• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

See You Next Wednesday said:
Try buying Homing Soul Arrows & Second Chance. They are broken powerful regardless of your magic & faith stats.

It's basically easy mode with everything when you have those two. You need to have not used some specific boss demon souls to buy them though.

Do you just assign Second Chance to the slot and it occurs instantly when you die?

Ourobolus

Banned
shiroryu said:
Wooden Catalyst can be found in the first watch tower in 1-2, IIRC.
Yeah, you're right. I'm almost positive that there's one in 3-1 as well, you pick it up in addition to some Saint's Robes or something like that.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Do you just assign Second Chance to the slot and it occurs instantly when you die?
You have to cast it first.

Sarcasm

TheExplodingHead said:
Be sure to bring the Purple Flame Shield to 2-2, and the Ring of Fire Resistance...you'll thank me later. :p

I can't hold the PFS, I think it needs a STR of 22? I have only raised STR to 15. END is at 20 and VIT is at 14 (I think) I mean I could farm but I am already at need 5K+ per lvl.

This game isn't that hard, its an enjoyable hard - even if I die to environment more than mobs. But the way GAF made it out - sounded like I'd lose all my hair.

Loving the game so far. Even if the game is creepy, like silent hill creepy (reminds me of silent hill)

Massa said:
So the
1-4 boss
was designed so you couldn't beat him with melee right? Too bad I don't feel like leveling up a ranged attack (at 35k souls per level) right now, else I'd probably finish this game.

Blargh.

Patiently study his attack patterns and don't get greedy when he opens up a little and allows for a couple of quick strikes. Two is fairly safe. Three may be asking for a soulsucking.
When his sword hits the ground is definitely a nice time for one or two quick swipes and then roll right back out of his immediate attack range.
Overcoming that initial urge/panic to end the confrontation asap is always crucial, though that is a given with this wonderful beast.

Sarcasm said:
I can't hold the PFS, I think it needs a STR of 22? I have only raised STR to 15. END is at 20 and VIT is at 14 (I think) I mean I could farm but I am already at need 5K+ per lvl.

This game isn't that hard, its an enjoyable hard - even if I die to environment more than mobs. But the way GAF made it out - sounded like I'd lose all my hair.

Loving the game so far. Even if the game is creepy, like silent hill creepy (reminds me of silent hill)

Trust me, get your Stg up to 22 pronto, and not just for the PFS. Your attack power will become a lot better at 22 on NG, not to mention stat scaling. But yeah, since it doesn't look like your much of a magic user you'll need to use the PFS against
Flamelurker
, or get really good at rolling and casting Soul Arrow/Ray.

zkylon

zkylewd
Second attempt and beat the spider. Not so hard when i managed to time the roll to dodge the web spitting. Probably wasted way too many herbs though...

Ourobolus said:
Yeah, you're right. I'm almost positive that there's one in 3-1 as well, you pick it up in addition to some Saint's Robes or something like that.

You have to cast it first.
There's one right at the beginning of 3-1, you got to beat the Cthulhu guy first, then grab the key from the wall and it's one of the locked cells.

Number45

Yeah, so fuck the
false idol
. Annoying bitch.

Just 5-1 of the -1 levels to get down now - I'm getting there (although tonight I feel like I played worse somehow).

Number45

Man said:
I killed the Capra demon on first attempt, didn't use more than two or three flasks. I guess people met him lower level than me though as the area prior was just meat to the grinder, I was around 35 or so (and I had a Dark Knight Sword + 2).
Going through Bl
ight town
pretty easily as well. Spending a day fighting for my life in the tomb of
Giants
hardened me.
So... wrong thread? :p

Wow, just went toe-to-toe on my NG++ (SL 133) with a Phantom as the boss to 3-3 and won. Total fight lasted about 10 minutes straight, pretty evenly matched absolute best boss fight ever this gen!

zkylon

zkylewd
darkvir said:
good progress today good progress.... i'm getting the hang of it now

i think.
Got to the bosses of 2-2 and 4-1 (beat the mini boss in the process) and i think i'm getting the hang of it myself. I can't for the life of me remember how the hell did i get to the boss in 2-2, so i'll just keep trying 4-1, since it seems easier.

Massa

Ourobolus said:
I used melee for pretty much the entire game, but it wasn't until maybe the last 3 bosses or so that I really started to use Warding. That spell then carried me through the next few NG+x games. Such a useful spell. Other than Evacuate and Soulsucker, I hardly used any other spells.

With Warding I got it on my first try (well, second, since I completely forgot to recast it the first time). Thanks!

Now I want to go to Dark Souls but I don't think I can resist the temptation of NG+ with all the nice things I ignored on my first playthrough (like Magic and Miracles). Decisions, decisions...

Sarcasm

Massa said:
With Warding I got it on my first try (well, second, since I completely forgot to recast it the first time). Thanks!

Now I want to go to Dark Souls but I don't think I can resist the temptation of NG+ with all the nice things I ignored on my first playthrough (like Magic and Miracles). Decisions, decisions...

Continue and watch for a sale!

Sarcasm

Also I can farm to upgrade my long compound bow to sticky but that changes it to base of DEX right? I will most likely be raising my STR to 22 about it but not DEX.

What should I do?

Sarcasm

UnblessedSoul said:
So I finally got around to playing this game, which class is the best? and can you share some tips for beginners thanks

They aren't really classes more like starting gear since you can choose like soldier than build yourself to be a mage.

I went with Royalty (before knowing thats a good starter set due to soul arrow)

thefil

TheExplodingHead said:
Wow, just went toe-to-toe on my NG++ (SL 133) with a Phantom as the boss to 3-3 and won. Total fight lasted about 10 minutes straight, pretty evenly matched absolute best boss fight ever this gen!

In my first playthrough, I didn't even realize I was fighting a phantom. It was so easy. The guy barely did anything, I was wondering what they were thinking with the boss.

shiroryu

UnblessedSoul said:
So I finally got around to playing this game, which class is the best? and can you share some tips for beginners thanks
No best class, 'class' is more like starting stats and gear. You can get your favored combination of melee weapons/ranged weapons/magic/miracles pretty early no matter what you start off as.

Best beginner class: Temple Knight if melee, Royal for magic. TK gets the Heal miracle which helps, and Royal gets MP boost and regen accessories and the powerful Soul Arrow.

Tip-wise: explore 1-1, the beginning level, for a ring that boosts your Soul Form HP, as well as a ring that reduces the distance at which enemies see you and reduces the surprises. Keep your shield up when exploring, but lower it occasionally in actual combat so you regain the stamina lost from blocking and rolling. Experiment with your 'moveset' and the controls at the beginning so you don't choke when actually fighting.

thefil said:
In my first playthrough, I didn't even realize I was fighting a phantom. It was so easy. The guy barely did anything, I was wondering what they were thinking with the boss.

This was my first time doing OldMonk PvP as well, every other time I signed out of PSN. But it was cool in the sense that this guy was no pushover, we both respected each others' heal, and was just a long grueling battle of distance and skill.

Went in with Ancient King's set, and a Large Sword of Searching, two-handed. And I didn't cast one spell or miracle, just methodical man-to-man! :p

shiroryu

UnblessedSoul said:
Ok im a TK, I just died on the tutorial boss, is it possible to defeat it?
It is, but you'd have to had take off some armor so you roll quickly, and be patient enough. Most first-timers will not beat him, and generally you're not supposed to beat him unless you've mastered the DS combat style. Next playthrough.

You'll get a second chance to school him sooner than you think :)

Ive found the soul ring but cant find the other, whats with the blood messages saying help Im in trouble please recommend? OMG the dragon just scorched me

oracrest

UnblessedSoul said:
Ive found the soul ring but cant find the other, whats with the blood messages saying help Im in trouble please recommend? OMG the dragon just scorched me

When you recommend a message, the player that created it will get full health in their game, so these are usually out of desperation if a player is stuck, or if they want to try and get a periodic boost while they are playing.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
You are badass as always Oracrest!

Haha. I was thinking of putting that run on a DVD, and sending it to FROM. As far as I know, it's one of the harder, if not most difficult, standard (as in non-speedrun) playthroughs out there.

UnblessedSoul said:
Ok im a TK, I just died on the tutorial boss, is it possible to defeat it?

Oh, that's possible too :)

I got the big black knight boss to 1/10th health but died, now I keep dieing from the dragon just trying to get back there, still haven't found any better armor or weapons yet

Reading through some pages in this thread and watching some videos I realize that after having beat the game for the first time the other day that there are two things I never did in the entire game.

I never figured out how to do communication "gestures" and I never even knew you could lock on to targets....hahaha.

linko9

William Percy Nightstick said:
Reading through some pages in this thread and watching some videos I realize that after having beat the game for the first time the other day that there are two things I never did in the entire game.

I never figured out how to do communication "gestures" and I never even knew you could lock on to targets....hahaha.

Jesus, that's impressive that you got through the game without lockon.

oracrest said:
Haha. I was thinking of putting that run on a DVD, and sending it to FROM. As far as I know, it's one of the harder, if not most difficult, standard (as in non-speedrun) playthroughs out there.
You should add your SL 1 run as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
UnblessedSoul said:
I got the big black knight boss to 1/10th health but died, now I keep dieing from the dragon just trying to get back there, still haven't found any better armor or weapons yet
If you haven't, try unequipping all your armor to run faster.

Sarcasm

UnblessedSoul said:

You can kill the red dragon on the bridge with a bow (if you have been raising STR to 15 you can use the long compound bow you find in 4-1 - I used it and about 150 arrows that I bought from nexus vendor) I think killing it you can go back to the nest and grab some items.

Okay guys, I can upgrade my Crescant Falchion +1 to next or to Falchion.

I really not a magic user. Plan to raise STR to 22. My vit is at 14 and my END is at 20.

What path to take?

Sarcasm said:
You can kill the red dragon on the bridge with a bow (if you have been raising STR to 15 you can use the long compound bow you find in 4-1 - I used it and about 150 arrows that I bought from nexus vendor) I think killing it you can go back to the nest and grab some items.

I really not a magic user. Plan to raise STR to 22. My vit is at 14 and my END is at 20.

What path to take?

My advice is just go basic/quality/sharp Scimitar/Falchion and don't waste the meltstone on the Crescant, it might come in handy later. Stick to mid-high basic upgrades for now, they stack well with Stg/Dex early on.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
oracrest said:
When you recommend a message, the player that created it will get full health in their game, so these are usually out of desperation if a player is stuck, or if they want to try and get a periodic boost while they are playing.
Mind. Blown.

Seriously, I've been playing since the Asian version, and I never knew that!
I thought if a message was recommended there would be more chance to summon around it or something. That's amazing, haha!

Been watching this guy from VideoGameBangers play through, and it's interesting hearing his thoughts and seeing how he improves. Makes me want to play through again, but not before smashing Dark Souls at the end of this month. Payday = new PS3 :D

Sarcasm said:

What path to take?
That's a downgrade not an upgrade. Using meltstone undoes all upgrades to a weapon and returns it to it's basic state. If you're making a strength character there are much better weapons to use than a falchion. Curved swords get a lot of their damage bonus from dexterity (or magic in the case of crescent weapons).

Sarcasm

electroshockwave said:
That's a downgrade not an upgrade. Using meltstone undoes all upgrades to a weapon and returns it to it's basic state. If you're making a strength character there are much better weapons to use than a falchion. Curved swords get a lot of their damage bonus from dexterity (or magic in the case of crescent weapons).

Oh than couldn't I upgrade it to something after striping the crescent?

Sarcasm

electroshockwave said:
What are you planning to upgrade it to?

I want something that scales with STR..since I dont' really plan on upping my DEX. Or magic. I may get some slots for a few spells but thats about it.

Sarcasm said:
I want something that scales with STR..since I dont' really plan on upping my DEX. Or magic. I may get some slots for a few spells but thats about it.
Like I said, the falchion isn't much use for strength builds. It doesn't have a Crushing upgrade path (the path that gives large stat bonuses based on strength) and the highest stat bonus for strength is a C on the Quality upgrade path, which also relies equally on Dex for damage so it wouldn't be much use to you.

For a strength character I'd say you would be better off using a club/great club and Adjudicator's soul to make a Meat Cleaver. Or make a crushing claymore, mirdan hammer or great axe.

zkylon said:
Ugh, can't beat Flamelurker when he gets on overdrive mode and i'm pretty much stuck in every other world :/

Just equip the Thief Ring, and go in light so you can roll effectively. Only attack him once or twice when he misses an attack as you strafe, this means you'll only be attacking the side of his leg or his ass. Or when he misses an area attack go in and attack once and dodge his next attack. And in the early parts of the fight when he hangs back just spam Soul Arrow. Purple Flame Shield helps immensely here, but you might need to equip Ring of Great Strength to roll effectively with it.

The basic strategy when he goes into overdrive mode is avoid him, roll out of range of his attacks, and wait for a shot to get him when he misses.

zkylon

zkylewd
TheExplodingHead said:
Just equip the Thief Ring, and go in light so you can roll effectively. Only attack him once or twice when he misses an attack as you strafe, this means you'll only be attacking the side of his leg or his ass. Or when he misses an area attack go in and attack once and dodge his next attack. And in the early parts of the fight when he hangs back just spam Soul Arrow. Purple Flame Shield helps immensely here, but you might need to equip Ring of Great Strength to roll effectively with it.

The basic strategy when he goes into overdrive mode is avoid him, roll out of range of his attacks, and wait for a shot to get him when he misses.
I have neither item :(

I get him to like 20% health but he usually manages to corner me and two hit kill me with the fire sphere magic thingie. Guess it's a matter of persistence. I might put a few extra points to magic, see if that boosts my damage a bit, though i barely even notice the effects of my stat allocation.

zkylon said:
I have neither item :(

I get him to like 20% health but he usually manages to corner me and two hit kill me with the fire sphere magic thingie. Guess it's a matter of persistence. I might put a few extra points to magic, see if that boosts my damage a bit, though i barely even notice the effects of my stat allocation.

You get both of them in 1-1. :p

Pretty simple to find them if you know where to look, especially atm with PWWT. Just check the DS wiki.

darkvir said:
Kept getting to the boss in 4-1, got smoked 3 times.... maybe I'll try one more time before grinding a bit.
4-1 boss is easy so you shouldn't need to grind. Just keep attacking the piece of his weapon lodged in the left side of his stomach (your right) to bring him to his knees. And keep moving around him in an anti-clockwise direction and he shouldn't be able to hit you.

Top Bottom