• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Defuser

rogerroger22 said:
Question: Is there a ring that lets you walk through the swamp at normal speed? (Like the Iron Rusted Ring from Dark Souls).

Would make my trip into 5-2 slightly less annoying.
Sadly there's none. What I can suggest is to wear thief's ring and walk around on the right,that way you won't attract those big enemies.

Now that October is over, the pure black tendency is over, right? I've been meaning to play this game since I bought it last Black Friday, but from what I'd gathered, the pure black tendency would have been too much for a new player to undertake.

dubc35

TangoAlphaLima said:
Now that October is over, the pure black tendency is over, right? I've been meaning to play this game since I bought it last Black Friday, but from what I'd gathered, the pure black tendency would have been too much for a new player to undertake.
Whoops, I didn't realize there was something going on. I started a game yesterday. Obviously I died a lot but that's what I expected to happen, lol.

oracrest

Defuser said:
Sadly there's none. What I can suggest is to wear thief's ring and walk around on the right,that way you won't attract those big enemies.

And also try and run back to an island to fight if you can.

Daante

I finally bought this game and have been playing a bit now.
Only managed myself trough 1-1 and 1-2 , playing a Priest, and yeah have died alot..

This is a INCREDIBLE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
MoxManiac said:
Got my Pure Bladestone last night after 2 hours of farming. I actually stared at the screen for like 2 minutes trying to soak in the fact that it actually dropped.

4 nights and 2.1 million souls later, I'm still trying.
Did you go for the Black Skele in the 4-2 hidden passage, or the Black Phantom Black Skele most easily reached by sprinting back from the 4-3 archstone? World tendency?

Mejilan said:
Did you go for the Black Skele in the 4-2 hidden passage, or the Black Phantom Black Skele most easily reached by sprinting back from the 4-3 archstone? World tendency?

Damn, that's just overkill even for achievement whores lol
Hours/days of farming the same enemy for a few drops.

Mejilan

That's the thing, I'm not even a trophy whore.
I'll manage it for stupidly easy plats like Darksiders or Infamous, but I'd never bother for something like this that requires 4 or 5 runs to achieve everything.

But damn it all, I want that PBS!!
Now it's flat-out pigheadedness.
I am SO close to essentially 100%'ing this first run. And that includes all tendency events!
I can't quit now!

MoxManiac

Mejilan said:

4-2 secret passage skeleton. Pure Darkmoon stone still eludes me though.

Mejilan

MoxManiac said:
4-2 secret passage skeleton.
Yeah, so much faster than the BP version. Thanks for confirming that I haven't been wasting my time. Entirely.

Pure Darkmoon stone still eludes me though.
Is that crystal lizard only? I don't recall that one offhand, since I wound up finding it in my inventory after finishing up a boss or something. There's a neat trick that basically allows you to get infinite spawns of individual lizards... Doesn't even take that long either.

MoxManiac

DeS platnium only requires 3.5 runs. and the runs are pretty fast after the first.

pure darkmoon is lizard only. I already exhausted the 4-x lizards that drop it this playthrough.

Mejilan said:
Yeah, so much faster than the BP version. Thanks for confirming that I haven't been wasting my time. Entirely.

Is that crystal lizard only? I don't recall that one offhand, since I wound up finding it in my inventory after finishing up a boss or something. There's a neat trick that basically allows you to get infinite spawns of individual lizards... Doesn't even take that long either.

I think it is Crystal Lizard only, and only from 4-2 and 4-3. Watched my friend nearly smash the controller as he watched his last spawn chance of it for his play through run into the distance.

Mejilan

The trick for 'infinite' lizard spawns involves recognizing that the game won't autosave until after a drop is looted and confirmed. A few things to consider:
1) locate an easily cornered late-world (x-2, x-3, etc.) lizard with a confirmed pure drop;
2) kill off nearby enemies, leaving the lizard isolated. Bonus points if the very last one has a drop that you've just collected;
3) chase and kill the lonely lizard;
4) press X over the loot to display the contents window, but DO NOT press X again to confirm the drop and dismiss the loot window;
5a) if you got your drop... Enjoy!
5b) if you did not get the desired drop, hold down the PS button while the loot window is still on screen and force-quit out of the game; and
6) reload the game and your profile. You should resume at your last autosave prior to killing the lizard, with in-stage progress intact. Just hunt that poor lizzie again and repeat the process from step 3, as needed! Easy-peasy!

Anyone willing to trade or gift me a spare PBS?

Fell into a Demon's Souls marathon-play session, and sorta forgot that killing the False King triggers the end game. I had wanted to do some farming / turning worlds back to pure black / killing old king doran / etc before starting NG+ to kill some of the black phantoms I had missed.

Meh, always NG+ I suppose.

Just got frustrated on the dragon - got him down to 50%, flew to the second perch. Bior was keeping him occupied - I found a safe spot and started to pelt him with arrows. Bior dies, dragon could now hit me.

Go inside, deal with Ostrava and his BP - decide to see 'can I kill this dragon?' - get killed trying to find a new safe spot with 45k souls on hand. Thus began 2 hours of frustrated gaming, stupid deaths - probably died to the red knight at the top of the stairs about 6 times when I haven't had problems with them at all this play through before this.

Get to the False King, forget to have the right things equipped - was over 50% burden, too much random crap in my quick use - have a stupid death. Force-quit the game, come back outside of his fog gate - better prepare myself and kill them then think "Ooooh yeah, there was shit I wanted to do before I did this...."

Ah well, False King was a fun fight - was easier than I expected as a pure melee - lvl 65, DEX focus, mix of silver/gloom armour, hiltless upgraded a bit with a smattering of black turpentine now and then. Mostly kept my distance and waited for him to do his charge attack and would use that opening to get a few hits in.

Thats what I get when I start playing at 12am and keep going till 4:30

Suppose I can still do some stuff, just not level up - but meh might as well finish the task at hand.

Finished this play through only using my bow on dragons / to lure enemies, never memorized a spell or a miracle either.

oracrest

rogerroger22 said:
Fell into a Demon's Souls marathon-play session, and sorta forgot that killing the False King triggers the end game. I had wanted to do some farming / turning worlds back to pure black / killing old king doran / etc before starting NG+ to kill some of the black phantoms I had missed.

Just got frustrated on the dragon - got him down to 50%, flew to the second perch. Bior was keeping him occupied - I found a safe spot and started to pelt him with arrows. Bior dies, dragon could now hit me.

Go inside, deal with Ostrava and his BP - decide to see 'can I kill this dragon?' - get killed trying to find a new safe spot with 45k souls on hand. Thus began 2 hours of frustrated gaming, stupid deaths - probably died to the red knight at the top of the stairs about 6 times when I haven't had problems with them at all this play through before this.

Get to the False King, forget to have the right things equipped - was over 50% burden, too much random crap in my quick use - have a stupid death. Force-quit the game, come back outside of his fog gate - better prepare myself and kill them then think "Ooooh yeah, there was shit I wanted to do before I did this...."

Ah well, False King was a fun fight - was easier than I expected as a pure melee - lvl 65, DEX focus, mix of silver/gloom armour, hiltless upgraded a bit with a smattering of black turpentine now and then. Mostly kept my distance and waited for him to do his charge attack and would use that opening to get a few hits in.

Thats what I get when I start playing at 12am and keep going till 4:30

Suppose I can still do some stuff, just not level up - but meh might as well finish the task at hand.

Finished this play through only using my bow on dragons / to lure enemies, never memorized a spell or a miracle either.

Such a great way to play through the first time. Melee is the heart of this game, and the combat complexity.

Mejilan

oracrest said:
But that doesn't count. ;)
The plat in my list says otherwise. :)
To be honest, I got my challenge out of carefully managing my world and character tendencies in such a fashion as to hit every single tendency event in a single play run. To say nothing of deeply exploring the maps and mastering the many exploitable enemy patterns!

Replaying the game 3 or 4 times because a one-off major boss drop can be used for 3 or 4 different things... is neither challenging nor enjoyable. Not in the short term. It's just tedious and artificial. (Well, the tendency management was insanely artificial as well, but there's something satisfying in seeing the pieces of a 60+ hour long puzzle fall into place with a click!)

I'm now satisfyingly done with DeS. I had a spectacular time in the 61 hours I invested in (well, save for those last few hours of PBS farming), and I'm already 6 hours into DaS. And with all of the major DeS events and trophies behind me, if I do feel the urge to scratch the itch a few years down the line, I can comfortably resume a NG+ and just go with the flow!

I'd much rather move on to DaS than play through DeS again. At least for the foreseeable future!

rogerroger22 said:

I think you can still kill Doran and do the tendency events and stuff after beating all the archdemons (in fact it's probably better to do it before facing the Old One because all the black phantoms will be tougher in NG+ and the crystal lizards will be harder to kill) but you can't level up which leaves you carrying a lot of souls round.

So I got cornered and cursed, twice now, and lost a load of health. How do I fix this without going to the church?

Edit: Ignore my post. Thought this was a Dark Souls thread.

oracrest said:
Such a great way to play through the first time. Melee is the heart of this game, and the combat complexity.

My first time playing a few years ago, did it as a pure caster - and cheesing every boss that I could.

Doing it as melee, and going toe to toe with everything really did give me a new appreciation for the game. Never really appreciated how cool fights like Tower Knight were until I wasn't hiding behind world geometry slinging soul arrows at him.

The fight with the king at the end felt more like a well choreographed dance - luring out his charge attack, rolling in time to miss getting hit, taking a few swings before he recovers and dodging away before he could get in many/any hits.

Daante

Finished the game this morning.

Very, very good game overall. Probably one of the best and most memorable games i have ever played in recent years.

Guess what game i bought this afternoon..? , Dark Souls.. *big smile*

Akainu

Just killed Flamelurker and Dragon God...I kind of feel sorry for it.

Also this dragon bone smasher is ridiculous. XD

Apdiddy

Jumped around recently on Demon's Souls -- went to 4-1 and got the Fragrant Ring from the crow & Talisman of God and killed the Vanguard while the dude just stood there (Soul Arrow'ed him till he went down). And got Evacuate miracle after cashing a few demon's souls (making sure I don't cash in ones I need, like the one for the Warding spell). Basically, I'll go in to 2-2, kill bearbugs and rockworms ad nauseum to level up. Going to try to tackle the boss for 3-1 and almost got the one for 2-2.

balddemon

Banned
omg this game makes me want to scream and shout with rage...and i haven't even beaten Phalanx yet....I made it to the hilltop with the dragons, but then i fell off. and I turned off the game. so frustrating, but at least i can get my souls back lol. i'm just tired of doing the same level over and over. new class maybe? i'm a hunter.

Apdiddy

Argh, I'm pretty much stuck. I went on a tear and beat 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, and 5-1. I try to do the Dragon God and die every time (don't even reach the second barista). I decide to go after the Old Monk but die due to Black Phantom Mind Flayers. And 4-2 is no luck either.

I'm at Soul Level 57 (got the Purple Flame Shield) as a Knight.

Apdiddy said:
Argh, I'm pretty much stuck. I went on a tear and beat 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, and 5-1. I try to do the Dragon God and die every time (don't even reach the second barista). I decide to go after the Old Monk but die due to Black Phantom Mind Flayers. And 4-2 is no luck either.

I'm at Soul Level 57 (got the Purple Flame Shield) as a Knight.

The Dragon God is a gimmick fight.
Just equip light armor & a powerful one handed sword.
Run to the path & chop down the debris to get to points needed to trigger the cutscenes.
You shouldn't be hit even once.
For the Mind Flayer, try using those items that causes the enemies to go to it & ignore you.

patsu

Look at the DragonGod's head. Run when he's not looking in your direction.

I think its eyes will turn yellow (?) if he notices you. Hide (or run back) at that time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just started replaying this -all started because I wanted to compare my plat trophy times*- last night, and I'm hooked again.

Such a great game, but markedly easier after going through Dark Souls. Main difference is that I find DeS feels "lighter", From really upped the feeling of heftiness in the sequel, and obviously the graphics aren't quite so lush.

Easily best new franchise of this gen for me.

* for the record ~210 for Dark, ~140 for Demon's. (legit - no glitching/duping)

Haunted

entrement said:
What's the best level order? I just beat 1-1 and 2-1 is killing me. Damn spider.
Any of the first levels in each world (except 5) or 1-2 is fine.

You should be able to do 2-1 though.

There's a Winged Spear in 1-2 that helps with the 2-1 enemies iirc.

23h in and, oh my, what a fantastic game. It's getting somewhat easy now with my SL 56 Royal ATM but other than that, the gameplay is fantastic. I love the oldschool vibe Demon's Souls has.

Anyone else felt SMT: Nocturne was harder than Demon's Souls though? I'm like 70% through already (in case there is no 10h end game after the Valley of Defilement) and have lost the feeling of omnipresent danger somewhat.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Once you know what you're doing, Demon's is easy. Shockingly so after Dark Souls.

Still great fun though; if you want to up the challenge just go offline and force WT to pure black (which you really need for pure bladestones) by reviving/suiciding a few times.

Clear said:
Once you know what you're doing, Demon's is easy. Shockingly so after Dark Souls.

Still great fun though; if you want to up the challenge just go offline and force WT to pure black (which you really need for pure bladestones) by reviving/suiciding a few times.

Is Dark Souls harder? Do Demon's Souls fans consider it a worthy sequel?

I'm playing offline by the way. Do the demons drop more souls when I'm pure black? I intended to go pure black anyway as I wanted to get hold of the Talisman of Beasts (can't get it the Scirvir, the Wanderer way any longer).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Imp the Dimp said:
I'm playing offline by the way. Do the demons drop more souls when I'm pure black? I intended to go pure black anyway as I wanted to get hold of the Talisman of Beasts (can't get it the Scirvir, the Wanderer way any longer).

Closer to pure black = more souls/difficulty, plus an enhanced chance of item drops.
Closer to pure white = less souls/difficulty, plus an enhanced chance of healing item drops.

Dark Souls is, in my opinion at least, much tougher. The bosses give you far less breathing room to figure out the best strategy, and later on it loads up on environmental hazards that dictate your play-style to an extent.

In Demon's you are constantly attacking a gauntlet of foes, whereas in Dark you are stuck down there among them, so it feels somewhat different even if the gameplay is pretty much identical.

Does anyone know where I can find the track that plays when you're logging into the server and choosing your character?

The one that sounds like a remix of the song that plays in the Nexus.

Fucking Yurt.

I freed him on my first play through, and didn't have a clue what was going on as bodies started appearing in the Nexus, until it was too late and he'd killed characters who were pretty much vital to me. Had to start again.

So I ran into Yurt and stopped should I just kill him? I hear he is sort of a dick.

he is sort of a dick. whether you should kill him immediately depends on a few things, including whether you rely heavily on spells, and whether you are playing for the first time. and whether you want to wear his badass armor.

So is there anyway to do area 1-2 called Phalanx archstone? I thought someone told me months ago to do that next but the dragon always kills me on the bridge in the beginning. Ah I doing something wrong? I think I beat the first 3 bosses so far IIRC.

oracrest

So is there anyway to do area 1-2 called Phalanx archstone? I thought someone told me months ago to do that next but the dragon always kills me on the bridge in the beginning. Ah I doing something wrong? I think I beat the first 3 bosses so far IIRC.

Don't forget about the run button, that is critical.

On each bridge section, there will be a pile of chard bodies on the ground, near where the dragon will swoop down. Wait there cautiously, and when the dragon swoops down, take off running after him, and don't worry about picking up any items.

Top Bottom