• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sarcasm said:
I think I did a bad thing.

In 4-2 I been killing that demon when killed the ghosts go away. Well I found an Npc, he pushed me down a damn hole. So I see some religious dude and a red guy. Well killed red guy.

I get out and kill the guy who pushed me in, was that a mistake? I think his name was patches.

You won't be able to buy heavy arrows at all and they're not exactly common drops, but on the plus side you get the thief's ring.
This only sucks if you're really invested into using bows.

Also, FUCK black phantom Satsuki. That son of a bitch. I spent hours trying to kill him on my new magic focused character yesterday, I was up till 2am. Shrine of Storms started or became pure black tendency so I was forced to do the other worlds because that fucker would keep running at me 100MPH the INSTANT I zoned into Shrine of Storms, followed by a one hit kill.

Then I figured out I could cast Cloak and it would make him run back to his spawn point but I still couldn't do shit. Eventually I got a bunch of spells from slaying demons in other worlds. Soul Arrow seemed to be the best but he would constantly roll and when I got him down to no health I'd have to use a fresh spice and the instant I did was when he healed himself to full.

He's certainly the most frustrating enemy so far(though Garl Vinland is stepping up, that's another story), worse than any boss in the game I've fought. I kept hoping a soul sign would pop up so I could team kill him, but one would never show up. I tried dropping a soul sign myself thinking if I helped someone kill the boss it might give me white tendency, but I'd always die either at Adjudicator or some other stupid way.

So against Satsuki I tried melee, didn't work, tried backstabs, didn't work(he'd roll away then heal to full), tried ranged magic, didn't work. Eventually the way I killed him was to use Soul Arrow almost point blank so he couldn't dodge it while being careful to avoid his horizontal slash he does as a follow up attack(which would 1 hit kill me), and I ended up getting a ton of counter hits. Eventually I cornered him and killed that fucker dead. Most satisfying moment of my life.

Now I can finally farm some souls in 4-2. Which was the plan when I started this character.

The two hardest stages for me as a melee oriented character were super easy as a magic user. Tower of Latria 1 and Valley of Defilement 1&2 were so easy as a magic user it was ridiculous.
I guess it helps knowing the layouts, but not having to worry about positioning so much and knowing my ranged attacks would actually kill stuff was a great relief.

Mihku

Is there a way to get rid of the pure black world tendency? Stuck in 4-2 (extra 2 black phantom gold skeletons hit like a truck) and stuck in 5-2 (those big dudes with clubs that hit like a truck and you are in the swamp unable to even roll). Really want to finish the game before moving on to Dark Souls, but man this is super hard.

Also tried to kill black phantom Satsuki, without luck. Got close once after 10 minutes of fighting, but then he got through once and killed me in one hit.

If there is no way to get back to normal WT I guess I'll have to wait till the end of the month, or try again this weekend.

Ourobolus

Banned
Mihku said:
Is there a way to get rid of the pure black world tendency? Stuck in 4-2 (extra 2 black phantom gold skeletons hit like a truck) and stuck in 5-2 (those big dudes with clubs that hit like a truck and you are in the swamp unable to even roll). Really want to finish the game before moving on to Dark Souls, but man this is super hard.

Also tried to kill black phantom Satsuki, without luck. Got close once after 10 minutes of fighting, but then he got through once and killed me in one hit.

If there is no way to get back to normal WT I guess I'll have to wait till the end of the month, or try again this weekend.
You can play offline. If you kill BP Satsuki it'll bring the WT back up to just below neutral. BP Selen in 5-2 will do the same for that world. Also, killing the Primeval Demon in each world will do the same.

So, do this:
Play offline.
Go to World 4-1, kill BP Satsuki. Without returning to the Nexus, make it to 4-2 and kill the Primeval Demon. You should be at WT, but not PWWT.
Go to World 5-2, kill BP Selen Vinland. Without returning to the Nexus, kill the Primeval Demon in 5-2. Same status.

If you want WT up in the other worlds, just do the same steps. Kill BP and Primeval Demon without returning to the Nexus.

Note: In Latria, the Primeval Demon is in 3-2, and the BP is in 3-1. There's no way to go from 3-2 to 3-1, so you'll have to kill the BP first.

Akainu

Some asshole magician invaded my game just now. Made him fall down a hole. HA!

And just the other day I invade someones game. And fortunately for me he must of been away at the time so I just back stabbed him over and over til he died. HAHA!!! Multiple penetrations.

oracrest

Ourobolus said:
You can play offline. If you kill BP Satsuki it'll bring the WT back up to just below neutral. BP Selen in 5-2 will do the same for that world. Also, killing the Primeval Demon in each world will do the same.

So, do this:
Play offline.
Go to World 4-1, kill BP Satsuki. Without returning to the Nexus, make it to 4-2 and kill the Primeval Demon. You should be at WT, but not PWWT.
Go to World 5-2, kill BP Selen Vinland. Without returning to the Nexus, kill the Primeval Demon in 5-2. Same status.

If you want WT up in the other worlds, just do the same steps. Kill BP and Primeval Demon without returning to the Nexus.

Note: In Latria, the Primeval Demon is in 3-2, and the BP is in 3-1. There's no way to go from 3-2 to 3-1, so you'll have to kill the BP first.

If you want to get really fancy,
kill the first BP enemy offline, then connect online, and DON'T ENTER NEXUS! Invade as a BP into another game, and kill the primeval right when the second "invading world..." message comes up. Die as BP. Instant quit if host dies. Then, turn off and on while offline, and kill the BP again. Go to the nexus when offline, and the two primevals and BP will push you to full white. World 5 has rare pure white events, FYI... also there's something to be said for obeying the intended system. Cheat at will!

zkylon

zkylewd
Killed all the archdemons and been looking for pure white world events. I think i'm gonna leave the pure black stuff for NG+. Feels like i should enjoy the game fresh and not worry about the trophies first.

Ourobolus

Banned
zkylon said:
Killed all the archdemons and been looking for pure white world events. I think i'm gonna leave the pure black stuff for NG+. Feels like i should enjoy the game fresh and not worry about the trophies first.
That's the best way, IMO. Play through once not really caring, then go for it. You can't get all the trophies until your 4th playthrough anyway.

slimer5

Neo Member
finally took the plunge and bought this game. should be here in the next couple days. just wanted to ask if there's an online guide that any of you suggest I should read before playing. Or is it better to just go in blind and learn as I go?

zkylon

zkylewd
slimer5 said:
finally took the plunge and bought this game. should be here in the next couple days. just wanted to ask if there's an online guide that any of you suggest I should read before playing. Or is it better to just go in blind and learn as I go?
Keep demonssouls.wikidot.com handy for reference on some things, but i'd suggest not to abuse it. The site's forums got a few beginner's guides too.

Revisiting Demon's Soul again after finishing up Dark Souls. I wish my old PS3 didn't die and take my old save-game with it.

First run with Demon's Souls was as a Royal / pure caster --- at one point mid-game I was a bit of a hybrid caster/melee - had a rough time of that, then focused on casting after and things became easier.

This time around, rolling a knight and thinking of going for a STR build. My last time playing, I didn't really bother with weapon upgrades at all - probably why I had such a hard time with melee, I was always focused on 'just leveling up'. If anything, Dark Souls taught me the importance of upgrading my gear. So, going to take my time to work on that this time around.

Cleared 1-1, opened up the Shortcut in 2-1 and pushing along. Black World Tendency is making things interesting :)

Surprised to see how active the online for this game still is.

zkylon

zkylewd
Aw man i think Ostrava got himself killed. Can't find him anywhere on 1-1 or 1-2 or 1-3. So bummed, i really liked the guy.

Any way to tell if he's dead?

Lucentto

Banned
Wow. The online in this game is actually still active? I want to go back to this game, compared to Dark Souls I like it much more.

Uriah

So do enemy bosses health scale with your level? I'm getting my ass handed to me by both maneater(s) and firelurker and I was wondering if grinding my character to a higher level would help.

zkylon

zkylewd
Uriah said:
So do enemy bosses health scale with your level? I'm getting my ass handed to me by both maneater(s) and firelurker and I was wondering if grinding my character to a higher level would help.
They don't scale. It helps to grind, but equipment, preparation and study of the bosses are the keys to success.

Lucentto said:
Wow. The online in this game is actually still active? I want to go back to this game, compared to Dark Souls I like it much more.

Very active - was working my way through 2-1/3-1 the other night - and usually within a few seconds of placing down my summon stone I'd get called into another world.

I was going in with the mindset "Chances are anyone left playing is going to be high-level, doing PvP in NG+ and beyond - won't see much starting-game action", and was shocked at how active it was. In the span of an hour or two I was probably summoned 5 times.

Leunam

zkylon said:
They don't scale. It helps to grind, but equipment, preparation and study of the bosses are the keys to success.

Every attack they do has a tell so this is definitely something important.

oracrest

For Maneater and Flamelurker, mastering the roll is important. I also don't use autolock much in these fights. I go back to the monster hunter claw grip and free wheel the camera. You can roll more accurately that way.

Number45

oracrest said:
For Maneater and Flamelurker, mastering the roll is important. I also don't use autolock much in these fights. I go back to the monster hunter claw grip and free wheel the camera. You can roll more accurately that way.
Spatial awareness is key for Flamelurker. If you know where you're going (backwards/sideways) and won't be impeded the fight is very straightforward, unfortunately there's a lot of shit in that room that makes it difficult. That's how it seems to me anyway, the only time I got in trouble (which was a lot, to be fair) was when I rolled into something and limited my movement options.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, Ostrava's definitively dead. Damn that idiot. Had some fun killing Black Phantoms and i think i'm gonna go beat the last worlds and finish the game. Demon's Souls is by far one of the most special and better designed games of this generation. I'm crazy happy of having given it a second chance.

oracrest said:
Yeah, unlocking the camera helped me a lot when fighting Maneater.

Psy-Phi

I still need a perfect bladestone...god damn game. I quit last year because of it (after 258 attempts with nothing). Now, after finishing Dark Souls, I've got a desire to platinum this game again. So I went to make a run, and my world is of course no longer Perfect Black (stupid online bug still exists).

It's been so long since i played. Can you purchase Ephemeral Eyes from any one infinitely? I need to kill myself a few times, and I'm not trying to play through the game yet again on NG++++++++ just to get more Ephemeral Eyes.

The reason I want to be alive is I'm going to start lookin for a kind hearted soul to summon and drop a maxed out sharp weapon so I can get that damn trophy (I need 4 other trophys for weapons too but I have the components to make them, just not the souls and time). That and I'd like to kill myself and make the run to the Black Skeletons again in an attempt. You don't know how elated i would be to see a Perfect Bladestone drop.....

My SL was kind of high back then, at 150 something, but now it may not be.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
What carries over into a NG+? Specifically do unused stones carry over? The drop rate/loot table in this game is incredibly stupid.

zkylon

zkylewd
Jive Turkey said:
What carries over into a NG+? Specifically do unused stones carry over? The drop rate/loot table in this game is incredibly stupid.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/newgame-plus said:
What will be carried over

The following items will carry over from one NG lifecycle to the subsequent NG lifecycle (e.g. from NG+ to NG++)

All Consumables and Upgrade Stones. This includes Eye Stones, which enables you to summon phantoms in 1-1
All Demon's Souls
All Weapons, Armor and Shields
All Miracles and Spells, your memorized ones will also remain the same
World Tendency
Character Tendency
Soul Level and Stats
Worlds 1-3, 1-4 and False King will be accessible without defeating any Archdemons (after completing 1-1 and 1-2, however)
The items mentioned above include those stored with Stockpile Thomas.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh man the Black Phantoms were awesome. The fight against Selen was epic. I got hurt bad and poisoned and used a royal lotus just as i had no visible health bar left and just kept pushing her back so i could have enough distance to heal. Then as she attempted to heal herself i tried to corner her and just hit her with all i had until she finally fell. My heart was racing the whole time. So amazing.

Now i have the Friend's Ring and all i have left is finishing the game. What an experience.

zkylon said:
Oh man the Black Phantoms were awesome. The fight against Selen was epic. I got hurt bad and poisoned and used a royal lotus just as i had no visible health bar left and just kept pushing her back so i could have enough distance to heal. Then as she attempted to heal herself i tried to corner her and just hit her with all i had until she finally fell. My heart was racing the whole time. So amazing.

Now i have the Friend's Ring and all i have left is finishing the game. What an experience.

Same here man, went into 5-2 to get BP Selen for the Friend's Ring myself. Now I'm debating whether or not to go pure black CT and do the Mephistopheles quests, although I already have like 20 colorless demon souls stockpiled, and a Talisman of Beasts from Scirvir... Figured I would make the best of these tendency pushes, after completing my NG++.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finally beat this thing. The False King took me like 8 tries but i managed to kill him thanks to Warding and some skillful dodging. Awesome final boss. Beat it at SL 86, without much grinding, just a couple of Reaper runs every now and then to get an extra Miracle slot and the likes.

Just beat Phallanx on NG+ and i'm gonna try to keep Ostrava alive this time.

greyshark said:

I'm guessing they will probably do it again at Christmas.

I like it when they do the pure black / pure white stuff - I never fully understood how to change things myself, so it's nice to be able to take advantage of some of the events that only happen at the different tendencies.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Tylahedras said:
I'm not buying Dark Souls till I platinum this damn thing. COME ON PURE BLADESTONE DAMN YOU!
My bf got it early on when he wasn't even looking for it, I remember I raged hard because I had to kill the Black Phantom Dual Katana Black Skeleton over and over and over to get that damn stone. So many times that I ended up with 99 shards of bladestone, I think I probably already had over 30 of those. It wasn't that tough though,since I was a magic/melee character and I used soulsucker from the back which is an insta kill but still that took way too long for me.

bj00rn_

Banned
zkylon said:

One other important key thing to study when it comes to bosses is...the camera...and when to use lock on or not..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tylahedras said:
I'm not buying Dark Souls till I platinum this damn thing. COME ON PURE BLADESTONE DAMN YOU!

I'm kind of in the same boat, only I already bought DaS. But I won't PLAY it until I manage to snag my DeS platinum. I think I'm in good shape to do so, but I'll probably be farming for Pure Bladestones as well as soon as I manage to get the Friend Ring (very close)!

greyshark

rogerroger22 said:
I'm guessing they will probably do it again at Christmas.

I like it when they do the pure black / pure white stuff - I never fully understood how to change things myself, so it's nice to be able to take advantage of some of the events that only happen at the different tendencies.

Yeah - the PBWT events are very useful for farming.

Debating if I want to take my current character down a DEX or STR path. At about 24str, DEX is lowish right now (forget). Thinking of bringing it up a bit to atleast meet some of the min-requirements on some items I'm finding and then decide which way to focus after that.

I did a dex-based character in Dark Souls, and was leaning towards heavy-hitting STR guy in Demon's Souls, but I always seem to fall for the faster weapons and/or ranged combat.

Not sure if have the patience/timing to wait to land one-heavy 2handed hit with a STR weapon, I tend to like to run in swinging with a faster one, landing a few hits then backing off s needed.

MoxManiac

Got my Pure Bladestone last night after 2 hours of farming. I actually stared at the screen for like 2 minutes trying to soak in the fact that it actually dropped.

Unfortunately I exhausted all the 4-x lizards so no pure darkmoon for me this cycle :(

Question: Is there a ring that lets you walk through the swamp at normal speed? (Like the Iron Rusted Ring from Dark Souls).

Would make my trip into 5-2 slightly less annoying.

Top Bottom