• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Raide

I always wondered something about Demon's Souls. Are ranged weapons effective and are there any cool looking ones later? The vast majority of videos I have seen tend to show swords.

oracrest said:
"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Tutorial level

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1 ,2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1 ,2 ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1 ,2 ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3

Yeah, he was my bottleneck so far. On the first body run, I got stuck in rubble collision, and couldn't get out, so he killed me pretty fast. On the second run, I killed one, and got the second down to around 5-10% health before dodging to the side, and right off the bridge, heh. 25 deaths later..... Finally took them down :) I discovered that like Flamelurker, this guy seems to be easier for me to battle if I stay away from lock-on. The way he dives straight through you, when locked on, it can cause your roll to wheel around with the camera, and right off the edge...

i watched the whole series on maneater, then i attempted it myself and almost killed him the first time. 30 or so deaths later they are dead :)

allant's got me pullin my hair out though.

Vitten said:
Oracrest, not sure if you know this but you can cast the second chance miracle even as an sl 1 royal. Equip silver coronet, ring of devout prayer, silver catalyst in one hand and talisman in the other and you're good to go. Keep up a good stock of old spice which shouldn't be hard as you have nothing much to spend your souls on anyway.

Using second chance and hyper mode sniping/soul raying is what made sl1 ng+ also possible for me.

he's going through without using spells as well!!!

Raide said:
I always wondered something about Demon's Souls. Are ranged weapons effective and are there any cool looking ones later? The vast majority of videos I have seen tend to show swords.

the bows are very effective. so effective in fact that you can cheap kill most all of the bosses with them, but it takes the fun out of it. outside of bosses they are useful for pulling if you dont have the thiefs ring, and killing other archers. but as a primary weapon it's not very viable.

oracrest

Vitten said:
Oracrest, not sure if you know this but you can cast the second chance miracle even as an sl 1 royal.

Thanks Vitten, but I have given myself the restriction of using no magic for this playthrough. I may keep that in mind if I do an NG+ though :)

JackSmithy said:
allant's got me pullin my hair out though.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's a one hit kill if he lands a strike on you.

oracrest said:
Thanks Vitten, but I have given myself the restriction of using no magic for this playthrough. I may keep that in mind if I do an NG+ though :)

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's a one hit kill if he lands a strike on you.

yeah if i block instead of roll depending on which attack he does im either dead or a sliver of health left. so far i am getting him down far enough and if i get him halfway, using a SoEE to resurrect.

i think once i beat it, i'll ONLY use magic on the NG+. That should be fun.

Raide said:
lava and white bow are fucking great. there's also a way to enchant arrows with a few of the spells.

Risible

Raide said:
Interesting. Any good videos showing off these bows?

Bows are fantastic. The only problem is that sometimes you have to get up close, and in that case they aren't good because you can't use a shield at the same time you're firing.

The Lava and White bows do a TON of damage.

theta11

Bows do decent damage, not as much as melee or magic though but its always nice to have a bow as a backup, a fully upgraded Compound Long Bow +10/Quality/Sticky depending on the stats. Characters with a higher magic stat can make better use of the Lava Bow and it also enchants all arrow it fires with a fire attack but has a shorter range. The White Bow is actually performs worse than the Quality/Sticky CLB so its better to go with CLB unless you don't have the upgrade stones, it does have better range though. There are 6 Types arrows I think; Fire, Holy, Light, Heavy, Normal and White Arrows. They can be found at different vendors apart from White Arrows which are in limited in the amount you can get per playthrough. The game also has crossbows that can be used in 1 hand but compared to bows the scale terribly. The developers commented about it so hopefully its addressed in Dark Souls so there a little more variation in the range department for melee.

Back when the online component was in its prime at mid levels 40-60 you used to see hyper mode archers in PVP, using Thief's Ring and Clever Rat's Ring with Morion Blade. Used to be annoying cause if you didn't pay attention you'd get killed in 1 hit by an invisible archer. You could try to look for some of those Archer PVP videos online other than those most videos you find will be super boring since it mostly invovles cheap killing bosses. :lol

Edit: Because Bows are 2 Handed the STR requirement to use them is actually 2/3 for what is listed. e.g. The White Bow has a 30 STR requirement listed but it takes 20 STR to use it effectively. This applies to all weapon used 2 handed and only applies to the STR stat.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You better edit that link asap...

Alebrije

In Stonefang Tunnel , at the very deep in the lava river there is a body with an item, how can you get it? I mean your die if you touch the lava.. is it worth it?

elfinke

theta11 said:
Edit: Because Bows are 2 Handed the STR requirement to use them is actually 2/3 for what is listed. e.g. The White Bow has a 30 STR requirement listed but it takes 20 STR to use it effectively. This applies to all weapon used 2 handed and only applies to the STR stat.

One of the best 'hidden' or 'unexplained' perks in the game.

The screenshot of the icy/water creature is captivating.

Alebrije said:
In Stonefang Tunnel , at the very deep in the lava river there is a body with an item, how can you get it? I mean your die if you touch the lava.. is it worth it?
I got a good amount of stuff in the lava. I used a stone of ephemeral eyes and water veil with a ring of fire resistance.It took a while since I could only get one item at a time before turning back to heal.

Looking at the wiki it turns out there's a pure dragonstone somewhere in the lava so I'd say it's worth it.

Risible

JackSmithy said:
nope, didn't know! relax, haha

Uhhh, he's trying to help you, as Rick Rolls are bannable. So maybe you think twice before posting a banned meme and telling people to "relax."

Plus that shit was NEVER funny.

Risible said:
Uhhh, he's trying to help you, as Rick Rolls are bannable. So maybe you think twice before posting a banned meme and telling people to "relax."

didn't know it was bannable and so serious here, link edited.

Risible said:

You said it, and I was trying to be nice.

It's just annoying, especially when we're trying to help someone.

Thanks one85x for sharing that video of the Lava bow

oracrest said:
All that's left is 1-3 and 1-4, then the named BP's/Old King. It's getting kind of exciting so close to the end!

grats dude, i just finished up allant after a billion deaths, but then went over to flamelurker and beat on first try /shrug.

now i suppose it's magic with NG+

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
grats dude, i just finished up allant after a billion deaths, but then went over to flamelurker and beat on first try /shrug.

level 1 NG+ melee is where things get REALLY interesting. It took me plenty of tries just to beat Phalanx, heh.

Awesome job on beating it like that! Did Allant soulsuck you? I was half expecting the game to freeze :)

warpaint

dude them video's are a great help thanks, must have taken a long time to get the timeing and knowing how to use everything right to get the bosses done with out beening killed

oracrest

Johnas said:
Did I read correctly on the video notes that this is your 50th playthrough of the game?

Also, I can totally relate to that moment you posted above. Too well.

No, no. That just means it is video #50 of this one playthrough. I numbered them so people would be able to figure out what order the levels were completed in.

Lemme see, first character was a knight, then new game+ After that, I did a dedicated Mage, and then a priest, then a level 1. So, that's about 6 playthroughs when I finish this run I am currently doing, and then some misc. NG+ levels that I never played through to the end with some characters, just collecting trophy stuff.

As far as I know, YoshiChan has the record for trophies at least, I don't know about playthroughs. How many Yoshi, 3 platinums on one account for DS?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oracrest said:
As far as I know, YoshiChan has the record for trophies at least, I don't know about playthroughs. How many Yoshi, 3 platinums on one account for DS?
3 platinums with the US-version "only" at 58%... planning on fixing that before Dark Souls release though!

Mana Sin

I had no idea that Biorr would help you fight Penetrator. I'm all geared up for a challenging battle, got my mind in the zone, plenty of arrows, spices, a nice sword, soul ray and light weapon, all backed up by Doran's armor. I was ready for war. I walk through the fog gate, skip the cutscene, and out of nowhere "Need some help?" Biorr took aggro (I had thief ring on) and I pretty much just pot-shot penetrator from close range and finished the battle in something like 20sec. I feel kinda bad now :( I want to go back and melee Penetrator to death. Backstabbing him would have been great, considering that he impaled me the first time I fought him in NG.

(I freed Biorr as soon as I could, after Tower Knight, because I wanted to free Yuria)

Johnas

oracrest said:
No, no. That just means it is video #50 of this one playthrough. I numbered them so people would be able to figure out what order the levels were completed in.

Lemme see, first character was a knight, then new game+ After that, I did a dedicated Mage, and then a priest, then a level 1. So, that's about 6 playthroughs when I finish this run I am currently doing, and then some misc. NG+ levels that I never played through to the end with some characters, just collecting trophy stuff.

OK, I see. I knew Canova mentioned he'd played through 20 times, even that seemed excessive. But hey, fun game is fun.

I'm on playthrough #4 at the moment, first time was last year with a Temple Knight, and I'm currently on NG++ with a Soldier (all three of those recently, and consecutively). I'd love to get the platinum before Dark Souls arrives, I just don't know if I really want to grind for Pure Bladestone and that other one that takes grinding, I think it's Pure Darkmoonstone.

Love your avatar, btw. One of my favorite NES games.

Mana Sin said:
I had no idea that Biorr would help you fight Penetrator. I'm all geared up for a challenging battle, got my mind in the zone, plenty of arrows, spices, a nice sword, soul ray and light weapon, all backed up by Doran's armor. I was ready for war. I walk through the fog gate, skip the cutscene, and out of nowhere "Need some help?" Biorr took aggro (I had thief ring on) and I pretty much just pot-shot penetrator from close range and finished the battle in something like 20sec. I feel kinda bad now :( I want to go back and melee Penetrator to death. Backstabbing him would have been great, considering that he impaled me the first time I fought him in NG.

(I freed Biorr as soon as I could, after Tower Knight, because I wanted to free Yuria)

Yeah, I did that on my last run. He's an absolute tank in that battle.

oracrest said:
level 1 NG+ melee is where things get REALLY interesting. It took me plenty of tries just to beat Phalanx, heh.

Awesome job on beating it like that! Did Allant soulsuck you? I was half expecting the game to freeze :)

haha thanks, yeah he did soulsuck me once, didn't know what to expect. I ended up just taking his running dodge with my shield and doing 2 or 3 strikes on him, dodging back and healing ad nauseum.

thinking of Maneater on NG+ with level 1 makes me shiver.

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3,

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4

JackSmithy said:

I think I might do this too, or at least prepare to do so. I can use all my boss souls to get spells before finishing the game.

Johnas said:
Love your avatar, btw. One of my favorite NES games.

Thanks! Yeah, great pixel art. I probably died just as much in that game too, heh.

Raide

@oracrest Seriously man. You're a beast! I am utterly loving all this footage. Despite not having a PS3, it is seriously great to see the game in all this detail. If only I could find a PS3 cheap enough, then I would jump in too. Currently I am holding off till either Price Drop or Dark Souls.

oracrest

Raide said:
@oracrest Seriously man. You're a beast! I am utterly loving all this footage. Despite not having a PS3, it is seriously great to see the game in all this detail. If only I could find a PS3 cheap enough, then I would jump in too. Currently I am holding off till either Price Drop or Dark Souls.

On some level it saddens me to know that your watching these, and haven't played the game first hand. You're doing yourself an injustice!!

Raide

oracrest said:
On some level it saddens me to know that your watching these, and haven't played the game first hand. You're doing yourself an injustice!!

I know!!

Damn you Sony! The temptation to buy a PS3 just for Demon's Souls nags at me daily. I know I can get a Phat PS3 fairly cheap but then I worry about it being noisy or dying on me.

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3,

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 White World Tendency - Executioner Miralda

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 White World Tendency - Lord Rydell part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Getting towards the end, so I decided to tie up some loose ends tonight, and start on 1-4 tomorrow. It took me longer that I expected. I didn't plan on getting white in any levels necessarily, but I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Mephistopheles quest will have to be finished off as part of the 1-4 run-through. I am also planning on a level 1 NG+ magic game, so I took the time to learn some spells with the boss souls. I rescued Biorr, so the Penetrator fight ended up being a bit anti-climactic, but that's the roll of the dice...

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3 (Phalanx)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2 (Tower Knight)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Armor Spider)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4 (Fool's Idol)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3 (Adjudicator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3 (Leechmonger)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Dirty Colossus)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Maiden Astrea/Garl Vinland)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Maneater)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone (Old Monk)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3 (Old Hero)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2 (Storm King)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Flamelurker)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone (Dragon God)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Penetrator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 White World Tendency - Executioner Miralda

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 White World Tendency - Lord Rydell part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough- 4-1 White World Tendency - Satsuki & Vanguard

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Black Phantom Trio part 1, 2, 3

After the BP's, I thought I had white tendency in Stonefang Tunnel, but didn't. As long as I was there, I took some time to upgrade my short bow. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to enable Black Phantom Garl Vinland, but I still can, after looking into it. So I should be able to get to all the named BP's eventually...

I am thinking of adding this build to the Demon's Souls wiki when I am done. I tried to find a level 1 build there, but couldn't.

Zertez

Great videos Oracrest, the walkthrough and the Dark Souls videos you posted. I wonder how long they plan to keep the servers up for Demon Souls. I know they plan till October and the release of Dark Souls, but unless Dark Souls is better in every way, I will want to go back and play Demon Souls every couple months.

Edit: Are Magicians destined to suck down spices constantly? Im working on a new Magician, but I go through spices at a decent clip. I plan on getting a decent bow skill to help, but the MP regen items dont help much, unless I rest awhile. I know Royalty start off with a Fragant ring and MP crown, but I wanted to play a new class and I love magic users.

Zertez said:
Great videos Oracrest, the walkthrough and the Dark Souls videos you posted. I wonder how long they plan to keep the servers up for Demon Souls. I know they plan till October and the release of Dark Souls, but unless Dark Souls is better in every way, I will want to go back and play Demon Souls every couple months.

Edit: Are Magicians destined to suck down spices constantly? Im working on a new Magician, but I go through spices at a decent clip. I plan on getting a decent bow skill to help, but the MP regen items dont help much, unless I rest awhile. I know Royalty start off with a Fragant ring and MP crown, but I wanted to play a new class and I love magic users.

pretty much. i played with a magician and really had to struggle/conserve the fresh spice until i reached 3-2 (or is it 3-1?) and then could stock up on the spices!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you sprint? I put the game down for a year, loaded it up tonight, and I can't figure it out. The manual says press "X" when walking. That doesn't do anything. It's also supposed to make me roll, which it isn't either.

I know I'm missing something obvious here...

FlyinJ said:
How do you sprint? I put the game down for a year, loaded it up tonight, and I can't figure it out. The manual says press "X" when walking. That doesn't do anything. It's also supposed to make me roll, which it isn't either.

i thought it was circle

Zertez

FrenchMovieTheme said:
pretty much. i played with a magician and really had to struggle/conserve the fresh spice until i reached 3-2 (or is it 3-1?) and then could stock up on the spices!
Thanks, I think I could take 3-1 at this point. A bow/scrimtar helped a lot when a spell would take off 80-90 percent life, rather than wasting mana on another spell.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
FlyinJ said:

It's Circle.

Do you have the Asian version? Are you playing on a North American or European PS3? Because I'm pretty sure that would explain the disparity between the manual and the actual in-game controls.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Seraphis Cain said:
It's Circle.

Do you have the Asian version? Are you playing on a North American or European PS3? Because I'm pretty sure that would explain the disparity between the manual and the actual in-game controls.

Ah! That's it.

Isn't there something to do with what armor you're wearing makes you run faster as well?

sixghost

@oracrest

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dick, but are regular playthroughs of this game more interesting than a level 1 playthrough? That was the first extended gameplay footage of DS I've seen, and it kinda just seems like the way you fight 90% of the enemies is to get close enough to trigger an attack, run backwards to dodge, then just wail away.

I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played the game, but I was planning to get Dark Souls based on how glowingly most GAFers talk of this game. Those videos are sort of making me reconsider that though.

Top Bottom