• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Torraz

electroshockwave said:
Do you have the Atlus version? That's the only one with a white tendency event right now.

Magic is the stat that adds damage to crescent/moon weapons not intelligence. Intelligence is for your MP and number of spell memory slots and you should only really have it at the amount you need for whatever spells you need to remember or use. Endurance is always useful but don't forget about vitality.

Ah. No, I have the Namco Bandai EU one. I bought that one later on the cheap since I wanted the guide...

Since the US demons souls save was locked I think it was lost when I did a complete hard disk save/restore when I switched the original PS 3 hard drive for a new one?

Thanks regarding the feedback regarding the stats. I had not realized the importance of Vit. I haven't really used it in dark souls where I use sword and board with high END.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Gave it another shot and this time I used R3 to lock targets. Wow what a difference. No more clunky swinging around or trying to aim with the bow.

I'm amazed how far I had gotten without it, lol.

Grinchy

Banned
luxarific said:
But re 5-2: I hated the loss of mobility, the lack of visibility and just the sheer grossness of the level. That level actually made the game less appealing to me as a whole. I don't mind darkness and I don't mind the sense of isolation in Demon's Souls - those elements are actually why I like the game so much. But 5-2 goes way beyond simple isolation and darkness into something that's actively unpleasant to play.

I agree with all those points, and yet that's why I love the level so much. I couldn't stand even being in it at first. But, little by little, I got comfortable with navigating certain parts of the zone, then I'd go back and find things I missed. Before I knew it, I could clear the entire area without any fear. I think overcoming my hatred of the level is what made me like it so much. On +'s, I actually looked forward to the level moreso than any other.

The lack of mobility IMO just made it so that I had to be really careful about being on the ground when I took on the big guys. I liked that about it. I never fought anything difficult while standing in the swamp.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I don't know what's wrong with you guys. I loathed playing Valley of Defilement. The level aesthetic was awesome, but every NG+ I was least looking forward to it.

5-1 is just a pain because of all of the narrow paths and ledges (and I lock-on/camera glitched to my death many times), and 5-2 is just slow going. Trudging through the muck was the biggest pain in the ass - not because I was fighting anything, since you can avoid most enemies when you're walking through it, but because it was just so damn tedious.

The only saving grace about VoD for me was that all of the bosses there are ridiculously easy.

Leunam

Valley of Defilement actually has a lot going for it. The first two bosses are completely forgettable and the first area was too short and really doesn't emphasize the descent into this supposedly hidden valley because of that, but Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea and their area almost completely make up for any missteps.

Leunam said:
Valley of Defilement actually has a lot going for it. The first two bosses are completely forgettable and the first area was too short and really doesn't emphasize the descent into this supposedly hidden valley because of that, but Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea and their area almost completely make up for any missteps.

Fun fact, I've never actually killed the Maiden, just stomped Garl Vinland. :\

Personally my favorite fight (especially on NG+) is Old King Doran. Pretty predictable but he stalks you down for the most part and capitalizes on your mistakes.

Number45

Man 2-1 itself is a breeze, but dammit that spider really isn't magic friendly! Oh well, it's finally done... I'm human again! ^_^

Going to attempt 3-1 again using the Thief's Ring and also a poison resistance ring I have will be helpful for those annoying gits.

Quick question. I have the Crescent Falchion +1 which I need Darkmoon Stone to upgrade. I've found a Crystal Lizard near the entrance of 4-1 (drop from the ledge where you meet the crow). Is that there every time, and is it the best/easiest way to get those shards?

Number45

I have no idea. When I have a little time I'll drop some random (non-valuable) things in the hope that I'll get something nice.

Number45 said:
Man 2-1 itself is a breeze, but dammit that spider really isn't magic friendly! Oh well, it's finally done... I'm human again! ^_^

Going to attempt 3-1 again using the Thief's Ring and also a poison resistance ring I have will be helpful for those annoying gits.

Quick question. I have the Crescent Falchion +1 which I need Darkmoon Stone to upgrade. I've found a Crystal Lizard near the entrance of 4-1 (drop from the ledge where you meet the crow). Is that there every time, and is it the best/easiest way to get those shards?

For 3-1, just don't open the caskets. That's where the only place poison zombies are at.
Have magic or arrows for one particular enemy in that level as well.

Instead of farming those lizards for hours, you can do the dupe glitch to get as much as you need.

wwm0nkey

So just borrowed this from a friend.

Took 17 hours but I beat it. pretty much destroyed 3 archdemons in a row. Great game, though I don't get why people where saying its super hard, I mean its harder than most games out there though I will say that.

Leunam

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
What do you give to the crow, exactly?

Did you get the Brass Telescope? Give her that. If you have a spare Talisman of God, give her that also. One at a time, though.

Number45

See You Next Wednesday said:
For 3-1, just don't open the caskets. That's where the only place poison zombies are at.
Have magic or arrows for one particular enemy in that level as well.

Instead of farming those lizards for hours, you can do the dupe glitch to get as much as you need.
I wasn't sure if there was anything useful in any of those caskets, but if not then I'll just leave them alone (I find it so hard not looking in every nook/cranny). I'm built for magic so I'm covered there. :)

Not sure I like the idea of a dupe glitch, but I guess that might change when I've played more of the game and decide I really need to.

Sarcasm

So defeated 1-1. I been farming souls and some items to upgrade weapons. I found a brushwood set..too heavy to wear. My endurance is at 20. Where can I find better armor that can replace my royals wizard crap?

Number45

Sarcasm said:
So defeated 1-1. I been farming souls and some items to upgrade weapons. I found a brushwood set..too heavy to wear. My endurance is at 20. Where can I find better armor that can replace my royals wizard crap?
Damn you Atlus'ers and your PWWT! *cries*

You might want to have that set handy for the end of 2-1. I'm rocking Assassin's gear at the moment, which I picked up from 3-1.

Sarcasm

I can't wear brushwood yet. My endurance is only up to 20. =(

So I guess do 3-1 instead? I tried 2-1 those guys that throw fire melt me and my wizard robe.

Also how do I tell what stat I need for a weapon (like bow) because I see red but I don't really understand since it just title as main hand weapon 1?

Ourobolus

Banned
Sarcasm said:

So I guess do 3-1 instead? I tried 2-1 those guys that throw fire melt me and my wizard robe.

Also how do I tell what stat I need for a weapon (like bow) because I see red but I don't really understand since it just title as main hand weapon 1?
Brushwood is ridiculously heavy. Not really worth it for quite some time.
As for the guys that throw fire, get a shield and block the fire, or roll to the side!

The stats for using a weapon are listed towards the bottom of the item description (Press square in the inventory). They use symbols instead of using the statistic name, but from left to right it's Strength, Dexterity, Magic, and Faith. Those are the minimum numbers required to use that weapon effectively.

Number45

Sarcasm said:

Yeah, I'm still working on the stat descriptions to be honest. Trying to compare shields fries my brain (and affects attack power somehow).

For the fire dudes in 2-1, I'm just locking on at a distance and rolling out of the way of incoming attacks. For those where that's not feasible (there's a guy towards the end of the level where you're ushered towards him at least part of the way in a straight line) I've baited an attack and then rolled up/around him to hit him in the face with my Crescent Falchion +1.

As someone equally as green at this game as you are (and playing glass cannon) I have to say 2-1 is so much easier to get through than I found 3-1 or 4-1 when I first tried them.

In fact, 3-1 scares me shitless to be honest. I'm going back there tonight...

Number45 said:
Yeah, I'm still working on the stat descriptions to be honest. Trying to compare shields fries my brain (and affects attack power somehow).

The most important thing for shields is the Damage Reduction %, a 100 means you will block any damage 100% when attacked. Anything lower & damage will be transferred to you even if you block an attack.

The second important thing is the Guard Break Reduction %. The higher it is, the less of the stamina bar you lose when you get hit with the shield up.
So a low % means a single hit when you're blocking can drain nearly all your stamnia & leave you open to attack, while a high % means you can keep blocking consecutive attacks repeatedly.
The highest break reduction % shields have is maxed at 70 I think.

The attack power stat for Shields is for when you shield bash an enemy,. It's completely worthless stat to take into consideration.

As for 2-1, the Mind Flayer enemies can one shot kill you with a stun attack & grab move .
Lure them close to you while you hide in a cell or around a corner (never take them on in their direct line of sight). When they get close to you, swing away till they are dead. They have a long charge up time & you can easily kill them before they finish.
There are only 1 or 2 for ever floor. The rest of the enemies are weaponless slow moving zombies (& one tough stationary enemy, which you'll need a ranged weapon/magic to kill).

Sarcasm said:
ah okay!

I just need to find something more than this wizard rope I started out with as a Royal lol.

Armor & physical defense sucks in this game. I'm wearing the best armor in the game & have my physical defense at over 260 with over 1200 in hp & the regular easy enemies are still taking nearly 1/4th of my health with one single attack swipe!

TUSR

Banned
The most important thing for shields is the Damage Reduction %, a 100 means you will block any damage 100% when attacked. Anything lower & damage will be transferred to you even if you block an attack.

The second important thing is the Guard Break Reduction %. The higher it is, the less of the stamina bar you lose when you get hit with the shield up.
So a low % means a single hit when you're blocking can drain nearly all your stamnia & leave you open to attack, while a high % means you can keep blocking consecutive attacks repeatedly.
The highest break reduction % shields have is maxed at 70 I think.

The attack power stat for Shields is for when you shield bash an enemy,. It's completely worthless stat to take into consideration.

As for 2-1, the Mind Flayer enemies can one shot kill you with a stun attack & grab move .
Lure them close to you while you hide in a cell or around a corner (never take them on in their direct line of sight). When they get close to you, swing away till they are dead. They have a long charge up time & you can easily kill them before they finish.
There are only 1 or 2 for ever floor. The rest of the enemies are weaponless slow moving zombies (& one tough stationary enemy, which you'll need a ranged weapon/magic to kill).

Armor & physical defense sucks in this game. I'm wearing the best armor in the game & have my physical defense at over 260 with over 1200 in hp & the regular easy enemies are still taking nearly 1/4th of my health with one single attack swipe!
Take your armor off and stop getting hit with some sick rollsssss

To be honest, I'm wearing the armor strictly cosmetic purposes. The heavy armors look cool as shit (I can also quick roll with them on).

Yeah one of the things I like so much about this game is that at the end of the day the armor really doesn't even matter, eventually it's all about vitality so really you can wear whatever the hell you want.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sarcasm said:

Just keep your distance and wait until they throw a fireball at you. Don't roll, just dodge the arrow by sidestepping a bit and then shoot Soul Arrow once at the guy. Wait until he throws another fireball and rinse and repeat. Always keep your shield up. If he starts laughing, do nothing and just wait until the fireballs. It takes a little time but there's only 3 of them in 2-1 and it's easy and safe.

I just got to the spider in 2-1 doing just that, and it's my first playthrough, so you don't need mad skillz for it. I'm barely level 6 and wearing the initial royal equipment + cling ring and a +3 winged spear.

shiroryu

Number45 said:

For the fire dudes in 2-1, I'm just locking on at a distance and rolling out of the way of incoming attacks. For those where that's not feasible (there's a guy towards the end of the level where you're ushered towards him at least part of the way in a straight line) I've baited an attack and then rolled up/around him to hit him in the face with my Crescent Falchion +1.

As someone equally as green at this game as you are (and playing glass cannon) I have to say 2-1 is so much easier to get through than I found 3-1 or 4-1 when I first tried them.

You can just sidestep laughing boy's attacks once you lock on. Easily dodgeable. Real challenge is timing your attacks in between his. Playing as a Royal, I got killed a few times because of the pause the magic animation makes you take.

A good tactic is to keep strafing while pressing R1. Your character will not freeze until the actual cast, so you can keep moving until the cast, and then roll out if laughing boy gets off an attack in the meantime. If you have barriers to hide against, as in the first two of these, it becomes criminally easy.

TUSR

Banned
To be honest, I'm wearing the armor strictly for cosmetic purposes. The heavy armors look cool as shit (I can also quick roll with them on).
Ring of Great Strength (i think) and a shit ton of STR?

oracrest

Sarcasm said:

Try and find the ring of Giant Strength (in level 1.) It will increase your max equip burden, and spare you having to level endurance as much.

edit, lol, like he said /\ /\ /\

zkylon

zkylewd
Is it worth it to get Water Veil to block the spider's fire spells? Haven't bought any new magic spells because i heard you can only get so many, but it sure seems useful...

Leunam

You can only equip so many. It's useful on all three bosses for Stonefang Tunnel, but it's entirely possible to go without them.

Number45

I was only planning to visit the crow on 4-1 as I had limited time, but I actually managed to get through it with minimal fuss. You have to be super careful because of the lurking blue eyed skellingtons, but other than that it's not too bad. Boss was very easy as well.

Spooky 3-1 it is for me tonight for sure then.

I also found the Adjudicator's Shield. I think I need to get my strength up, because I can't equip anything without penalties. Anyone have suggestions for good minimum strength to aim for?

Grinchy

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Woohoo! Finally got my Platinum last night.

Then I got raped by the first few enemies in Dark Souls. Hoo boy...
lol! me too...

Getting the plat in this game is almost like Dark Souls 101 (if you don't get the drake sword, I guess)

Massa

So the
1-4 boss
was designed so you couldn't beat him with melee right? Too bad I don't feel like leveling up a ranged attack (at 35k souls per level) right now, else I'd probably finish this game.

Blargh.

Massa said:
So the
1-4 boss
was designed so you couldn't beat him with melee right? Too bad I don't feel like leveling up a ranged attack (at 35k souls per level) right now, else I'd probably finish this game.

Blargh.

I beat every boss in world 1 with melee. Get warding if you don't have it already, and keep that running through the fight.

Massa

I haven't been using magic at all. Magic is at 9, Faith 10 and Intelligence 9. Game's been a breeze so far, but I can't take more than 25% of this guy's health without him getting close and completely annihilating me.

Do I need a lot of upgrades to make the warding worth it?

Try buying Homing Soul Arrows & Second Chance. They are broken powerful regardless of your magic & faith stats.

It's basically easy mode with everything when you have those two. You need to have not used some specific boss demon souls to buy them though.

Massa

I only have one spell slot so I tried out the regular soul arrows and indeed they seem very powerful. I might as well try killing flying dragon now before the boss, I've just been running away like a coward.

I'm going to farm a bit more to get the two magic slots needed for Warding and Homing Soul Arrow each and then I'll try both of your suggestions, thanks!

Ourobolus

Banned
Massa said:
I only have one spell slot so I tried out the regular soul arrows and indeed they seem very powerful. I might as well try killing flying dragon now before the boss, I've just been running away like a coward.

I'm going to farm a bit more to get the two magic slots needed for Warding and Homing Soul Arrow each and then I'll try both of your suggestions, thanks!
I used melee for pretty much the entire game, but it wasn't until maybe the last 3 bosses or so that I really started to use Warding. That spell then carried me through the next few NG+x games. Such a useful spell. Other than Evacuate and Soulsucker, I hardly used any other spells.

Sarcasm

Okay. I went and found a long compound bow (than farmed souls to lvl up STR to 15 from 11). I have upgraded to +3. Killed the red dragon and than killed the black tall knight dude. Than dumped the points into VIT.

I went on to 3-1. I opened the shortcut and saw some good upgrades, like sticky compound.
I found this note later that said run on through. I totally forgot to hit the run button and fell through the wood planks, will that respawn after a dungeon refresh?

Also I want to get Heal and some other stuff like mentioned earlier..so I need to find talis for miracles and rods for magic?

Ourobolus

Banned
Sarcasm said:
Okay. I went and found a long compound bow (than farmed souls to lvl up STR to 15 from 11). I have upgraded to +3. Killed the red dragon and than killed the black tall knight dude. Than dumped the points into VIT.

I went on to 3-1. I opened the shortcut and saw some good upgrades, like sticky compound.
I found this note later that said run on through. I totally forgot to hit the run button and fell through the wood planks, will that respawn after a dungeon refresh?

Also I want to get Heal and some other stuff like mentioned earlier..so I need to find talis for miracles and rods for magic?
Are you sure you don't mean 2-1? That's the only area I can think of with the falling wooden planks, and Spiderstone only drops in Stonefang Tunnel, IIRC. It should respawn though.

Yes, you need a Talisman of God for Miracles (there's one in 4-1 and 5-1, I believe), and a Wooden/Silver Catalyst for Magic...which I'm drawing a blank as to where they are. I think there's one in 3-1.

Sarcasm

Yes 2-1 hahaha!

Okay I have both those gods...and I currently have Soul Arrow Silver Rod. I think I have a wooden one somewhere too.

shiroryu

Ourobolus said:
Are you sure you don't mean 2-1? That's the only area I can think of with the falling wooden planks, and Spiderstone only drops in Stonefang Tunnel, IIRC. It should respawn though.

Yes, you need a Talisman of God for Miracles (there's one in 4-1 and 5-1, I believe), and a Wooden/Silver Catalyst for Magic...which I'm drawing a blank as to where they are. I think there's one in 3-1.
Wooden Catalyst can be found in the first watch tower in 1-2, IIRC.

Sarcasm said:
Yes 2-1 hahaha!

Okay I have both those gods...and I currently have Soul Arrow Silver Rod. I think I have a wooden one somewhere too.

Be sure to bring the Purple Flame Shield to 2-2, and the Ring of Fire Resistance...you'll thank me later. :p

Top Bottom