• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Instro

zazrx said:
I don't think anyone answered me so I'll ask again, how exactly do you start a NG+ and how do I know I'm playing NG+?

As soon as you finish the game it kicks you into NG+ basically.

Joei

zazrx said:
I don't think anyone answered me so I'll ask again, how exactly do you start a NG+ and how do I know I'm playing NG+?

You start soon as you beat the game the first time and go through the ending. You start off, I believe, with all your items from before, except any key items. You also start off with all your levels and spells. The enemies are stronger, though I don't remember the exact percentage, and you also gain more xp from kills, though, again, I don't remember the exact percentage.

Sword Familiar said:
Although most people will advice against it, I always just turn the system off if I die against him, then reload. You'll start in the elevator before it goes up and will maintain everything you had prior to the fight, including lost souls/soul levels etc.. Call it cheating if you must, but it saves me the trouble of going all the way back there again, at least.

There's an incredibly cheap way to beat him. Soon as you zone in, start shooting him with arrows. I'm not sure if he's even visible on screen or not, but if you hit him you'll do damage and he won't charge at you. Keep doing this until he's dead. I assume you'd need a lot of arrows and ones that do decent damage to make this worthwhile.

Johnas

zazrx said:

When you finish the game, you start back in the Nexus again at the beginning of the game when you reload that game file. You still have all the gear you had on you before, same SL and all that.

Dever

Banned
MidnightRider said:
King Asshole is making me hate This game. Fuck that long ass run just to get beaten to death by him

I'm about to say fuck this game and be a quitter.

If you're wearing heavy armor that prevents you from rolling smoothly, take it off. I found it pretty essential for that boss.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
MidnightRider said:
King Asshole is making me hate This game. Fuck that long ass run just to get beaten to death by him

I'm about to say fuck this game and be a quitter.
1-4 is a high traffic area online, there's always people waiting to be summoned. The only way I was able to beat him on NG+ was by summoning Blue Phantoms and even then it took me like 3 tries since they kept dying. I've got a lvl 127 mage and a low Faith build I can easily jack up to your level to help you. Only thing is I haven't beaten 1-3 on NG++ with my mage or 1-2 with my Faith so I'd have to beat those first before joining you.

Mana Sin

Okay, so I find it very creepy that I can't kill the monumental. It's even creepier that it giggles when I use firestorm on it. This thing is secretly evil, I'm sure of it.

LogicStep

Instro said:
As soon as you finish the game it kicks you into NG+ basically.

Joei said:
You start soon as you beat the game the first time and go through the ending. You start off, I believe, with all your items from before, except any key items. You also start off with all your levels and spells. The enemies are stronger, though I don't remember the exact percentage, and you also gain more xp from kills, though, again, I don't remember the exact percentage.

Johnas said:
When you finish the game, you start back in the Nexus again at the beginning of the game when you reload that game file. You still have all the gear you had on you before, same SL and all that.

I see thanks, so I guess I was playing NG+ I beat 1-1 like it was nothing. I think I'm going to make a new character and play melee style, magic is really too easy...

arrrgh i had breezed through the defilement 5-1 level and was feeling confident as i destroyed all the enemies with easy headed through 5-2. then i get to one of those brute guys, who i had been killing with magic, but i decided to take him on with a meat cleaver. i block his first attack and hit him with one of my slow ass attacks. it was at this point that his buddy came from the side and knocked me down, cutting my health bar in half. i try to get up to get away and the first guy then does the samething and i die.

my cockiness killed me. when i get back there they will be eliminated.... with extreme prejudice

Facism

hehe that's typical. When you start feeling like a badass, the game comes and kicks you on your ass and pisses in your mouth :D

LogicStep

Facism said:
hehe that's typical. When you start feeling like a badass, the game comes and kicks you on your ass and pisses in your mouth :D
So true, after I got the hang of things, most of my deaths were because I was too cocky.

daffy

Banned
5-2 is soooo frustrating. I can put down my soul gem and people always summon me, but I never ever see anyone else's when I'm back human again.

I keep getting killed by those bigger troll barbarian whatevers with the clubs. It is so fucking cheap that they can rush me in the swamp water and kill me! Total disregard for the worldly laws. Can't even dodge. And when I get on land I always seem to fail at zoning my attacks well and staying on land. Its just a constant spam of fireball until they die. Its at the part where there are two of them and a smaller poison troll. Only part in the game where I feel cheated. I'm debating just running past these assholes and storming the boss fog.

It sucks so much because I can get to the boss with others playing along just fine, and I've helped about 5 people win already. Just wanted to vent I guess. So close to beating the game again but this shit continues to spit in my face!

FTH said:
Only part in the game where I feel cheated. I'm debating just running past these assholes and storming the boss fog.

storm past them, open the shortcut back to the start of the level and then hit the boss fog. avoidance is a perfectly valid tactic.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
Yeah NA. I think I'm in the low 80s

I have a level 86 character I think. I could help you out.

My PSN name is oracrest. Send me a friend request. I might be able to play later tonight.

edit, nevermind, congrats!

LogicStep

Question!

I'm trying to play co-op with my friend. Every time one dies we have to go through the whole summoning process again? Like he has to run to me again to drop the stone or me go to him and drop it? Sounds like a hassle.

theta11

zazrx said:
Question!

I'm trying to play co-op with my friend. Every time one dies we have to go through the whole summoning process again? Like he has to run to me again to drop the stone or me go to him and drop it? Sounds like a hassle.

Yeah, unfortunately

bone_and_sinew

FTH said:
5-2 is soooo frustrating. I can put down my soul gem and people always summon me, but I never ever see anyone else's when I'm back human again.

I keep getting killed by those bigger troll barbarian whatevers with the clubs. It is so fucking cheap that they can rush me in the swamp water and kill me! Total disregard for the worldly laws. Can't even dodge. And when I get on land I always seem to fail at zoning my attacks well and staying on land. Its just a constant spam of fireball until they die. Its at the part where there are two of them and a smaller poison troll. Only part in the game where I feel cheated. I'm debating just running past these assholes and storming the boss fog.

It sucks so much because I can get to the boss with others playing along just fine, and I've helped about 5 people win already. Just wanted to vent I guess. So close to beating the game again but this shit continues to spit in my face!
I've been trying to get summoned in 5-2 for at least a couple hours and nothing :/
I only got summoned once by some clueless noob who wouldn't listen to my gestures or take my Lotuses and he got annihilated by the Giant Defiled Ones. Want to pair up? I have no troubles killing Giant Defiled Ones.

NA, level 60 but I can go up no problem

theta11

FTH said:

I can help you with 5-2 as well if you want. My PSN is SosetsuKai and I'm usually on, just hit me with a friend invite.

Just beat 1-2 and I am loving this game. But there's something I've been wondering. I've heard that you should keep the souls that you get from defeating the bosses, but what about the souls that you get from the soldiers and heroes? Is there any benefit to keeping them? Or should I just use them?

Joei

ShyGuy0504 said:
Just beat 1-2 and I am loving this game. But there's something I've been wondering. I've heard that you should keep the souls that you get from defeating the bosses, but what about the souls that you get from the soldiers and heroes? Is there any benefit to keeping them? Or should I just use them?

The special soul scrolls you get as regular drops you can just use whenever. I tended to save them for when I was close to a soul level or wanted to buy something, but was a few souls shy. Don't just use them soon as they're dropped because if you die you could lose those souls. Think of having them in reserve for when you're ready to spend.

bone_and_sinew

ShyGuy0504 said:
Keep boss souls, use soldier/hero souls when you're in a pinch (need repairs/items/just short on leveling up, etc...)

theta11 said:
I can help you with 5-2 as well if you want. My PSN is SosetsuKai and I'm usually on, just hit me with a friend invite.
Sure thing, though I'd love a sparring partner. I play for co-op and PVP nowadays. I used to be horrific in pvp with my mage but I've done decently with my faith but I could definitely get better.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zazrx said:
Question!

Yeah, it was pretty much designed to so that you would be inclined to play against voiceless randoms instead of people you knew. I actually really appreciated that aspect of the game.

oracrest said:
I have a level 86 character I think. I could help you out.

My PSN name is oracrest. Send me a friend request. I might be able to play later tonight.

edit, nevermind, congrats!
I might just toss you a friend request anyway for future endeavours.

I'm "MyName1sMud"

After I got the trophy for beating the game I loaded up my new Royal character. Damn game on easy mode ftw.

elfinke

There aren't many things I've enjoyed this generation more than playing Demon's Souls, but one of them is definitely reading other peoples experience's playing through the game!

I've lurked the hell outta this thread, and I find it awfully heartwarming whenever I see that other players get fucked by Flamelurker. To this day Flamelurker is the only boss I regularly cheese (in one of my NG+..., he was the only thing to kill me, aside from myself, for the entire play through).

Mana Sin

Sweet, I just killed Flamelurker in NG+ in one attempt :D Yay for lots of grass and some white sticky stuff!

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I only just found out that you could get to Ed from the stone building just next to the 2-1 archstone. I never realized that. I went through to the place where you first activate the lift to him every time. Damn it -.-

patsu

elfinke said:
There aren't many things I've enjoyed this generation more than playing Demon's Souls, but one of them is definitely reading other peoples experience's playing through the game!

I've lurked the hell outta this thread, and I find it awfully heartwarming whenever I see that other players get fucked by Flamelurker. To this day Flamelurker is the only boss I regularly cheese (in one of my NG+..., he was the only thing to kill me, aside from myself, for the entire play through).

The best parts are people's PvP stories. Some of them are rather amusing. I'll try to look for a few and repost.

RyanDG

elfinke said:

Why cheese him? Equip the ring that increases your equipment burden, ring of flame resistance, and shield that decreases your fire damage taken. Nearly all of his attacks will only do a fraction of the dmg and you only have to worry about dodging his physical attacks with primary rolls. ;)

Johnas

RyanDG said:
Why cheese him? Equip the ring that increases your equipment burden, ring of flame resistance, and shield that decreases your fire damage taken. Nearly all of his attacks will only do a fraction of the dmg and you only have to worry about dodging his physical attacks with primary rolls. ;)

What methods do people primarily consider cheesing on him anyway, besides getting him stuck behind some bones near the entrance?

I used the columns for protection, with the thief's ring equipped so he occasionally forgets I'm there when I'm hidden from him, but I still had some up close combat and some shield work needed to get me through.

thorin

Flamelurker only deals fire damage, so if you can equip the Brushwood shield then there's nothing he can do to you unless he breaks your guard.

Johnas said:
What methods do people primarily consider cheesing on him anyway, besides getting him stuck behind some bones near the entrance?
Using cloak to sneak behind him and casting poison cloud is the cheesiest way to kill him that I know of.

Johnas

thorin said:
Flamelurker only deals fire damage, so if you can equip the Brushwood shield then there's nothing he can do to you unless he breaks your guard.

Using cloak to sneak behind him and casting poison cloud is the cheesiest way to kill him that I know of.

Ah, I never thought of magic. I need to try a magic-intensive playthrough sometime, but I just love the melee combat so much.

daffy

Banned
Mr_Appleby said:
storm past them, open the shortcut back to the start of the level and then hit the boss fog. avoidance is a perfectly valid tactic.
I've been putting it off, but I'm gonna go try this tonight then. :D
theta11 said:
bone_and_sinew said:
I've been trying to get summoned in 5-2 for at least a couple hours and nothing :/
I only got summoned once by some clueless noob who wouldn't listen to my gestures or take my Lotuses and he got annihilated by the Giant Defiled Ones. Want to pair up? I have no troubles killing Giant Defiled Ones.
NA, level 60 but I can go up no problem
Oki doki, thanks for the help then guys. I'll send you two invites if I can't beat it when I try again tonight

LogicStep

Man I love the game but last night's attempt at co-op left a really sour taste in my mouth. Like I seriously didn't even want to play anymore after that fiasco. I really hope they make it more in line to what we are used to when it comes to games with co-op with the new game.

oracrest

zazrx said:
Man I love the game but last night's attempt at co-op left a really sour taste in my mouth. Like I seriously didn't even want to play anymore after that fiasco. I really hope they make it more in line to what we are used to when it comes to games with co-op with the new game.

It's annoying, but on the upside, its never too far to run back through a level where everything is killed. The biggest risk is your buddy getting picked up by someone else's game.

bone_and_sinew

patsu said:
The best parts are people's PvP stories. Some of them are rather amusing. I'll try to look for a few and repost.
I have on. I was in an epic one-hour duel with a black phantom in 5-1 a couple of days ago. He is the prototypical mage build, I was a faith. I had second chance, like 70 dark moon grasses, and like 25 old spices so I was ready for a super-drawn out duel. But so was he since everytime I wounded him he grassed. The first half an hour was basically me trying to lure him off high ground with arrow shots, climbing/descending ladders and him trying to lure me into the open or into a narrow walkway where he'd soul ray me to death. He then changed position and descended so now I was on high ground and he was down low. Eventually we meet head-to-head in the room past the vendor where the plague rats are and we go all out. My Second Chance had run out so I went into the little alcove to recast and use the wall to block his firesprays. But I was still taking damage so I took one step too far and fell to my death...Damn it if only my faith had been high enough at that time so I could have God's Wrath equipped with Second Chance. I would've gotten directly below him at some point and God's Wrath'd his ass.

He was a good sport about it though. I sent him a message saying "well that was an anticlimatic ending" and he got a good laugh out of it and told me to put down my blue eye stone at the vendor so we could do co-op which we did.

oracrest

The comradary of pvp is pretty cool sometimes. There was a fight I had with my Mage against a melee fighter. It was one of my first battles with a magic character, and I was getting creamed by other players. Finally I decided to do some experimenting with the character, and try some different tactics. I said fuck it to lock-on, and cast (whatever spell has the five floating orbs.) I rushed him full sprint, fully anticipating his sword swing, and rolled just to the side of him. I dodged his blade, and the spell went off right behind him, embedding all five orbs into his open back, and killing him instantly. It was downright clinical. A minute later, he messages me to help him out with some levels, and we tackled some areas together. This remains my main pvp strategy with my Mage, and it works pretty well. Everytime I hit, it's immediate death for the other guy.

The online still throws me off, and I only have about 40 pvp matches all told. The lag in attack speed makes it hard, especially being so used to the AI timing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Those stories are great. I love the fact that both you guys went on afterwards to co-op with your ex-opponent. Truly classy stuff, and a testimony to the community!

Wouldn't mind hearing some not-so-classy tales as well, though ;)

Aeonin

I commend all you players of this game, because by the second boss I was entirely too frustrated to continue on. The start from the very beginning mechanic really pissed me off when the boss at the very end of the level kills me in two hits (while blocking and trying my best to run away).

I'd love this game if my guy took 1/4th or even 1/8th the damage. Sure it wouldn't be pull my hair out cheap - but I think I like my games like that.

Unless I'm missing something huge, why do gamers put up with this?

elfinke

RyanDG said:

That's what you'd think right? But time and time again, brushwood+flame res+water veil and I still find ways to die. It's like I save all the moronic and retarded ways of dieing just for this encounter. lol.

Aeonin said:
I commend all you players of this game, because by the second boss I was entirely too frustrated to continue on. The start from the very beginning mechanic really pissed me off when the boss at the very end of the level kills me in two hits (while blocking and trying my best to run away).

I'd love this game if my guy took 1/4th or even 1/8th the damage. Sure it wouldn't be pull my hair out cheap - but I think I like my games like that.

Unless I'm missing something huge, why do gamers put up with this?

'cos when it 'clicks'... you are more or less as untouchable as your own hamfistedness allows you to be and it feels GREAT!. I've had a games where I've barely been scratched (except for Flamelurker, the end boss [christ almighty I hate that guy also] and these tossers), admittedly with an easymode Royal.

If you can eliminate errors and mistakes from your play style, DS isn't hard. As others have said, the difficulty comes from you not often being allowed to recover from your mistakes. That is no different from playing someone much better than you at say, SSFIV, or even a racing game. You make a mistake (miss the cross up or whiff your attack or park your Lotus in the sand at turn 9), you get punished, and its round/race over. You don't make that mistake, you stay in the battle/race.

And the game is worth playing through, use an FAQ or consult the most wonderful Demon's Souls wiki. It's worth it.

Aeonin

elfinke said:
..'cos when it 'clicks'... you are more or less as untouchable as your own hamfistedness allows you to be and it feels GREAT!....

Not gonna lie, you had me at that line. lol. Bastard, now I have to boot it up again. I think I'll restart though - all the clinking and clanking of this Knight has me buggin'.

Sandman42

Trying to beat the black phantom monk guy who controls another player on world 3.

So boring.

Every match with another player lasts like 50 mins of non-stop attack and then heal. I just eventually turn the game off.

Ugh.

bone_and_sinew

Almost everytime I tried that fight, people would quit before I killed them. You pretty much have to kill someone with a one hit spell/God's Wrath KO or with a single combo before they quit. Only way I did it was rushing a mage with a blessed claymore +5 and killing him in 3 R1 swipes. That fight is always laggy as fuck too.

Top Bottom