• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
i'm the type of guy who has always jumped into games without reading the manual first, and it feels like i'm being punished hardcore for it this time.
Trust me when I say not reading the manual isn't what's hurting you. The game and manual do a terrible job explaining the basic game mechanics to a new player and at times it feels like they intentionally withheld or hid vital information. My advice is to read a wiki if you want to continue.

Drewfonse

Defuser said:
No need in fear to say it, Bosses are more fun,epic and have interesting concepts, PvP isn't in a broken mess or imbalanced. Stat scaling with weapon isn't broken either and some areas have better atmosphere.

I actually prefer the fact that the levels are distinct and finite.

conman

AniHawk said:
i would love to explore the game by myself, but i feel like i'm being actively discouraged by doing so by the game's 1980s video game philosophy. i know people who love dungeons and dragons and pore over manuals regarding stats and weapons. they'd probably love this game too (actually, i'm sure one does).

oh well. i'll give it one more solid go tomorrow, but i think this is going to be one of those things that just never clicks with me, which is too bad.
I am/was/(will be?) in your shoes.

I've started and quit and restarted this game a handful of times (beating as many as 5 or 6 stages on one of my runs). I finally shelved it six months ago.

Fast forward to Dark Souls' launch, and I'm now committed to giving Demon's Souls yet another crack. Only this time, I refuse to do certain things that have ruined the game for me in the past: I refuse to get hung up on stats, I refuse to grind for souls, I refuse to use the wiki, and I refuse to listen to others' advice about the "right" way to play.

In short: I just want to play the game and have fun.

J2d

Typographenia said:
I know this is probably a biased group of people to ask, but is the soundtrack worth the extra money when buying the game?
No it is really forgettable, save your money.

zkylon

zkylewd
Kyleripman said:
Firestorm is your friend with these guys.
Took me like seven more tries but i beat them using warding + melee and no shield. Most my deaths were consequence of getting stuck between columns or rolling like an idiot into the abyss.

4-2's giving me a lot of trouble too. The flying manta rays just keep shooting at me and i don't know if i suck at aiming but i can't seem to ever hit them with my arrows (and they're out of magic range).

Ah this game...

irriadin

zkylon said:
4-2's giving me a lot of trouble too. The flying manta rays just keep shooting at me and i don't know if i suck at aiming but i can't seem to ever hit them with my arrows (and they're out of magic range).

Ah this game...

If you have the Thief's Ring, equip it and they won't bother you. Cloak should work as well.

So I'm just getting back into this game after a 5 month hiatus and I still can't beat these freaking Maneaters in 3-2. I'm patient with my attacks but they eventually form some type of cross-up since you can't keep track of both at once. I'm a lvl. 39 wanderer.

Bruiserk

Alright, I've had this in my backlog for a long time but I'd like to move forward with it. I have no clue how to coop it. Anybody interested in giving me a break down of how to do it?

Also, is anyone wanting someone to play with? I'd like a buddy. I dont know how far I am into the game. Last boss I beat is the second one int he shrine of storms.

zkylon

zkylewd
AwakenedCloud said:
So I'm just getting back into this game after a 5 month hiatus and I still can't beat these freaking Maneaters in 3-2. I'm patient with my attacks but they eventually form some type of cross-up since you can't keep track of both at once. I'm a lvl. 39 wanderer.
Try going all the way to the end of the bridge to where's the cauldron fiery thingie. That can shield you somewhat from the Maneaters ganging up on you and give you some space to roll.

zkylon said:
Try going all the way to the end of the bridge to where's the cauldron fiery thingie. That can shield you somewhat from the Maneaters ganging up on you and give you some space to roll.
I've been doing that, but my attacks do next to nothing to them, I think I need stronger equipment. I decided to start up world 4 instead.

AwakenedCloud said:
I've been doing that, but my attacks do next to nothing to them, I think I need stronger equipment. I decided to start up world 4 instead.
What weapon are you using? And I would recommend beating the first level of all the worlds before going further into any of them.
Also, the Maneaters are weak to fire so if you fully upgrade the Dragon longsword you get in 2-2 the fight should be much easier.

zkylon

zkylewd
AwakenedCloud said:
Try to upgrade your weapons to +3 and use a sword that attacks in an arc so you can hit both their tails and their bodies (i think if you cut the tail they lose their magic or something like that).

Speaking of upgrading, i've been taking everything i use up to +3 but haven't moved pass that to avoid screwing myself up by wasting stones on useless upgrade trees. Is it worthless to keep upgrading weapons to +4, +5, +6, etc. instead of using one of the "special" upgrades?

electroshockwave said:
What weapon are you using? And I would recommend beating the first level of all the worlds before going further into any of them.
Also, the Maneaters are weak to fire so if you fully upgrade the Dragon longsword you get in 2-2 the fight should be much easier.
I've been using the Dragon longsword + 1. I need more shards to upgrade it. I'll go ahead and try 4-1 and come back to the maneaters later.

oracrest

irriadin said:
I'm getting demolished on 4-2. I only made it to the boss one time out of like, 15 tries. Everytime I die, it's to the black phantoms on the passage between the two caves. Sometimes I can kill or make it past the two skeletons with the huge weapons, and then the dual katana skeleton one shots me. The only times I've managed to get past is when I snuck up behind them and backstabbed them off a cliff, but this is very difficult to do. Is there some easier way of dealing with them?

Soul level is in the 80's, I'm using a Purple Flame Shield +9 and a Moon Winged Spear +4.

If you are getting desperate, try a new approach, such as luring him back to an area where you may knock him off a cliff easily, or simply slip past him.

I feel for anyone trying to get past that guy during the PBWT event. He is hard...

irriadin

oracrest said:
If you are getting desperate, try a new approach, such as luring him back to an area where you may knock him off a cliff easily, or simply slip past him.

I feel for anyone trying to get past that guy during the PBWT event. He is hard...

I probably died a collective 50+ times, but I finally beat 4-2 (and 4-3) last night. I basically spammed soul remains, kept my purple flame shield up at all times, and went VERY slowly and cautiously. I managed to backstab a few of the phantoms off the cliff, and that helped quite a bit.

Funny enough, the Old Hero was a piece of cake. It was just getting to him that was so hard.

greyshark

irriadin said:
I probably died a collective 50+ times, but I finally beat 4-2 (and 4-3) last night. I basically spammed soul remains, kept my purple flame shield up at all times, and went VERY slowly and cautiously. I managed to backstab a few of the phantoms off the cliff, and that helped quite a bit.

Funny enough, the Old Hero was a piece of cake. It was just getting to him that was so hard.

I think it would have been cruel to put a difficult boss fight at the end of 4-2 considering how long that level is ;).

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks to the people that suggested using the thief ring to get past the Manta Rays in 4-2. Worked great.

I finally beat 4-2 and 5-2 and i'm off to the X-3s. The X-2s were kinda disappointing compared to the X-1s, though. Most of them were shorter and more linear and the bosses' difficulties are all over the place. So far my favorite worlds are 1-1, 2-2, 3-1 and 5-1. Mostly because of how labyrinthic they are.

With all the talk about Dark Souls lately, I've been thinking about going back and finishing Demon's Souls. When I left off, I was at the poison swamp place. Any tips for that area?

zkylon

zkylewd
ArachosiA 78 said:
With all the talk about Dark Souls lately, I've been thinking about going back and finishing Demon's Souls. When I left off, I was at the poison swamp place. Any tips for that area?
Having high poison resistance makes a world of a difference. I think i had over 150 and i seldom got poisoned. Get the ring that raises poison resistance and some good poison resistant armor like Gloom or Black Leather. It saves the annoyance of having to eat Warrior's Lotus every couple of minutes.

Would give more accurate hints but it'd be kind of spoiling the point of the game.

zkylon said:
Having high poison resistance makes a world of a difference. I think i had over 150 and i seldom got poisoned. Get the ring that raises poison resistance and some good poison resistant armor like Gloom or Black Leather. It saves the annoyance of having to eat Warrior's Lotus every couple of minutes.

Would give more accurate hints but it'd be kind of spoiling the point of the game.

Thanks...can't wait to get home from work and start playing this again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I dislike games that, at first glance, appear like it will allow you full freedom for your character but then proceeded to punish you severely if you are not following the 'right way' of making your characters.

The necessity to read numerous amounts of FAQs/Wiki 'to avoid making mistakes' always discourage me from playing Demon's Souls.....

vid

So, apparently I chose the worst possible time to dive into Demon's Souls... I feel like the black world tendency is causing a lot of my grief right now. Having just made a brand new character (Royalty), it's easy enough to get through 1-1 and then level up a bit, but after that... I feel like I'm doomed to failure no matter where I go.

At the behest of a friend, I headed for 4-1 to grab the Falchion, and was immediately greeted by a black phantom, who I just spent about two hours grappling with, only to get it near death and have it heal itself back to full. Clearly I'm going about this the wrong way.

Can anyone offer some advice for a new player to deal with the current world tendency? I know that I could just continue the game offline, but I sort of feel like that'd be cheating the game a bit...

Number45

Finished up 1-2 and 2-2 last night (screw Flamelurker). I feel like I should be doing more with my equipment - I currently have a Crescent Falchion +2, Kite Shield +3 and the Silver Catalyst. I'm wearing the Assassin's Mask and the Black Leather.

Anything else I should be seeking out? I'm working on getting my strength up to 22 (need nearly 40k souls though, I'd have been close to that last night if not for Flamelurker) so that I can equip the long bow and then go for the Purple Flame Shield.

Finished all PBWT and PWWT events on my characters. It's been a while since I done NPC BP's. Satsuki can be cheap and don't underestimate Miralda. Rydell, Selen, and Garl are pushovers. I totally missed Yurt. Rectified that and got his armor. 3 backstabs did the job. Oh forgot Scirvir too. Don't eat his fireballs. 700+ damage on a ng. Pretty much a one shot on anyone with low vit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
i would love to explore the game by myself, but i feel like i'm being actively discouraged by doing so by the game's 1980s video game philosophy. i know people who love dungeons and dragons and pore over manuals regarding stats and weapons. they'd probably love this game too (actually, i'm sure one does).

oh well. i'll give it one more solid go tomorrow, but i think this is going to be one of those things that just never clicks with me, which is too bad.
For what it's worth, I am not even a little bit like the sort of person you described there and Dark Souls (as in the other one) is probably going to end up being, if not number one (I haven't decided), then certainly in my top two or three.

It isn't so much about 1980 game design tropes, masochism, stat-crunching or anything like that. It's just about being the master of a space around you. There are few moments as empowering in video games than the first time I realised how much better I'd become, over the space of about an hour or two, in Dark Souls. And the amazing thing about the game is that you keep. feeling. better every time you overcome a new obstacle. It never gets old.

I know it's hard to see the forest for the trees when you start. I haven't played Demon's Souls for more than an hour despite importing it WAY back, but I'm sure as hell going to give it another go once I finish up Dark Souls in the near future.

EasyMode

vid said:
Can anyone offer some advice for a new player to deal with the current world tendency? I know that I could just continue the game offline, but I sort of feel like that'd be cheating the game a bit...
Well since the game saves your world tendency, you would have to start a new game offline to avoid the server tendency. It wouldn't be cheating at all since the game wasn't meant to be played at pure black from the get go with black phantoms all over the place.

I managed to be the Maneater earlier this morning. Leveling up the long sword to +4 did wonders on my damage output.

Unfortunately, I messed up in 4-1. I wasn't aware touching an item while overburdened would make it disappear for good and now I am without a Crescent Falchion... why would they even do that?!

Number45

AwakenedCloud said:
I managed to be the Maneater earlier this morning. Leveling up the long sword to +4 did wonders on my damage output.

Unfortunately, I messed up in 4-1. I wasn't aware touching an item while overburdened would make it disappear for good and now I am without a Crescent Falchion... why would they even do that?!
Hmm, items I touched while overburdened didn't disappear last night (2-2). I just juggled my inventory to pick up the bits that I want. Protip: Shards soon mount up - I had around 60/100 of my burden as shards! D:

Also you can just find a normal Falchion and upgrade it, right?

Struct09

Number45 said:
Hmm, items I touched while overburdened didn't disappear last night (2-2). I just juggled my inventory to pick up the bits that I want. Protip: Shards soon mount up - I had around 60/100 of my burden as shards! D:

If you're over burdened and try to pick an item up, that item is brought into the world. If you return to the nexus to unload, and then go back to get that item again it's gone for good.

Number45

Struct09 said:
If you're over burdened and try to pick an item up, that item is brought into the world. If you return to the nexus to unload, and then go back to get that item again it's gone for good.
Yeah, I meant I just cleared out my inventory of item duplicates etc (I'm never quite sure why I don't immediately drop these).

zkylon

zkylewd
Number45 said:

I guess he meant they disappear after he warps out of the level/dies, like normal drops do.

By the way, upgrading a normal Falchion to deal magical damage takes a lot of crafting stones :/

Leunam

Number45 said:
Protip: Shards soon mount up - I had around 60/100 of my burden as shards! D:

They sure do. There is never any reason to have them on you. Grab them, give them to Stockpile Thomas, and never take them out again since your blacksmith of choice can just pull them out of your stockpile automatically.

Number45 said:

I meant when you warped out they disappear. I guess my complaint is it weird how once you touch them they become loot rather than being a permanent item in the map. Looking back, I could've easily picked the stuff up with the ring of herculean strength, but it's still frustrating, especially since it doesn't tell you what it is unless you get it in your inventory.

Edit: Also, why can't I return to the Nexus? I'm in 4-1 right now and it says 'can't quit during multiplayer' or something along those lines. I tried quitting the game thinking it'd exit from the multiplayer session that it thinks I'm in, but the message still popped up.

irriadin

5-2 gave me a helluva time last night, especially since it's PBWT. Those BP trolls are nuts! Instead of fighting them, I ran through the first fog gate with all of them chasing me. Unfortunately, I wasn't watching where I was going and I fell off the platform right on top of Black Phantom Selen Vinland. She chased me half-way across the map >_>

dantehemi

this game is kicking my but. im playing as a royal and im having a good time, i beat 1-1, 2-1 tried 3-1 a few times but im having alot of trouble killing those tentacle guys at the begining. what order should i be doing the levels?

zkylon

zkylewd
dantehemi said:
this game is kicking my but. im playing as a royal and im having a good time, i beat 1-1, 2-1 tried 3-1 a few times but im having alot of trouble killing those tentacle guys at the begining. what order should i be doing the levels?
I did 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, etc. so far. Best thing i found against the Cthulhu monsters was sneaking and backstabbing them, or luring them into an ambush and just try to kill them with the least possible blows using my spear with both hands. If you have the thief ring it should make things easy. I think they are weak to fire but strong against magic, so bear that in mind for the weapons you choose against them. And in that regard, if you want to deal with them from afar, Flame Toss works a lot better than Soul Arrow.

I would suggest you also try out every level, getting as far as you can and grabbing all the equipment and items you find.

Om3ga

dantehemi said:
There's no real order. If you're stuck or having problems try something else. This game is brutal if you don't have the patience to learn enemy attack patterns. If I had to recommend a stage to beat. I'd say do 4-1. Although right now it would be pretty hard with PBWT event going on. The reason I say to go through 4-1 is because you get some really good equipment early on. Adjucator Shield, Regenerator Ring, Compound Long Bow, Uchigatana, Graverobbers Ring (i think), Magic Sword Makoto (Beginning of 4-2 PWWT needed). Not to mention (though I never used it) everyones favourite Crescent Falchon.

I'd recommend at LEAST going for the compound long bow. It's the best bow in the game and if you're a dex build then sticky compound bow is a better choice. Upgrade this bow as high as you can and as quick as you can once you get it. It makes 3-1 MUCH easier. You get it if you stick to the left side of 4-1 where there's a crystal lizard and a Skeleton archer sniping at you. Continue down that path to where that skeleton is standing, buts its pretty difficult to get there.

For people asking about stats and builds. I wouldn't recommend upgrading any stats unless you are SURE of your build. Just upgrade stats to equip weapons or reduce equipment burden. I beat most of the game with close to base stats. If you WANT to spend your souls on stat building, spend it on vitality and endurance as that builds up your defence and overall stats.

For those having problems with Maneater, try using warding to reduce his damage. Focus on only one of them and try to kill the one you did the most damage to initially. If it's STILL annoying, then just glitch him.

With regards to upgrading. Upgrade as you see fit. I wouldn't recommend upgrading a weapon unless you are planning on sticking with it for most of the game or until the end. Shards don't come easy and you don't really want to have to farm them if you don't need to.

If you want to do this "guide free" then just play as you like. As I said I beat most of the game with almost base stats. Don't be afraid to die. Play in soul form. You're stronger and harder to detect by enemies making backstabbing easier.

If you REALLY hate backtracking, you can use the, "quit game" exploit. Though you risk corrupting your game save. People with PSN+ can do this without consequence ;). Though I'd recommend you not Auto-backup that game save.

I guess that's it for my tips. If you need any more help you can try catching me in game, "ForeTwentyOne" or just PM me here.

Massa

Om3ga said:
There's no real order. If you're stuck or having problems try something else.

This can't be stressed enough.

Something obvious that I didn't realize at first: enjoy the game. If you played a level and loved it, play it again. You'll enjoy the combat, learn a few new secrets and level up.

Each level is unique, on my playthrough I found it was more relaxing and enjoyable to dose a good mix of exploring new areas with mastering some familiar ones.

After the longest gaming session in nearly a decade (~ 13 hours), I beat the game. My god was that empowering, after you kill one boss you just keep saying 'one more'.

I did 3-2,3-3,4-1,4-2,4-3,5-1,5-2,5-3, 1-3,1-4 in that order today alone. Black Tendency helped a ton IMO, I got to level like crazy in 4-1 and 4-3. I'm pretty sure I went from lvl. 45 to about 80. In 4-3 you can get 20,000 souls easily in 2-3 minutes.

After 3-2, I didn't have too much trouble with the rest of the game. I used the same Dragon Long Sword +4 from there until the end of the game and it was still dealing decent damage. The worst level in the game was 5-2 by a long shot, the poison swamp where you move 2 MPH. It also has the worst slowdown in the game. Despite everyone disliking it, 4-2 was one of my favorite levels in the game.

The de-leveling boss knocked me down 4-5 levels in the fight where I actually beat him. I was worried because the end boss was near, but you guys know how that turned out haha.

Sarcasm

I think I did a bad thing.

In 4-2 I been killing that demon when killed the ghosts go away. Well I found an Npc, he pushed me down a damn hole. So I see some religious dude and a red guy. Well killed red guy.

I get out and kill the guy who pushed me in, was that a mistake? I think his name was patches.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Patches is a vendor. He's gone for good. I hate that aspect of the game that if they turn antagonistic, they're like that for good.

Prodigal

Banned
So I just started playing this game and I'm about to fight the first boss, any tips for what should I spend my souls on as a knight? I got about 6.5k and haven't upgraded any character stuff yet.

Played this game two years ago and was terrible at it... but after playing through and Platinuming Dark Souls I think I have a greater understanding of this game now and would like to come back to it. I'd like to get the Platinum trophy for this game, and I need the Sage's trophy, Saint's trophy, and most of the weapon upgrade trophies. Can anyone offer me any tips? What kind of character should I play? What equipment is the best to use? How should I go about farming all those materials I need?

zkylon

zkylewd
Prodigal said:
So I just started playing this game and I'm about to fight the first boss, any tips for what should I spend my souls on as a knight? I got about 6.5k and haven't upgraded any character stuff yet.
You can't upgrade your character until you beat the first boss, so don't hold too dear of those 6.5k souls. Upgrade faith to 10 to be able to invoke miracles and then upgrade endurance, vitality and go rotating between dex and str, depending on what kind of weapons you favor.

zkylon

zkylewd
Platinuming this game is a bitch, right? I've beaten all the archdemons and now i'm exploring the worlds again trying to find the white tendency events, but i feel like this is gonna be yet another game i leave unplatinumed. I tried farming lizards for a while but it's just too annoying and i don't think i'll want to beat the game that many more times. NG+ is tempting, though.

Top Bottom