• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

electroshockwave said:
4-1 boss is easy so you shouldn't need to grind. Just keep attacking the piece of his weapon lodged in the left side of his stomach (your right) to bring him to his knees. And keep moving around him in an anti-clockwise direction and he shouldn't be able to hit you.

Or better yet, stay on top & spam magic or firebomb while strafing left to right with your back to the wall.

conman

Okay DS fans, here's the situation:

I bought Demon's Souls at launch. Played for 20 hours, but lost my save due to YLOD. I started playing again and got back to where I was, but then lost interest when I realized I needed to start soul grinding (for levels and weapon upgrades). It's been shelved ever since.

Fast forward to the past couple of weeks and the crazy Dark Souls hype. I'm now convinced that maybe I was playing Demon's Souls wrong or approaching it the wrong way. So my question is, was I doing something wrong? Is Demon's Souls really as grind-heavy as it seemed? If so, should I just skip to Dark Souls and expect a different experience?

Grinding only gives you more margin for making mistakes. You should focus more on learning enemy patterns and memorizing the layout of the levels. Dark Souls is significantly more difficult than Demon's Souls, which will make you spend even more time grinding.

conman

archnemesis said:
Grinding only gives you more margin for making mistakes. You should focus more on learning enemy patterns and memorizing the layout of the levels. Dark Souls is significantly more difficult than Demon's Souls, which will make you spend even more time grinding.
That's good to hear. I must have been doing it wrong. I tried multiple times to get into it, and got relatively far (beat 7 or so stages). But it never grabbed me in the way it seemed to grab other people. Once I found myself grinding the skeletons in 4-1, I lost total interest. But now it sounds like I was, in fact, doing it wrong. Perhaps another shot is in order.

What's the deal with the Blue Dragon. I've seen people say that you have to beat it immediately after beating 1-4, without going back to the Nexus or it'll disappear until the NG. I want to finish 1-3 so I can get Ostrava back to the Nexus and not have to worry about making sure he's safe each time I enter the level but I don't think I'm ready for the Dragon and would prefer to leave it until later.

Number45

alr1ghtstart said:
The most dangerous enemy in this game is no guardrails. My #1 complaint/irritant.
The amount of times I've activated a bloodstain wondering how they managed to die there only to see them fall to their doom is amazing - probably seen more of those than death by combat.

Sarcasm

I found a Kilji, hows that? I notice it eats more stam than the crescent falchion +1 I was using...

why?

I have only bumped up VIT to 14, END to 20, STR to 15.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
fuck this bitch
bp-meat-cleaver.jpg

hell, fuck this whole level. :(

Massa

I think I ran through most of that level. "This shit is fucked up, gotta get the fuck outta here!" was the mindset.

conman said:
That's good to hear. I must have been doing it wrong. I tried multiple times to get into it, and got relatively far (beat 7 or so stages). But it never grabbed me in the way it seemed to grab other people. Once I found myself grinding the skeletons in 4-1, I lost total interest. But now it sounds like I was, in fact, doing it wrong. Perhaps another shot is in order.

The thing is, the majority of enemies you face are pathetically easy.
They are basically variations of the zombies & skeletons you face in the first level.
Enemies with higher HP, like the Gargoyles are usually super slow & easy to dodge & run past.

The Skeletons in 4-1 are probably one of the hardest normal enemies you face in the game.

Leunam

Mechanized said:
Is there any point to dual wielding 2 daggers? Tried it as a thief and it doesn't seem to give any unique attacks or anything.

You can attack with both but there really isn't any point.

alr1ghtstart said:
fuck this bitch
http://demonssouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/black-phantoms/bp-meat-cleaver.jpg[IMG]

hell, fuck this whole level. :([/QUOTE]

lol, imagine my surprise when I came to a little island only to get blasted in the back by the meat cleaver. Very close loss for me and completely blindsided me.

alr1ght

I was minding my business lootwhoring around the edges when I turn around and get a meat cleaver to my face. I was not amused.

alr1ght

What the fuck. I was trying to get the Brushwood Shield in 1-1. I ran out of item space, so O went back to the Nexus, cleared space, came back and it was fucking gone. It's bullshit like this that really ruins the charm of this game.

alr1ghtstart said:
What the fuck. I was trying to get the Brushwood Shield in 1-1. I ran out of item space, so O went back to the Nexus, cleared space, came back and it was fucking gone. It's bullshit like this that really ruins the charm of this game.

A big part of this game is inventory management, but I hear you same thing happened to me first playthrough, and it sucks. Good thing I guess is that you can always kill Biorr for the same shield and armor, just do it after you kill
Penetrator

alr1ght

See it's stupid shit like that is just irritating and the opposite of fun. Who wants to micro-manage inventory as some type of gameplay mechanic? You basically have to use a guide in order to not get dicked by some random occurrences in the game. I hear there's no equip burden in Dark Souls, so at least I can look forward to that.

Sarcasm

I don't think I am suppose to be fighting the adjucator yet..I can't make him fall down when trying to stab his wound. Even after 15 stabs. Should I just say good bye to my 25K souls?

Sarcasm

Oh hells yes beat it! I forgot I had my soul arrow lol!

Also had no mana consumables but got that MP ring so somehow managed to get to a spot where he just idled..and waited to regen LOLl

darkvir

I had a blue & red phantom going on at the same time! We both managed to smoke Wesker105 or something.

BUT as we made progress... the server kicked me off :( :( :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Very productive day today. Beat the bosses in 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2 and 2-2. Basically just tried to find their weaknesses and expanded my equipment adding bows and swords that deal fire or magic damage. I found this to be awesomely effective.

This would be my current gameflow:
a) slowly explore the dungeon one step at a time, try to grab everything, be on the lookout for checkpoints, get to the boss and tattoo into your brain that your life and your souls are worth nothing. die a lot
b) try fighting the boss for the first time and get destroyed in two hits
c) try different weapons and magic on your subsequent attempts and die a lot
d) use coward techniques and try to exploit those weaknesses. die a lot
e) farm souls in 4-1 for 15 minutes and buy a bunch of grass
f) do d) but use a lot of grass
g) profit!

edit: junior no more! yay!

Sarcasm

Can you plat this game without every going online? Also would the game tendency change if I sign into PSN on the PS3 XMB or a different game?

Number45

Sarcasm said:
Can you plat this game without every going online? Also would the game tendency change if I sign into PSN on the PS3 XMB or a different game?
The online tendency is only going to be affected if you sign into PSN while Demon's Souls is running.

alr1ght

canadian crowe said:
F the
Man Eaters
. They are so deceptively simple, but they kick my ass every time. Any tips?

don't fall over the edge. :p

use that firepit in the middle as cover.

Shai-Tan

Banned
conman said:

in both games there's spots to easily farm souils, no need to grind randomly if you feel underleveled. e.g. the beginning of 4-2 is a lot better than 4-1, especially after you get the ability to warp back to the nexus (kill reaper then warp back over and over)

Sarcasm

Quick question, what would be a good weapon for some one that currently only bumped up to:

VIT 14
END 20
STR 22

Also with Purple Flame Shield, should it eat a lot of stam? Especially when blocking a flame? I did a first kill on that robo but thats what I noticed about it.

kyubajin

Sarcasm said:
Quick question, what would be a good weapon for some one that currently only bumped up to:

VIT 14
END 20
STR 22
Try the crushing path of upgrade, it will benefit the most from your STR assuming you keep bumping it.

RedSwirl

Tower Knight and Dragon God are dead. Moving onto the other 2nd bosses. I see from the wiki that each 2nd boss is immediately followed by the 3rd boss excluding Boletarian Palace. Are they all like the Dragon God or are the rest of them traditional bosses? I heard about a fog glitch for the 3-2 boss but couldn't do it. Did they patch that out?

Oh, and what black world tendency events are there?

RedSwirl said:
Tower Knight and Dragon God are dead. Moving onto the other 2nd bosses. I see from the wiki that each 2nd boss is immediately followed by the 3rd boss excluding Boletarian Palace. Are they all like the Dragon God or are the rest of them traditional bosses? I heard about a fog glitch for the 3-2 boss but couldn't do it. Did they patch that out?

Oh, and what black world tendency events are there?

The Dragon God was the only one like that.
Outside the very last bosses in World 4 & 5, the rest are all traditional boss fights.

As for the list of events in white & black tendencies:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/white-world-tendency-events
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/black-world-tendency-events

ruxtpin

Banned
This past weekend I got through the bosses of 1-2 and 2-1 (did 1-1 a few weeks back). The game is starting to click and I'm looking forward to making my way through 2-2 this weekend (sort-of). =P

oracrest

ruxtpin said:
This past weekend I got through the bosses of 1-2 and 2-1 (did 1-1 a few weeks back). The game is starting to click and I'm looking forward to making my way through 2-2 this weekend (sort-of). =P

That's about when it clicked for me too, after beating the Tower Knight.

Leunam

RedSwirl said:
What are the 4 & 5 archdemons like?

4-3 is very awesome, due to the location. 5-3 is awesome if you've been following the story for that area and gleaned what little information you can from other NPCs.

Also, they may be the easiest of the Archdemons.

Right now my stats are something like, well i'm not at home so I can't quite say. Bascially balanced 15-STR, 16-END, 16-VIT and minor 14-MAG or so.
Am I screwing myself if I continue on this path? Just did Tower Knight with coward tactics lol.

My heart opened to this again over the weekened after calling it quite like a year ago. My how I've missed you.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
alr1ghtstart said:
See it's stupid shit like that is just irritating and the opposite of fun. Who wants to micro-manage inventory as some type of gameplay mechanic? You basically have to use a guide in order to not get dicked by some random occurrences in the game. I hear there's no equip burden in Dark Souls, so at least I can look forward to that.

There's equip burden, but there's no carry burden.

oracrest

AgentOtaku said:
Right now my stats are something like, well i'm not at home so I can't quite say. Bascially balanced 15-STR, 16-END, 16-VIT and minor 14-MAG or so.
Am I screwing myself if I continue on this path? Just did Tower Knight with coward tactics lol.

My heart opened to this again over the weekened after calling it quite like a year ago. My how I've missed you.

If your not dumping stats into luck, it's hard to truly screw yourself with stats. I find stamina is most useful, as it opens up longer chains of attacks, and your equip burden goes up. That's another helpful thing to have.

Apdiddy

ruxtpin said:

Yup, same here....I'm trying to go through 3-1 before 2-2 but got killed by the Mind Flayers (and lost about 5000 souls in the process).

I think I'm severely underleveled....currently I'm at soul level 26 as a Knight but can't seem to upgrade from the more basic equipment. Did get the spells unlocked.

Top Bottom