• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Nolimit_SS said:
I ordered DS finally and should be here in a week or two and until then, any tips for new player or should I just go with it and learn stuff?
I want to avoid throwing controller at my tv so any tips are welcome :)

DON'T EAT THE DEMON'S SOUL!!!!!!

And be prepared to die. It's not run and gun, go slow, take your time, and don't try to move to fast. Once you get used to moving slow, the game isn't that difficult.

whiterabbit said:
I think that what's hard about it is knowing exactly the way to progress a character's stats and gear so that you can be properly able to handle anything you will encounter.

And choosing the right starting class for your playstyle.
^ this is what I was mostly wondering about. Expecting to die a lot, but I usually research a lot so I can go best way with stats, class etc

Nolimit_SS said:
^ this is what I was mostly wondering about. Expecting to die a lot, but I usually research a lot so I can go best way with stats, class etc

Trial and error. I would look at Classes - Demon's Souls English Wiki : http://goo.gl/Y6w8 and just choose something to try. I might recommend Royalty, Temple Knight, and what I started as was Wanderer. You can't level up until you beat the first level.

Zertez

Nolimit_SS said:
You will die, just get the cling ring early and dying isnt that big of a deal. It can be frustrating dying towards the end of a level and having to start over again, but once you learn the level, you can move through them much quicker. Also when you do recover your blood stain, you will have the initial souls, plus the souls for doing the level over again.

There will be times early on when you lose at the time appears to be a lot of souls, 10-20k souls lost. Dont let it upset you that much. You will be able to make up the lost souls easily the further you progress. If you are afraid of losing the souls, buy some spells, upgrade some gear, buy some ore, purchase a few stats etc. If you are unsure of what happens when you consume certain items like Large Demon Souls, look it up before consuming them. You can miss out on good upgrades.

I think most people make a few dumb mistakes with their first character be it eating a major demon soul, boosting the wrong stats, hitting the wrong npc etc, and then they have to start over again. If you have to start over, dont stress out, you can quickly move through the levels again, if you have to start over. The game can be very unforgiving when it comes to a mistake, but dont let it get to you, starting a new character is fun and the game can be more enjoyable on second, third, fourth etc play throughs.

GAF, I'm getting a PS3 this weekend and DS will be one of my first games!

I'm debating between R1 and R3 (I live in Southeast Asia). What really bothers me is as to how much longer servers will remain online. Didn't Atlus say they'll keep it until late this year?

Wolf Akela said:

I'm debating between R1 and R3 (I live in Southeast Asia). What really bothers me is as to how much longer servers will remain online. Didn't Atlus say they'll keep it until late this year?
I think at least until October. But honestly, even if the servers are shut down the single player experience is still great. Multiplayer adds a few things like dueling and the ability to help/have others help you but the core experience remains the same.

The only thing I'll really miss from online are the times when the world tendencies are altered.

RyanDG

bdizzle said:
I gotta admit, I'm starting to fall in love with this game. It took a while, but I think it's starting to win me over...

Glad to hear it. I know at first the combat seems really simple (your complaint you lodged earlier), but the more you get into it and the more you get to play around with it, it does have a lot more depth to its system than you first realize (ie, not being just slash and roll, slash and roll).

oneils

I've been lurking here for quite a while and picked up Demon's Souls as a result. It sat on my shelf for a while. However, I recently started playing it again.

This game is so deep, I'll never stop learning. I didn't even leave Boletarian Palace until Soul Level 22. I must have put 12 hrs into 1-1 until I left for 2-1. I Couldn't beat the Armored Spider, but I did pick up an awesome Crescent Axe.

Treasure hunting is so well integrated into the game that no "run" is a waste of time. There is treasure, ore, and grass to find everywhere.

Well, after 16 hours in, I decided to take on the Phalanx Archstone. Got all the way to that huge knight, but he two shotted me. Oops. Guess I have to try another strategy!

johntown

Banned
Wolf Akela said:

It won't really matter for your first run through the game. IMO the only boss you might really need assitance with is the False King. You may be invaded a few times but most of the people who play the game now are at least SL 120 or higher.

I did a run a couple months ago and I maybe had the chance to help other players maybe 10-15 times. I was invaded maybe 10 times and everytime I tried to invade another world the player would commit suicide.

If they do shut down the servers you won't have to worry about the anxiety of someone invading your world when you have a ton of souls and killing you.

Like others have said even without the online portion of the game it is still AMAZING and well worth playing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I bought this game on sale...won't play it for a while as I have other games on backlog but I'm both scared and excited to play this one.

creid

Playing through this for the first time. 4-1 and 4-2 have given me so much stress that I will probably never pick up Dark Souls. I wonder if it's because the WT in 4 is darker than the rest?

The rest of the game I have loved, when I'm not cursing so hard at it. Beat the Old Monk controlled by another player last night, so satisfying.

creid said:
Playing through this for the first time. 4-1 and 4-2 have given me so much stress that I will probably never pick up Dark Souls. I wonder if it's because the WT in 4 is darker than the rest?

The rest of the game I have loved, when I'm not cursing so hard at it. Beat the Old Monk controlled by another player last night, so satisfying.

Damn. I never got to beat Old Monk online because when I got to that point the PSN was still down due to hackers,

Whenever this thread gets rejuvenated (which is weekly it seems), Im reminded that I need to go get my ass kicked in my NG+ in preparation for October 4th.

EasyMode

creid said:
The world tendency is probably a factor since it makes enemies tougher. Also, what kinda character or class are you playing? I noticed that first time magic users can have a hard time against the skeletons.

oneils

droopy said:
Dude! I can guess why you shelved it the first time.

Haha! I wasn't bored, just had other stuff going on. I've still been putzing around in 1-1. I probably have spent another 3 hours in there.

One interesting thing is that after beating the red-eye knight a few times he dropped a purple flame shield. I don't quite have the strength required for it yet (I have 19 and need 22). Also, I have a steel shield that was in 2-1.

What should I be doing with the Purple Flame Shield? The stats of the steel shield seem better than the purple one.

johntown

Banned
oneils said:
Haha! I wasn't bored, just had other stuff going on. I've still been putzing around in 1-1. I probably have spent another 3 hours in there.

One interesting thing is that after beating the red-eye knight a few times he dropped a purple flame shield. I don't quite have the strength required for it yet (I have 19 and need 22). Also, I have a steel shield that was in 2-1.

What should I be doing with the Purple Flame Shield? The stats of the steel shield seem better than the purple one.
Get the strength to use it. It is the one of the only shields I use besides the Dark Silver Shield.

creid

EasyMode said:
The world tendency is probably a factor since it makes enemies tougher. Also, what kinda character or class are you playing? I noticed that first time magic users can have a hard time against the skeletons.
I haven't followed any 'builds' but I have high strength, dex, and faith. I started as a temple knight. I could kill the skeletons in 2 hits, but getting only one of them at a time / properly blocking them / not falling off a cliff were bigger problems. In 4-2 my big issue was the reaper near the end that's hiding around a corner, and the rays that were shooting me. Really sucked to have to re-do the dangerous 5 minute trek every time he killed me (for an hour and a half.) I stopped pulling my hair out a bit once I accidentally left my Thief Ring on, which kept the rays from shooting me. My left thumb was hurting from holding up on the analog stick for so long.

My first faceoff with a BP was very exciting, but unfortunately I don't think I got any credit for beating him, as I accidentally knocked him off a cliff. I did get the satisfaction of beating one though while I was another player's blue phantom.

Kinda wish I could beat the game without going into NG+, so I could leave all the worlds open and play around with the PWWT events the next time Atlus does them, but oh well.

Zeth

Started my pure bladestone farming last night. From what I've heard I know I could have a lot more runs ahead of me having done about 40 so far. I'm at SL 105 and could boost higher if anyone wants to trade all I really have is pure cloudstone.

I have Dorans armor now and I like using it rather than piecing together lighter stuff. Hiltless +5 has been fun but +5 sharp will definitely do more damage right?

EasyMode

creid said:
I haven't followed any 'builds' but I have high strength, dex, and faith. I started as a temple knight. I could kill the skeletons in 2 hits, but getting only one of them at a time / properly blocking them / not falling off a cliff were bigger problems. In 4-2 my big issue was the reaper near the end that's hiding around a corner, and the rays that were shooting me. Really sucked to have to re-do the dangerous 5 minute trek every time he killed me (for an hour and a half.) I stopped pulling my hair out a bit once I accidentally left my Thief Ring on, which kept the rays from shooting me. My left thumb was hurting from holding up on the analog stick for so long.
Yeah the Thief Ring makes a big difference in world 4. It will also let you take on those skeletons one at a time. And that last reaper is a pain in the ass. I think the last time I got to that part, I just used soul remains to distract him so I could run past.

Zeth said:
Hiltless +5 has been fun but +5 sharp will definitely do more damage right?
You could try this to find out how much damage a weapon will do:
http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ds_en/item/weapons_attackcapability_ver5.html

I can't swear by its accuracy though. Oh, and apparently Hiltless is called Gripless over there.

creid

EasyMode said:
Yeah the Thief Ring makes a big difference in world 4. It will also let you take on those skeletons one at a time. And that last reaper is a pain in the ass. I think the last time I got to that part, I just used soul remains to distract him so I could run past.
I always forget about those consumable items. I eventually got by him by running up close to his ghost buddy so that it would melee me instead of shooting a beam. This allowed me to lure the ghost out of the room and kill him without exposing myself to the reaper. Once he was out of the picture it was pretty easy to take out the reaper alone, but the poorness of the lockon in a situation like that didn't help. I tried running past the room altogether a few times, but got oneshotted by a projectile spell every time :/

oneils

johntown said:
Get the strength to use it. It is the one of the only shields I use besides the Dark Silver Shield.

Yeah, I finally noticed that is has great fire protection. Those darn fat boys and fire bombs will no longer be a pain!

EasyMode: I haven't been able to check about that stone yet, holiday and work kept me from my ps3 all weekend. I'll check tonight for you though and send you a message. Unless you found one and if so then congrats.

crpav

Finally started this game yesterday and so far LOVE it. I died early fighting the first boss in the "tutorial". I had to choose a level so went to what looks like 1-1 which I didn't know at the time. I died a few times and lost some souls but finally earned my way back to the living by beating Phalanx. Awesome game.

Eccocid

Sl. 79
i am still lingering in first run.
SOMEONE HELP ME TO KILL THAT OLD FAKE WHATEVER KING!
he is driving me nuts!
almost killed him twice....he used grass to heal bohoho
such a boring fight!

Eccocid said:
Sl. 79
he is driving me nuts!
such a boring fight!

Equip the thief's ring. Get near him, strike him a few times, run away until he stops pursuing you. Come back and repeat.

I used this tactics to kill him. Bare in mind that I used a weapon with a stunlock, so you may experience a bit of a difficulty until you figure it out.

Reilly

Eccocid said:
Sl. 79
he is driving me nuts!
such a boring fight!

Just poison him from a distance and wait for him to die.

Eccocid

Lagspike_exe said:
Equip the thief's ring. Get near him, strike him a few times, run away until he stops pursuing you. Come back and repeat.

I used this tactics to kill him. Bare in mind that I used a weapon with a stunlock, so you may experience a bit of a difficulty until you figure it out.

Yes but that takes forever with my magic build character!
I want to summon someone with ya know those big ass swords and crush his skull!

oneils

Tried the tower knight tonight. I was too slow so I unequipped some items to quicken my movement. Seemed to help. I screwed it up and died, though.

I tended to unlock him when I was running away to avoid his shield bash, but then I'd lose sight of him. That's what did me in. So, I think I will keep him locked all the time and then just back up when I need to get away. That way I will always keep him in my sights.

calder

Johnas said:
Platinum trophy!

Completely ready for Dark Souls.
Platinum-ing this game is one trophy that really impresses me. Maybe because I got a bit more than halfway through the story when I played and got like 2% of the trophies lol. It just struck me as a hellish plat to go for, like even harder than Burnout Paradise or Warhawk. May not be accurate I guess, but grats regardless!

creid

calder said:
Platinum-ing this game is one trophy that really impresses me. Maybe because I got a bit more than halfway through the story when I played and got like 2% of the trophies lol. It just struck me as a hellish plat to go for, like even harder than Burnout Paradise or Warhawk. May not be accurate I guess, but grats regardless!
Burnout Paradise? That was really easy to get, it was the only one I had for a while. Did you mean 1000/1000? The achievements were a lot harder, IIRC.

RyanDG said:
Glad to hear it. I know at first the combat seems really simple (your complaint you lodged earlier), but the more you get into it and the more you get to play around with it, it does have a lot more depth to its system than you first realize (ie, not being just slash and roll, slash and roll).

When I first started playing, that's what I thought it was. Once I got used to just moving slow, made the game 100x easier. The only time I have any trouble is on boss fights. I looked up strategies for all of them so far, but I think I'm gonna try to kill them on my own from now on. It's somewhat ruining the exp.

U7fk7.jpg

My body is ready.

Now all I need is an actual PS3.

Mikeside

I know this is really petty but shouldn't it be Demons' Souls instead of Demon's Souls? Demon's Souls implies that all the souls belong to one Demon... or am I completely confused?

mt1200

IamMikeside said:
I know this is really petty but shouldn't it be Demons' Souls instead of Demon's Souls? Demon's Souls implies that all the souls belong to one Demon... or am I completely confused?

Every enemy or demon you kill gives you several souls, not only one.

Mikeside

mt1200 said:
Every enemy or demon you kill gives you several souls, not only one.

Yeah, but Demon's Souls implies that there's only 1 demon, whereas Demons' Souls implies that many demons have souls

RyanDG

IamMikeside said:
Yeah, but Demon's Souls implies that there's only 1 demon, whereas Demons' Souls implies that many demons have souls

One way to look at it would be to infer that the Demon in the title references the Old One - a singular Demon who has now 'collected' numerous souls.

oneils

creid said:
Every time you kill a demon, you get that demon's souls. Is that not enough?

If that is the case, then you could just name it Demon Souls.

:p

By the way, I managed to kill the Tower Knight and the Red Dragon. As a result I have lots of cool loot. This also made Boletarian Palace Pure White World Tendency.

I've heard how that opens up a spot in 1-1. So, I decided to check it out. Some crazy chick with a pretty scary axe attacked. I had her down to where one more hit would have killed her, but then she got really aggressive and kicked my ass. Totally caught me by surprise. Her speed and rolls were pretty scary.

Instead of going back to the nexus I decided to give it another shot. When I met up with her again, this time inside of tower, she managed to roll herself right out into the pit! HAHA! Luckily I was able to get her gear at the bottom.

oneils said:
If that is the case, then you could just name it Demon Souls.

:p

By the way, I managed to kill the Tower Knight and the Red Dragon. As a result I have lots of cool loot. This also made Boletarian Palace Pure White World Tendency.

I've heard how that opens up a spot in 1-1. So, I decided to check it out. Some crazy chick with a pretty scary axe attacked. I had her down to where one more hit would have killed her, but then she got really aggressive and kicked my ass. Totally caught me by surprise. Her speed and rolls were pretty scary.

Instead of going back to the nexus I decided to give it another shot. When I met up with her again, this time inside of tower, she managed to roll herself right out into the pit! HAHA! Luckily I was able to get her gear at the bottom.

There's a colorless soul in that shaft too, resting on a plank. Its kind of a bitch to reach though.

I just summoned a phanton on 2-2 :O

He destroyed everything in sight! Then a black phantom invaded and he utterly DESTROYED him. Then he took on the Flame lurker demon single handedly in like 45 seconds. I'm gonna send him a friend request.

This game is fucking insane lol.

Wolf Akela said:
U7fk7.jpg

My body is ready.

Now all I need is an actual PS3.

You're in for a treat. I didn't want to fall for the hype because I got burned by GAF before (Red Dead Redemption SUCKED!) but this game is incredible. Dark Souls, day fucking one!

Top Bottom