• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

roxya

MidnightRider said:
EDIT*** I also don't own a crossbow or bow yet. Where can I get one? I feel like the fire lizards in 2-1 would be a lot easier with a ranged weapon

Compound Long Bow in 4-1 somewhere.

i got a shit load of spices from world 3-1. there are squid magicians who drop them and then this lady had them on sale for 200 souls. nice!

on the negative side, i was killed by a black phantom and then on my way back to recover my soul i fell off a ledge -_-

Those squid enemies are the scariest in the game, even moreso than the red eye enemies. I can kill the red eye dudes pretty easily now, but I still need to sneak up on the squids to guarantee a clean kill. They can do some damage.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Those squid enemies are the scariest in the game, even moreso than the red eye enemies. I can kill the red eye dudes pretty easily now, but I still need to sneak up on the squids to guarantee a clean kill. They can do some damage.

their ringing bells are pretty creepy, but as a magician they are pretty easy to kill. i have the thieves ring on so they don't hear me until its too late. by the time they realize i'm there they are already dead!

but, there have been a couple times where i enter a corridor and they are right there on me. one nearly killed me with one hit.... it was some explosion spell. then i ran away and destroyed him from a distance! but i could see how they would be a pain in the ass if you were doing hand to hand against them

Grinchy

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i got a shit load of spices from world 3-1. there are squid magicians who drop them and then this lady had them on sale for 200 souls. nice!

on the negative side, i was killed by a black phantom and then on my way back to recover my soul i fell off a ledge -_-
hahaha

I love reading about people's deaths in this game. I'm well on my way to my platinum, and I'm trying so hard to do it legitimately.

Vitten

Foliorum Viridum said:
So, that grim reaper dude in 4-2... I think I've just found the new scariest enemy in the game. He utterly destroyed me, haha.

Haha, you'll soon learn to love that guy. He's everybody's favorite soul farm cow. Get yourself a bow, pick him off safely from a distance then suicide jump of the cliff. Rinse and repeat while of course always picking up your bloodstain along the way. You'll notice quite a lot of white ghosts around you doing the same.

Haha yeah I saw other people using bows so I copied them and it was a pretty easy kill. I was thinking of going there for grinding, too, it was an easy 4k! He's absolutely deadly up close, however, so I won't make that mistake again!

1-4 might be my new favourite level. I just ran through a lot of it and boy was it intense. I loved how I got to the big gate and all of a sudden that guy was begging me to let him through, little did I know he was being followed by
TWO RED KNIGHTS WTF.
Somehow I managed to take them both out, and as a reward I killed the friendly guy for his key that works in 1-1. Sorry, chap, but I've been curious about what's through that door since I started the game :) I haven't done the rest of 1-4 yet, but those are awfully daunting steps, I anticipate an epic boss.

I feel like I'm spamming up this thread with my gushing over this game today, ha.

daffy

Banned
I got the Dragon Bone Smasher on my second playthrough without even trying to get it! So happy :D

That guy who's #1 on the leaderboards has two! In each hand!! omg

But yeah, this game rules.

JEKKI

maaaan I jus started playing this game earlier this week.

beat 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1.

this game is confusing o_O I dont really kno how to play it other than to kill things...

I am a royal class coz I heard that mode is for scrubs, and when Im done with stage I usually jus spend all my souls on upgrades from the lady with the long candle thing...

not sure about weapons n armor n other stuff...

JEKKI said:
maaaan I jus started playing this game earlier this week.

this game is confusing o_O I dont really kno how to play it other than to kill things...

I am a royal class coz I heard that mode is for scrubs, and when Im done with stage I usually jus spend all my souls on upgrades from the lady with the long candle thing...

not sure about weapons n armor n other stuff...
I'm in the same boat. I am playing a Royal and using mostly magic. I got the Soul Ray spell and am doing pretty good. I've beaten 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and just got to the 4-1 boss and beat the optional boss there.

I'm using magician armor set and heater shield. No idea what weapons to get or shoot for.

For melee I have short spear if I'm bored or low on mana and don't want to waste spice.

daffy

Banned
JEKKI said:

Royalty class is actually the most underdeveloped class in the game. People say that because you're given a rare item that makes the game easier at the outset, but I think its harder to get up to speed and requires you to grind a lot more than the other classes. Its kind of like the rich kid royal that never left home class, because you're actually very weak but you have an expensive ring and a spell caster that makes things only slightly easier and a similar one can be found pretty early on.

The game will really start to open itself up once you kill the archdemon in World 2. That's around the time I fell in love with it anyway. You may want to consult a guide on upgrades, because the manual is skimpy and doesn't really inform you on how to upgrade properly. Just try a bunch of things and see what works. Also save the souls you get from bosses.

If you are connected to the internet, have you tried inviting people into your world? It makes the game a lot of fun. If they leave because you're a scrub just give them a low rating hehehehe

[btw does anyone know how to check your ratings from other people?]

Just finished 4-1, that boss was super easy. I've beaten the 3-1 and 4-1 boss as melee even though I'm magic based because I found it easier. I was having a hard time spell targeting the correct one in 3-1 and 4-1 was just easy to keep running to his right and stabbing him.

I still don't understand how all of you people who are doing "magic" people... even made it far?

doesn't it take a while before you can start doing a lot of magic at once?

or is that different than miracles ?

Vitten said:
Haha, you'll soon learn to love that guy. He's everybody's favorite soul farm cow. Get yourself a bow, pick him off safely from a distance then suicide jump of the cliff. Rinse and repeat while of course always picking up your bloodstain along the way. You'll notice quite a lot of white ghosts around you doing the same.

I need to do this

***EDIT*** another double post. my god I suck at not hitting reply... it's like I will highlight what I said. copy it to go out and edit my last post. and then tab space the reply :(

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just picked this game up (somehow avoiding the hype since its release). Once I'm done with The Witcher 2, I'm going all in. Should be fun, given what I've read on these forums.

MidnightRider said:
I still don't understand how all of you people who are doing "magic" people... even made it far?

I consider my Knight quite a magic focused character now and I only use Soul Arrows and Warding. Honestly, so far, that's all I've needed and with a bit of leveling on my magic skills they've become quite a deadly force.

I only use them for the real tough enemies, though, as I've got quite good at melee combat and I'm pretty darn deadly with my shield and sword.

Magic is absolutely different to miracles (it's around the other side of the Nexus, if you haven't found him - such a stupid place to put him). I haven't tried any miracles because they all looked a bit crap, honestly.

So does anyone know exactly how you can raise your character tendency to Pure White? I keep finding conflicting information on Google. Does the Demon in the level still have to be alive for you to raise your character tendency when you defeat an invading Black Phantom?

MidnightRider said:

I found it a lot easier, at least starting out. You pretty much just snipe all the enemies and kill most before you even need to use your shield or roll out of danger. Targeting and defending yourself was the hardest part for me when I started out so it helped alleviate that problem.

SUBZERO-08 said:
So does anyone know exactly how you can raise your character tendency to Pure White? I keep finding conflicting information on Google. Does the Demon in the level still have to be alive for you to raise your character tendency when you defeat an invading Black Phantom?

Character Tendency doesn't really have anything to do with the bosses in a level in pure offline play.

Movement towards white tendency will happen if you kill Black Phantom NPCs (they'll only show up when you have Pure Black WORLD tendency).

Movement towards black tendency will happen if you kill certain NPCs that are friendly to you.

These changes are immediate (you don't have to exit the level for them to take affect like you do with world tendency).

With respect to raising your character tendency via online methods, if you kill an invading black phantom in a world your character tendency will move towards white only if the boss is still alive in that level.

theta11

SUBZERO-08 said:

You can only be invaded if the demon is alive. To raise your character tendecy you can kill invading Black Phantoms as well as kill the named Black Phantoms during PBWT, e.g. Satsuki. The only named Black Phantoms that doesn't count is Garl Vinland. Each Black Phantom raises character tendecy by 20% so you need to kill all 5 to move from PBCT to PWCT in offline mode. I'm not sure if Black Phantom kills as a Blue Phantom count.

mother... FUCKKKKKAAAH!!!

i just spent like an hour getting through level 2-2 and had accumulated like 12,000+ souls (there were 2 black phantoms there too!) and then i couldn't find my way on where i was going so i found a new path and killed these little fire guys pretty easily. then there were a bit bigger fire bugs after that (not gigantic like the ones in the lava, medium size) so i figure i'll just handle them and then i get to close and one of them jumps on me, taking half my energy, then the other jumps on me before i can recover. dead!

ok no biggie, i'll speed back there. i'm approaching where i need to be and then i was trying to get there too fast and didn't pay attention to the cliff.... and i fell off and died. 12k souls down the drain!

barnone

I just started playing this and am having fun. I find it sad that the servers will go offline someday (October?), so I hope Dark Souls is a good successor to this.

What do I do with these souls I pick up and put in my inventory? After killing the Phalanx I just used the big demon soul he dropped and got 1500 souls. Whats the point of having them in your inventory besides not losing them when you die?

Also, I am a Temple Knight or whatever. Any advice? I was thinking that I need to find a good spear to use, and a new shield. I ran through 4-1 and picked up that magical falchion. It's cool.

theta11

FrenchMovieTheme said:

i just spent like an hour getting through level 2-2 and had accumulated like 12,000+ souls (there were 2 black phantoms there too!) and then i couldn't find my way on where i was going so i found a new path and killed these little fire guys pretty easily. then there were a bit bigger fire bugs after that (not gigantic like the ones in the lava, medium size) so i figure i'll just handle them and then i get to close and one of them jumps on me, taking half my energy, then the other jumps on me before i can recover. dead!

ok no biggie, i'll speed back there. i'm approaching where i need to be and then i was trying to get there too fast and didn't pay attention to the cliff.... and i fell off and died. 12k souls down the drain!
It's no biggie. The most souls I've lost at once was 1.2m. XD

Ill Saint

barnone said:
I just started playing this and am having fun. I find it sad that the servers will go offline someday (October?), so I hope Dark Souls is a good successor to this.

What do I do with these souls I pick up and put in my inventory? After killing the Phalanx I just used the big demon soul he dropped and got 1500 souls. Whats the point of having them in your inventory besides not losing them when you die?
Don't consume the souls you get from bosses (demon's souls), only the soldier's souls.

theta11

barnone said:

Also, I am a Temple Knight or whatever. Any advice? I was thinking that I need to find a good spear to use, and a new shield. I ran through 4-1 and picked up that magical falchion. It's cool.

The Heater Shield is pretty solid imo, the Steel Shield is also good and it's in 2-1. The Souls from bosses are used to make weapons and buy magic spells. The Mirdan Hammer is the only real "upgrade" to the Halberd since slashing damage sucks. You can find one in 5-2 or a drop in 2-2 from the Lizardmen. When I'm starting a new game I like to go to 5-1 and get the Blessed Mace or 4-1 and get the Crescent Falchion, both are good for Temple Knights and help with magic damage.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1.2m!? holy shit! how long did it take you to get those?

if i lost 1.2m souls i would just start punching air until my knuckles bled

Once you reach NG+ souls come in alot faster and you have less to spend them on especially in you stop leveling.

Old King Doran is impossible to kill. I got him to about half health by abusing his AI and spamming Soul Arrows, then he FUCKING USED HEALTH. ARGH.

How you're meant to kill him without using a cheap tactic is beyond me - I'm failing even with a cheap tactic!

Well... I can now say I love this game now that I have some magic and a bow.

I beat 1-2 and 3-1 tonight. My first two levels outside of 1-1!

I have a few questions still though.

What did y'all do with the red dragon soul? Eat it?

Also do y'all eat all those heros souls that you find laying on the ground or what?

FTH said:
I got the Dragon Bone Smasher on my second playthrough without even trying to get it! So happy :D

That guy who's #1 on the leaderboards has two! In each hand!! omg

How do You see the leaderboards and also how do you see the peoples character on the leaderboards?

MidnightRider said:
What did y'all do with the red dragon soul? Eat it?

Also do y'all eat all those heros souls that you find laying on the ground or what?
You can consume it for souls, or better yet. Dupe it with the Thomas glitch.

daffy

Banned
MidnightRider said:
How do You see the leaderboards and also how do you see the peoples character on the leaderboards?
In the Nexus, at the very top of the area (keep climbing all the stairs you see) there is a wall that you can push through. Keep walking and you get to the roof area called the Pantheon I think.

In there it has multiple statue plates where you can view leaderboards of about Top 20 I believe, for multiple stats. It shows the character models and everything.

Havok

Foliorum Viridum said:
Old King Doran is impossible to kill. I got him to about half health by abusing his AI and spamming Soul Arrows, then he FUCKING USED HEALTH. ARGH.

How you're meant to kill him without using a cheap tactic is beyond me - I'm failing even with a cheap tactic!
Haha, I know how you feel. I finished up Boletaria today (fuck the False King, rushing enemies like him and Flamelurker can blow me) and decided to go grab Soulbrandt. So I wasn't even trying to actually kill him, just do the 25% damage needed, and I just kind of poked at him for 10 minutes or so, doing 5 damage per hit and never being in any danger. It's weird.

Only two more worlds to go for me; I've started 4-2, but haven't touched the Valley of Defilement at all after all the negativity about it. I'm sure that forcing myself through it will not ease its passage at all.

And also, definitely not a fan of the post-3-archdemon Nexus organ music, I liked the calming effect the Nexus had before.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Foliorum Viridum said:

I didn't even get to fight him my first playthrough since Ostrava died in 1-1 after I rescued him and my noob ass had no idea. I didn't fight him until NG+, holy fuck was that hard. I fought him in a straight up melee duel using Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5, Adjudicator's Shield +5 (to recover health fast cause if I grassed, so did he), and a mix of Dark Silver Armor and Sage's Robes. I rushed the fuck out of him with 2-handed BMD+5 and I still only barely beat him.

bone_and_sinew said:
I didn't even get to fight him my first playthrough since Ostrava died in 1-1 after I rescued him and my noob ass had no idea. I didn't fight him until NG+, holy fuck was that hard. I fought him in a straight up melee duel using Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5, Adjudicator's Shield +5 (to recover health fast cause if I grassed, so did he), and a mix of Dark Silver Armor and Sage's Robes. I rushed the fuck out of him with 2-handed BMD+5 and I still only barely beat him.
If he dies he still drops the key - you just have to collect it before you return to the Nexus I think. Happened to me too (the dying part) but I could pick up the key where he died.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

As the other guy said, not a big deal. You will lose many, many more - better get accustomed to the idea :).

Foliorum Viridum said:

If you are low level it's almost impossible I'd say because you will probably die of boredom - just so tedious.
I finished him later on (Royalty Mage) with Poison Cloud, Thief's ring and a lot of backstabs with my Crescent Uchigatana. Cast cloud, lure out, sneak from behind when he's turning his back, backstab, repeat. There's probably faster ways though, maybe a big knockdown sword or something, dunno.

Foliorum Viridum said:

You can try even a cheaper tactic (poison cloud) it was so cheap I stopped it before he died, it was almost disgraful. lol

If you're going to melee him, you can use high range weapons (keel smasher, the mirdan hammer....) to hit him while keeping a distance to his deadly attacks, even so he is quite deadly, other possibility is bringing him to some closed space (behind the pillars in he mausoleum) so his attacks will hit some wall o pillar.

Anyway, he is hard but felt so good to kill him on a proper match.

I may look in to poison cloud... >_> I got the sword but I read he has pretty bad ass armour if you kill him and I haven't got new armour in SUCH a long time. It would be nice to have some new gear, I've been wearing the same stuff for about 15 hours now.

one85x

I always cheese that guy :/

There's an invisible line, that once he passes, he will just completely stop attacking. If you can stop him from crossing back over that line, then you have a very easy kill on your hands.

Vitten

Foliorum Viridum said:
I may look in to poison cloud... >_> I got the sword but I read he has pretty bad ass armour if you kill him and I haven't got new armour in SUCH a long time. It would be nice to have some new gear, I've been wearing the same stuff for about 15 hours now.

His A.I. routine can be easily exploited for backstabs. Equip the thief ring, lure him and run away from him until he loses interest in you and starts walking back to the mausoleum. Now run up to him for a cheap backstab and repeat the process.
I would greatly advice using hyper mode to speed up the fight.

Well I finally bought Demons Souls after gaf going crazy about it since it came out. Beat the first boss he was surprisingly easy considering the knight with the red eyes owned me around 3 times, I took him down in like 3 mins and it was pretty obvious to use the fire sword powerup, but any ways my question is what path should I go on from here like should I do the levels in order and also what other important items should I pick up now. So far I have the thief and cling ring. Also how often should I upgrade my armor so far the only item ive bought is that shield in the store for like 2000 souls, but yeah im loving the game it strangely reminds me off Monster Hunter for some reason.

what kind of equipment should i upgrade if i'm a magician? i don't use too many melee weapons, but i have a bunch of different materials that are just sitting in my safe. if i upgrade my little magic stick does it improve my magic casting?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what kind of equipment should i upgrade if i'm a magician? i don't use too many melee weapons, but i have a bunch of different materials that are just sitting in my safe. if i upgrade my little magic stick does it improve my magic casting?
I would probably upgrade a Kris Blade to +5, and try to get a Monk's Head Wrappings.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:

Save them for when you need just a little bit more to level up, or are in dire need of some healing items, and have 0 souls.

Top Bottom