• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Biggzy

Number45 said:
Just looked at that shield, seems mahoosive so I'm not sure it's going to be a worthwhile investment in terms of mobility for what's essentially going to be a magic heavy build.

Mind you, with the Falchion (boosted by Int/Mag right?) I suppose I can have my cake and eat it?

Yeah, move one pane to the right and you'll see the ring slots towards the bottom right of the equip screen.

It is a big shield, but a pretty sweet one since it offers great fire protection.

Number45

shiroryu said:
Eh, right now the servers are in PWWT till the 17th, so if you connect and reconnect a few times you'll get Boletaria to PWWT. Check your tendency screen, and you'll see the Boletaria archstone all white with a slight glow in the middle.

Guess who go missing in 1-1 when Boletaria is in PWWT. It's an all-you-carry buffet.
Not in the UK. :'(

Biggzy said:
It is a big shield, but a pretty sweet one since it offers great fire protection.
I might give it a try.

shiroryu

Number45 said:
Not in the UK. :'(

I might give it a try.
Oh, that sucks. I thought since they were celebrating DS' 2nd birthday, they'd do it across all territories. Funnily, I live in PAL territory yet because I bought DS on my last trip to the States, I'm on the US servers.

In any case, what's the world tendency for Boletaria right now? Depending on what the world tendency is, you could try bumping it up to PWWT-1, just short of white.

thefil

I need some advice for 5-2. Never before in this game have I felt so unfairly obliterated, with the whole level stacked against me. How do I get past the giant depraved ones?

In general, I have the following problems:
1) Can't move in the goop, so can't dodge attacks
2) Visibility is zero in this level.
3) On land, trying to dodge has a 70%ish chance of causing my guy to just stand still and look queasy, resulting in another hit

I literally have zero idea how to not get hit by them. I have tried ranged combat, fighting on solid land, blocking, dodging and retaliating. Nothing works. Getting stupidly frustrated.

Leunam

thefil said:
3) On land, trying to dodge has a 70%ish chance of causing my guy to just stand still and look queasy, resulting in another hit

It sounds like you're overburdened and can't roll at all. You need to lighten how much you're carrying and have equipped.

Biggzy

By the way I want to say that I brought this game on Friday and I have logged about 11 hours into the game now. The game does a poor job at explaining the mechanics and I was getting my ass handed to me for the first two levels.

I soldiered on however and I have to say the I am glad I did since the game gives you a unique sense of accomplishment and I am close to being addicted to the game now.

kvn

thefil said:
I need some advice for 5-2. Never before in this game have I felt so unfairly obliterated, with the whole level stacked against me. How do I get past the giant depraved ones?

In general, I have the following problems:
1) Can't move in the goop, so can't dodge attacks
2) Visibility is zero in this level.

I literally have zero idea how to not get hit by them. I have tried ranged combat, fighting on solid land, blocking, dodging and retaliating. Nothing works. Getting stupidly frustrated.

I have done that level today, I can feel your pain :)

1) You can still sort of 'run' by holding down O. Wearing the thief ring helped a lot, so that you can sneak behind the giant depraved ones. In any case try to hop from isle to isle. It's like a straight path in the first part, if you just want to move forward, and you can sneak behind the first giant. Just go through the soup to the left and sneak up from behind wearing the thief's ring.
2) Increase the brightness in the options ;)
3) Check your equip burden and make sure you are not too close to the soup.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Are the online servers dead in this? Thinking of revisiting after I finish dark souls. Never played very far at launch and now I am motivated having put dozens of hours into the sequel.

Just worried that the online component is dead.

Number45

I definitely feel like 2-1 is the best level to try as a beginner after getting through 1-1. There seems (to this point anyway, just unlocked the shortcut to the blacksmith) much fewer times when I've felt in mortal peril after a single hit (aside from the flamethrowing dudes, they can be tricky if you're not careful).

Brandon F said:
Are the online servers dead in this? Thinking of revisiting after I finish dark souls. Never played very far at launch and now I am motivated having put dozens of hours into the sequel.

I can't walk a few steps without seeing someone else's ghost and the messages/bloodstains are plentiful. Haven't done any co-op/PvP yet so I can't comment on those.

kvn

Brandon F said:

Finished it tonight (yes, finally!) and there were plenty of ghosts, bloodstains and messages (EU).

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just beat it! Yay! now to unwrap my copy of Dark Souls that I've had since Thursday lol.

@Maxrpg, yea 5-2 can suck a big one. Luckily the boss is pretty easy.

Also False king is easy peasy. I had a much harder time fighting and evading the dragon. I hate that stupid dragon and am glad I killed it.

Oh I had a scary moment. I got completely trapped on the scenery in 2-2, in the narrow tunnels. I must have glitched partially into the walls. Nothing would free me and I hadn't learned evacuate yet. I didn't even know if saving and reloading would work. Fortunately I had 1 Shard of Archstone. First thing I did one warping back was to buy and equip evacuate.

Ashodin

Die Squirrel Die said:
Oh I had a scary moment. I got completely trapped on the scenery in 2-2, in the narrow tunnels. I must have glitched partially into the walls. Nothing would free me and I hadn't learned evacuate yet. I didn't even know if saving and reloading would work. Fortunately I had 1 Shard of Archstone. First thing I did one warping back was to buy and equip evacuate.
Reloading should work. Even quitting would work better, I think.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Grinchy said:
haha I hated it at first but it became my favorite level in the game.

That level was one of the two reasons I quit the game my first time through (the other was accidentally aggro-ing and then having to kill the only blacksmith that can do special upgrades - most annoying design decision ever. I don't mind if NPCs get mad at me for hitting them - I do mind if they stay mad and try to kill me for the rest of the game).

But re 5-2: I hated the loss of mobility, the lack of visibility and just the sheer grossness of the level. That level actually made the game less appealing to me as a whole. I don't mind darkness and I don't mind the sense of isolation in Demon's Souls - those elements are actually why I like the game so much. But 5-2 goes way beyond simple isolation and darkness into something that's actively unpleasant to play.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm very late, considering Dark Souls is already out, but i'm giving it a shot. Just made it past 1-1 and i'm gonna venture the other X-1 worlds randomly until i find one that i feel i can beat. What i'm wondering is what do i have to do, tendency related and otherwise, to get most (if not all) content in one playthrough?

gdt

zkylon said:
I'm very late, considering Dark Souls is already out, but i'm giving it a shot. Just made it past 1-1 and i'm gonna venture the other X-1 worlds randomly until i find one that i feel i can beat. What i'm wondering is what do i have to do, tendency related and otherwise, to get most (if not all) content in one playthrough?

Tendency is so fucking complicated don't even worry about it. Go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc etc. Be able to roll, that's essential. Get Soul Arrow from that guy in 3-1.

BE PATIENT. TAKE IT SLOW.

Akainu

archnemesis said:
They're sensitive to magic damage.
I tried that but it actually did less damage compared to a normal weapon combo. Maybe it was the spell but I only have the first fire one and soul arrow. Unless you mean something like sticky white stuff (who thought that was a good name?)?

zkylon

zkylewd
gdt5016 said:
Tendency is so fucking complicated don't even worry about it. Go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc etc. Be able to roll, that's essential. Get Soul Arrow from that guy in 3-1.

BE PATIENT. TAKE IT SLOW.
Yeah, i started as a knight because i love how that armor looks but ended up going back and creating a royalty character so i could do faster rolls and have that Soul Arrow spell. So far the spell has been crazy helpful in giving me a slight preemptive edge.

Akainu said:
I tried that but it actually did less damage compared to a normal weapon combo. Maybe it was the spell but I only have the first fire one and soul arrow. Unless you mean something like sticky white stuff (who thought that was a good name?)?
Sticky white stuff could work but I usually use a weapon that deals magic damage, like the
Crescent Falchion +1
which can be found in
the first half of 4-1

Shai-Tan

Banned
zkylon said:
Yeah, i started as a knight because i love how that armor looks but ended up going back and creating a royalty character so i could do faster rolls and have that Soul Arrow spell. So far the spell has been crazy helpful in giving me a slight preemptive edge.

fast roll isn`t actually that important for Temple Knight. if endurance is high enough it will block most or all damage before the massive damage reduction from heavy armour

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'm getting owned in 1-1.

Maybe I'm just too impatient, but after 5 tries I got to the part where you can see the dragon in the background and a crapload of undead waiting in a row. Like a fool I rushed in and died.

The combat feels weird to me and I'm watching a walkthrough of 1-1 on youtube and I think I completely overlooked the lock-on, at least that's what it looks like. Will try again.

shiroryu

suffah said:

Maybe I'm just too impatient, but after 5 tries I got to the part where you can see the dragon in the background and a crapload of undead waiting in a row. Like a fool I rushed in and died.

The combat feels weird to me and I'm watching a walkthrough of 1-1 on youtube and I think I completely overlooked the lock-on, at least that's what it looks like. Will try again.

Practice your combat on the dreglings at the start of 1-1 every time you respawn, they'll give you a clear idea of what you can and can't do in terms of rolling, blocking, riposting, backstabbing etc. DS isn't a game where you can keep blocking or rolling forever, and attacks take time to come out.

At the point you mentioned, there's a trick you can use to take out all the dreglings in a row. Look around. Just be careful you don't get caught yourself.

suffah said:

You will die again and again and again and again. This isn't a click save and reload if you die game. It's teaching you to respect the game design. So observe your surrounds and be cautious.

5 tries?! Oh youngster, you have much distance to travel! When in doubt - don't run, walk. With your sheild up!

Ashodin

Almost at the end of my run through - I've made it most of the entire game without using magic (only near the end have I started using Warding).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm loving Dark Souls. I have Demon's Souls, I tried it a while ago but never got into it after doing 1-1. I expect I'll adore this?

Apdiddy

I'm stuck.

I'm playing as Knight, beaten 1-1 and decided to try 1-2. I get my levels up to Soul Level 19 and buy up a bunch of bolts...and still can't beat the Tower Knight. I got the Thief's Ring and tried to fight Miseralda (ha!) and the Red Eyed Knight (double ha!)

I know I could try 2-1 again...but I feel I'm not getting anywhere.

Apdiddy said:
I'm stuck.

I'm playing as Knight, beaten 1-1 and decided to try 1-2. I get my levels up to Soul Level 19 and buy up a bunch of bolts...and still can't beat the Tower Knight. I got the Thief's Ring and tried to fight Miseralda (ha!) and the Red Eyed Knight (double ha!)

Bow and arrows for cheap kills of 1-2 and 2-1 bosses.

Ourobolus

Banned
Apdiddy said:
I'm stuck.

Go to 3-1, 4-1, or 5-1. Don't burn yourself out over one level. 4-1 is a good choice since you get a ton of souls there and can also pick up the Crescent Falchion. The enemies are tough, but once you get their patterns down aren't terrible.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Go to 3-1, 4-1, or 5-1. Don't burn yourself out over one level. 4-1 is a good choice since you get a ton of souls there and can also pick up the Crescent Falchion. The enemies are tough, but once you get their patterns down aren't terrible.

yep, Tower Knight is strangely one of the hardest bosses to kill without using cheese, especially for a low SL Temple Knight

Rez said:
So I'm loving Dark Souls. I have Demon's Souls, I tried it a while ago but never got into it after doing 1-1. I expect I'll adore this?

They are very similar games. Demon`s Souls has superior multiplayer because it`s not p2p, the story, voice acting, atmosphere are also better imo -- however the enemies in Demon`s Souls have more predictable and limited attack patterns; there are more enemy types, more moves, drastically better AI from enemies in Dark Souls

Facism

if theres one thing that i'm missing in dark souls that i loved in Demon's, it's the ghost of other players getting along within their own games. I see maybe 4 in a night when playing Dark souls :<

Joei

Shai-Tan said:
yep, Tower Knight is strangely one of the hardest bosses to kill without using cheese, especially for a low SL Temple Knight

Really? What do you mean? I never thought the fight was difficult and never thought I did anything "tricky" or something that you weren't supposed to do. In fact, I have no idea how someone could "cheese" or use tricks on that fight lol

I'd say False King or Maneater are the tough without using tricks.

MMaRsu

Facism said:
if theres one thing that i'm missing in dark souls that i loved in Demon's, it's the ghost of other players getting along within their own games. I see maybe 4 in a night when playing Dark souls :<
Thats weird.i seehem all the time in ds.

Torraz

Hey guys,

I'm also in the camp of "bought Demon's souls but did not do much with it".

I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and a bit of 4-1...

I wanted to restart now since that other character had bad skill points and I now know a lot more.

I was thinking of a royal with a focus on INT / END with enough str+dex for equip and later maybe a little faith for miracles? The INT boots magically enhanced weapons, like the crescent falchion from 4-1, right? And END would always be great?

- - -

A seperate problem! Another reason for wanting to go into demons souls again was that I read that there was permanent White Tendency at the moment. However the gate after first 1-2 enemies in 1-1 is not openable or open. I tried saving/quitting/reloading in several places in the world or the nexus and nothing is working.

Thanks a lot!

Leunam

Off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing some:

1-1:
Explore the execution grounds to the left of the entrance archstone
1-1:
Grab all the items from the Dragons nest
2-2:
Talk to Scirvir the Wanderer
2-3:
Obtain the Dragon Bone Smasher
3-2:
Cross the previously inaccessible gap where the chains holding the heart are
4-1:
Obtain the Makoto for Satsuki
5-2:
Talk to Selen Vinland

Actually, I'm positive I'm missing some.

Leunam said:
Off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing some:

1-1:
Explore the execution grounds to the left of the entrance archstone
1-1:
Grab all the items from the Dragons nest
2-2:
Talk to Scirvir the Wanderer
2-3:
Obtain the Dragon Bone Smasher
3-2:
Cross the previously inaccessible gap where the chains holding the heart are
4-1:
Obtain the Makoto for Satsuki
5-2:
Talk to Selen Vinland

Actually, I'm positive I'm missing some.
3-2:
Can reach the top off the first chain tower (the one before you meet Yurt) and get the 2F prison cell key
3-1:
Can free Rydell from his cell to get the Dull rat's ring. The 2F floor will be fully explorable
5-3:
Fight BP Garl Vinland to get the Bramd and Crest of Vinland for Selen
5-1:
Ladder is down in area where you fight the first giant depraved one. You can go and get Istraelle but it's guarded by 4 giants along the way.
4-2:
Can get the Makoto from where you rescued Urbain

I'm sure you stealth edited that 3-2 one.

Number45

Am I the only one that sees other white phantoms approach enemies ahead and sits back expecting them to take them out for you? I'm sure it'll pass soon enough, but I can't help but be disappointed when it happens. :'(

Also, I love it when you get souls without killing anything. It's nice knowing that somewhere, something has been removed from your path.

_dementia said:
Looking forward to the white tendency event later this month.
That's already on in the US, unless you mean the black tendency event?

Torraz said:
Hey guys,

I'm also in the camp of "bought Demon's souls but did not do much with it".

I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and a bit of 4-1...

I wanted to restart now since that other character had bad skill points and I now know a lot more.

I was thinking of a royal with a focus on INT / END with enough str+dex for equip and later maybe a little faith for miracles? The INT boots magically enhanced weapons, like the crescent falchion from 4-1, right? And END would always be great?

- - -

A seperate problem! Another reason for wanting to go into demons souls again was that I read that there was permanent White Tendency at the moment. However the gate after first 1-2 enemies in 1-1 is not openable or open. I tried saving/quitting/reloading in several places in the world or the nexus and nothing is working.

Thanks a lot!
Do you have the Atlus version? That's the only one with a white tendency event right now.

Magic is the stat that adds damage to crescent/moon weapons not intelligence. Intelligence is for your MP and number of spell memory slots and you should only really have it at the amount you need for whatever spells you need to remember or use. Endurance is always useful but don't forget about vitality.

Top Bottom