you can always have another go in New Game plus and read up to your hearts content.

I would level up a bit before facing the red-eye knight in 1-1. :]

Eccocid

ok whats the problem with Old King? My magci is level 30 now, i casted firestorm it barely scratched him! Do i have to level up all my skills to put a dent on him?

And fuck firestorm, wish i got fireball.. It usually misses my targets :( :(

Sword Familiar

denomes said:
Played this for the first time last night. I was instantly kind of hooked. Found myself returning to the game every half hour or so to try again. I keep dying to the Red Eye Knight in 1-1 (or what I assume to be 1-1). I think I'm just gonna skip him for now since he is handing me my ass.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun so far! Is it possible I will be able to figure this out on my own? I couldn't even really decipher the weapon stats screen!

I managed to beat the game without any guide. In fact, I played offline my first two times because I didn't want any help. It might be a big undertaking to figure out every technical bit on your own, but you should probably be able to beat the game if you try hard enough. It's not as difficult as they say. Just be patient and move forward slowly.

oracrest

Eccocid said:
ok whats the problem with Old King? My magci is level 30 now, i casted firestorm it barely scratched him! Do i have to level up all my skills to put a dent on him?

And fuck firestorm, wish i got fireball.. It usually misses my targets :( :(

I want to say that with my mage character playthrough, I still just used my falchion/scimitar to kill him.

denomes

Sword Familiar said:
I managed to beat the game without any guide. In fact, I played offline my first two times because I didn't want any help. It might be a big undertaking to figure out every technical bit on your own, but you should probably be able to beat the game if you try hard enough. It's not as difficult as they say. Just be patient and move forward slowly.

Thanks for the tip! I feel like some of the stats are somewhat extraneous (to a newb) and I could make good progress by just playing smart. Blasphemous?

Sword Familiar

denomes said:
Thanks for the tip! I feel like some of the stats are somewhat extraneous (to a newb) and I could make good progress by just playing smart. Blasphemous?

You'll do alright, kid.

pastacopy said:
I would level up a bit before facing the red-eye knight in 1-1. :]
If you are playing Royal you can actually trap him at the catapults outside and kill him with soul arrows. His pathfinding isn't very good so if you keep to one side of the catapult while he charges and keep the catapult between you and him you can net a good amount of souls quite early.

Eccocid

oracrest said:
I want to say that with my mage character playthrough, I still just used my falchion/scimitar to kill him.

How long did it take to kill him? with crescent falchion i do around 20-25 damage maybe. Any trick to make him get stuck to somewhere?

oracrest

Eccocid said:
How long did it take to kill him? with crescent falchion i do around 20-25 damage maybe. Any trick to make him get stuck to somewhere?

It's been a while, so I don't really remember how long it took. It might have been one of those long drawn out fights. It might have been a fight that I did much later in the playthrough too, after getting the key from 1-4.

I do tend to dodge roll through a lot of his attacks, and come up swinging next to him.

Eccocid

oracrest said:
It's been a while, so I don't really remember how long it took. It might have been one of those long drawn out fights. It might have been a fight that I did much later in the playthrough too, after getting the key from 1-4.

I do tend to dodge roll through a lot of his attacks, and come up swinging next to him.

oh ok so thats a general strategy, and seems like it will take a lot of time if u don't overlevel, well then i will leave him to last.

Also, before ending the game, is it ok to kill all the npcs(except stockpile Thomas) for their loot, in nexus? You keep the items in NG+, right?

Sleepy

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! 500,000+ souls lost! My power just went out while I was farming in 4-3. Barely raining here, too. I might send the power company a very obnoxious and obscene letter/email/customer service call. Man, am I pissed.

Evlar

Banned
Help Me! said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! 500,000+ souls lost! My power just went out while I was farming in 4-3. Barely raining here, too. I might send the power company a very obnoxious and obscene letter/email/customer service call. Man, am I pissed.
They'll be talking about that one around the water cooler.

oracrest

Help Me! said:

The game didn't do a recent auto save? If you did something as simple as using an item, or switching weapons, it should have saved.

Sleepy

oracrest said:
The game didn't do a recent auto save? If you did something as simple as using an item, or switching weapons, it should have saved.

I hope so. I haven't gotten back to it yet. Maybe all hope is not lost. :) If not, that will be close to 800,000 souls lost in the lost few days for simple idiocy.

Dever

Banned
Help Me! said:
I hope so. I haven't gotten back to it yet. Maybe all hope is not lost. :) If not, that will be close to 800,000 souls lost in the lost few days for simple idiocy.

Yeah you should be fine, unless the power went out while the game was actually saving. DS saves your progress constantly.. probably so that when people lose 500k souls by dying, they can't just load an earlier save.

Eccocid

tehehe i am cheating to get WWT in all levels in first run!

If i die i quit game even before my character falls to ground and reload game. It usually puts me back to where i left(before an encounter). SO basically i am playing whole levels in body form without dying and getting WWT in all of them when i reach to their archdemon. In NG+ i can go full BWT and play it on soul form mostly.

oracrest

Help Me! said:

Yeah, you should be fine, considering how often it saves. If you were going back and forth between the Nexus while farming, then you're definitely in the clear.

Sleepy

oracrest said:
Yeah, you should be fine, considering how often it saves. If you were going back and forth between the Nexus while farming, then you're definitely in the clear.

Lost about 30,000 or so. Not too bad. Whew.

Tower of Latria is fucking awesome; that is all.

Sarcasm

Whats the best way to play this? I made a soldier and just been using a shield and a 1h sword. I also get horribly lost. Once had the guy with red eyes chase me all the way back to the archstone! haha, it felt good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sarcasm said:
Whats the best way to play this? I made a soldier and just been using a shield and a 1h sword. I also get horribly lost. Once had the guy with red eyes chase me all the way back to the archstone! haha, it felt good.
play it however you like! You'll like it better that way in my opinion :)

Sleepy

Sarcasm said:

I started as a Thief, but after much pain and suffering switched to Royal. I sucked ass as a melee character. lol

The game is structured as to allow multiple ways to beat it. I second the play as you will statement. I wouldn't try the Red-eyes Knights for awhile, though. I did some serious leveling before I got up the nerve to tackle him.

Sullichin

Glad this thread is still moving because I just got this game a couple of weeks ago and just reading about it is very enjoyable...1-1 is the only boss I've conquered so far. I'm slowly but steadily getting better, focusing more on exploring the levels slowly and going back to the nexus with souls to level up whenever possible. It already sucks losing 2-4k souls if I die because I did something stupid.. I can imagine losing 30k+ from a stupid death being very frustrating.
I was getting my ass handed to me before I got the cling ring, and today I just got the thief ring. It's weird that you can vault over that wall, I don't think I would think to do that if I didn't look at the wiki.

Playing as a hunter btw. Excited to learn magic, i've played for hours just using melee.

Help Me! said:

A few DAYS? You should find a better farming spot, you can get around a million souls in about 20 minutes with the right strategy.

todahawk

Charmicarmicat said:
A few DAYS? You should find a better farming spot, you can get around a million souls in about 20 minutes with the right strategy.

I thought I knew the better farming spots and techniques but 1 mil in 20 minutes? Where would that be?

denomes

I just ran the hell right past a dragon in 1-1.
Came back out to the beginning of the level and had to chill out for a second.

Eccocid

HEy if i die with second chance spell effects on me and raise back in the level does it still effect world tendency? Or it doesn't count that as a death?

Rawk Hawk

Eccocid said:
HEy if i die with second chance spell effects on me and raise back in the level does it still effect world tendency? Or it doesn't count that as a death?
I don't believe it counts as a death. I don't know this for sure.. but you do remain in body form if it triggers. So by that I assume it wouldn't count as a death towards world tendencies.

oracrest

I haven't picked up DS in months and months, but this is still my favorite thread to go to, and see where people are at, and answer questions.

And post art!

Maneater-1.png

Sullichin

oracrest said:
I haven't picked up DS in months and months, but this is still my favorite thread to go to, and see where people are at, and answer questions.

And post art!

Maneater-1.png

Ok, so riddle me this. Beat 1-1, 1-2. Where should I go next, if learning magic or miracles is a priority? I leveled up my hunter enough to learn a spell or miracle. I'm getting my ass handed to me in every other area pretty much. I can get up to the vanguard area of 4-1 but I haven't tried just running past him for fear that the rest of the level would kick my ass. Pretty much straight melee now, I need some ranged magic or something.

Top Bottom