• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just got a copy of this through the buy/sell/trade thread. PSN difficulties aside, I don't really have my PS3 hooked up to the internet very often, so I will probably be playing entirely solo. Any suggestions you guys have before I embark on my journey? The game sounds punishing, so any good general advice would be most welcome.

Go in blind, and don't fret about what you're missing. You can't "get" everything in the game in a single playthrough anyways. There are many secrets, and it makes several playthroughs in still a rewarding and fresh experience.

Also, pay no heed to lost souls when you die. They feel like a lot, but they really aren't. The experience you gain as a player learning the environments and combat is much more important then stat upgrades, an getting to the next stat level is never far off if you focus on it.

Share your stories, and enjoy!

I can now play this game, since I'm going to spend some, if not all, of the summer unemployed. Thanks for the "don't be a completionist, just roll with it" advice, even if it was initially directed at someone else

Is all the online stuff still functional?

i-Lo said:
Quick question: Is there ANY way to acquire a Pure Bladestone in 4-2 WITHOUT having Pure black world tendency?
You can try to farm the black dual wielding katana skeleton in the hidden hallway, but its super rare.

I don't really understand this light/dark mechanic. I got 1-2 to be light by killing the dragon (I knew to do that due to a hint someone left on the floor) but other than that I have absolutely no idea what changes it and what benefits I get from being light/dark. Did I miss something or has the game completely failed to explain it to me?

Also, why do people leave comments saying they're in trouble and asking for recommendation? They're everywhere and it just feels like spam to me. I recommend good comments that lead me to hidden loot or gives me a heads up about a difficult section, but those messages just annoy me.

I can't beat the boss of 2-2 at the moment so I'm slowly exploring 3-1. Fuck me, what a creepy level. Love it.

Also, I've had nobody join my game despite using the stone a lot. :( I don't really want to play it in co-op or anything, as I'm treating it as a single player experience with the other players running around being a cool little treat, but it would be nice for it to happen once. Just once!

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't really understand this light/dark mechanic. I got 1-2 to be light by killing the dragon (I knew to do that due to a hint someone left on the floor) but other than that I have absolutely no idea what changes it and what benefits I get from being light/dark. Did I miss something or has the game completely failed to explain it to me?

Also, why do people leave comments saying they're in trouble and asking for recommendation? They're everywhere and it just feels like spam to me. I recommend good comments that lead me to hidden loot or gives me a heads up about a difficult section, but those messages just annoy me.

I can't beat the boss of 2-2 at the moment so I'm slowly exploring 3-1. Fuck me, what a creepy level. Love it.

Also, I've had nobody join my game despite using the stone a lot. :( I don't really want to play it in co-op or anything, as I'm treating it as a single player experience with the other players running around being a cool little treat, but it would be nice for it to happen once. Just once!

When black world tendency is achieved, the enemies become more difficult to battle, but reward you with more souls, and drop rare items more often. Special "common black phantom" enemies will appear throughout the level as well, adding an extra challenge. With White world tendency, the opposite is true. In both instances, special events may happen on a per level basis. for example, in level 1-1, if you have pure white world tendency, a previously locked door that is off to the left near where you begin will be open, and you can explore in the area beyond. Another factor with world tendency is that there is a "server average" that will influence your local game when you connect online. This is why most players that are focusing on world tendency specifically will do so when playing offline, so that they have total control over it.

Once these world tendency areas/doors are reached, they remain open forever, even if the tendency changes later. When you die in body form in a level, that level's tendency will shift towards black. When you kill a boss, it will shift towards white. Those are the main ways to change it, but there are also others. These changes are only reflected once you go back to the Nexus.

With messages, when a player recommends your message, your character will be fully healed in your game. When you see someone's "recommend this!" message, it probably means they are out of herbs, and waiting for someone to help them out from another game, or maybe they are fighting a boss, and hoping to get the occasional health boost throughout the fight. I left many messages across several playthroughs, but most of the time, they were recommended when I wasn't playing. Only a few times did I get my message recommended when playing, and get a full health boost. One thing I didn't discover until a while into playing is that you don't need to be on the message to recommend it. It only needs to be the last one you read. So, if you see a "step forward" into a pit, and it ends up that you land on an unseen cliff with a special item, you can still recommend that last message that is way above you.

Goddamn. That's pretty vital information. Thanks very much! :) Dark Souls really needs to explain the mechanics of the game better, because without this thread and some Google searches, I would be pretty clueless about a lot of important things, even now after 15 hours of play.

I think 3-1 has been my favourite level so far. Such amazing atmosphere and the boss fight at the end was really cool. I got worried when
the flying enemies picked me up after I killed the boss, though, because I was expecting another fight then, haha.
I'm going to head back to 2-2 to try and kill that boss as I have much better health and magic now, especially after saving that mage from the cell who goes back to the Nexus and using the boss souls for the better spells. I'm really glad I read in this thread to save the boss souls now, definitely worth it.

oracrest

Yeah, the information is hard, or next to impossible to discover just on your own, but I think in the end, it's one of the greatest reasons why the DS community is so strong.

I personally loved playing games growing up before internet, and having to talk to your friends at school to see what secrets they discovered, or how they got past a certain part of the game that I was stuck on. I especially remember some other kid telling me and a friend about the Contra 30 lives code on the bus ride home, and scrawling it on my notebook to go home and try it later. Because Demon's Souls is so elusive with many of it's systems, it kind of forces that same kind of community collaboration, and conjecture to happen in a way like it used to on the playground.

It's one of my favorite aspects of the game, for sure.

Now that online is back and kicking, I may fire this up again, if any of you guys out there need some help with anything...

oracrest said:
Yeah, the information is hard, or next to impossible to discover just on your own, but I think in the end, it's one of the greatest reasons why the DS community is so strong.

I personally loved playing games growing up before internet, and having to talk to your friends at school to see what secrets they discovered, or how they got past a certain part of the game that I was stuck on. I especially remember some other kid telling me and a friend about the Contra 30 lives code on the bus ride home, and scrawling it on my notebook to go home and try it later. Because Demon's Souls is so elusive with many of it's systems, it kind of forces that same kind of community collaboration, and conjecture to happen in a way like it used to on the playground.

It's one of my favorite aspects of the game, for sure.

Now that online is back and kicking, I may fire this up again, if any of you guys out there need some help with anything...
It does have a sort of old school charm, but it's a bit too obtuse at times. The little things that just happen if you do a certain chain if events are great, but stuff like the white/dark mechanic and how the messages work really do need to be explained from the beginning, IMO.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
There is nothing more awesome than getting your message recommended in the middle of a boss fight when you have a pixel of health left and you're backpedaling with your shield up or rolling like crazy desperately waiting for an opening to grass but it ain't there. It happened to me yesterday when Flamelurker was in berserker mode. I feel like Goku after having been given a Senzu bean when it happens.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Goddamn. That's pretty vital information. Thanks very much! :) Dark Souls really needs to explain the mechanics of the game better, because without this thread and some Google searches, I would be pretty clueless about a lot of important things, even now after 15 hours of play.

I think 3-1 has been my favourite level so far. Such amazing atmosphere and the boss fight at the end was really cool. I got worried when
the flying enemies picked me up after I killed the boss, though, because I was expecting another fight then, haha.
I'm going to head back to 2-2 to try and kill that boss as I have much better health and magic now, especially after saving that mage from the cell who goes back to the Nexus and using the boss souls for the better spells. I'm really glad I read in this thread to save the boss souls now, definitely worth it.

lucky you.

i can't even use any magic :(

I have some magic... at least it says HEAL when I press up on the d-pad... just nothing happens :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
Dark Souls really needs to explain the mechanics of the game better, because without this thread and some Google searches, I would be pretty clueless about a lot of important things, even now after 15 hours of play.
this is precisely one of the TOP reasons i love demon's souls. game doesn't give a FUCK if you know whats going on. it makes the community aspect of the game that much more endearing since we all have to come together to figure everything out. i hope dark souls leaves things as ambiguous as possible.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
lucky you.

i can't even use any magic :(

I have some magic... at least it says HEAL when I press up on the d-pad... just nothing happens :(

You need to have equipped in your hand the proper item that allows you to cast spells/miracles.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Dark Souls really needs to explain the mechanics of the game better, because without this thread and some Google searches, I would be pretty clueless about a lot of important things, even now after 15 hours of play.

If it makes you feel any better, the first time I played through Demon's Souls, my character was encumbered by armor the entire time, and I had no idea. Still beat it though...

Rabbitwork said:
this is precisely one of the TOP reasons i love demon's souls. game doesn't give a FUCK if you know whats going on. it makes the community aspect of the game that much more endearing since we all have to come together to figure everything out. i hope dark souls leaves things as ambiguous as possible.
Something as simple as a "hints on/off" option in the menu would be cool.

I'm not saying that I want arrows on the ground or anything, but explaining the most fundamental aspects of the game is important in modern games. I mean, I like this thread and I appreciate the help I've got, but I'd rather not rely on a forum/FAQs just to understand gameplay features. The more obscure stuff? Sure.

Mana Sin

Going to go and get myself killed by the flamelurker because I dunno how to get back to the nexus without warping. Is he weak against anything in particular? Also, piercing or slashing weapons?

Mana Sin said:
Going to go and get myself killed by the flamelurker because I dunno how to get back to the nexus without warping. Is he weak against anything in particular? Also, piercing or slashing weapons?

He's extremely weak to magic.

oracrest

Mana Sin said:

I seem to have an easier time with him when I don't lock on. You can get into a sprint faster when he charges at you.

Thanks for all the kind tips guys, I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I look forward to getting my ass handed to me. The recurring theme here seems to be not to get too worked up about dying, because it will happen. I'm also relieved to hear that for the most part your character stays at a level plateau when you die, even if you lose all your "current" souls. Somehow I was under the impression (even after watching/reading a few reviews) that you could lose everything in a battle, which would be a bit much to handle.

And oracrest, it was some of your assurances a while back when I was poking around trying to figure out whether or not to try the game that helped push me over the edge into a purchase. Of course, if it's a terrible experience I know whose magazine rack to knock over now!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Mana Sin said:
Use sticky white stuff on your weapons. Piercing/slashing don't matter since his defense is equal in both.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not saying that I want arrows on the ground or anything, but explaining the most fundamental aspects of the game is important in modern games.
its like you don't even understand what makes demon's souls amazing.

i guess a hint system wouldn't be terrible, but i'd definitely turn it off.

Could you sound more patronising?

I've been gushing over the game for the last two days - I don't think it's that unreasonable to have some criticisms of a game that's so obtuse with what it chooses to teach the player.

Rabbitwork said:

its like you don't even understand what makes demon's souls amazing.

i guess a hint system wouldn't be terrible, but i'd definitely turn it off.

I certainly love Demon's Souls. It is easily my favorite game on the PS3 and its fantastic in almost every way, but never explaining the world tendency mechanic, a very important game mechanic and essential for collecting many items and properly exploring levels, in any way, shape or form is a failing of the game. The game explains when leveling up exactly what the different stats you can level effect and how much they will effect them. As it should, of course. But the world tendency screen is incomprehensible. Not only is it impossible to understand without actually researching it outside of the game, you can't properly measure your world tendency, what effects it, or what it even does.

There is no reason the world tendency screen can't say: "World tendency effects the difficulty of the enemies. In addition, certain world tendencies will open up certain paths to you. X actions lower your world tendency towards black, Y actions lower your tendency towards white." And then provide bars for each of the levels so you can accurately judge your world tendency.

By your logic, the game explaining that vitality increases your HP among other stats is simply dumbing it down.

Mortrialus said:
By your logic, the game explaining that vitality increases your HP among other stats is simply dumbing it down.
actually no, by my logic demon's souls encourages an active community by forcing players to aggregate information together. i didn't say anything about the game being "dumbed down" because of additional tutorial elements.

i just really enjoy its barebones approach to teaching you how to play. there is something to be said for learning how things work by experiencing them as opposed to being told.

one85x

Well to be fair, the information is there. It's just in one place that no one ever looks, the manual. A one-time pop up (or even an alternate screen) the first time you visit the World Tendency screen would do wonders though.

Rabbitwork said:
i just really enjoy its barebones approach to teaching you how to play. there is something to be said for learning how things work by experiencing them as opposed to being told.
But the only way I've learned about Wold Tendency is by being told. It's just I was told by one nice poster in this thread rather than by the game.

I don't see how one is different from the other. Yes, a strong community is good and I'm not saying that should be taken away, but you won't kill a community just by explaining fundamental game mechanics. People will still congregate to discuss tactics, different experiences, etc etc.

Clearly you like that the game tells you nothing, but had the game explained World Tendency and how the messaging system works entirely within the first two minutes of the game, would it have detracted from the other countless hours you invested into the game and meant you didn't participate in the community as much? Surely not.

Ill Saint

As one85x just mentioned, all the info that's being discussed (and that peopl complain is impossible to find out on your own) such as world tendancy, player messages, crafting etc. is laid out plainly in the manual.

I personally think that the medium is getting to the point where not having the information in the game itself is pretty inexcusable, especially as we move closer to a digital distribution future.

To me, reading a manual is just as bad as having to Google an issue. I shouldn't have to rely on an external source for information in a game.

Ill Saint said:
As one85x just mentioned, all the info that's being discussed (and that peopl complain is impossible to find out on your own) such as world tendancy, player messages, crafting etc. is laid out plainly in the manual.

I never said it was impossible to figure out on your own. I simply said the world tendency screen is incomprehensible. Everything else in the game is either self demonstrating (Controls, level design, traps, enemies and bosses) or actually explained (Controls again, leveling, stats and what they do,) except World Tendency. Everything else in the game is learned and mastered appropriately or at least explained in the context of the game except world tendency.

I will admit that in the face of the overwhelming good of the game, it is an extremely minor complaint. Its simply that the game is so good that little things like how poorly designed the world tenancy screen is stands out.

Also, I don't mind the real time inventory, but the game should have a pause in offline mode. Another minor grip given how the player is safe as long as enemies aren't in the immediate vicinity, but still a failing.

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
...but you won't kill a community just by explaining fundamental game mechanics. People will still congregate to discuss tactics, different experiences, etc etc.

Clearly you like that the game tells you nothing, but had the game explained World Tendency and how the messaging system works entirely within the first two minutes of the game, would it have detracted from the other countless hours you invested into the game?

For me, I consider the world tendency to be anything but a fundamental mechanic. There are some cool secret areas to explore, and encounters that you can find with it, but at the end of the day, they are still just very optional secrets to be discovered. No showstoppers, really. I can be a terrifying and exciting curveball the game throws at you when you round a familiar corner, and suddenly standing there is a menacing black and red-rimmed enemy waiting for you. Like... "What the fuck is that doing there?"

With the servers historically offering month-long white world and black world tendency events on occasion, many of these secrets can be discovered and experienced without even knowing that you are discovering a secret. It may only be during a later playthrough that you pause and ask "Why is this tunnel blocked now?" This happened to me with two different unlockable areas in Tower of Latria.

It's strange, because I normally hate things like in a Final Fantasy you NEED the guidebook to do the correct series of steps to get some ultimate spell or weapon, or what have you. It feels cheap, like they're just trying to sell more guidebooks, and it frustrates me to no end that you couldn't discover those things with the game alone. But the way Demon's Souls does it, it just feels different. It feels more like discovering some deeply hidden room or item in Super Metroid, and getting an incredible sense of achievement for discovering it out of the blue, and on your own. The way the mechanic is structured, there is a good chance that you will experience some world tendency specific thing throughout a playthrough purely by accident. I guess that's what makes the difference, you can still "stumble" upon these secrets pretty readily, while you could never accidentally stumble upon the "Knights of the Round" summon in Final Fantasy VII, for example.

oracrest

courtesy of 4chan, I think...

demons_souls_pony-n1302564203888.jpg

Dever

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I personally think that the medium is getting to the point where not having the information in the game itself is pretty inexcusable, especially as we move closer to a digital distribution future.

To me, reading a manual is just as bad as having to Google an issue. I shouldn't have to rely on an external source for information in a game.

I think the developer admitted things like world tendency and how to upgrade your equipment were too vague and will be changed in Dark Souls. I agree that the game should've told you at least on some level what world tendency was about. Having to bring a certain demon soul to a certain blacksmith to access important upgrades was pretty crazy imo as well.

So in 4-1 I've found out how best to kill those crazy skeletons that dance around me, I've got a good tactic for killing the flying ray things in the sky, and then I got scared by the gold guys but even they fall by my sword.

I'm feeling pretty good. I keep going, I encounter the second red knight that is blocking my progress (I ran like a bitch when I saw the first one) and he utterly slaughters me.

Fuck. -_- So now I have to decide whether I should try to take him on more, or go back to 2-2 and get killed by that boss again. Oh choices!

started up a new character (magician) and i'm liking it a lot more. not that i DIDNT like it as my warrior guy but im more of a sniper type to get people from a distance.

anyways, breezed through 1-1 but i was wondering is there some type of ring or other item i can get that can regenerate my magic? i seem to run out so fast and the fresh spice is so expensive.

also with the magician what do you recommend i spend my level ups on early? i have really been hitting the magic and intelligence almost exclusively to build them up but i don't know if some of those points would be better suited elsewhere. i got a purple shield after the dragons disappeared in 1-1 and i can't even use it :(

ZeroRay

FrenchMovieTheme said:
started up a new character (magician) and i'm liking it a lot more. not that i DIDNT like it as my warrior guy but im more of a sniper type to get people from a distance.

anyways, breezed through 1-1 but i was wondering is there some type of ring or other item i can get that can regenerate my magic? i seem to run out so fast and the fresh spice is so expensive.

also with the magician what do you recommend i spend my level ups on early? i have really been hitting the magic and intelligence almost exclusively to build them up but i don't know if some of those points would be better suited elsewhere. i got a purple shield after the dragons disappeared in 1-1 and i can't even use it :(

Royal is the best class for someone who wants to be a mage (also noobs) to start with. They have the Fragrant Ring which regenerates MP.

The Ring can also be found in 3-2, traded for a Brass telescope with Sparkly, or bought from Patches.

oracrest said:
Good to hear you're enjoying it. What level are you at? I will see if I have any characters in range to co-op if you want to.
Soul level 45 I think. I've done a fair bit of grinding! Mainly to increase my magic power as I really need it to kill the 2-2 boss.

Today I'm going to finish either 2-2. 3-2 or 4-1. Determined! I still find it quite funny I'm 20+ hours in and I've only completed four levels, ha. The weird thing is I still feel like I'm making progress, even though I'm dying in the same levels. My skills and techniques are increasing all the time.

Edit: God I'm glad the boss of 4-1 was piss easy with soul arrows. :D

Edit 2: Just managed to kill the 2-2 boss as well. That was intense as hell. I was juggling Warding, Soul Arrows and Late Moon Grass when rolling around like a nutter. Definitely proof that my skills have come a long way!

Edit 3: Hahaha, I just entered 2-3 and was
expecting a long slug through more mines, when all of a sudden I'm confronted by DRAGON GOD.
Now that was a surprise. At least he was easy to kill :) Now I can go back to 1-3 and see what lies ahead there!

Yes, I've basically been playing this game all afternoon >_>

oracrest

To make sure, your playing NA version, right?

I have characters leveled 1, 88, 108, and 142. I believe you need to be within 10 levels to join together in co-op. Maybe when you level up a bit more, I can join you with my magic user.

If anyone else wants to co-op sometime, let me know. I need to start a character and stick them in the 40's range for more options online...

this is a handy tool for figuring out level compatibility.

Nah, UK :)

I appreciate the offer but at the moment I'm quite enjoying playing it as a single player experience. If I get absolutely destroyed by a certain boss to the point where I can't do it, I may then turn to a GAFer! Haha.

I think I need a break from the game for today, as a 7 hour session is a teensy bit excessive! ^_^

Man... I'm struggling with this game. I hadn't played it on so long I forgot pretty much everything I knew about it.

thinking about adding some stones to my long sword and make it stronger and see if I can actually beat some people with it. haha

I thought I ate the first demons soul but turns out I didn't. YAY!

It's the only demon I have slayed :(

EDIT*** I also don't own a crossbow or bow yet. Where can I get one? I feel like the fire lizards in 2-1 would be a lot easier with a ranged weapon

Zzoram

i-Lo said:
Quick question: Is there ANY way to acquire a Pure Bladestone in 4-2 WITHOUT having Pure black world tendency?

Ya just grind dual katana skeletons. I don't think I had PBWT when I got mine. It only took me around an hour.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
Man... I'm struggling with this game. I hadn't played it on so long I forgot pretty much everything I knew about it.

thinking about adding some stones to my long sword and make it stronger and see if I can actually beat some people with it. haha

I thought I ate the first demons soul but turns out I didn't. YAY!

It's the only demon I have slayed :(

EDIT*** I also don't own a crossbow or bow yet. Where can I get one? I feel like the fire lizards in 2-1 would be a lot easier with a ranged weapon

Can you buy one from the merchant?

Top Bottom