• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Luck doesn't help with getting pure stones. High luck means more chances of drops from enemies, but crystal lizards always drop items, so it's useless. Sorry you wasted your build, lol. Then again you're just grinding away at boring shit for an irrelevant trophy so... *shrugs* your loss.
Fucking From Soft, lol. They're such jokers.

This character is purely for trophies, so I don't care about the build, I'm already @ SL199 thanks to this stupid luck stat!

Edit - Finally did it. 3-3 Crystal Lizard did indeed drop a pure moonlight. Wow, getting platinum in DeS is way more effort than DaS. Dunno if it was worth it after all that!

Endo Punk

OK I've had enough with the grinding and would really like any awesome blue soul to help me platinum this blasted game.

I'm Soul level 128 and would like following souls, please:

Dragon God Demon Soul.
Pureblood Demon Soul x2
Hard Spider Demon Soul.
Leechmonger(Wriggling) Demon Soul.
Adjudicator Swollen Demon Soul.
Old Monk(Yellow) Demon Soul.
Storm King Demon Soul.

And I would also like to hold the following weapon/rings. Will return right away:

Foe's Ring.
Friends Ring.
Northern Regalia Sword.
Fully upgraded Blessed weapon.
Fully upgraded Fatal Weapon.
Fully upgraded Crushing weapon
Fully upgraded Sharp Weapon.

It's quite a lot but if you have platinum for the game it shouldn't be that much trouble. I'd really appreciate it and will help any way I can in return :D

I can help with that Endo Punk. Tell me where/when to put the summon sign etc. My PSN ID same as username here but without spaces.

edit - I think I might be a bit overlevelled than 128, but will check.

I'm @ SL200 after (needlessly) levelling up my luck to 60. You can always dupe a load of souls and level up to a point where you can summon me if no one else can help.
Also on EU servers.

Endo Punk

I can help with that Endo Punk. Tell me where/when to put the summon sign etc. My PSN ID same as username here but without spaces.

edit - I think I might be a bit overlevelled than 128, but will check.

I'm @ SL200 after (needlessly) levelling up my luck to 60. You can always dupe a load of souls and level up to a point where you can summon me if no one else can help.
Also on EU servers.

Thanks. Im on EU server as well, so just give a day or two to increase my levels. I will add you on PSN for help :)

Mentok

Banned
Ok I hate asking this, but I need help,

I need a pure darkmoonstone if anyone has an extra one. SL99, on NA servers. I ran out of crystal lizards AGAIN and really don't want to do another playthrough just for this. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I also need a pure bladestone, but don't mind farming
the hidden passage in 4-2, since that enemy regens.

So yeah, if anyone can help me out, shoot me a PM.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wait, you can get double invaded in this game? I finally got past that blue dragon motherfucker and am cheesing my way through the bitch when I get an invasion thing on my screen. I manage to kill the piece of shit and as I knock him off a ledge I see another red body running towards me. And of course they kill me. WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU INVADE PEOPLE IN THE MEANEST FUCKING AREA OF THE GAME?

This community is filled with cunts.

Oh, one of those was Ostrava? Still, fuck the currently playing community. I had like one successful helpful summon and a a ton of invaders in the 30 hours I have played so far.

Mentok

Banned
Got a pure bladestone! I didn't think farming it was that bad actually. I had a worse time
trying to get the Channeler's Trident
in Dark Souls. Now I guess I'll have to playthrough again for the damn pure darkmoonstone.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU INVADE PEOPLE IN THE MEANEST FUCKING AREA OF THE GAME?

It's not just in Demon's Souls, I've had far more jerks in Dark Souls invading me in areas that were just cruel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's not just in Demon's Souls, I've had far more jerks in Dark Souls invading me in areas that were just cruel.

My community experience in Dark was downright pleasant in comparison. And Dark doesn't seriously gimp your health if you want to lay low and avoid invasions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I finally finished the game after owning it for like 3 years. Beating Dark Souls gave me the motivation I needed since finishing that left a massive Souls gap in my gaming life that was hard to fill. I started a fresh character and did a pretty solid all around build with a focus on dat OP magic. Random notes follow:

• The intelligence stat threw me off initially and I pumped a ton of points into it while not really paying atention since int controls magattack in DKS.
  • The art was phenomenal. This or Naughty Dog games better be the first games to get 1080p/great AA ports from Sony.
  • The Nexus/hub and spoke level design was a cool change from DKS. I still prefer DKS though but just barely.
  • Fuck those loot weight limits. I will never miss those again.
  • My experience with summoning was terrible. I was only able to summon successfully once and I saw very few summon signs (played myabe 80% of the game in human form).
  • My experience with invaders was even worse. I'm not the greatest at these games but I managed to win ~60% of invasions in DKS on PC.
  • The absolute worst moment was having some asshole invader oneshot backstab me as I walked through the fog door to the 3-3 boss fight.
  • I wish there had been more optional boss fights or some DLC like DKS. DKS had a fuckton of bosses including some amazing optional ones like Gwyndolin, so that really left me spoiled.
  • Didn't even bother with the Tendencies system because it's fucking stupid. It pissed me off missing some great loot due to my hopes that I would be able to summon some jolly sunbros online.
Despite my irritations with a couple aspects of the game, I still loved the shit out of it (pumped around ~30 hours into it in one week). I think From has found such a wonderful unique way to build RPGs and they better never stop. I hope we get both a Demon's Soul sequel along side Dark Souls II. It is the one game that would make me run to a store to buy a PS4 without thinking. I'm definitely gonna replay it DS when my sunbro nabs his friends PS3 and picks up a copy.

Calibus

I too am finding myself able to enjoy game (something I could not do the first two times I attempted it). Once I found my rhythm with it and understood more about the world and the limitations (as well as the slight advantages) it sets, it really gets its claws in you. You have to take your time with and (to a degree) treat every encounter like a boss battle.

Glad I took GAF's advice and went Royalty class -- man what a difference.

In the twilight of Demon's Souls's online community, I think the game would be well-served by an option to change world/character tendency at least once on a whim. Maybe an item that appears in shops in NG+ and beyond with a high soul cost. Because you really can't count on being able to invade/co-op anymore.

Soulhouf

In the twilight of Demon's Souls's online community, I think the game would be well-served by an option to change world/character tendency at least once on a whim. Maybe an item that appears in shops in NG+ and beyond with a high soul cost. Because you really can't count on being able to invade/co-op anymore.

If there is no online, you don't need that ring either.
So, yeah, whatever...

Calibus

Man this game is thoroughly consuming my free time. Had to put it down though, because I was at the point where I was starting to hit a wall. Specifically
the Maneater boss battle -- I run to the brazier behind him for 360 coverage, but just can't quite seem to win the dance. Ugh.

If there is no online, you don't need that ring either.
So, yeah, whatever...

How do you mean? I'm just saying such an item would be useful to manage world tendency when you can't rely on online as much anymore. Better than repeatedly dying in a world or turn it black or something.

Soulhouf

How do you mean? I'm just saying such an item would be useful to manage world tendency when you can't rely on online as much anymore. Better than repeatedly dying in a world or turn it black or something.

You can still manipulate the WT as you wish even if you are 100% offline.
CT is harder to do so, but the reward of character tendency are 2 rings only useful to play online.

I see your point, but that would make it too easy IMO.

Calibus

Ugh stuck on Maneater (frickin' Dark Souls bell tower gargoyle flashbacks, or flash-forwards depending on how you look at it). Think I may just be outclassed and need to farm/level.

Ugh stuck on Maneater (frickin' Dark Souls bell tower gargoyle flashbacks, or flash-forwards depending on how you look at it). Think I may just be outclassed and need to farm/level.
There is a cheese/glitch method:
You can kill the first one from outside the fog gate with a bow. Bring your best bow and the clever rat's ring (DeS equivalent of the red tear stone ring). This only kills one of them, but it's a start if you really are having trouble!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So what is this about invading other worlds or being invaded? Would anybody care to explain the system for me?

Calibus

There is a cheese/glitch method:
You can kill the first one from outside the fog gate with a bow. Bring your best bow and the clever rat's ring (DeS equivalent of the red tear stone ring). This only kills one of them, but it's a start if you really are having trouble!

Thanks I'll look into that method.

Sullichin

Thanks I'll look into that method.
Where's the fun in that!
Like every other boss it's a matter of learning their tells. The charge attack is the most dangerous. You should dodge to the side for that, not toward or away from the maneater.
You can attack while they're buffing (stabbing themselves with their tail), do some damage and cancel the buff.
The middle area with the fire is probably the safest place to be for most of the fight, retreating when possible to separate them. There's lots of opportunities to grass/spice as long as you don't get cornered by 2 of them.

You can also invade when you're in soul form.
You can only invade in soul form - I don't remember if you can be summoned in human form, but I don't think so, because it restores your human form after you beat the boss like it does if you win an invasion.

I wonder how it will work in DS2.I think only being able to invade as soul form was a good idea for balance, but it's a little silly to continually suicide after each invasion so you can continue to invade.

Soulhouf

You can only invade in soul form - I don't remember if you can be summoned in human form, but I don't think so, because it restores your human form after you beat the boss like it does if you win an invasion.

I wonder how it will work in DS2.I think only being able to invade as soul form was a good idea for balance, but it's a little silly to continually suicide after each invasion so you can continue to invade.

You can't be summoned in human form as a blue phantom but you can as a black phantom with the red stone IIRC.

DeadcatXL

Banned
Hey Gaf.

Does anyone on the eyropean version have a max sharp weapon? (Level 181 or 518) or pure sharpstone? (Preferb for 518, since the low one just started Ng+++

Love to hear it!

Megawout on psn

Mifune

Mehmber
I put off 5-2 forever, was scared to death of going back to that vile place. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. I just walked along the wall in the swamp until I found my exit. Never even had to face any of the giant depraved ones. Now that I've unlocked the shortcut, I'll go back and see what I missed.

In all honesty, I had a much harder time with 5-1.

Endo Punk

I put off 5-2 forever, was scared to death of going back to that vile place. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. I just walked along the wall in the swamp until I found my exit. Never even had to face any of the giant depraved ones. Now that I've unlocked the shortcut, I'll go back and see what I missed.

In all honesty, I had a much harder time with 5-1.

Give me sparkly twinkly. I was allured by all the stuff you can find and got killed many a times, especially when you have the dreaded meat cleaver phantom chasing you.

kuYuri

I started Demon's Souls for the first time today. Total Souls noob here. I'm enjoying it so far.

How does saving progress work? As in, can I stop playing and then pick up at least from the beginning of the room I started in?

Endo Punk

I started Demon's Souls for the first time today. Total Souls noob here. I'm enjoying it so far.

How does saving progress work? As in, can I stop playing and then pick up at least from the beginning of the room I started in?

If you quit from anywhere in the game you will start from there when you get back. It's only when you die that you are sent back to the beginning of the stage

kuYuri

I beat the first boss in the Boletarian Palace and I didn't die once against it, woo!

Only died once while trying to activate a certain rolling trap. Managed to return to my bloodstain and get the souls back.

So after beating the first boss, I notice you could keep going forward instead of returning back to the Nexus. What was back there?

If you quit from anywhere in the game you will start from there when you get back. It's only when you die that you are sent back to the beginning of the stage

Thanks for that!

I beat the first boss in the Boletarian Palace and I didn't die once against it, woo!

Only died once while trying to activate a certain rolling trap. Managed to return to my bloodstain and get the souls back.

So after beating the first boss, I notice you could keep going forward instead of returning back to the Nexus. What was back there?

Thanks for that!

the second section of the first area. You could continue going forward or go on to another area.

Morfeo

Thanks for that!

Wow really? What class did you play? And you didnt even try out the red-eyed knight?

At my first encounter with 1-1, I died a ton at two places, when you first get to the top of the wall (and gets attacked from two sides, and on the red-eyed knight. The boss was easy though.

I am now on 1-2 with all the dragons, and I wondered - can I take these out with arrows? I stockpilled a ton of arrows for that very reason, but I either dont hit them, or they dont do any damage. What am I doing wrong?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am now on 1-2 with all the dragons, and I wondered - can I take these out with arrows? I stockpilled a ton of arrows for that very reason, but I either dont hit them, or they dont do any damage. What am I doing wrong?

There's only 1 dragon in 1-2, the red one. You encounter the blue one much later.

Yes, they can be killed with arrows (the best way honestly) but it takes quite a while, since the window to hit him is quite narrow. Go on top of the first tower and when he flies over the bridge, aim manually and fire. If you aim/time it right you'll damage it, I think you might see some blood spurt or something. If you move the camera around to follow it flying away, you might still see the (small) damage number around him. It's tedious stuff honestly, and IMO not worth it. I think I killed it once and never again, his breath is very easy to avoid anyway.

kuYuri

Wow really? What class did you play? And you didnt even try out the red-eyed knight?

At my first encounter with 1-1, I died a ton at two places, when you first get to the top of the wall (and gets attacked from two sides, and on the red-eyed knight. The boss was easy though.

I'm playing as a Temple Knight. I didn't fight the red-eyed knight cause I saw a hint warning for beginners to avoid it. I'll be sure to return in the near future though and give it a shot against it now that I'm more comfortable with the controls and the basic mechanics of the game.

Morfeo

There's only 1 dragon in 1-2, the red one. You encounter the blue one much later.

Yes, they can be killed with arrows (the best way honestly) but it takes quite a while, since the window to hit him is quite narrow. Go on top of the first tower and when he flies over the bridge, aim manually and fire. If you aim/time it right you'll damage it, I think you might see some blood spurt or something. If you move the camera around to follow it flying away, you might still see the (small) damage number around him. It's tedious stuff honestly, and IMO not worth it. I think I killed it once and never again, his breath is very easy to avoid anyway.

Ok thanks, so its not worth to kill it? Im not getting any super-special soul or get rid of it for good or anything like that? Is the blue dragon the same that I meet at 1-1?

Edit: Also just got to say, a few pages ago I was complaining a ton about how much I died at the armored spider when I tried to take him out in melee, but seriously with ranged weapons, its not even a fight lol, almost feel like cheating at this point. I also took out the vanguard that way without him even noticing me, and it again felt really cheap, but I guess thats what you have to exploit in a game like this.

If you kill the red dragon you get rid of it for good and get it's soul, but iirc it only nets you souls, there's no weapon to make from it or spells to trade.

It's still worth killing it if you want the soul and to complete everything, but it's easy to run past and not something you need to deal with more than twice (1-1,1-2) so it's probably worth coming back for later when you have max equipment - specifically a bow, high damage arrows and clever rat's ring (increase damage when your HP is below 30%). I tend to stand under the first turret on the bridge, get an arrow ready to fire then as it swoops down, release the arrow and lock on just after, if you leave the lock on your camera will go behind you and you will see the damage taken as it flies by, rinse and repeat.

The blue one is the same as in 1-1, so when they're both dead (or your world tendency is pure white) you can grab all the treasures they guard in 1-1 if you haven't done so already on suicide runs for them.

Morfeo

I tried to kill it, but after wasting like 50 arrows i just gave up and when to the Iron Knight instead. That guy was surprisingly easy, I found a high spot where I couldnt hit me, and just pummeled him with arrows. He didnt take much damage with each, but his health meter went down slow and steady, and with just three arrows left in my inventory, he was finally dead. I kinda regret not at least trying to melee him and get a few more deaths in there, but I guess thats why there is NG+

Tenrius

Ok thanks, so its not worth to kill it? Im not getting any super-special soul or get rid of it for good or anything like that? Is the blue dragon the same that I meet at 1-1?

Edit: Also just got to say, a few pages ago I was complaining a ton about how much I died at the armored spider when I tried to take him out in melee, but seriously with ranged weapons, its not even a fight lol, almost feel like cheating at this point. I also took out the vanguard that way without him even noticing me, and it again felt really cheap, but I guess thats what you have to exploit in a game like this.

You get a special soul, which can only be consumed for a fairly small amount of souls. Killing both dragons also grants you a trophy if you are into that. And yes, the blue dragon is the same, you can fight him in the last area of the palace.

I tried to kill it, but after wasting like 50 arrows i just gave up and when to the Iron Knight instead. That guy was surprisingly easy, I found a high spot where I couldnt hit me, and just pummeled him with arrows. He didnt take much damage with each, but his health meter went down slow and steady, and with just three arrows left in my inventory, he was finally dead. I kinda regret not at least trying to melee him and get a few more deaths in there, but I guess thats why there is NG+
Yeah it's gonna take 100-200 arrows I'd say with an upgraded bow and the ring on.

The Iron Knight is a fun fight melee, well worth having a go next time - very similar melee method to the Iron Golem boss in Dark Souls if you've played it :)

Morfeo

Havent played Dark Souls, this is my Souls debut - and loving it so far!

Went to level 4-1, and how do i take out the red-eyed guys with two swords? Seems nothing I do can stand against their attacks (except running lol)

Soulhouf

Havent played Dark Souls, this is my Souls debut - and loving it so far!

Went to level 4-1, and how do i take out the red-eyed guys with two swords? Seems nothing I do can stand against their attacks (except running lol)

Dodge, backstab, dodge, backstb... until he dies.
You can run past him to grab the Crescent Falchion which is very powerful early in the game.

Morfeo

Dodge, backstab, dodge, backstb... until he dies.
You can run past him to grab the Crescent Falchion which is very powerful early in the game.

I actually have that, got it by killing him with arrows. Its the guy guarding the boss room im having troubles with as there is not really a lot of place to maneuver down there.

Morfeo

Just found a regen ring and leveled up a bit more after clearing 5-1, so I think I will try him head-on tomorrow.

So is it only me, or is 5-1 by far the easiest of the early levels? I just started it yesterday, came to the boss today, and killed him (again) on my first try. I first tried to stand high above him shooting arrows down, and while that worked somewhat decent as he couldnt touch me there and I also did decent damage (I though), his recovery was simply a bit to fast for it to be effective (and it also took me awhile to figure out how much he did recover, wasting a ton of arrows in the process). Finding out that my magic was also to weak, the only option left for me was to go down to face the monster face to face. I equpied my Crescent Falchion with two hands and simply went against him without any real strategy, hacked away as long as my stamina would allow - and he lost one third of his health. Wow! This boss was really weak I though, and even though he did recover some of it, I managed to beat him by simply keeping at that strategy (or lack thereof), not even really bother to dodge or defend at all. Pretty underwhelming boss fight to be sure, but oh so great it feels to finally make some progress in this game. Now back to clear 3-1 or 4-1 tomorrow methinks :)

Soulhouf

Just found a regen ring and leveled up a bit more after clearing 5-1, so I think I will try him head-on tomorrow.

So is it only me, or is 5-1 by far the easiest of the early levels? I just started it yesterday, came to the boss today, and killed him (again) on my first try. I first tried to stand high above him shooting arrows down, and while that worked somewhat decent as he couldnt touch me there and I also did decent damage (I though), his recovery was simply a bit to fast for it to be effective (and it also took me awhile to figure out how much he did recover, wasting a ton of arrows in the process). Finding out that my magic was also to weak, the only option left for me was to go down to face the monster face to face. I equpied my Crescent Falchion with two hands and simply went against him without any real strategy, hacked away as long as my stamina would allow - and he lost one third of his health. Wow! This boss was really weak I though, and even though he did recover some of it, I managed to beat him by simply keeping at that strategy (or lack thereof), not even really bother to dodge or defend at all. Pretty underwhelming boss fight to be sure, but oh so great it feels to finally make some progress in this game. Now back to clear 3-1 or 4-1 tomorrow methinks :)

Since you did 5-1, did you pick up the Blessed Mace?
It's better than the Crescent Falchion against skeletons and it regenerates your health over time.

Morfeo

I did got that yeah, and I actually decided not to drop it to deposit, but wasnt quite sure if it was better than the Falchion or not - so I wanted to try just that tomorrow. Is it simply better - meaning I might as well leave the falchion in the nexus? Or would you recommend changing it a bit depending on the enemy? I really like the mana-recovery of the Falchion, as I already have a shield and the regen ring for health recovery.

Sullichin

I did got that yeah, and I actually decided not to drop it to deposit, but wasnt quite sure if it was better than the Falchion or not - so I wanted to try just that tomorrow. Is it simply better - meaning I might as well leave the falchion in the nexus? Or would you recommend changing it a bit depending on the enemy? I really like the mana-recovery of the Falchion, as I already have a shield and the regen ring for health recovery.

Both of those weapons have advantages and disadvantages, and you can beat the game with any weapon(s). Use whatever you like, and be sure to upgrade the weapons you are using. The mace is more useful against skeletons like Soulhouf said because they're more vulnerable against blunt weapons, crescent weapons are better against enemies weak to magic, and so on..you might find some weapons useful for different situations but still have a go-to weapon, or even use the same weapon for the whole game.

If you want to maximize damage output, you'll want to base your stats around the weapon/upgrade path and/or spells you are using. But you don't have to worry about making a specific build unless you want to or know you really enjoy a certain playstyle.

Top Bottom