• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

web01

I think Atlus are in control of the servers in US
while Bandai Namco are in control of the servers in EU.

I cannot imagine a situation where Bandai Namco takes down the EU servers before
Atlus has taken down the US servers as it would make them look awfully bad.

Also I think the release of Dark Souls will help increase Demon Souls sales as people want to check out the orginal game. Even lately there seems to be more online activity most likely due to Dark Souls hype.

The servers are guaranteed until October. We'll see how the server population is staggered at release. I don't see them stopping support right away but we shall see.

Just gets me more and more excited. I'm going to pop DS in later because of these thoughts.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Fucking deja vu. I showed Demon's Souls to a friend yesterday and he played the tutorial section just like that. Right down to the playing with the corpses and rolling around dreglings in the "courtyard" area bit. Pretty funny to watch.

Zeth

So I last checked in a little while ago when I picked this up. I'm now level 36, downed 6 or so bosses (flamelurker recently). I'm playing a royal focusing on magic with a bit of melee (STR is 22 now originally only leveled it for purple flame shield but I really like poking dudes with my winged spear and I just got done farming a bit to make it a moon winged spear +3.

This is easily up there as one of my fav games this gen. I absolutely love it. I haven't been this compelled to play a game like this since my WoW stint a few years ago.

I'll be back soon with questions for the DS GAF overlords.

i wish more games took demons souls approach to the storyline. no shitty cutscenes with horrible voice acting, no pushing a garbage story down your throat every 30 minutes. pretty simple and really the locations and the battles are the "story" here, which is a good thing and makes it very memorable

Johnas

Wow, just killed BP Scirvir for the first time.

Pure melee, which was satisfying, but man did it take a ton of tries. NG++.

Side note, right after that my PS3 (80 GB MGS4 bundle) starting sounding like a jet engine. Got a bad feeling. :| I shut it off immediately, we'll see.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So I've been playing this game for the last week and I am just stunned at just how fat and lazy modern gaming has made me. My skills are trash; I mindlessly run into areas looking to overwhelm enemies and I just get stomped.

You just cannot play this game impulsively. I guess it's sort of like chess in some ways.

Fun stuff, but at 31 years of age, I don't know if I have time for it anymore...which sort of makes me sad.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i wish more games took demons souls approach to the storyline. no shitty cutscenes with horrible voice acting, no pushing a garbage story down your throat every 30 minutes. pretty simple and really the locations and the battles are the "story" here, which is a good thing and makes it very memorable

Agreed 100%.

genjiZERO

Chiggs said:
Fun stuff, but at 31 years of age, I don't know if I have time for it anymore...which sort of makes me sad.

you and me both buddy. I let myself seriously get into a game once a year. This year (summer) it's been Demon's Souls.

I've got to say it's the most satisfying game I've played since Twilight Princess. If any game's been the successor to Vagrant Story it's been this one. I wish there was slightly more story though (but just slightly).

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah the maneaters were no joke. perhaps the 2nd toughest boss in the game in my opinion (behind dickbag allant)

Eh, neither one of em' were much of a match for the meat cleaver. That weapon is way too strong against computer controlled enemies (well at least so far in NG+).

Edit: Also I wish more people were online. I was only invaded once throughout my entire last play through and I spent the majority of the time online and in body form (I didn't even get one for the old monk :/).

manzo

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Eh, neither one of em' were much of a match for the meat cleaver. That weapon is way too strong against computer controlled enemies (well at least so far in NG+).

Edit: Also I wish more people were online. I was only invaded once throughout my entire last play through and I spent the majority of the time online and in body form (I didn't even get one for the old monk :/).

Trying to kill the Maneaters with Crescent Falchion +1 - I can get the other to about half health then I roll off the bridge or something.

Going to rage again this evening.

MMaRsu

manzo said:
Trying to kill the Maneaters with Crescent Falchion +1 - I can get the other to about half health then I roll off the bridge or something.

Crescent Falchion +1? Wow.. I could not do it with that probably :p. Thank god I have the dragon long sword +5

oracrest

manzo said:

Are you locked on when rolling? If so, his lunge can cause your camera to whip around, and your character to spin in that direction with the roll. Your best bet is to keep you and him in line with the direction of the bridge, and roll straight into his lunge, without lock-on. It might take some getting used to to control the camera, but it makes it much easier.

manzo said:

I've done it with that weapon before, but I'd recommend getting the Dragon Longsword from 2-2 like MMaRsu mentioned; they're weaker to fire than standard magic attacks.

genjiZERO

soldat7 said:
I'm a 33-year old family man, full time engineer, and starting grad school in the fall. We can do this!

Good luck. I've put a whole lot of hours into DS (and will for Dark Souls too) - even to the detriment of my other, frankly more important, hobbies (music), but it's been worth it because the game is so so good.

oracrest

genjiZERO said:
Good luck. I've put a whole lot of hours into DS (and will for Dark Souls too) - even to the detriment of my other, frankly more important, hobbies (music), but it's been worth it because the game is so so good.

Yeah, for the last two years, I have been the same. It's been hard to get into other games, so I just replay this over and over. Demon's Souls is like the Godfather, and other games feel more like Weekend at Bernie's.

manzo

MMaRsu said:
Crescent Falchion +1? Wow.. I could not do it with that probably :p. Thank god I have the dragon long sword +5

Tell me more about this dragon long sword..? 2-2 eh? I've done 1-1,2-1,3-1,4-1,5-1 and now doing 3-2. Maybe I should do 2-2....

On the other hand, killing those fuckers with the falchion would make me believe that I haven't lost my gaming skills.

genjiZERO

oracrest said:
Yeah, for the last two years, I have been the same. It's been hard to get into other games, so I just replay this over and over. Demon's Souls is like the Godfather, and other games feel more like Weekend at Bernie's.

I think I'll play Skyrim too (which looks great for completely different reasons), but I know what you mean. I can create so many different characters for DS. It's a different strategy for each one.

oracrest

genjiZERO said:
I think I'll play Skyrim too (which looks great for completely different reasons), but I know what you mean. I can create so many different characters for DS. It's a different strategy for each one.

I heard of a challenge mode where you play through as a Barbarian, starting level of 9, and don't level the character, or any of the starting equipment.

I might give that a go next. It's a weapon type that would be new to me, so that will be fun, but I am expecting it to be pretty hard and "good" frustrating.

genjiZERO

oracrest said:
I heard of a challenge mode where you play through as a Barbarian, starting level of 9, and don't level the character, or any of the starting equipment.

I might give that a go next. It's a weapon type that would be new to me, so that will be fun, but I am expecting it to be pretty hard and "good" frustrating.

sounds cool. The next game I'm going to do is as a magician. I'm really hoping that in the next game I can play as that Gandalf looking character in the pcitures. Nothing would be cooler than pretending to be Gandalf and seeking out the Necromancer...

BitchTits

First game I got for the PS3, both arrived today. :)

Already, I'm in love with this game - right from the start the atmosphere is just amazing, the lighting is so dim in places and the sound is perfectly spooky - I have to admit the first time I saw another player run past me (the white ghost things are other players playing live?), I almost shit myself, I'm playing so cautiously, never taking on more than one enemy at a time, drawing them out.

First play I chose a male Magician, just because I like magic users in RPGs, I played the tutorial level and died at the big nasty at the end (I guess everyone does?). Then I had a change of heart and chose a female Thief, which suits better so far. I was doing pretty well in the first stage - Boletarian Palace, I was being kind of cocky and forgot to heal whilst fighting some dude with a spear.

I did want to hold off and play something else before DS because I knew it would suck me in, but I couldn't resist. Already I feel like it's the best game I've played in years :)

vocab

BitchTits said:
I did want to hold off and play something else before DS because I knew it would suck me in, but I couldn't resist. Already I feel like it's the best game I've played in years :)

No. You play that shit now.

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Tutorial level

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3 (Phalanx)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2 (Tower Knight)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Armor Spider)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4 (Fool's Idol)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3 (Adjudicator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3 (Leechmonger)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Dirty Colossus)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Maiden Astrea/Garl Vinland)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Maneater)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone (Old Monk)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3 (Old Hero)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2 (Storm King)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Flamelurker)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone (Dragon God)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Penetrator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 White World Tendency - Executioner Miralda

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 White World Tendency - Lord Rydell part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 White World Tendency - Satsuki & Vanguard

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Black Phantom Trio part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Blue Dragon part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Penetrator Archstone - Old King Allant part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Old King Doran part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - World 1 PBWT - BP Miralda & Primeval Demon part 1, 2

I think I figured out a way to still get to all named BP's, but it will take some clever trickery on my part ;)

oracrest

double post!

I found and uploaded all the Boss end credits images.

1286840026161.png

Demon's Souls gallery

P.S. Does anyone here have a character of Soul Level 1-10 with 5-2 unlocked, that could help me out with something online? PM or respond here.

BitchTits

This game is just slaying me! I keep getting over confident and getting killed. Loving it though.

I'm using a strategy of taking tough enemies to high places and just letting them fall off, I just can't take on those guys with the glowing blue faces and shields on the first stage.

My main weapon just broke, so I should get it repaired in the Nexus - This is basically what the game is right - going through each level, but also doing so more than once to grind souls as they are the currency? I admit I was a little lost with what souls do/are for at first since it isn't overtly explained.

What I do like about the game is how you learn the paths and enemy locations of each level - it's classic game design from RE4 to Ghouls & Ghosts, it has the same feel.

genjiZERO

BitchTits said:
This game is just slaying me! I keep getting over confident and getting killed. Loving it though.

I'm using a strategy of taking tough enemies to high places and just letting them fall off, I just can't take on those guys with the glowing blue faces and shields on the first stage.

My main weapon just broke, so I should get it repaired in the Nexus - This is basically what the game is right - going through each level, but also doing so more than once to grind souls as they are the currency? I admit I was a little lost with what souls do/are for at first since it isn't overtly explained.

What I do like about the game is how you learn the paths and enemy locations of each level - it's classic game design from RE4 to Ghouls & Ghosts, it has the same feel.

At early levels I like to strafe around them (always strafe left!), do a power attack and then a series of regular attacks. You can also block and counter fairly well too. Also, when blocking back away while they are swinging and attack when their combo is done.

You are right on how the game works. But it becomes a lot easier once you figure out how to play. Yeah, I love the same thing about it. It feels just like a platformer where you had to memorise enemy patterns from back in the day.

BitchTits

I just realised after checking out some playthrough of 1-1 on youtube that I never use my sheild or enemy targeting (I was wondering why aiming firebombs etc was so crap) - doh!

Zoda

Neo Member
Question, how difficult is this game to Plat? I understand that the game itself is extremely difficult, but is the platinum worse? Can you complete it in one playthrough?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Zoda said:
Question, how difficult is this game to Plat? I understand that the game itself is extremely difficult, but is the platinum worse? Can you complete it in one playthrough?
You can if you dupe boss souls, ores, and plan out tendency manipulation adequately. But really, you'd be doing a great diservice to yourself if you just play for the trophies. I platinum'd months ago and still play regularly (err...was playing until I got YLOD'd a couple of weeks ago). Just play the first time normal, play NG+ normal to experience the drastic difficulty increase, and do all the trophy shit on NG++.

BitchTits

Is Thief a really bad class to start with or something? I like the fast movement, but feel like I'm hitting a brick wall already.

I can't seem to make it through the first level, so should I be farming souls to spend on better equipment and then try to go further into the level? I guess I'm a little confused over what I'm supposed to be doing since it seems like actually completing the level is beyond my lowly character at the moment. (Still loving the game though!)

one85x

You'll definitely want to find a new weapon. The dagger is going to make that first boss a lot harder than it has to be.

BitchTits

one85x said:
You'll definitely want to find a new weapon. The dagger is going to make that first boss a lot harder than it has to be.
I have some crappy fencing type sword that is a lot slower than the dagger. I will do some soul grinding and buy some new equipment, hopefully that will help :)

theta11

BitchTits said:
I have some crappy fencing type sword that is a lot slower than the dagger. I will do some soul grinding and buy some new equipment, hopefully that will help :)

You don't buy equipment, anything useful is found/made, apart from the Claymore of course.

genjiZERO

BitchTits said:
Is Thief a really bad class to start with or something? I like the fast movement, but feel like I'm hitting a brick wall already.

I can't seem to make it through the first level, so should I be farming souls to spend on better equipment and then try to go further into the level? I guess I'm a little confused over what I'm supposed to be doing since it seems like actually completing the level is beyond my lowly character at the moment. (Still loving the game though!)

Do you have a scimitar or falchion? You find it at the bottom of the keep. It's the best weapon for a while. I also like to use a spear in corridors.

Honestly, when I started it took me about 8 hrs to beat the first level. Then I got exponentially better at the game. I can beat it now on the lowest level in a single try pretty quickly. So don't worry you'll get better at it.

Zeth

Armor question.

I started as a royal. I'm Level 54. I now have compound long bow +3 (need spiderstones for sticky/viscous), purple flame shield +adjudicators shield for magic defense, moon spear +4 is what I'm focusing on for my weap because I'm leaning toward magic, I also use crescent falchion(sp)+1 don't know if I should level that one. I'm still using my starting armor though and I don't know where to find some upgrades for my play style. I found fluted armor in 3-1 but at the time it overburdened me. Does my armor need to be light for a magic leaning spell-sword type character? Or is it worth the loss of mobility to wear heavy armor sometimes?

Edit: Also can I get anything better than silver catalyst on my first play through? Sage Freke can make me an insanity catalyst with one of my souls but it seems a bit shit considering it halves my MP.

TL;DR: what's my best bet for upgrading the Royal starting wizard armor?

squall211

Ok I need to know how to do something, and keep in mind I'm new to the game so I don't really know the intricacies of DS.

Anyway, I'm playing world 3-2, and I get to the point where you apparently need PWWT to continue on (so that a bridge or a platform appears). What's the easiest way to get PWWT? I was playing in body form in that world and ended up dying by falling off of a ledge. So, how can I go about changing the tendancy to what I need?

Top Bottom