• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Mortrialus said:
The voice acting is also poor. The pseudo medieval accents are really embarrassing to listen to when not executed well.
Damn, I thought it was really well-executed for the most part. They all did a good job of conveying that they are the only (relatively) sane human beings left in one way or another.

Which characters in particular got to you? How would you have them sound?
(Just curious, not meaning to have a go).

B-Genius said:
Damn, I thought it was really well-executed for the most part. They all did a good job of conveying that they are the only (relatively) sane human beings left in one way or another.

The three guys in the nexus. Thankfully, its a really minor grip with this kind of game.

Edit: Another thing I actually like is that the instruction manual is actually in color. Just a nice touch. Black and white manuals bug me.

Dyno

I'm on NG+ and I've cleared worlds 2 to 5. I am stuck however on the 1-3 boss. I'm a melee/faith build with no arcane magic.

Penetrator was nearly killed the first time but then Biorr was killed and I got caught in the attack! Now I have to do this thing truly alone because PSN is down. On the wiki it mentions using the Winged Spear but that strategy to be hit and miss because the Wing Spear doesn't always have the range. The wiki mentions Meat Cleaver so I'll try that next but I'm not sure. Any other tips for tackling this bastard?

Rawk Hawk

Dyno said:
I'm on NG+ and I've cleared worlds 2 to 5. I am stuck however on the 1-3 boss. I'm a melee/faith build with no arcane magic.

Penetrator was nearly killed the first time but then Biorr was killed and I got caught in the attack! Now I have to do this thing truly alone because PSN is down. On the wiki it mentions using the Winged Spear but that strategy to be hit and miss because the Wing Spear doesn't always have the range. The wiki mentions Meat Cleaver so I'll try that next but I'm not sure. Any other tips for tackling this bastard?
What SL are you? If you aren't worried about a PvP build you can always farm up some souls. Every level gives you and physical defense point, so that would certainly help.

Other than that, keep trying and get the timing down to roll out of range of his attacks. Not easy, and likely take quite a few tries to get it down right, but I don't know of any cheap ways to take him down myself.

depths20XX

I need to finish this game before Dark Souls comes out.

I could never beat the Flamelurker and it always took so long to get back down there to fight him -_-

I heard it's easier to beat him with magic but my guy is pretty much all melee.

Rawk Hawk

depths20XX said:
I need to finish this game before Dark Souls comes out.

I could never beat the Flamelurker and it always took so long to get back down there to fight him -_-

I heard it's easier to beat him with magic but my guy is pretty much all melee.
Two things about Flamelurker. If you are interested, there is a quick way to get down to him and a fairly cheap way to ensure you kill him.

Dyno

Rawk Hawk said:
What SL are you? If you aren't worried about a PvP build you can always farm up some souls. Every level gives you and physical defense point, so that would certainly help.

Other than that, keep trying and get the timing down to roll out of range of his attacks. Not easy, and likely take quite a few tries to get it down right, but I don't know of any cheap ways to take him down myself.

I'm around SL 115. Looks like I'm going to have a rough night tonight!

depths20XX

Rawk Hawk said:
Two things about Flamelurker. If you are interested, there is a quick way to get down to him and a fairly cheap way to ensure you kill him.

What is this quick way down? I heard you can get him stuck on part of the environment or something right?

thorin

Dyno said:

You only need 14 Int to be able to learn Warding. Is that an option for you? Or maybe Second Chance. I love meleeing Penetrator. I usually equip armor light enough to roll in, have Warding ready, and use a Moon or Crescent sword that I can swing quickly. I not sure about using a big slow weapon since you run the risk of being hit during the windup. When he leaves himself open I usually make 1 or 2 quick strikes and get ready to roll away from his attacks.

thorin

depths20XX said:
What is this quick way down? I heard you can get him stuck on part of the environment or something right?
The quick way down is to take the right path just ahead of the armor spider archstone, through the tunnel full of miners, and down the shaft by carefully landing on platforms. It saves a lot of time.

I don't know about getting Flamelurker stuck. For that fight I'll usually bring the Purple Flame Shield (1-1), Ring of Flame Resistance, and either the Crescent Falchion (4-1) or Soul Arrow. Even if you only have 10 magic points, Soul Arrow still does decent damage. Whenever I'm not attacking I keep my shield up, and I back away now and then to make sure I have enough stamina to block his attacks.

There's also a way to cheese him:
You'll need 14 Int to have both Cloak and Poison Cloud memorized. Poison Cloud is learned by giving the 5-1 boss soul to Sage Freke. What you do is cast Cloak as soon as you enter his fog gate, and then walk, don't run, along the edge of the room until your behind him. Then you just cast Poison Cloud and wait quietly. I think it takes 4 casts or so to kill him. It's really lame, but I'll admit I've done it before =P

oracrest

Mortrialus said:
Truth be told, I would best describe this as a BERSERK(My favorite manga of all time) game where you don't play as Guts.

There have been many comparisons to the Berserk comic. No doubt an influence...

1271717936246.jpg

Rawk Hawk

depths20XX said:
Thorin has exactly what I was going to say. Check out youtube or the wiki site, both can be pretty helpful with getting past hard parts of the game.

oracrest said:

1271717936246.jpg

Awesome pic. Definitely saving that for.

As I mentioned the Dark Souls thread, everything down to the very dark, medieval fantasy art style and especially the monster design the resemblance is extremely uncanny. There is no way it wasn't a major influence on the game.

http://manga.theblackswordsman.com/manga/306/Berserk_v34c306p04-05.png
http://images.wikia.com/berserk/images/b/b3/Eclipse2.jpg
http://images.darkhorse.com/common/salestools/previews/berserk3/berserk3p1.jpg

Dyno

thorin said:
You only need 14 Int to be able to learn Warding. Is that an option for you? Or maybe Second Chance. I love meleeing Penetrator. I usually equip armor light enough to roll in, have Warding ready, and use a Moon or Crescent sword that I can swing quickly. I not sure about using a big slow weapon since you run the risk of being hit during the windup. When he leaves himself open I usually make 1 or 2 quick strikes and get ready to roll away from his attacks.

Success!

I nearly killed him with Large Sword of Moonlight +5 and Purple Flame Shield +10 but he penetrated me with only a little bit of health. After a small cry session I tried again four or five times and died. Then I tried it with the White Bow and victory! The bow allows for more backrolling movement which kept me out of danger.

After that it was a sweep through most of Level 1-4, now only the final boss remains. I'm going to see if I can get Black World Tendancy and nab me some colourless souls before NG++.

Nakiro

Dyno said:
Success!

I nearly killed him with Large Sword of Moonlight +5 and Purple Flame Shield +10 but he penetrated me with only a little bit of health. After a small cry session I tried again four or five times and died. Then I tried it with the White Bow and victory! The bow allows for more backrolling movement which kept me out of danger.

After that it was a sweep through most of Level 1-4, now only the final boss remains. I'm going to see if I can get Black World Tendancy and nab me some colourless souls before NG++.
I don't know if you knew, but if you rescue... Brrior(sp?) of the Twin Fang, he helps you fight. He is really easy to take down this way.

Nakiro said:
I don't know if you knew, but if you rescue... Brrior(sp?) of the Twin Fang, he helps you fight. He is really easy to take down this way.

Even in NG+++, he is still useful in helping to taking down Penetrator. In fact my preferred method of taking Penetrator down is using Fire Spray with Insanity Catalyst, Kris Blade and Ring of Magical Sharpness. Although you can also do it with Clever Rat's Ring and Morion Blade, just be sure to cast Second Chance as well.

Fire Spray is nice as you can still move after you the first cast, you just need to hold R1 or L1. With Biorr keeping Penetrator busy, I never get hit unless I being lazy and/or greedy.

Vitten

oracrest said:

Never heared of Berserk before Demon's Souls but I got curious about it because it was often mentioned as a big influence. I found the entire manga online and immediately got hooked, such an awesome awesome series . I think I read all 300 or so episodes in less than a week !

Gaf never fails to introduce me to the better things in life.

SolidC213

depths20XX said:

You can get to a point where he has trouble reaching you.

I would do it like this:
When entering the room run at him and he will run at you. When you see him about to do his lung forward attack you roll to either side of him to avoid it and run as fast as you can towards the top of the stairs that were behind him. There will be a destroyed part on the stairs top right corner. You can go around the rubble and back up into the corner and he will not be able to reach you because the rubble will be in his way. You can now use your ranged attacks almost worry free because he does sometimes manage to get past it. If he does get past it run away from stair area to lure him away and try to get back there again.

Hope that helps and good luck :)

oracrest

depths20XX said:

Shortcut is here.

Also, give a go at fighting him without locking onto him, just free form the camera as needed. I find the timing of his attacks is such that you can sprint away as he starts charging, and avoid his fire blasts. This tactic is made impossible if you are locked, and slowly backstepping away from him.

If you're REALLY good, you can roll at the right time in the blast, and not take damage. And ALWAYS keep him in the main open area, so he can't prison-style you. Also, generally ignore the lava spots. Focus on him.

I agree that he is one of the most difficult battles in the game, but not impossible to master.

RPGCrazied

Going to give this another go, found the non GH version today at gamestop for $17.99. Last time I played this(months ago), I was having a hard time. After dying just once I could never return to my body, so I remained at half health. I was having a hard time finding any new equipment. How does the multiplayer aspect work? I never once had someone in my game helping me. I could see messages, ghost players, and leave messages, but that really didn't help.

After seeing Dark Souls, I would like to beat this just once.

Sleepy

RPGCrazied said:
After dying just once I could never return to my body, so I remained at half health.

Look for the Cling Ring. And finding your body will not return you to bodily form; you must kill the main demon of the level. Just be prepared to be in soul form for 70+% of the game.

oracrest

RPGCrazied said:
Going to give this another go, found the non GH version today at gamestop for $17.99. Last time I played this(months ago), I was having a hard time. After dying just once I could never return to my body, so I remained at half health. I was having a hard time finding any new equipment. How does the multiplayer aspect work? I never once had someone in my game helping me. I could see messages, ghost players, and leave messages, but that really didn't help.

After seeing Dark Souls, I would like to beat this just once.

In the first level, there is a ring you can find that will increase your soul health to 3/4 instead of 1/2. It's a must have.

RPGCrazied

Help Me! said:
Look for the Cling Ring. And finding your body will not return you to bodily form; you must kill the main demon of the level. Just be prepared to be in soul form for 70+% of the game.

Oh, It must be in the 2nd stage? I managed to kill the big slime boss, but thats it.

Dyno

Nakiro said:

NG+! Biorr got killed on my first attempt. Had to do it on my own.

frostythecat said:
... Clever Rat's Ring and Morion Blade, just be sure to cast Second Chance as well.

Those three things have factored heavily into my NG+. When in body form I've started wearing the Clever Rat's Ring just so that I can start wailing when my health gets low.

thorin

RPGCrazied said:
Ok, thanks guys.

How do you get others into your game? Do you need an item or what?
You need to be in body form to invite blue phantoms into your game. Look for any blue messages on the ground to invite them, usually near the start of a level.

To be a blue phantom, you need to be in soul form and use the blue eye stone to leave a message that players in body form can see.

RPGCrazied

Let me guess, you have to buy those stones? Can you solo the game? Cause I was having a hard time on the 2nd stage. The part where that dragon flames the ground, and all the damn archers at the end, always gets me.

Sleepy

RPGCrazied said:
Let me guess, you have to buy those stones? Can you solo the game? Cause I was having a hard time on the 2nd stage. The part where that dragon flames the ground, and all the damn archers at the end, always gets me.

If I remember correctly you find the stones, but I think you can buy them, as well. I solo'd the entire game, so no worries there. Honestly, all the bosses were ridiculously easy (except for the 4-3 boss), it's the normal enemies that wreck your shit.

RPGCrazied said:
Those stones should already be in your inventory if you have talked to the Monumental and Black Maiden. They have infinite usage.

thorin

The blue eye stone, you get from the Maiden in the nexus. The black eye stone you get by defeating one of the game's black phantoms (eg. 3-1, 4-2).

ONCE AGAIN this game does not want to give my the friend's ring. It's my most encountered bug by a mile. I say 'yes' to his mission, kill all 5 BP's and he just doesn't give it up./ I even tried again on replay and killed two more BP's.
This has to be ~ the third time this has happened. I think I have to take it back down then bring it to full black again but it's so damned annoying whne I just want to start killing NPC's now.

thorin

BobTheFork said:
ONCE AGAIN this game does not want to give my the friend's ring. It's my most encountered bug by a mile. I say 'yes' to his mission, kill all 5 BP's and he just doesn't give it up./ I even tried again on replay and killed two more BP's.
This has to be ~ the third time this has happened. I think I have to take it back down then bring it to full black again but it's so damned annoying whne I just want to start killing NPC's now.
Have you killed all the archdemons? Because he doesn't give the friend's ring if you're at end game.

thorin said:
Have you killed all the archdemons? Because he doesn't give the friend's ring if you're at end game.
I talked to him before then. Then I beat the game and restarted and answered yes to him again and he still won't do it. It';s happened before and the last time I had to go kill a few people then get it back to full black. I've read about it happening to other people but no one seems to know reason.

oracrest

BobTheFork said:
I talked to him before then. Then I beat the game and restarted and answered yes to him again and he still won't do it. It';s happened before and the last time I had to go kill a few people then get it back to full black. I've read about it happening to other people but no one seems to know reason.

But you didn't try after killing the last archdemon, and before restarting?

Dunan

B-Genius said:

I also thought the translation and voice acting in the English version was excellent. Does anyone know which is translator Mai Namba's native language? If she's Japanese and learned English as a second language, and was able to write like this, my hat is off to her. What an amazing job.

oracrest

BobTheFork said:
No. I already know you can't get it from him once all the Archdemons are beaten.

I seemed to run into that issue as well a few times, before finally getting it from him somehow. It looked like I was pure white, then I killed another BP, and he gave it to me.

oracrest said:
I seemed to run into that issue as well a few times, before finally getting it from him somehow. It looked like I was pure white, then I killed another BP, and he gave it to me.
I doubled checked with the demon brandt and then I killed two more Bp's anyways. It's strange.

BobTheFork said:

do you want the ring only, or the achievement for the trophy?

RPGCrazied

playing offline(PSN down forever! :(), makes the game even harder, cause you can't see warning messages or anything. :lol. I did find the cling ring, and I got further! I saw the fog gate, but again, fucking archers with a blue knight. I died again. I still can't find the black and blue stones. The maiden just tells me about the monumental will tell me all, but I can't find that. I even went to the top of the nexus and saw nothing.

I have the best weapon I think, an axe? I want to upgrade it, but I can never get to the nexus with souls.

Facism

RPGCrazied said:
playing offline(PSN down forever! :(), makes the game even harder, cause you can't see warning messages or anything. :lol. I did find the cling ring, and I got further! I saw the fog gate, but again, fucking archers with a blue knight. I died again. I still can't find the black and blue stones. The maiden just tells me about the monumental will tell me all, but I can't find that. I even went to the top of the nexus and saw nothing.

I have the best weapon I think, an axe? I want to upgrade it, but I can never get to the nexus with souls.

Monumental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxe7OK2EpE

:D

Top Bottom