• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll never forget my Old Monk battle either. I was unbelievably outmatched. I took two hits from a huge sword and was almost dead on the spot. Started dodging like crazy and managed to get in a single hit with my poison claw. After a few more dodges, it became clear that he had zero poison resistance or poison healing items on him... couldn't believe my luck. I just keep dodging and parrying all over the place and just waited him out... had to be well over 10 minutes of him relentlessly attacking until his last HP ticked off. I only hit him once or twice after that initial poisoning and still managed to walk away with my life.

That match was really exemplary of how Demon's Souls is so way ahead of the curve with its online features. Stuff like that, or the time the Red Phantom invaded my game in 4-2 and rolled off the edge of the level to his death, was just so damn memorable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
bone_and_sinew said:
Well if worse comes to worse you can get someone to delevel you through soulsucker or delevel yourself through invading then using white eyes stone. You can delevel everything except hp. But yeah, I'd have loved a formal delevel option through the Maiden in Black.

I cannot use PSN for the sole reason that the internet connection in my country sucks real bad :( A proper and stable broadband Internet connection here is so goddamn expensive ;_;

Just have to make do with only offline components. That's why I scoured the Internet for proper guides/builds for this game the moment I got it--the worst part is, all the information coming in was actually kind of overwhelming for my noobish mind, hahaha.

I first chose Knight, then Wanderer, before finally realizing that I sort-of-liked the agile and cool-looking aspect of the Thief.

But then I saw everybody and their moms suggested Royal, hahaha.

I killed the boss of 1-2 really easily now I've got the soul arrow, and I managed to kill the boss of 2-1 fairly easily by running up and spamming him with slashes, refilling my health every 15 seconds or so, haha.

So after ten hours that's now three levels finished!

Really, really loving it now.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I killed the boss of 1-2 really easily now I've got the soul arrow, and I managed to kill the boss of 2-1 fairly easily by running up and spamming him with slashes, refilling my health every 15 seconds or so, haha.

So after ten hours that's now three levels finished!

Really, really loving it now.

Don't worry, you'll hate it again when you get to maneater.

Oh, I'm totally expecting to have a love/hate relationship with the later levels, as I know I won't stay this powerful and enemies will again start absolutely raping me.

The thing is, now it's clicked and I've seen the great side of the game. I feel like I won't get discouraged and will slug through any of the bits that kick my ass now. If you compare that to my posts in this thread in the last 48 hours, that's a huge change in attitude.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Laughing Banana said:
I cannot use PSN for the sole reason that the internet connection in my country sucks real bad :( A proper and stable broadband Internet connection here is so goddamn expensive ;_;

Just have to make do with only offline components. That's why I scoured the Internet for proper guides/builds for this game the moment I got it--the worst part is, all the information coming in was actually kind of overwhelming for my noobish mind, hahaha.

I first chose Knight, then Wanderer, before finally realizing that I sort-of-liked the agile and cool-looking aspect of the Thief.

But then I saw everybody and their moms suggested Royal, hahaha.
Well, the classes are pretty much irrelevant once you decide what direction to build your character. I started out a soldier but later became a mage with supplemental melee on my first character. Everything that each class possesess is available to be bought or looted eventually throughout the course of the game. Treat your first character as an experiment. Since you're not playing pvp, high soul level doesn't matter so you can afford to pump extra levels into stats you later deem irrelevant. The only penalty is leveling gets more expensive but that's no big deal with a little grinding or duping if you're not being judicious with your souls. Just play the way you have most fun with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh, I'm totally expecting to have a love/hate relationship with the later levels, as I know I won't stay this powerful and enemies will again start absolutely raping me.

The thing is, now it's clicked and I've seen the great side of the game. I feel like I won't get discouraged and will slug through any of the bits that kick my ass now. If you compare that to my posts in this thread in the last 48 hours, that's a huge change in attitude.

Hehe, you should see my first posts in this thread- er, I guess it was the OT1. But yeah... happens to all of us. A big turning point for me was when someone gave me the advice "don't play mad." :lol

I think I saw you mention something about losing 8000-some souls and being annoyed about it... bwahah

I think my record for most lost in one shot is 180000 :'( You'll come to love the punishment.

180,000?

I'd kill myself.

I am feeling good about being a character that relies on melee 90% of the time, though, after lots of people warned me that might be the hardest way to get into the game :) I'm no master, by any means, but I'm definitely getting some good skills. I love the fighting mechanics in the game.

My main gripe about this game is how just about everything requires a FAQ or Wiki to do. I understand that "community" is an integral part of the game but it still pains me to do. I'm playing on New Game+, so there are pretty much no more loot upgrades out there anymore unless I go for some rare gear.

The crafting system sucks. Mats are too rare and getting them is too grindy.

Also hate world tendency and overjoyed to see that it's going away in Dark Souls. Locking away significant portions of an online game based on a factor that's almost completely out of your control, unless you play in offline mode, which defeats the purpose of the entire game? So stupid.

Just venting/whining. Probably 99% ill-informed, too. No need to worry. I still love the game.

Solstice said:
I dunno, I did my first two play-throughs of DS without consulting the Wiki at all.

Not so much for getting through the game, but just for doing side-quests, rare loot, and stuff. The more I think about it, the more it all goes back to world tendency. NPCs randomly appearing/disappearing/saying certain things only when in pure black/pure white world tendency, etc. You have to FAQ when the NPCs appear to even start anything because it's all based on tendency.

And even if you do happen to know that you need say, pure white tendency to open a door, you have the FAQ how to get that too. The game never tells you, or even gives you any hints whatsoever, as to how to change your or world tendency.

It doesn't help if that, if you're trying to figure it out on your own, the tendencyometer that they give you is ridiculously hard to read, either.

Mister Zimbu said:
Not so much for getting through the game, but just for doing side-quests, rare loot, and stuff. The more I think about it, the more it all goes back to world tendency. NPCs randomly appearing/disappearing/saying certain things only when in pure black/pure white world tendency, etc. You have to FAQ when the NPCs appear to even start anything because it's all based on tendency.

And even if you do happen to know that you need say, pure white tendency to open a door, you have the FAQ how to get that too. The game never tells you, or even gives you any hints whatsoever, as to how to change your or world tendency.

It doesn't help if that, if you're trying to figure it out on your own, the tendencyometer that they give you is ridiculously hard to read, either.
Can't the same be said about a lot of RPGs though? Take Final Fantasy XII as an example. You can get through the game, but to get everything, you pretty much need an FAQ. Hell, that goes for almost any FF, except the abominational linearity of FFXIII.

Solstice said:
Can't the same be said about a lot of RPGs though? Take Final Fantasy XII as an example. You can get through the game, but to get everything, you pretty much need an FAQ. Hell, that goes for almost any FF, except the abominational linearity of FFXIII.

The gripe is more that the gear progression completely stops when you play NG+ unless you start FAQ'ing how to get the rare gear.

I guess I'm more expecting something like PSO where Hard/Very Hard/Ultimate enemies and dungeons actually drop weapons and armor appropriate for their level.

desa

I have yet to beat maneater. =( I think he's the last boss I need to kill. That was last year. With all this Dark Souls Hype, I wanna return to smash that mofo but I'm afraid my skills will not be up to par. I'll probably end up starting all over.

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:

Congrats.

That's really when it clicked for me as well, somewhere around 2 or 3 levels in. For me, 1-2 boss was a bottleneck. I must have fought him between 10 and 15 times before I took him down. It wasn't after a long string of attempts either. I loaded it up, went through 1-2 yet again, and beat him on the first attempt that play session. once that was over, I finally understood where the game was coming from, and absolutely fell in love with it. Many people that don't like the game don't seem to get past those first 2 or 3 levels.

desa said:
I have yet to beat maneater. =( I think he's the last boss I need to kill. That was last year. With all this Dark Souls Hype, I wanna return to smash that mofo but I'm afraid my skills will not be up to par. I'll probably end up starting all over.

He is hard, but you can do it. Don't roll to the side to dodge his attacks, you'll fall too often. Roll straight ahead into his attack, or if your timing is really good, roll into the direction of his lunge, and come up swinging right next to him.

For a game with such great level design, these caves in 2-2 are horrrible to navigate. Absolutely no idea where I'm going. Ended up teleporting back to the Nexus, haha. I need to find a way to kill those fire bugs quickly, because after I run out of soul arrows I can spend a good 3/4 minutes hacking away at them before they die.

FTH said:
You inspire me.
It was difficult, believe me. I restarted the game three times when I got it because I couldn't find a build I liked. But it was well worth it. That's a true feeling of accomplishment.
Foliorum Viridum said:
For a game with such great level design, these caves in 2-2 are horrrible to navigate. Absolutely no idea where I'm going. Ended up teleporting back to the Nexus, haha. I need to find a way to kill those fire bugs quickly, because after I run out of soul arrows I can spend a good 3/4 minutes hacking away at them before they die.
That's one of the things I loved about the 2-2 caves, actually. Also, that's why you get the Augite of Guidance stones. They'll help you to see if you've been somewhere before. I used the hell out of those things in 2-2, as well as 3-2.

Solstice said:
It was difficult, believe me. I restarted the game three times when I got it because I couldn't find a build I liked. But it was well worth it. That's a true feeling of accomplishment.

That's one of the things I loved about the 2-2 caves, actually. Also, that's why you get the Augite of Guidance stones. They'll help you to see if you've been somewhere before. I used the hell out of those things in 2-2, as well as 3-2.

What was the build you went with? I never seemed to have an issue with the caves. I always liked to jump off the cliffs to get down quickly.

darkjedi187 said:
What was the build you went with? I never seemed to have an issue with the caves. I always liked to jump off the cliffs to get down quickly.
Believe it or not, my first time to make it through 1-1 alive, I went Barbarian. It just seemed to work so well for me. And are you talking about the big fire bugs or the little ones?

sublimit

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

I had the same problem at first but the messages left on the ground kinda helped me to navigate a bit better.
As for the fire bugs the best way to kill them for me was with an upgraded short spear.Also equip the thief ring and notice their movement patterns.

When I was playing there was no messages on the ground :( I found my way out, now, so hopefully I'll be able to get back there easily again when I'm ready to fight the boss. I have tried taking the right route and jumping down, which seems like it should be a huge time saver, but whenever I get to a certain point I can't see anything to jump onto and just plummet right down to the bottom and die.

I also just killed the dragon in 1-2, which meant I was able to explore the new area that opens up. I was expecting just a bit of loot, but the fact that
those red enemies spawn and then that crazy enemy with the axe is waiting for you inside
made shooting those 100+ arrows into that damn dragon absolutely worth it.

sublimit

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I have tried taking the right route and jumping down, which seems like it should be a huge time saver, but whenever I get to a certain point I can't see anything to jump onto and just plummet right down to the bottom and die.

Are you talking about the shortcut where you jump on the ramps to get down?

Yep. I make it a long way down, but then I end up on a plank with no other planks below me, other than one slightly lower down on the opposite side.

I figured maybe my stats weren't good enough to survive falling that far, if that's the lowest down you can get. It's no real biggie, I can get through the left path with the caves fairly quickly now.

sublimit

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yep. I make it a long way down, but then I end up on a plank with no other planks below me, other than one slightly lower down on the opposite side.

I figured maybe my stats weren't good enough to survive falling that far, if that's the lowest down you can get. It's no real biggie, I can get through the left path with the caves fairly quickly now.

I don't think stats matter a lot for those jumps...if i remember correctly
you need to walk- jump for the first 2 ramps and then you have to do a running jump for the last one,otherwise you may fall in between the ramps.

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:

A couple of drops you have to walk slowly into the rock wall, and barely sliver yourself off the edge of the wood to land correctly below (so you fall as sideways as possible, rather than full ahead.) Even a tad too much angle outwards or too much speed, and you'll clear the landing below and die. there are two falls just like this back to back.

oracrest said:
A couple of drops you have to walk slowly into the rock wall, and barely sliver yourself off the edge of the wood to land correctly below (so you fall as sideways as possible, rather than full ahead.) Even a tad too much angle outwards or too much speed, and you'll clear the landing below and die. there are two falls just like this back to back.
It's funny how that becomes second nature after a while. On NG+++, I could pretty much do it with my eyes closed. =P

I was being an idiot and not doing one bit of it right. Now I've done it four times in a row perfectly.

The boss is kicking my ass, but hey, I can get to it quick now!

MMaRsu

I have yet to pass through the swamp :(

Two fuckers waiting on that little piece of land with three other small enemies..

sublimit

Banned
MMaRsu said:

Two fuckers waiting on that little piece of land with three other small enemies..

Do you have the Lava bow?If you do equip the thieves ring and shoot arrows from a distance at the giant trolls.They will not be able to find you,but you may need to backtrack a bit after you shoot an arrow.If you don't have the Lava bow then use an upgraded long bow.

Dyno

MMaRsu said:

Thief ring to get there. Dragon weapon to fight. Get up on that land DO NOT start fighting them at the shore. Once at land I like to lock onto one of the big ones. Side walk and roll taking only one swing of the weapon when you can. Thin them out. Stay on solid land. They are slow to target you but once they do they charge with great momentum. You have time to prepare for the charge so dodge out of the way and hit with the weapon. Eventually you'll be king of the hill.

Above all that little skirmish teaches you to master your fear. It's a true bitch, I know.

sublimit said:
Do you have the Lava bow?If you do equip the thieves ring and shoot arrows from a distance at the giant trolls.They will not be able to find you,but you may need to backtrack a bit after you shoot an arrow.If you don't have the Lava bow then use an upgraded long bow.

If you do this make sure to stock up on Royal Lotus or the Cure spell. You will be poisoned many times. It does however work.

one85x

Shouldn't there only be one? If there's a BP Giant Depraved One sitting on that island, I'd say just skip it altogether.

ZeroRay said:
It's what your heart tells you.

But I usually do 2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-1, 2-2, 2-3, 5-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, 4-3, 1-3, 5-2, 5-3, and 1-4.

Not the most optimal way, and depending on your character, you can switch a few of these around. But I feel it's good for a players advancing skill level as they go along the game.

in what way are they laid out again? starting from the stairs on the bottom left and climbing up from there??? they are in order right?

Zoe

one85x said:
Shouldn't there only be one? If there's a BP Giant Depraved One sitting on that island, I'd say just skip it altogether.

I don't remember any non-human BP's...

Edit: scratch that, Octopus-head

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just got done by a BP in 5-2...

Gonna mark this in case people want a challenge, but anyone who's done 5-2 care to help, please?
She looked like she was wearing Old Raggedy Robes and brandishing the Meat Cleaver. She attacked me while I was trying to navigate the swamp...

However, I'm certain I was in offline mode. Is that normal?

Zoe

B-Genius said:
I just got done by a BP in 5-2...

Gonna mark this in case people want a challenge, but anyone who's done 5-2 care to help, please?
She looked like she was wearing Old Raggedy Robes and brandishing the Meat Cleaver. She attacked me while I was trying to navigate the swamp...

However, I'm certain I was in offline mode. Is that normal?

Yeah, it's normal.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, ok cheers. Guess I'll have another go tomorrow. Just freaked me out because it happened so fast, I felt well and truly ambushed.

God, this horrible swamp is gonna be my breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days. Last archstone! Gotta finish this game!

MidnightRider said:
in what way are they laid out again? starting from the stairs on the bottom left and climbing up from there??? they are in order right?
Yep :)

Took me a bit to realise that, haha. I was confused about how people referenced the levels until it twigged in the Nexus suddenly.

I just got a copy of this through the buy/sell/trade thread. PSN difficulties aside, I don't really have my PS3 hooked up to the internet very often, so I will probably be playing entirely solo. Any suggestions you guys have before I embark on my journey? The game sounds punishing, so any good general advice would be most welcome.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just got a copy of this through the buy/sell/trade thread. PSN difficulties aside, I don't really have my PS3 hooked up to the internet very often, so I will probably be playing entirely solo. Any suggestions you guys have before I embark on my journey? The game sounds punishing, so any good general advice would be most welcome.

Take your time going through the levels and learn enemy patterns. Don't be afraid to die. You will die. Alot.

Eccocid

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Leave your self confidence at door and play like a pussy!

Seriously the moment u feel confident is the moment u die in this game lol

sublimit

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:

-Have your shield always up.

-Do not underestimate even the weakest of enemies.

-Separate your mindset between progressing and farming.Don't worry about loosing souls (your "currency" for leveling) when you are progressing through the game.Dying a lot is normal in this game,because it has a trial and error mentality.

-Be careful when you hold the controler,sometimes it could be possible to hit a vendor or an important NPC by accident.

-Some enemies are better to avoid them (if you can) the first time you meet them.

-Enjoy the game!

GrotesqueBeauty said:

I'm going to give you the same advice I gave everyone else.

You. Will. Die.

A lot.

It happens to everyone when they first start. Just keep your cool and take your time. If you rush, mistakes will be made, and you'll die at the silliest spots.

way more

Mister Zimbu said:
My main gripe about this game is how just about everything requires a FAQ or Wiki to do. I understand that "community" is an integral part of the game but it still pains me to do. I'm playing on New Game+, so there are pretty much no more loot upgrades out there anymore unless I go for some rare gear.

I was so pissed when after reading a guide I realized I had been in white mode and failed to get the loot I wanted. Yeah, more guidance in the game would have made it more enjoyable. As it was, I just had to force myself not to care about the loots.

JackSmithy said:
Take your time going through the levels and learn enemy patterns. Don't be afraid to die. You will die. Alot.
Eccocid said:
Leave your self confidence at door and play like a pussy!

Seriously the moment u feel confident is the moment u die in this game lol
sublimit said:
-Have your shield always up.

-Do not underestimate even the weakest of enemies.

-Separate your mindset between progressing and farming.Don't worry about loosing souls (your "currency" for leveling) when you are progressing through the game.Dying a lot is normal in this game,because it has a trial and error mentality.

-Be careful when you hold the controler,sometimes it could be possible to hit a vendor or an important NPC by accident.

-Some enemies are better to avoid them (if you can) the first time you meet them.

-Enjoy the game!
Solstice said:
I'm going to give you the same advice I gave everyone else.

You. Will. Die.

A lot.

It happens to everyone when they first start. Just keep your cool and take your time. If you rush, mistakes will be made, and you'll die at the silliest spots.

summary=
asdffo.jpg

Zoe

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Don't let people scare you about the difficulty. I worried about it too much and therefore relied too much on following the wiki. As a result, the game has ended up being pretty easy.

Top Bottom